• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beginning in January - 18% Gratuity....

How do you feel about the new 18% gratuity charge?

• I AGREE

• I DISAGREE

• I DON'T CARE

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one of the arguments that I am most tired of hearing is that the servers will not provide the same level of service for DDE customers (when they are getting a guaranteed minimum tip of 18%) as other customers who are paying OOP or are on the DDP.

I've said this is not the case many times in this thread, as have others, but I am still reading comments like this.

Servers will not feel overwhelmed to provide the same great service if they know the tip is guaranteed to be 18%. It's not rocket science here.......human nature dictates many of us will do as little as possible if we know our wages or job security will not be affected.

The DDE is not presented to the server until you receive your bill, and thus service has been 'rendered' already. Unless you make the decision to tell your server when ordering that you have a DDE card, they will not know and they will not know they are guaranteed anything.

I am glad that it has been established that this is DDE only at this time. I also understand those who feel irked that their freedom of tipping a discretionary amount has been severely limited. The only way to adjust your tip accordingly for poor service is to talk to a manager.

I for one am hopeful though that if more are talking to managers about poor service, that something will be done to correct the server. Many have complained about Disney's deteriorating service. Maybe this will help service improve overall.

I think one of the arguments that I am most tired of hearing is that the servers will not provide the same level of service for DDE customers (when they are getting a guaranteed minimum tip of 18%) as other customers who are paying OOP or are on the DDP.

I've said this is not the case many times in this thread, as have others, but I am still reading comments like this.

The DDE is not presented to the server until you receive your bill, and thus service has been 'rendered' already. Unless you make the decision to tell your server when ordering that you have a DDE card, they will not know and they will not know they are guaranteed anything.

I am glad that it has been established that this is DDE only at this time. I also understand those who feel irked that their freedom of tipping a discretionary amount has been severely limited. The only way to adjust your tip accordingly for poor service is to talk to a manager.

I for one am hopeful though that if more are talking to managers about poor service, that something will be done to correct the server. Many have complained about Disney's deteriorating service. Maybe this will help service improve overall.

We've eaten at almost all WDW restaurants, and almost every time, we are asked are we on any Disney Dining Plan or discount program? We have DDE, have been on DDP, as well as AP and DVC, so the servers will know that we are entitled to a discount, so this line of thinking may not work. If they stop asking this question, then it will work, but for the most part, we've been asked as soon as we've been seated. We have received horrible service (CRT and Coral Reef, for instance), as well as great service, while using all forms of discounts/plans mentioned above. I really think it depends upon a person's work ethic - if they don't have a positive work ethic, then they aren't going to be great servers, regardless, but may be even worse servers as they don't have any internal motivation to do well since they are getting a tip anyway. On the other hand, I have had bad servers while not using my DDE card or DP, so again, I really think it depends upon that server's work ethic. For the most part, they've been pretty good - and that is coming from someone who has grown up in a restaurant family and seen or heard it all when it comes to restaurants.

That being said, I don't think auto tipping is good, as it has now become a service charge, and is no longer a tip, but based on some of the comments on here about not tipping at all, I totally see why it was necessary.

Thanks, Tiger :)

We've eaten at almost all WDW restaurants, and almost every time, we are asked are we on any Disney Dining Plan or discount program? We have DDE, have been on DDP, as well as AP and DVC, so the servers will know that we are entitled to a discount, so this line of thinking may not work. If they stop asking this question, then it will work, but for the most part, we've been asked as soon as we've been seated. We have received horrible service (CRT and Coral Reef, for instance), as well as great service, while using all forms of discounts/plans mentioned above. I really think it depends upon a person's work ethic - if they don't have a positive work ethic, then they aren't going to be great servers, regardless, but may be even worse servers as they don't have any internal motivation to do well since they are getting a tip anyway. On the other hand, I have had bad servers while not using my DDE card or DP, so again, I really think it depends upon that server's work ethic. For the most part, they've been pretty good - and that is coming from someone who has grown up in a restaurant family and seen or heard it all when it comes to restaurants.

That being said, I don't think auto tipping is good, as it has now become a service charge, and is no longer a tip, but based on some of the comments on here about not tipping at all, I totally see why it was necessary.

That's strange that you've run into that so much. This has come up before on this thread with one other poster, but the vast majority were only asked about the dining plan. Never about a discount card.

We went twice last year, once for four days and once for fourteen days. Both times we were on the DDP. We always stated that we were on the DDP upon being seated, but always presented the DDE card with the bill. We never had a problem presenting the card at this time. Though to be fair, we were never asked about discount cards upon seating. Only asked "Are you using the Dining Plan tonight"?

We ate at:
Kona, Victoria and Albert's (not on DDP and used DDE only - still not asked), Mama Melrose, Boma, LeCellier, Spoodles, LesChefs De France, Mama Melrose (again), Prime Time Cafe, Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's (twice), Narcoosee's, Jiko's, Cap'n Jack's, Liberty Tree Tavern, and Whispering Canyon Cafe.

Maybe we just go to different places than you so you ran into it all the time and we didn't at all.

I read all this whit my toes curled up in my shoes.
Why don’t they pay all waiters and waitresses enough to feed there families and pay the bills?
Coming from Europe its totally weird for us being forced in paying a gratuity . A gratuity from 5 Euro`s (around 8 dollar) is more than enough no matter how many people the party is.
A gratuity is in my humble opinion something to show your appreciation and not as a hidden way to pay wages.

...I am glad that it has been established that this is DDE only at this time. I also understand those who feel irked that their freedom of tipping a discretionary amount has been severely limited. The only way to adjust your tip accordingly for poor service is to talk to a manager....

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it is my understanding that the 18% service charge *will* apply:

to all dining parties property-wide of 6 or more
to all DDE Table Service transactions

So, if one has the Disney Dining Plan and there are 6 or more in your dining party, your check *will* have the automatic 18% added to it.

agnes!

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it is my understanding that the 18% service charge *will* apply:

to all dining parties property-wide of 6 or more
to all DDE Table Service transactions

So, if one has the Disney Dining Plan and there are 6 or more in your dining party, your check *will* have the automatic 18% added to it.

agnes!

Thank you agnes! If you read my prior posts you'll see I am pretty picky about mentioning the 6 or more.

In my post I was referring to all transactions, but yes. If you have a party of 6 or more you will have the fee. Though this was announced a long time ago.

The 18% for all TS transactions is for the DDE only. Which was the new announcement last Friday that inspired this thread.

I read all this whit my toes curled up in my shoes.
Why don’t they pay all waiters and waitresses enough to feed there families and pay the bills?
We can argue this until the cows come home...but in America they just don't do this. It is customary to leave a tip... regardless of anyone's thoughts on the wage structure.
Coming from Europe its totally weird for us being forced in paying a gratuity.
Understood...HOWEVER, I'm sure your country has a few "different" customs that others' find odd. But I would bet you assume that they should apply regardless.
A gratuity from 5 Euro`s (around 8 dollar) is more than enough no matter how many people the party is.
Assuming you dine with a total of 4 people, you leave $8. The server then must give $2 to the bartender, $2 to the bus person, and is left with $4. The server must pay taxes on that and is now left with $3. So, in effect someone has waited on your family for the past hour and a half and (hopefully) made your meal and vacation just a "bit" more magical. You are saying that service is worth exactly $3????

Not to mention - they usually have to pay for basic health insurance and benefits. Even assuming that's $1 from your "tip"...which is actually VERY underestimated...now they're left with $2. Why even go to work for $2 every hour and a half??? It probably cost them more in gas just to get there.

Sorry - I don't agree.

Tipping is the custom in America. When in Rome......

Tipping is the custom in America. When in Rome......

I did NOT say I tip for "just" eight ore ten dollars when visiting the USA.
Just can’t understand why this system is capped alive because I spoke with several people in the park who told me they just could not afford a meal in Disneyland and the tipping. They ordered one meal and one plate and split the meal.
And that where just normal American citizens with normal ore average pay checks at the end of the month.
As they told us they had to save there dollars also a long time before they could visit WDW.

That’s why we are always ashamed on tipping in the USA its NEVER enough. It seems there`s always somebody pulling at the short end of the rope.

By saying something is custom does not justify it. Its “custom “ in the Netherlands to sneak so much bread and fruit as possible in your bag while eating breakfast so they can have a “free” lunch. Totally disgusting in my eyes but its custom

I did NOT say I tip for "just" eight ore ten dollars when visiting the USA.
I apologize if that's not what you meant... but you did say "... a tip of $8 is more than enough no matter how many people are in your party." Not sure how else to take that....:confused3
Just can’t understand why this system is capped alive because I spoke with several people in the park who told me they just could not afford a meal in Disneyland and the tipping. They ordered one meal and one plate and split the meal.
If people are running out of money for food, I might suggest they try counter service which is usually more than 50% less than table service. If you can't afford to tip, my opinion is that you should eat where tips aren't even an issue.

As they told us they had to save there dollars also a long time before they could visit WDW.
In the same vain, servers may be saving to pay their children's healthcare bills or school tuition or to put food on their table. I'm sorry, but for me, it is no excuse to say that WDW is expensive. It IS expensive, and people DO save for months/years. However... if you save for a few more weeks and maybe go one month later... maybe they will also be able to save enough to tip the servers who are trying to support their family.:hippie:

Listen - I'm not arguing that tipping isn't expensive...I'm just arguing that IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS... it doesn't tack on that much to an already expensive vacation. As I see it.. many Europeans visit WDW for 2 weeks at a time. That might easily cost 4 or 5 thousand dollars on it's own. If a family of 4 ate 1 sit down meal daily at $100 per meal, that tip is $18. Take that $18 times their 14 nights and you've got a little over $250 for tips. That $250 to pay the servers fairly is not much in the grand scheme of a 5 THOUSAND dollar trip.

Just my 2 cents...:sad2:

It isn't though. "Optional" implies that not providing a tip, even though service was provided, as just a decision based on personal preference, is legitimate.
It is legitimate, though I would agree it isn't customary or fair to servers who do their jobs well. You may not like that answer, and I'm sure those that work as servers don't. But "discretionary" and "optional" are synonymous in this context.
"Discretionary" implies that sound judgment needs to be applied -- i.e., that the decision must be based on a defensible logical or moral position.
Absolutely not. "Discretionary" simply means "having or using the ability to act or decide according to your own discretion or judgment." One's own judgment can be unsound, illogical, flawed, or indefensible, and it is still "discretion" or "judgment." When a judge in a courtroom sentences somebody to an obviously much too harsh or much too lenient sentence, or no sentence at all, that judge is applying his or her discretionary powers to the sentence. We may think the decision was wrong, morally indefensible, illogical, etc. That doesn't mean the word "discretionary" doesn't apply.

David

Listen - I'm not arguing that tipping isn't expensive...I'm just arguing that IN THE GRAND SCHMEME OF THINGS... it doesn't tack on that much to an already expensive vacation. As I see it.. many Europeans visit WDW for 2 weeks at a time. That might easily cost 4 or 5 thousand dollars on it's own. If a family of 4 ate 1 sit down meal daily at $100 per meal, that tip is $18. Take that $18 times their 14 nights and you've got a little over $250 for tips. That $250 to pay the servers fairly is not much in the grand scheme of a 5 THOUSAND dollar trip.

Just my 2 cents...:sad2:

Just double that 5000 dollar and you get a better idea of the cost for such a trip :rotfl: :rotfl:

And I totally agree of the “lousy” 250 dollar but the fact that Disney is just pulling it out of your pocked by sending an E mail is not the way to deal with this “problem”.

We own a little company and the matter of tipping is a daily custom for us but we decide who earns a tip and who doesn`t.

Assuming you dine with a total of 4 people, you leave $8. The server then must give $2 to the bartender, $2 to the bus person, and is left with $4. The server must pay taxes on that and is now left with $3. So, in effect someone has waited on your family for the past hour and a half and (hopefully) made your meal and vacation just a "bit" more magical. You are saying that service is worth exactly $3????

Not to mention - they usually have to pay for basic health insurance and benefits. Even assuming that's $1 from your "tip"...which is actually VERY underestimated...now they're left with $2. Why even go to work for $2 every hour and a half??? It probably cost them more in gas just to get there.

Sorry - I don't agree. When in Rome......

I have never known a server to tip out 25% to the bartender AND to the bus person. Also, you obviously have not traveled outside the country much. The example Sjaakie is giving....is what a good tip would be in Europe. They INCLUDE a service charge in the bill....the $8 is on top of that.

I understand someone wanting to make a good wage, but servers know the wage going into this job. I know some servers that make as much money or more than school teachers.

What bothers me the most is the sense of entitlement I'm seeing by some posters. I think most servers realistically know they will average 10% in tips, but I'm seeing that some expect at least 18% regardless.

i

I have never known a server to tip out 25% to the bartender AND to the bus person.
It was just simpler to use whole dollar amounts.
I understand someone wanting to make a good wage, but servers know the wage going into this job. I know some servers that make as much money or more than school teachers.
You see, we agree on "something"... because I think school teachers are grossly underpaid for the most part.
What bothers me the most is the sense of entitlement I'm seeing by some posters. I think most servers realistically know they will average 10% in tips, but I'm seeing that some expect at least 18% regardless.

I am not perceiving any sense of entitlement from servers in these threads. It's hard to read "tone" into a message board, and I'm just not seeing it sorry.:confused3 I also disagree with them being OK with 10% average. I think that many servers work very hard and would like to be rewarded with the industry standard of 15-18% assuming they work their butts off.

You know until I read this thread I had no idea how little servers were paid in the States. I just thought Americans were really generous tippers. I must admit I'm a little appalled.

I will tip better in the US after having read this thread. I would very rarely tip more than 15% at home (you gotta be incrediable and I have to be in the most amazing mood) but our servers are paid a living wage ($8/h + tips would be the minimum). 18% seems entirely reasonable given the circumstances. Tipping is almost like charity.

You know until I read this thread I had no idea how little servers were paid in the States. I just thought Americans were really generous tippers. I must admit I'm a little appalled.

I will tip better in the US after having read this thread. I would very rarely tip more than 15% at home (you gotta be incrediable and I have to be in the most amazing mood) but our servers are paid a living wage ($8/h + tips would be the minimum). 18% seems entirely reasonable given the circumstances. Tipping is almost like charity.

:cheer2: :yay: :cheer2::yay: :cheer2::yay: :cheer2::yay: :cheer2:

That`s just how we feel about this all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter