• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bama ED's Live Trip Report March 18-24, 2012

Good news. I think I am hitting vacation mode. I spent some time this morning on a little project which I hopefully will share soon. My friends the kamikaze squirels were around. They had found a snack pack of cheese and crackers. The yummy orange kind.

IMG_20120321_101216.jpg

DD and I also threw a fishing line into the canal behind our loop. We didnt catch anything but judging by the worms we lost off the hook the fish were too full to jump onto the hook.

IMG_20120321_105952.jpg

While we were fishing a turkey came out of the woods across the canal from us and walked down to our left.

IMG_20120321_105934.jpg

Then around lunchtime we had to get the camper area straightened up for family coming in to visit from off site.

We had a little rain sprinkle for 30 minutes which only made it more humid after the water evaporated. But we played some more putt putt at Fantasia Gardens over by DHS and played the Fairways course. After saying goodbye to the visiting family we had dinner and headed over to the pool for a night swim.

The pool has a different feel at night. Still good, just different. We were they while the lights came on. Water was warm. Lights on at 740 pm tonight and lifeguards left at 8.

There are two examples of large group campers i want to show tonight. Each has about 10 people sleeping and eating on their sites.

The first is two families on a site with a popup and a tent. Outside the camper they have a double decker toaster oven, microwave, cooktop stove, dorm fridge, and did I mention the floor model deep freezer too? Very nice people saying meal/food costs are so much they cook and eat most meals at their site. With 10 people that's a lot of chow. Its a terrific setup.

IMG_20120321_182949.jpg

Also in our loop is a tent feeding a lot of people who must be staying off site or something. They have a clever shed with multiple tables and gear for preparing meals. It has a white pvc frame with a tarp stretched over it. I have seen such for temporary rv and trailer shed. Again, planning makes it work for them.

IMG_20120321_113025.jpg

Another fun day at the Fort. It is 9 pm as I write this and I can hear the fireworks from Illuminations. I will sleep good tonight.:cloud9:

Bama ed

I walked up to the Outpost checkin building this morning to ask about the status of wifi in the campground.

First, wifi is being rolled out to the campground eventually. One of the issues at the Fort is managing the radio frequencies (rf) used by wifi versus the rf used by the internal and external Fort/wdw bus system. Every bus has an onboard computer linked by rf to a central system.

Second, internet connectivity is no longer charged (the $9.95 per day) for campsites and cabins. You can check out the cable modem still and they will hold a $125 deposit on a credit card. I guess this is a transition to the new plan.

Third, note the word eventually. There sounds like there is no set timetable.

Bama ed

As I said earlier in this thread, early morning is one of my favorite times at the Fort. Heading out of 1500 loop i turned right and headed down toward Pioneer Hall. Over to my right, the rising sun makes a beautiful silhouette against the trees.

IMG_20120322_074328.jpg

Down close to Pioneer Hall i revisited a part of the pavement where I found an "ED" on my last trip back in April. I mean, how weird is that? :confused3

IMG_20120322_074200.jpg

As i walk thru some loops i see a number of rental rv's primarily from Campimg World and Cruise America both national chains with locations in the Orlando and Kissimmee area. for folks who would like to try the Fort sites or not do a cabin these are yet another rental option to consider. Beyond dollars and cents, rv'ing is a lifestyle - and a pleasant one at that.

IMG_20120322_074612.jpg

IMG_20120322_074632.jpg

I think Denise showed this in some pictures from her recent trip but since i was here last the iron bowls used at the Chip and Dale campfire for the fires themselves have been prettified to put stone and mortar around the bowl base and cover it with a lid. the loose gravel around the bowl has been paved and the fence posts that encircled it has been removed. all in all it is a nice upgrade.

IMG_20120322_074256.jpg

Some folks ask about food prices at the Trading Posts. here is a shot of the beer price for your basic 6 pack of Miller Lite cans. [Beer is one of the food groups right?] if it is too fuzzy to read, your common 6 pack will set u back 15 dollars on property. and the good stuff costs more.

IMG_20120322_132821.jpg

this morning while it was still cool the family rented a kayak and a canoe at the bike barn for a nominal amoiunt and paddled the canals here in the Fort. here are pix with DS in the kayak, DD and DW with me in the canoe.

IMG_20120322_092452.jpg

we saw wading birds, no gators, and this turtle sunning on a log.

IMG_20120322_093920.jpg

Later in the morning DS and I went of in search of more of the old Fort railroad track. I wrote earlier of my visit with Dave Dietzel who is part of the living history of the FWRR. but there are many other tangible reminders. The track by 1500 loop has been well explored and photogged by me in past TR's. But i have never tried it from the 300 loop end.

Until today.

It is still well back in the brush but discovery is its own reward.

So here it is. The track in the brush, a closeup, and the proximity to the canal.

IMG_20120322_103217.jpg

IMG_20120322_103407.jpg

IMG_20120322_103318.jpg

Lunch was followed by a nap in the A/C. so sweet. Later a pool visit was up with the CM's doing the pool party DJ thing with loud music, a mike, and the whole nine yards.

IMG_20120322_155640.jpg

Here is a view from the top of the slide.

IMG_20120322_161506.jpg

IMG_20120322_161520.jpg

IMG_20120322_161534.jpg

Dinner, a relaxing evening, and some family time tonight. Our time here is on the wane. But it will be sad when we go home on Saturday morning.

Bama ED

Hey Ed, this is great! Going to be there mid-June, and your report is just helping to ramp up the excitement!!!

Was looking forward to another Bama and PSU game this year, but looks like not in the cards this year. Guess its OK, since you guys handed us our butts last year.

Keep the awesome posts coming!

Hey Ed, this is great! Going to be there mid-June, and your report is just helping to ramp up the excitement!!!

Was looking forward to another Bama and PSU game this year, but looks like not in the cards this year. Guess its OK, since you guys handed us our butts last year.

Keep the awesome posts coming!

Thanks Carrie and good luck with your new coach. Your conference is looking stronger with the newer coaches at Michigan and Ohio state and now Penn State too.

Ed

Excellent pictures, Bama; thank you! The crowds look more manageable than I would have expected for this season; hasn't spring break started?

I agree with you on early mornings at the Fort: It's been 13months since our one-and-only camping trip at the Fort (so far, more to come) but when we drive to Disney we Cannon-Ball-Run it and usually arrive around 6:30-8:00am, long before our resort room is ready, and stretch our legs to get breakfast at Fort Wilderness. There's nothing, nothing, nothing like sitting at The Meadows porch sipping a NesCafe (I just can't call it 'coffee') and eating a Rice Krispy Mickey after driving 1000mi. It's the perfect way to jump in to Vacation Mode with both feet :)

I hope you continue to have a great time and send more pics! Each day this week I've read your report and been able to get out of Cincinnati for a few minutes, thank you very much!

Ed - great trip report. Reading your report reminds me of how we need to spend more time at the Fort and enjoy it more. I loved the canoe pics - I really need to get the kids out on them during our next trip. They would have a ball, that is as long as we don't tip it over. Thanks for taking the time to post during your trip, looks like there are alot of viewers reading it, over 3200 views. Wow!!

Excellent pictures, Bama; thank you! The crowds look more manageable than I would have expected for this season; hasn't spring break started?

I agree with you on early mornings at the Fort: It's been 13months since our one-and-only camping trip at the Fort (so far, more to come) but when we drive to Disney we Cannon-Ball-Run it and usually arrive around 6:30-8:00am, long before our resort room is ready, and stretch our legs to get breakfast at Fort Wilderness. There's nothing, nothing, nothing like sitting at The Meadows porch sipping a NesCafe (I just can't call it 'coffee') and eating a Rice Krispy Mickey after driving 1000mi. It's the perfect way to jump in to Vacation Mode with both feet :)

I hope you continue to have a great time and send more pics! Each day this week I've read your report and been able to get out of Cincinnati for a few minutes, thank you very much!

Thanks marclichon.

Its been about 20 years since I spent any time in your city but I still remember what I ate. Today is it still possible to get a hometown menu of a Skyline Chili served 3 way, some Little Kings Cream Ale, and some Graeter's Ice Cream?

Its all So good.:dance3:

Bama ed

So happy for u that u r at the Fort!:cool1: Great post so far .:goodvibes Waiting for more. We won't be there till next Dec unless I can talk hubby to come on our way home next week from Sarasota..Maybe if they have any openings,,Will you be ther then. Keep the reports coming.

Hi folks. Today was a long but happy day at DHS. Crowd wise it was manageable like our day at MK. of course you vets know the key is to get there before opening, ride key rides first, use fast passes intelligently, and leave the busy afternoon times for high capacity rides and shows. Its late here already 1030 pm so i am going to focus on telling you about todays events and then answer some of your questions tomorrow.

Since we had a Fort parking pass we drove over to DHS and got there about 30 minutes before opening.

IMG_20120323_082255.jpg

I advise people sometimes to pack a picnic lunch [or dinner] into the parks to save meal money and we do this ourselves. You know u r in the parks early when u rent a locker to stash your food and you are assigned locker number 1.

IMG_20120323_085230.jpg

IMG_20120323_115650.jpg

My favorite ride in DHS is Tower of Terror. I love the extensive theming of ToT. From the building to the decor to the furnishings to the story, i think its all very well done.

IMG_20120323_093840.jpg

IMG_20120323_094007.jpg

To me the best part of the Great Movie Ride are the old movie clips they show in the queue area. Besides John Wayne in anything, they play a clip from Casablanca which IMO is the best movie ever made.

IMG_20120323_104142.jpg

If any of you are American Idol fans they have their own version of the show at DHS. I passed.

IMG_20120323_111621.jpg

IMG_20120323_111556.jpg

Street performers were out and about on Holleywood Blvd and on Sunset.

IMG_20120323_113917.jpg

We did eat one Table Service meal for lunch at 50s Prime Time Cafe. Mom [our waitress] told us to eat our vegetables and to keep our elbows off the table. It was good. we ordered 2 Leftovers [a little of everything], a Meatloaf, and a Chicken Pot Pie. Mom gave us stickers for licking our plates clean.

IMG_20120323_124737.jpg

IMG_20120323_122222.jpg

More in the next post.

Bama ED

I got to ride the most popular ride at DHS right now 2x on Fastpasses, Toy Story Mania. It was my first time and it is a pretty neat concept. although we visit the Fort about once a year we dont make it around to every park each time. i am too cheap and i like to have at least one down day at the Fort for every up day at a park. so this was my first time for TSM.

IMG_20120323_165210.jpg

I also endure the Muppets 3D show because it includes 2 more of my movie heroes besides Wayne and Bogart. Yep, you guessed it - Statler and Waldorf the two hecklers in the balcony. they always get the best lines in every show. Although I think Beaker is one cool dude too.

IMG_20120323_134210.jpg

IMG_20120323_130902.jpg

IMG_20120323_134049.jpg

At the Art of Animation Building they had some character meet and greets.

IMG_20120323_153927.jpg

IMG_20120323_153837.jpg

DD and DW went to the AoA Drawing Academy session where a Disney artist taught the class step by step how to draw Tigger. I think DD's version is pretty good. You get to keep your artwork.

IMG_20120323_171049.jpg

Also at AoA you can answer a series of questions to determine which character you are most like. I know you dont care but for the record I am most like Jiminy Crickett. His characteristics are loyalty, wisdom, and he is the voice of reason. I'd say that a fair summation.

Towards the evening we rode Rock and Rollercoaster one more time.

IMG_20120323_182316.jpg

Then we waited for the Fantasmic show. I got one decent picture of Sorcerer Mickey on top of the mountain working his magic.

IMG_20120323_205648.jpg

Its late. I am tired. Time for lights out.

Bama ED

Thanks to my best friend nagging me for over seven years straight, I finally caved in and went camping with her and her family about four years ago. Why didn't I listen to her sooner? I love it! My family and I have visited NY state parks and the Hershey Campground and love every minute of it.

We are tenters and have a great Coleman tent that sleeps 8 (which really means 5...LOL). We have a nice screen house, a propane stove, and charcoal grill. Every year we buy more equipment....but now I am thinking about a pop-up. We are die-hard Disney fans....and want to experience the Fort. Can you tell me if a SUV can tow a pop-up? Are they really light?

We are planning to visit the World next year October. What is the Fort like during October? Can't wait to try it out.

Have fun on your trip!

Can you tell me if a SUV can tow a pop-up?

Yes it can, easily. Check your owners manual for the weights it can tow, and be sure the weight of the trailer you buy (plus luggage and camping equipment) is under that weight.

IMG_20120324_081440.jpg

What a wonderful stay at the Fort but the time has come to leave. I will answer the questions still outstandinf tonight after I get home.

Ciao!:wave:

Bama ED

Roll Tide!

Yes it can, easily. Check your owners manual for the weights it can tow, and be sure the weight of the trailer you buy (plus luggage and camping equipment) is under that weight.

I will check that soon. That's the easy part....convincing DH to buy me one is the challenge! LOL

I am also still reading and enjoying your trip report. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Love college football and WDW!

Thanks for the great trip report, it's been fun enjoying your Disney trip with your family! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter