Bama Ed's 2015 WDW Marathon Weekend Trip Report. ADDED-FT DESOTO UPDATE

Thanks Vince. Let me know here on the boards the next time you're headed to the Fort. A year's notice would be nice so that I could think of a reason to be there at the same time and just "bump" into you. :woohoo:

Bama Ed

Congrats on your run. Looks like you are having a great time at the Fort. I know its not a years notice, we are making plans and ressie for end of Sept. beginning of Oct. for a full site for 1 1/2 weeks. Hopefully will be warmer at night then last time we where there. Once again, congrats!

Ok. After lunch we headed via boat to do some monorail hopping. But before we do, another TR requirement is a porch shot:

Bama Ed

That pic looks a little high, where you sitting in one of those high boy chairs when you took it? :confused3

Mission accomplished, but, one never knows how one really did until the day after......just being able to walk up stairs without the use of railing or someone else's help instead of being able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, is the definition of success.

WAY TO GO!

McFlurry John

All, thanks for the well wishes. They're very much appreciated.

Last night was a quiet one here and early to bed. One interesting small camper rolled into the loop last night. It's small enough for two people to lay down in (note the red accent lights shining on the ground though). It had a bike rack on it and two bikes in the site. Although it's light and towable by lots of everyday vehicles, keeping the tongue weight close enough might be a task.

I have a new Trails End To Go menu that I will scan and make available when I get home. For the second night in a row we ate our grilled chicken breasts (leftover ones we reheated in the microwave) with a take-out side item from TE2GO. The first night was french fries which they serve in a bag. But the mac-n-cheese (or mash or beans) are offered in the two containers shown below (to give you an idea of what you get). The one on the left is the small with the mac-n-cheese in it and it's about $3. It would serve maybe one adult or two small kids. The one on the right with the spuds is the large and it's a little over $4. You can also buy cornbread or biscuits too.

Here is the TE2GO sign at the cash register.

As far as the race this morning, I could tell lots of stories but it went well. Up at 3am, bus to Epcot, start the walk to the corrals down on Epcot Drive at 420am. While standing in my corral just waiting and ignoring the DJ showing the latest dance moves on the video screens and blaring through the speakers, I glanced to my right and saw a huge fireworks rocket, a single one, rising up above the treeline. "Strange time for fireworks", I said to myself. Then I realized it was the SpaceX launch from the Cape to the International Space Station (I'm a SpaceX junkie). The flame/rocket was visible for about 45 seconds. According to SpaceX, it took off at 447am which was when I saw it. http://www.spacex.com/webcast/
I took that as a good sign.

The race started at 530am with the wheelchair athletes first and then all the corrals at 4-5 minute intervals each with their own DJ countdown and fireworks. I lost count after 12 fireworks launches. I got to the start line at 625am. I kept my pace and finished 50 seconds under my total time goal (so my time is something like 12:56 a mile versus something like 13:02). That "12" versus a "13" was important to me. (A friend I had said his time would have been 12:62 instead of 13:02 :rotfl:). But my goal was 13 minutes per mile and came in just under that. Again, not a barn burner, just a happy finisher.

The Christmas tree is STILL up in the MK - bit of a surprise.

It's in the low 60s (63F if you want a number) with blue sky and thin high white clouds. Going to relax this afternoon and celebrate with dinner tonight over at Downtown Disney. Then we check out tomorrow. But I still have a few thinks planned before then. :rolleyes1

Also don't drift away tomorrow from this TR if you are interested in camping places in Florida other than the Fort. We are going to zip down to Tampa for a short family visit and while there I want to check out a possible future destination which I will share in case anyone else is looking for somewhere else to camp in Florida. So stay tuned.

Bama Ed

. . . The race started at 530am with the wheelchair athletes first and then all the corrals at 4-5 minute intervals each with their own DJ countdown and fireworks. I lost count after 12 fireworks launches. I got to the start line at 625am . . .

Did you see me in my Collar blessing the runners along with the other clergy?

Here's a view behind my site of the sky. I think I'll head over to the TE porch and nap in a rocker there (while I still can).

Bama Ed

Huge congrats on hitting your goal. That is always a huge sense of satisfaction. Not sure if sub-13 was a personal best, but for 13+ miles, that is a nice pace.

Do you run with a smart watch? If not and you were running "blind" it is even more admirable. My cycle computer makes it pretty easy to know if I am on pace all the time. Does laps during a criterium, and all the usual avg time, distance and stuff. Even tells me how long I am in and out of target HR. I always wondered how much "data" you really had during a marathon (or half).

j

Also don't drift away tomorrow from this TR if you are interested in camping places in Florida other than the Fort. We are going to zip down to Tampa for a short family visit and while there I want to check out a possible future destination which I will share in case anyone else is looking for somewhere else to camp in Florida. So stay tuned.

Bama Ed

Fort De Soto Park? Just making a guess for fun. Congrats on race and enjoy the day! Looks like a nice one. :beach:

Sitting at Southwest gate in Fort Lauderdale waiting to return to the CT cold...got a taste of the nice weather at least.

Turning into a pretty day.

Tiggerdad, hope you dont mind me copying your idea in that last picture.

Bama Ed

What!? Are you kidding me? I love see that pic. I can imagine I'm the one there. Oh well.

Looks like you were just to the left of me there...

Personally I prefer the bottom rail more leveled out position for my feet...

Glad your race went good. It was cold in the woods this morning, but deer and squirrels were moving a good bit. Must have just been a good day to be up early and moving.

Thanks for the great TR Ed and congrats for doing the 13 miles this morning I bet that was a great site to see the rocket going up this morning. The wife and I will be doing the 10K there next month. I hope the weather for us is as good as it was for you this morning. We will be camping at the fort that weekend see all your pictures is getting me excited for our trip there. Thanks again for all the great info you are posting.

Ryan

Congrats on the race - beginning, continuing, and mostly finishing!! Makes me tired to think about it! You are due some relaxation now. Have a safe trip home. :)

Does your wife help drive when you are towing? I 'will not' drive the mh yet, but I did help tow all our trailers, except the 5th wheel. Never would drive the truck even without towing - just didn't feel comfortable.

Wanted to quickly pass along some pictures of the MK from my family who were waiting for me to come up Main Street this morning. They got there when it was dark and you can see there were still lots of Christmas decorations up.

Bama Ed

Catching up on comments and questions...

Now we need to work out the details on the Mullet Team Tri!
One question though. Do I have to get my hair cut like Billy Ray to be in the "Mullet" race? :rotfl2:
Or we can get one of these to wear. Might be hard to keep on during the swim.

7B0B32BD.jpg

j, I think we are safe on the Billy Ray haircut. I think that must a be a reward (or punishment) for the top 3 in each age group.

Congrats on your run. Looks like you are having a great time at the Fort. I know its not a years notice, we are making plans and ressie for end of Sept. beginning of Oct. for a full site for 1 1/2 weeks. Hopefully will be warmer at night then last time we where there. Once again, congrats!

Ack! :faint: That's right at the start of Alabama's season.

Ed, Enjoy the run tomorrow. Pics are great. We live just up the road from a great train place. The Steamtown National Park is here in Scranton, PA. We got some of the biggest steam ever built housed here and of course they do run trips out during the year. Love going over to marvel at them and their sheer size.

PaH, been to Steamtown. Enjoyed it very much especially the shed/roundhouse area. I also remember staying in a hotel in downtown Scranton that was either the town's Grand Central Station or the HQ of the railroad company (don't remember which). But it was very nice and nostalgic.

Do you run with a smart watch? If not and you were running "blind" it is even more admirable. My cycle computer makes it pretty easy to know if I am on pace all the time. Does laps during a criterium, and all the usual avg time, distance and stuff. Even tells me how long I am in and out of target HR. I always wondered how much "data" you really had during a marathon (or half).

j

Plain ol' Timex Ironman, j. I don't need any of that fancy stuff. I trained and learned for a 13 minute pace. I used an alternating run/walk strategy (90 seconds run / 60 seconds walk / and repeat over and over. Walk through the water stops and up hills. Extend runs if down hills. Walk if tired, run if okay. Watch the Timex and be flexible. I did use my chronometer (for personal elapsed time) so I knew at 1 mile I should be 13 minutes in, at 2 mile 26 minutes in, etc. I heard a lot of talking devices from other people during the run though. In looking at my official results, my run/walk was a steady pace through 10k (6.2 miles) but the next 5k took 2 minutes longer so I was starting to tire.

Fort De Soto Park? Just making a guess for fun. Congrats on race and enjoy the day! Looks like a nice one. :beach:

Congrats. That's it. Somebody give that man a cookie. :cool1:

Ryan, seeing the rocket was indeed cool. Good luck next month on your run.

Bama Ed

But another is a pilgrimage to the Fort Wilderness Railroad.

I love steam trains (operational only) and have seen and/or ridden most of them west of the Mississippi and south of Lake Erie. The closest to home is the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in Chattanooga, TN. Steam trains are living, breathing behemoths with personalities all their own.
Bama Ed

Ed, Their is a guy that works with me who owns, along with his brother a Climax steam engine that is operational in N.H. His parents own a amusement park of sorts. Here is a exert from there web site:

In the early 50's, fascinated by steam-power, the Clark brothers began to rescue steam locomotives from the cutting torch creating "green pastures for iron horses" at the Trading Post. Conceived with hard work and an impressive collection of locomotives - including models by Climax, Heisler, Shay and Porter - the White Mountain Central Railroad was born.

Today, after 50 years of "moving people by steam," the White Mountain Central Railroad primarily relies on the Climax locomotive, one of only three left in operation worldwide.

Just thought I would throw that out there. Vince

I stayed at De Soto with my parents in the Aliner back in the day. Was a great place. Water front sites were great! I do remember that the raccoons chewed through our fresh water hose for a drink...lol. Maybe they in cahoots with the Fort squirrels to create chaos. Enjoy! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter