• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bama ED's Live Trip Report March 18-24, 2012

Loved reading this trip report. We will be leaving for WDW in three weeks but sadly not staying at the Fort like I had originally hoped to. So thank you for sharing.

ok featherface.

hope you can get to the Fort next trip around.

bama ed

Thanks for the trip report. I have been reading the boards for some time now and just haven't posted yet. The last time I was at the Fort was 28 years ago (I was 8). I have dug out some old pics, but have to get my post count up before I can post them.

I am so excited that my family and I will be camping at the Fort in August in our 30Ft TT. Needless to say, I CAN'T WAIT!!!:yay::yay: I have been back several times since then, but not staying at FW.

The Mickey Lamp is in the works, and I am getting my DIS sign ready for the camper. Did I say, that I can't wait?

Thanks again for showing cool pics of the fort and we are 127 days away from arriving.:dance3:

Off Topic but I have a question for ya bama Ed. Do you know of any nice and safe campgrounds to do a over night stop in the Dothan area? Going to see the mouse and will be driving alone wife and kid to fly in later. Gonna drive down thru Alabama insted of GA this trip.

Thanx Ed! I havent been on for awhile and it was so great to get on the boards and read all about your fantastic trip! I was going back and forth on whether or not to do a live trip report during our trip in October but after reading you posts I am for sure going to do it! Thanx again and you have gotten us so excited for our first trip to the fort!!!

Thanks for the trip report. I have been reading the boards for some time now and just haven't posted yet. The last time I was at the Fort was 28 years ago (I was 8). I have dug out some old pics, but have to get my post count up before I can post them.

I am so excited that my family and I will be camping at the Fort in August in our 30Ft TT. Needless to say, I CAN'T WAIT!!!:yay::yay: I have been back several times since then, but not staying at FW.

The Mickey Lamp is in the works, and I am getting my DIS sign ready for the camper. Did I say, that I can't wait?

Thanks again for showing cool pics of the fort and we are 127 days away from arriving.:dance3:

:welcome: BabyGirl2005

We'd love to see a picture of your sign and lamp at the Fort.

Thanks for sharing.

Please post as often as you want. We always can use other opinions.

Bama ED

Off Topic but I have a question for ya bama Ed. Do you know of any nice and safe campgrounds to do a over night stop in the Dothan area? Going to see the mouse and will be driving alone wife and kid to fly in later. Gonna drive down thru Alabama insted of GA this trip.

X,

Sorry I can't help you with campgrounds around Dothan.

Dothan is my overnight stop on the way to the Fort if I leave Birmingham after work. We overnight at the Hampton Inn there.

This year we left after lunch and stopped in Tallahassee at a Hampton Inn (great breakfast there). That left us 4hr 15min to the Fort.

When I am recreationally camping if I get to Dothan I am usually headed to the Gulf Coast.

I will say Dothan is one of my gas stops (I make two down and two back). Once you hit the ring bypass highway in Dothan, there is a Raceway just before where it pulls south. That's my stop (I tow a popup). There is a flying J just past it (where hwy 231 pulls south if you need more space). Also on the state line with florida (literally) is another Raceway that has cheap gas.

My second stop is at the Wildwood exit on I75 one mile before the turnpike pulls off to the left. Cheapest gas along the way that I have found in Florida. I hit both of these going back home.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Bama ED

Thanx Ed! I havent been on for awhile and it was so great to get on the boards and read all about your fantastic trip! I was going back and forth on whether or not to do a live trip report during our trip in October but after reading you posts I am for sure going to do it! Thanx again and you have gotten us so excited for our first trip to the fort!!!

number1,

I really enjoyed doing a live TR even though it took some work. I hope you saw the "Calling For Trip Reports" thread where I detailed somewhat how I did mine.

As I told KristinU, though, in that thread, live TRs take work. You are there to be on vacation, relax, and have fun first and foremost. Don't let a live TR get in the way of that. But if you can manage one in October then super. :thumbsup2

I mean, I can wait maybe a day after you get back (at the most) before I need a TR hit myself. popcorn::

Bama ED

Thanks for the great TR! We will be heading to the Fort about the 21st of April for 2 weeks....in a tent...God help us:) No, we are excited!!!! We've been practice camping for Disney for the past 3 months! Planning to do a trip report but probably won't attempt a live one...4 years olds don' t give you much down time! Thanks for all the site info on 1500 loop...helps our planning!
We are off to Galveston this weekend to sit and make a "plan" for our trip! We are surprising our DS a few weeks before we leave..he doesn't know yet! But he must suspect something because he found his id tag that we put on his shoe on the last trip and attached it to his shoes this afternoon! OH, Boy!

Glad you enjoyed your trip! We are eagerly awaiting ours!!:yay:

Lol...I wont make you wait Ed. I am always the first to rise (usually around 5-530) and grab a cup of coffee. I figure I can sit out front of the post and give a report of the things we have seen and done from the day before. I set up my PB for pics, so here's hoping! Thanks again!

Hello bama ed,
REALLY enjoyed your TR, just makes me want to load up and leave tonight....vacations don't last long enough. Good to hear about the internet access charges being dropped, we normally just did without or maybe splurged for one day during a trip. Thanks for sharing your great pics with us.:cool1:

Hello bama ed,
REALLY enjoyed your TR, just makes me want to load up and leave tonight....vacations don't last long enough. Good to hear about the internet access charges being dropped, we normally just did without or maybe splurged for one day during a trip. Thanks for sharing your great pics with us.:cool1:

Ya know what, railmail?

Part of my attitude towards being on vacation is de-connecting from technology.

I posted a live TR via my smartphone but I didn't check email, other websites, the weather, or text at all.

I said earlier in my TR I didn't bring my tv either because it was time to decompress and enjoy the Florida weather.

That's what being on vacation is all about. :upsidedow

Bama ED

Ed,
I really appreciate you taking the time filling out the report. Flying in from pretty far away I miss the camaraderie you get staying at FW. POR will be a nice time im sure but nothing beats walking back from the campfire in the evening to the portable home. Whenever we get back to the lower 48 I'll be sure to write up a TR for our first return trip to the fort! Keep the Tr's coming :thumbsup2

Ya know what, railmail?

Part of my attitude towards being on vacation is de-connecting from technology.

I posted a live TR via my smartphone but I didn't check email, other websites, the weather, or text at all.

I said earlier in my TR I didn't bring my tv either because it was time to decompress and enjoy the Florida weather.

That's what being on vacation is all about. :upsidedow

Bama ED

Ed, you hit the nail on the head!!

Disconnected = Decompressed = Relaxation = Vacation :hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter