• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bama ED's Live Trip Report March 18-24, 2012

Artist: Randy Newman (Toy Story guy - "You've Got a Friend in Me")
Album: Good Ol' Boys
Year: 1972 (i think)
Song: Birmingham

Birmin'ham
Birmin'ham
Greatest city in Alabam'
You can travel 'cross this entire lan'
There ain't no place like Birmin'ham

I've made it home.

You all have humbled me with your kind comments.

I will have to edit the title of this thread now and put it in the past tense. My camper, once the beautiful carriage that took me to the ball (ala Cinderella), has turned back into a pumpkin in my driveway. Now I'm a homebody hoping SOMEONE will tell ME about their recent trip to the Fort.

I've had a chance to review the entire thread and to note the outstanding comments or issues that need answered or addressed and to post the odd comment:

ArielRae, thank you for being my proofreader and pointing out how I triple posted at one point. I could whine that posting on my phone via 3g with the spinning (processing) wheel means I never knew if an update was loaded or not. But you put me in my place. Thank you. It keeps me on my toes.

River Country Area I spoke to many CM's about the plans for the land between the Fort and Wilderness Lodge. Most seemed to think it would be a DVC in the future but no one knew for sure. The folks at the horse barn (where Charlie was getting his bath) asked me how I knew so much when their boss and told them it was all hush-hush. I told them how Disney/Reedy Creek has to file water management permits with the State of Florida which are public record and showed the Horse Barn moving up to the front of the Fort, etc. I said it's public record if you know where to look. So who know. And who knows when. But this I promise. It won't be DVC campsites on the water. Waterfront real estate is too valuable to develop on one level. You have to think vertically.

Typos I have to apologize for all the typos in my TR. I was working off my Android phone (a fantastic 5" device). I know I could have brought my laptop but then my entire family would have tried to get their nose in it. And I could have brought a TV but the kids would have plopped down in front of it. So I left the laptop and tv at home. And guess what? They rode bikes. They swam in the pool at night. They fished. They made Mickey heads out of pine cones. We were on vacation. It was nice. :goodvibes

Special Project I worked on a little project which I will share the results of this week. Nothing big but it has been a frequent, recurring topic on the board lately. I know opinions are nice but I am an analytical type. I want facts, numbers, specs, and the like. So I will wrap it together and put it out there soon. It won't help everyone, mind you. But it will demonstrate some certainty about what I and others have been saying.

sbcnewhampshire1, if you are trying to come in soon and don't have a ressie, you might find the weekends filled up (popular with locals). Getting a weekday slot might be easier (or book up to 30 days and then drop the unwanted days). I hope you get in. You'll enjoy your visit.

Candikayne, good luck with DH on the SUV. I agree with the Goof Man. Most SUV's can handle a pop-up easily. But it really depends on the popup. Try to narrow that down because it will determine the type of Tow Vehicle (TV) you need. For example, the folks next to us from Michigan were in a small (8' under the roof) 1800# popup which they towed easily with a Subaru wagon. I have a heavy 12'-under-the-roof popup highwall with a slideout dinette that ways nearly 3500# max that I tow with my Suburban. It's overkill but I like it. Some minivans have a 3000-3500# towing capacity (with a tow package which means transmission cooler mostly). There are folks on here that can answer specific questions you might have that are smarter than me. Also make sure when you mean SUV you mean those on a truck frame (like Chevy Tahoe) which can pull heavier trailers than those smaller SUV's built on a car frame (like a Ford Escape) which can only tow lighter trailers. It's all in the numbers. And leave yourself a safety margin (towing capacity minus maximum loaded weight of trailer).

And October is nice weather-wise but weekends are crowded with locals and everyone else especially close to Halloween. As I told sbcnewhampshire1, you may have to book long and drop days later. If you want this year you better call now. If you need advice from us just ask. There are lots of folks who know the ropes.

Camping - The Resorts Don't Get It I met so many nice folks in my loop this week. That's what we mean when we say we like the camping lifestyle. I met the folks across from us, the folks next to us, the folk two sites up who were also from the 'ham, and I met Andrew's dad Larry as I said. If you've stayed at Pop Century, have you met and talked with the folks in the room on either side of you? Above or below you? Know where they're from, how long they're staying, or something about them?

As I said, we campers are social folks. Fellow DISsers stopped by. Neighbors commented positively on my green Mickey ears sign. And some folks checking in today wanted to come by but they must have ran late. So if you are planning a visit to the Fort I suggest you leave some time in your schedule to relax and enjoy the resort. We were there 5 full days and spent only two days in the theme parks. That's about my speed. I know it varies based on how often you can come, etc.

Trip Reports I'd like to say one last thing about Trip Reports (TR). This was only my second live TR. Some folks do pre-TR's, live-TR's, and post-TR's. Some are short. Some are long. Some have pictures. Some don't. I've been on the board for years and have heard people say, "I don't write well. I don't have anything new to say. I don't have the time".

Now that I'm a homebody, I'm hoping somebody will do any kind of TR of any kind to remind me of how nice the Fort is. You can tell ol' "triple post ED" (thanks again ArielRae) can't write well. I had pictures of turtles which I don't think are new. But if you read the comments I got, you know as I know that people enjoy any reminder of the Fort and the relaxing feeling it give them.

So I'm asking for anyone going to do a TR. Of whatever type suits you. Help those of us at home. Throw us a crumb, will you? :woohoo:

This is Bama Ed signing off of the trip report.

ED

Artist: Randy Newman (Toy Story guy - "You've Got a Friend in Me")
Album: Good Ol' Boys
Year: 1972 (i think)
Song: Birmingham

Birmin'ham
Birmin'ham
Greatest city in Alabam'
You can travel 'cross this entire lan'
There ain't no place like Birmin'ham

I've made it home.

You all have humbled me with your kind comments.

I will have to edit the title of this thread now and put it in the past tense. My camper, once the beautiful carriage that took me to the ball (ala Cinderella), has turned back into a pumpkin in my driveway. Now I'm a homebody hoping SOMEONE will tell ME about their recent trip to the Fort.

I've had a chance to review the entire thread and to note the outstanding comments or issues that need answered or addressed and to post the odd comment:

ArielRae, thank you for being my proofreader and pointing out how I triple posted at one point. I could whine that posting on my phone via 3g with the spinning (processing) wheel means I never knew if an update was loaded or not. But you put me in my place. Thank you. It keeps me on my toes.

River Country AreaI spoke to many CM's about the plans for the land between the Fort and Wilderness Lodge. Most seemed to think it would be a DVC in the future but no one knew for sure. The folks at the horse barn (where Charlie was getting his bath) asked me how I knew so much when their boss and told them it was all hush-hush. I told them how Disney/Reedy Creek has to file water management permits with the State of Florida which are public record and showed the Horse Barn moving up to the front of the Fort, etc. I said it's public record if you know where to look. So who know. And who knows when. But this I promise. It won't be DVC campsites on the water. Waterfront real estate is too valuable to develop on one level. You have to think vertically.

Typos I have to apologize for all the typos in my TR. I was working off my Android phone (a fantastic 5" device). I know I could have brought my laptop but then my entire family would have tried to get their nose in it. And I could have brought a TV but the kids would have plopped down in front of it. So I left the laptop and tv at home. And guess what? They rode bikes. They swam in the pool at night. They fished. They made Mickey heads out of pine cones. We were on vacation. It was nice. :goodvibes

Special Project I worked on a little project which I will share the results of this week. Nothing big but it has been a frequent, recurring topic on the board lately. I know opinions are nice but I am an analytical type. I want facts, numbers, specs, and the like. So I will wrap it together and put it out there soon. It won't help everyone, mind you. But it will demonstrate some certainty about what I and others have been saying.

sbcnewhampshire1, if you are trying to come in soon and don't have a ressie, you might find the weekends filled up (popular with locals). Getting a weekday slot might be easier (or book up to 30 days and then drop the unwanted days). I hope you get in. You'll enjoy your visit.

Candikayne, good luck with DH on the SUV. I agree with the Goof Man. Most SUV's can handle a pop-up easily. But it really depends on the popup. Try to narrow that down because it will determine the type of Tow Vehicle (TV) you need. For example, the folks next to us from Michigan were in a small (8' under the roof) 1800# popup which they towed easily with a Subaru wagon. I have a heavy 12'-under-the-roof popup highwall with a slideout dinette that ways nearly 3500# max that I tow with my Suburban. It's overkill but I like it. Some minivans have a 3000-3500# towing capacity (with a tow package which means transmission cooler mostly). There are folks on here that can answer specific questions you might have that are smarter than me. Also make sure when you mean SUV you mean those on a truck frame (like Chevy Tahoe) which can pull heavier trailers than those smaller SUV's built on a car frame (like a Ford Escape) which can only tow lighter trailers. It's all in the numbers. And leave yourself a safety margin (towing capacity minus weight of trailer).

And October is nice weather-wise but weekends are crowded with locals and everyone else especially close to Halloween. As I told sbcnewhampshire1, you may have to book long and drop days later. If you want this year you better call now. If you need advice from us just ask. There are lots of folks who know the ropes.

Camping - The Resorts Don't Get ItI met so many nice folks in my loop this week. That's what we mean when we say we like the camping lifestyle. I met the folks across from us, the folks next to us, the folk two sites up who were also from the 'ham, and I met Andrew's dad Larry as I said. If you've stayed at Pop Century, have you met and talked with the folks in the room on either side of you? Above or below you? Know where they're from, how long they're staying, or something about them?

As I said, we campers are social folks. Fellow DISsers stopped by. Neighbors commented positively on my green Mickey ears sign. And some folks checking in today wanted to come by but they must have ran late. So if you are planning a visit to the Fort I suggest you leave some time in your schedule to relax and enjoy the resort. We were there 5 full days and spent only two days in the theme parks. That's about my speed. I know it varies based on how often you can come, etc.

Trip ReportsI'd like to say one last thing about Trip Reports (TR). This was only my second live TR. Some folks do pre-TR's, live-TR's, and post-TR's. Some are short. Some are long. Some have pictures. Some don't. I've been on the board for years and have heard people say, "I don't write well. I don't have anything new to say. I don't have the time".

Now that I'm a homebody, I'm hoping somebody will do any kind of TR of any kind to remind me of how nice the Fort is. You can tell ol' "triple post ED" (thanks again ArielRae) can't write well. I had pictures of turtles which I don't think are new. But if you read the comments I got, you know as I know that people enjoy any reminder of the Fort and the relaxing feeling it give them.

So I'm asking for anyone going to do a TR. Of whatever type suits you. Help those of us at home. Throw us a crumb, will you? :woohoo:

This is Bama Ed signing off.

ED

awwww- so much of what you said here almost brings tears to my eyes! So much truth in what you say- particularily about leaving the laptop and tv home and realizing how much your family actually DID together! And about those of us who have been there are desperate for ANY news of the Fort- I was there just once so far, and fell so much in love with it, I don't care what I read about it, just so I can hear SOMETHING. I wish there was a book about it, and all the experiences people have had.

Thanks Bama Ed! I hope when we make our trip next November we'll get a chance to meet you! :goodvibes

Enjoyed your trip report!

Looking forward to reading what your Special Project will be! Heck, I just like reading stats and figures! And if camping & tents are thrown here, wow, that's like heaven! (I'm a outdoor nerd!)

Promising I will do a trip report when my October trip is done!
I've already planned on wearing my Garmin Forerunner (gps watch for runners!) and photographing things other than scenery!

Enjoyed your trip report!

Looking forward to reading what your Special Project will be! Heck, I just like reading stats and figures! And if camping & tents are thrown here, wow, that's like heaven! (I'm a outdoor nerd!)

Promising I will do a trip report when my October trip is done!
I've already planned on wearing my Garmin Forerunner (gps watch for runners!) and photographing things other than scenery!

Foggy,

Stats?

Figures?

Camping?

Tents?

Then I think you're gonna like it. :thumbsup2

Bama ED

PS - Plus I will throw in a picture or two....

PPS - I love your avatar picture of the red poppy. It reminds me of when I was in London on November 11 over 20 years ago which is our Veteran's Day. The Brits call it Remembrance Day and their symbol is the red poppy. (Some provinces of Canada are former British Colonies although there is a strong French influence in Quebec naturally.) There were poppies all over St. Pauls and Westminster Cathedral and in people's lapels. So true.....

I have truly enjoyed your TR's! We will be there in a little over a week, so. I will TRY to do a live report. Never done one before but I will give it a shot. My whole family read yours and it made us anticipate the trip even more. Thanks again....maybe one day we will be there at the same time!

I have truly enjoyed your TR's! We will be there in a little over a week, so. I will TRY to do a live report. Never done one before but I will give it a shot. My whole family read yours and it made us anticipate the trip even more. Thanks again....maybe one day we will be there at the same time!

Blessedwithfour,

As I said in my TR thread, live TR's are a lot of work. I would take pictures during the day and upload them to photobucket off my phone during slack times (lunch, etc.). Writing the text was a chore at night when I wanted to sleep but I enjoy the feedback from the DISsers while at the Fort. But don't take time away from your family, etc. for us. Have fun, enjoy your time there, and if you can post while there, fine. If not, tell us about it after you get home.

You KNOW I'll post into any TR of yours. :woohoo: popcorn::

Bama ED

Thanks Bama Ed! I hope when we make our trip next November we'll get a chance to meet you! :goodvibes

Ummmm,

Sorry serentitygr, you are on your own in November. But that's a great time to visit the Fort. We did Thanksgiving week in 2009.

But as I advise folks, the best cure for the post-Fort blues is to have another trip scheduled.

Some time.

Out there.

Some where.

It only costs one night's deposit, right?

Even if 2013 rates aren't set yet?

Who else will be there in 2013?

Bama ED

PS - somebody alert the bus driver......

Ed -- really enjoyed your trip report. That, and the abnormally warm weather we are experiencing, have been giving me the itch to get our trailer out. Unfortunately, my pregnant wife hasn't gotten the fever yet this Spring.

Ed -- really enjoyed your trip report. That, and the abnormally warm weather we are experiencing, have been giving me the itch to get our trailer out. Unfortunately, my pregnant wife hasn't gotten the fever yet this Spring.

Bill,

Good luck to you and DW. You will have a youngster to take to the Fort in the future for years to come.

Better buy yourself a good bicycle. My two kids (DD and DS) nearly rode mine and DW's legs off at the Fort. DS especially like riding at night in the dark cruising off the sidewalk to go around walkers. (At night you need to call out to folks that you are passing them as a courtesy).

But I liked the nightime rides too, I must admit. ;)

Bama ED

Thanks marclichon.

Its been about 20 years since I spent any time in your city but I still remember what I ate. Today is it still possible to get a hometown menu of a Skyline Chili served 3 way, some Little Kings Cream Ale, and some Graeter's Ice Cream?

Its all So good.:dance3:

Bama ed

Yessir it is, and now i know what I'm having for lunch today! :banana:

I really enjoyed this report. I can't wait to get a pop up some day! We have camped at the fort 2xs. Once in a tent and once in the 5th wheel that is now for sale in the back yard:sad2: It is really a vacation within a vaction:)

Loved the trip report. Glad you had a great time. The kids love seeing the pics of where we will be staying for our trip. This will be a whole new experience for them. They are really excited.

Loved reading this trip report. We will be leaving for WDW in three weeks but sadly not staying at the Fort like I had originally hoped to. So thank you for sharing.

Bill,

Good luck to you and DW. You will have a youngster to take to the Fort in the future for years to come.

Better buy yourself a good bicycle. My two kids (DD and DS) nearly rode mine and DW's legs off at the Fort. DS especially like riding at night in the dark cruising off the sidewalk to go around walkers. (At night you need to call out to folks that you are passing them as a courtesy).

But I liked the nightime rides too, I must admit. ;)

Bama ED

This will be #5 for us. I don't need a bicycle, I need a really big golf cart.

Thanks very much for the trip report. I really enjoyed the great pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter