• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beginning in January - 18% Gratuity....

How do you feel about the new 18% gratuity charge?

• I AGREE

• I DISAGREE

• I DON'T CARE

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lillygator

DIS Veteran
I just received an email from the DDE team and at the bottom it states this:
We would also like to inform you that the Walt Disney World® Resort will be implementing an across property policy change regarding gratuity at all food and beverage locations. Effective January 1, 2008, 18% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size. Thank you for your continued support.

Cheers!

The Disney Dining Experience Team

I am not clear if it's if you are using your DDE card or not.

I just got the same email and it was my understand that it is for EVERYONE. My question is does it mean counter service too? It says: "All food and beverage locations"

Got the same email.

I'm assuming its for table service only.

Glad I'm going to Disney this month. Don't think I can afford going next year with all the new resort and food price hikes.

herc.

I hope its for table service only.

The email made it sound like it included counter service. Hopefully it was just poorly worded.

I just got this email as well, I took it to mean EVERYONE too. This is really going to have some people up in arms if it truly does apply to everyone at every table service location. I don't think it means any of the counter service locations since there is no line item on their receipts for a tip, and they have never required one before. But I'm sure it will appy at the bars/lounges.

Speaking for myself the automatic gratuity won't bother me, I usually leave around 20% so this will make it easier for me. If I really feel the service doesn't warrant 18% then I'll speak to a manager about it. Otherwise I'll just go with the flow. Saves me 2% and I don't have to bother with even the simplest math.

I just got this email as well, I took it to mean EVERYONE too. This is really going to have some people up in arms if it truly does apply to everyone at every table service location. I don't think it means any of the counter service locations since there is no line item on their receipts for a tip, and they have never required one before. But I'm sure it will appy at the bars/lounges.

Speaking for myself the automatic gratuity won't bother me, I usually leave around 20% so this will make it easier for me. If I really feel the service doesn't warrant 18% then I'll speak to a manager about it. Otherwise I'll just go with the flow. Saves me 2% and I don't have to bother with even the simplest math.

I agree, 18% should be the minimum gratuity left. If the service is bad, then speak to the manager.

It sounds like that would end the question of what a buffet should be tipped at. I don't like the idea of anyone telling me what I have to pay for a tip.

But as I see it, on the DDP I will give them my card and leave the tip in cash. If the service is crap then I see no reason to leave 18% just because someone hands me a piece of paper saying they deserve it. However, I doubt it will be an issue as I have rarely had bad service warranting less than 18%. I will not be tipping at CS.

My only complaint as I can see how it could lead to apathy on the servers part, they are going to get the same tip no matter how bad or good they do.

(Im with you though I tend to tip better then 18% when Im taken care of well so they will be loosing out on some people)

OK, I too, just got the same email. And it really makes me MAD!!! As a former waitress I know what it's like to "work" for your tips. I don't like being "FORCED" to tip everyone the same amount! I tend to actually tip 20% - 25% in most cases. However, if I have crappy service...I definately tip accordingly. As usual we are trying to "be politically correct" and rewarding bad waiters and waitresses so we don't "OFFEND" anyone. I think this policy stinks and I will definately be eating in my room more than I used to. Glad I'm a DVC owner and I have that option still!

I just got the same DDE email. 18% on table service is OK with us since we normally tip 20%. My only issue will be at the Value Resort Food Courts. If they automatically add 18% tip when using the DDE Card, that would be an issue with us.

Sure....it'll save me money...because I generally round up on a 20% tip for good service--and higher for great service (not that I can't leave extra for great service if it's still given to me).

I'm just afraid the service will be long gone.

THis doesn't bother me a whole lot (and will actually save me some money since I generally tip my DDE discount at 20%).

But this past trip we had two instances where we tipped significantly less. Both were buffets, both we waited over 10 minutes for a drink order to be taken and another 10 minutes for drinks to be delivered. At Chef Mickey's it went even further that when the server took my room charge to be processed it took him (no lie because I was watching the clock to leave for MNSSHP) 15 minutes to bring the check back. If these instances happen on our next trip I guess I will be speaking with the manager and having the 18% removed from the bills....but in general the 18% is fine with me for normal service.

I assumed this gratuity was for everyone, but now that I see exactly what the DDE is I guess it is probably not. My bet is that they want the tip calculated before the discount. I assume that a lot of people tipped on the final bill after the DDE discount and that is not appropriate so this is probably how they fix that problem. I still don't ever think a tip should be added in. Suggested, maybe, but not added in.

I think so too. I did respond and ask a few questions and hopefully they will get back to me soon. I would bet they are getting lots of questions regarding this.

OK, I too, just got the same email. And it really makes me MAD!!! As a former waitress I know what it's like to "work" for your tips. I don't like being "FORCED" to tip everyone the same amount! I tend to actually tip 20% - 25% in most cases. However, if I have crappy service...I definately tip accordingly. As usual we are trying to "be politically correct" and rewarding bad waiters and waitresses so we don't "OFFEND" anyone. I think this policy stinks and I will definately be eating in my room more than I used to. Glad I'm a DVC owner and I have that option still!

I am not sure exactly how this falls under political correctness. That phrase seems to have become the catch-all term for things people don't like. I think it is much more likely that what has happened in the past is that folks on the DDE or other plans have been tipping a percentage based on the discounted amount, not on the full amount of the check, thus shortchanging their servers. I seem to remember a CM some months ago on this board mentioning this policy change as being part of their new work contract and the workers wanted it as part of the agreement for the reason I stated.

Also, I think of this as Disney instituting a tipping floor, but not a ceiling. I imagine we will be able to tip above that 18% and servers will be working to get that bit extra. I hope this is enough to ward of worker apathy. I also hope this only applies to table service locations as I can't see tipping counter service folks 18% for just handing me my food.

So, if this is "across the board" then how will it effect DDP? If gratuity is removed from DDP, and DDP is paid in advance, do you get a "bill" for your tip? This really infuriates me. I will make my decision about tip based on what I want, not what Disney tells me. I will be rethinking dining onsite if this is an across the board type thing. OR, we will always use the dining plan if the tip is still left up to the diner to determine.

I actually think this does apply to everyone. When making my ADRs over the past couple of weeks, I have been told at certain restaurants that a gratuity of 18% will be added to the check. I initially thought it was due to our party size (7 of us) but it sounds like this is across the board now.

It doesn't really bother me as we plan to get the DDE card and would have added the discount back on as the tip. If we don't have to do that and the tip is already included, that is fine to me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter