Baseball, the Dodgers

LynnTarrant

<font color=darkorchid>Had <s>to cheat</s> moments
I just wondered if any of you LA folk could help me out. We have decided we would quite like to see a baseball game while in the States and can fit a game in at the Dodger Stadium on Monday 25th July when they play the Reds. Can we get there on public transport? Obviously many of the good tickets have been bought we don't want to spend a fortune, Is it better to sit up high behind the bases or at field level further out? We know nothing about baseball is there anything anyone can tell us that will help us to understand/enjoy what we are seeing a bit more?
Thank you

I just got back from a Dodger game at Dodger Stadium.

I have to admit, we drove so I know nothing about Public Transporation and so you'll need a California person to help you out with that one.

My family is big on baseball, we enjoy siting upstaires (way, way, upstaires however beware in Dodger Stadium when you sit upstaires you are really high up and instead of walking up to your seat youwalk DOWN. If you have any problems with height, I suggest you get something more downstaires. We also enjoy behind home plate so you can see the whole field, but again that is our preference.

I have some pictures of the stadium that while I'm not 100% sure how to post here, I'll be glad to send you a link to for you to look at at shutterfly.

The tickets were really cheap, $6.00 per person, again this was upstaires. I'd check the dodger web site https://www.ticketmaster.com/checko...oCu3kLPop1owwWS6nBS--6PbUBi3fxtFONkLeGYumhj0A It looks to me as if tickets are still available for the 25th of July.

Good luck

I don't know of any public transport options that would get you back to Anaheim from a Monday night game at Dodger Stadium. I see they have a Thursday day game so if that fits you could take advantage of the commuter trains from Anaheim or Fullerton, but you'd still have to take a short taxi ride between LA's Union Station and Dodger Stadium (just a couple of miles but it's a serious uphill climb and there's no sidewalk for pedestrians that I can think of).

As for seating, I'd also recommend the Top Deck.

jlmarr fyi, we also saw a game at the Angels stadium in Anaheim. I have to say we thought that stadium was lovely and actually liked it better the Dodger Stadium.

The big draw for the Dodgers were so my DH could tell people he's seen the Dodger's play at both Ebbets Field an Dodger Stadium.

Thank you, we would be staying in West Hollywood for the first part of our trip and that's when we would be going to the game.

I don't know about public transportation, but I'll agree with previous poster who have recommended sitting in the infield, even if you end up way up in the rafters!

I think it will be a lot easier for you to follow the action from there, and that's especially important for someone who isn't very familiar with the game.

Have fun!

The upper deck also gives you great photo ops. You can see for miles from up there with a fantastic view of the Hollywood sign. I have been to 25 major league ball parks and Dodger stadium was the cleanest I have ever seen. I went to Safeco Field 2 weeks after it opened and I swear Chavez Ravine was cleaner. Go and have a ball. Sorry, I also know nothing about the public transportation.

LynnTarrant said:
Thank you, we would be staying in West Hollywood for the first part of our trip and that's when we would be going to the game.

That's only an 8 or 9 mile taxi ride, so that might work for you. Be sure to have the taxi driver stop at Tommy's (Beverly and Rampart) after the game. Great chili-burgers!

No need to buy tickets in advance, Monday July 25th it will not be near a shut out.
OOPS just double checked, it will be Universal studios night. All kids under 14 and under get a free one day ticket to USH. So there will be a bigger crowd than a typical Monday night game VS a team like the Reds.

As for getting to the Stadium, Yes it is very easy but do you feel comfortable riding on an MTA bus Through ECHO PARK?
Anyways if you are anywhere near Sunset Blvd just hop on a MTA bus heading east towards DOWNTOWN(should say downtown). Get off on Elysian Park AVE. Walk up Elysian prk Ave(only way you can go) about one city block is the stadium parking lot entrance. You would also have to walk through the huge parking lot. I just checked the MTA website and they do run late enough for you to get home after the game.

I am going to Anaheim with my 2 kids in August my youngest would love to see a baseball game. Instead of commuting how is the drive from Disney safe for a woman to do or would commuting be better. I plan to hit a day game at 1:00 p.m. I believe.

Catching a game at Dodgers' Stadium is a lot of fun. I have heard that Metrolink will be offering a train out there but I couldn't find anything on their website about it. For the game itself, here's a couple of suggestions:
1)It can get pretty hot at Chavez Ravine(Dodgers Stadium). I would suggest getting seats behind the 3rd base side. As the sun sets, it will see some shade first before the 1st base side. Otherwise, getting seats underneath the overhang will offer plenty of shade, regardless of which side you choose. For me, we like being near the action so I'll always get 3rd base field level seats.

2)If you go to an evening game, make sure you bring a sweatshirt or jacket...even in the summer months. I've been to games that start off warm but get pretty chilly in the evening. If you don't want to lug around extra clothes, you can always show your support of our slumping Dodgers and pick up a sweatshirt there! :rolleyes1

3)I don't know if this goes for all baseball parks but at Dodgers' Stadium, they have a size limit of the bag(s) you bring in. I imagine this is for security purposes. I had brought a backpack with me that turned out to be too big so I had turn around and put it back in the car. They will give you plastic grocery bags at the check-in to put your stuff in, just in case the bag you bring is too big.

4)Lastly, food can be expensive at the park. If you want to get into the feel of a baseball game, stop by a local Vons or Ralphs supermarket and pick up a bag of peanuts. They're 1/2 the cost as opposed to buying them in the parks and plus they have the Dodgers logo on them.

I'll look into public transportation for you. More to follow...

Thanks to everyone for providing great information!

We have Dodgers tickets for Saturday, July 30 (my 41st birthday! :sunny: ) and I'm really looking forward to it.

We're in the first row of section 43. Can any of you who are familiar with the stadium tell me if that section has any protection from the sun? It's on the 3rd base side, but I'm afraid it might not have anything over it.

manchurianbrownbear said:
We're in the first row of section 43. Can any of you who are familiar with the stadium tell me if that section has any protection from the sun? It's on the 3rd base side, but I'm afraid it might not have anything over it.
Do you know which Section 43? Meaning, is it Lower Reserve or Preferred Field Box? These will have the overhang but it depends on the row that you're at. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. You could always get a Cool A Coo ice cream to cool off with! Yummy!

Our seats are in the "reserve" section. They are $10 tickets.

I might have to try the ice cream even if we're in the shade!

For those of you attending the Dodgers game and want to "get a feel" for your seats, go to www.seatdata.com . You can find seats in most any stadium! You can click on the section and it will show you a picture from the seats in that section to the field. (i.e. -> for baseball it shows you from the seats to home plate). We use this A LOT!

A friend of our is a TV baseball broadcaster. He has been to practically every professional baseball stadium and says that Dodger Stadium is his favorite. Also, everyone I have talked to about the stadium says "Make sure you eat a Dodger Dog". So, guess we'll have to try one! :rolleyes:

jfis1020 said:
For those of you attending the Dodgers game and want to "get a feel" for your seats, go to www.seatdata.com . You can find seats in most any stadium! You can click on the section and it will show you a picture from the seats in that section to the field. (i.e. -> for baseball it shows you from the seats to home plate). We use this A LOT!

A friend of our is a TV baseball broadcaster. He has been to practically every professional baseball stadium and says that Dodger Stadium is his favorite. Also, everyone I have talked to about the stadium says "Make sure you eat a Dodger Dog". So, guess we'll have to try one! :rolleyes:
Wow! Better than Wrigley or Camden? That says a lot! I always liked Dodger Stadium but I didn't think it would be anyone's favorite.

Yeah, Dodger dogs is something we always have to have at a game. You can make them at home but they always taste better at a Dodgers game.

Lap3 - I have been to Wrigley and I will have to let you know on that comparison! I can't imagine any ballpark better than Wrigley, but that's just what our friend says. :flower:

I love Dodger Stadium!
Definitely try the Dodger Dog, with relish. I don't normally care much for hot dogs and I like relish even less, but for some reason a Dodger Dog with relish is absolutely heavenly!

jfis1020 said:
Lap3 - I have been to Wrigley and I will have to let you know on that comparison! I can't imagine any ballpark better than Wrigley, but that's just what our friend says. :flower:
Yeah, I caught a Cubs game a couple of years ago at Wrigley. Although the fans are much more rowdier there, the ballpark does have a nostalgic feel to it. I always dig that old MasterCard credit card commercial about those guys that are taking a road trip to visit all of the baseball parks. Now that would be cool to do!

lap3 said:
Yeah, I caught a Cubs game a couple of years ago at Wrigley. Although the fans are much more rowdier there, the ballpark does have a nostalgic feel to it. I always dig that old MasterCard credit card commercial about those guys that are taking a road trip to visit all of the baseball parks. Now that would be cool to do!

That is why we are visiting Dodger and PetCo in a couple of weeks. We love to try new parks. We have also done some NFL venues.

We have Reds season tickets, so we will be following them out to LA and SD.

A couple of weeks ago in Cincy at our hotel we saw some guys walk in (about mid 20's age) with matching T-shirts that said:

Front:
7 guys
7 days
7 ball parks

Back:
listed all seven parks and the dates of the games they were attending!

DH wouldn't let me join them! ;) I guess three kids to watch would have been too much for him while I was away!! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter