Baseball, the Dodgers

Don't just talk about it, do it. ;) I've been to 25 (including a few that have closed) and I'll be going to Petco park next month. Comparing Dodger Stadium to Wrigley is a bit of a apples to oranges comparison. Although Dodger stadium is decades old it is in incredible shape. Tickets are cheap and readily available. The stadium has ample parking and great sight lines. From what I've observed the typical baseball fan in SoCal understands and appreciates the game but going to Chavez Ravine is more of a night out than anything else. Fans tend to come late and leave early. Traffic after the game is probably the worst of any stadium I've ever been to. Wrigley field is another experience all together. Parking is non-existant and when you can find a space it is $30. The concourses are narrow and dank and there are plenty of obstructed view seats. Walk up tickets can be scarce so you really need to order tickets in advance and get socked with the service charge. That being said Wrigley is awesome. History oozes from every crack. The fans are some of the best in baseball. They are on the edge of their seats for every pitch. They have the great 7th inning stretch ritual too. To me sitting in Wrigley Field on a sunny weekday afternoon is baseball nirvana. It is the true turn of the century Ballpark. I'm sure this will draw some criticism from my fellow Massachusetts residents but Wrigley filed really puts into perspective what a dump Fenway Park is.

To recap: If you're in LA and looking for something cool to do head to Dodger stadium for a layed back ball game. If you are a hardcore baseball fan then Wrigley field is your Mecca and I expect each of you to make a pilgrimage there some day.

jfis1020 said:
A couple of weeks ago in Cincy at our hotel we saw some guys walk in (about mid 20's age) with matching T-shirts that said:

Front:
7 guys
7 days
7 ball parks

Back:
listed all seven parks and the dates of the games they were attending!

DH wouldn't let me join them! ;) I guess three kids to watch would have been too much for him while I was away!! :rotfl2:
Now that's cool! As much as I'd love to do that, my DW wouldn't like the sound of leaving her alone with the 2 kids while enjoy a road trip to visit ballparks!

Michael623 said:
Don't just talk about it, do it. ;) I've been to 25 (including a few that have closed) and I'll be going to Petco park next month. Comparing Dodger Stadium to Wrigley is a bit of a apples to oranges comparison. Although Dodger stadium is decades old it is in incredible shape. Tickets are cheap and readily available. The stadium has ample parking and great sight lines. From what I've observed the typical baseball fan in SoCal understands and appreciates the game but going to Chavez Ravine is more of a night out than anything else. Fans tend to come late and leave early. Traffic after the game is probably the worst of any stadium I've ever been to. Wrigley field is another experience all together. Parking is non-existant and when you can find a space it is $30. The concourses are narrow and dank and there are plenty of obstructed view seats. Walk up tickets can be scarce so you really need to order tickets in advance and get socked with the service charge. That being said Wrigley is awesome. History oozes from every crack. The fans are some of the best in baseball. They are on the edge of their seats for every pitch. They have the great 7th inning stretch ritual too. To me sitting in Wrigley Field on a sunny weekday afternoon is baseball nirvana. It is the true turn of the century Ballpark. I'm sure this will draw some criticism from my fellow Massachusetts residents but Wrigley filed really puts into perspective what a dump Fenway Park is.

To recap: If you're in LA and looking for something cool to do head to Dodger stadium for a layed back ball game. If you are a hardcore baseball fan then Wrigley field is your Mecca and I expect each of you to make a pilgrimage there some day.
Yeah, Dodger Stadium is in very good shape. Get there early and be prepared for a lot of traffic. Of course, this goes for just about anywhere in LA. Ideally, it would be best to catch a weekend game to avoid crowds on the freeway. Tickets can be had at just about any time, even right before the game from scalpers, if needed. I suggest field level seats because it's affordable, gets you right into the game, and lesser chance of getting the rowdy bunch around you.

We have done the Doger games several times on our trips. We have used Super Shuttle to get there and back. The last time we went was the day of the earthquake in I think '94. We have done both night and day games. They pick up at the 76 station in the parking lot.

Doug

I'm sure this will draw some criticism from my fellow Massachusetts residents but Wrigley filed really puts into perspective what a dump Fenway Park is.

We New Yorkers who have been to Fenway and I have to agree with you, we were just so underwhelmed with it. I guess I expected more.

However as we always put it, Shea Stadium may be a dump, but it's our own home grown dump. :smooth: We should have a new stadium here in 2009 from what I hear.

carolsherman said:
I am going to Anaheim with my 2 kids in August my youngest would love to see a baseball game. Instead of commuting how is the drive from Disney safe for a woman to do or would commuting be better. I plan to hit a day game at 1:00 p.m. I believe.

Dodger Stadium is a haul from Anaheim - about 35 miles of freeway driving. I'd recommend an Angels game at Anaheim Stadium just a couple miles east of DL. Here's a link to the Angels schedule. (Don't let the URL fool you - the "Los Angeles Angels" really do play in Anaheim.)

jlmarr said:
Dodger Stadium is a haul from Anaheim - about 35 miles of freeway driving. I'd recommend an Angels game at Anaheim Stadium just a couple miles east of DL. Here's a link to the Angels schedule. (Don't let the URL fool you - the "Los Angeles Angels" really do play in Anaheim.)

Unfortunately, the Angels are gone the WHOLE WEEK we are in Anaheim!! We are seeing the Reds in LA, then the Reds again in SD!! Yes, we are definitely Reds fans even though we are 21.5 out!! :rotfl2: :rotfl:

BTW....we plan on buying one of the T-shirts, "Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles"!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Anyone that doesn't enjoy their home ballpark needs only to visit our Metrodome to gain a gain a renewed appreciation for what they have!

I've thought that the Wrigley crowds are pretty laid back. It seems to me that a lot of people there just want to be part of the event, or get some sun out in the bleachers. Comparing Cubs and White Sox crowds; you could wear a Sox cap to Wrigley and not have anyone look twice at you, but from what I've witnessed, you're taking your life in your hands if you decide to wear a Cubs cap to Comiskey (or whatever they're calling it these days!). I've seen more "real" fans at Sox games. They're getting rewarded this season!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter