Babycakes Closing

I got tears in my eyes when I found out Babycakes was closing. They produce the only treat that all of my family members can eat. A trip to Babycakes was one of the must do's on our vacation list. WDW has always been my Happy Place, but the changes they are making is leading me to very painfully decide to vacation elsewhere.

Can't believe that they are already demolishing that building! :confused3
Lots of people liked Babycakes.

McDonalds was kicked out only a few years ago then the building was redesigned/built for several different stores, now this!

Just wish they'd stop with 'all' the changes they are doing over all. Disney wasn't broken - so why try to 'fix' it! :furious:

I hope that they will be offered another spot on property to continue operations. I am worried that without a storefront they will not be profitable and ultimately pull out of WDW. If they are going to be doing the baking without a storefront, I pray they expand their availability to more resort and park outlets.

Do what some of us did yesterday, write an e-mail to special diets and Guest Services and let them know that you want Babycakes to reopen in a new loacation. If we don't tell them our needs, they will never know.

One thing to remember is that this might not all be 100% on Disney to make the decision. Yes, they would have to have a location for the bakery, but Babycakes might also decide it wasn't worth it to them. So, if you send a letter to Disney be sure to send one to Babycakes as well. Cover all your bases!

One thing to remember is that this might not all be 100% on Disney to make the decision. Yes, they would have to have a location for the bakery, but Babycakes might also decide it wasn't worth it to them. So, if you send a letter to Disney be sure to send one to Babycakes as well. Cover all your bases!

good point….I sent letters to Disney and just now sent one to Babycakes. Honestly, if there will be no more Babycakes then Disney needs to come up with an alternative for those with multiple allergies. I told Disney Enjoy Life products are not a treat-we get them at our local grocery store and they get packed with school lunch. I also emphasized that those with multiple allergies deserve a FRESHLY made treat-not a boxed or frozen treat…...

good point….I sent letters to Disney and just now sent one to Babycakes. Honestly, if there will be no more Babycakes then Disney needs to come up with an alternative for those with multiple allergies. I told Disney Enjoy Life products are not a treat-we get them at our local grocery store and they get packed with school lunch. I also emphasized that those with multiple allergies deserve a FRESHLY made treat-not a boxed or frozen treat…...

I did the same thing. I suggested they operate their own allergy kitchen and then wrap the products to prevent CC so that people with special dietary needs can also have Mickey cupcakes and cookies. I also let then know that while we are glad they offer some sort of dessert, my daughter doesn't like Enjoy Life Cookies or OMG brownies.

I did the same thing. I suggested they operate their own allergy kitchen and then wrap the products to prevent CC so that people with special dietary needs can also have Mickey cupcakes and cookies. I also let then know that while we are glad they offer some sort of dessert, my daughter doesn't like Enjoy Life Cookies or OMG brownies.

Did you also offer to pay the extra charge doing this would be?

They would either have to build a new kitchen facility or completely retrofit an existing location. Either way, it would be VERY costly. I have designed commercial kitchens. I have priced what it takes to "build" a commercial kitchen. It is not cheap. That cost will them be passed on to the customer. Are you willing to pay those costs?

And I am not trying to be rude, but your child not "liking" a specific brand isn't really a reason for Disney to change. Plenty of people DO like those brands just fine. There is no way for Disney to carry every product just to make every customer happy. That is impossible.

1) The MAIN REASON for closure is the Disney Springs demolition.
2) However, at this time they do not if they will remain at WDW.
3) At all.
4) There is just not that much call for upscale gluten-free items, etc.
5) Time will tell.
6) Film at Eleven . . . . . .

My sister is gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, etc. She loves Babycakes. In fact she was working in Ocala, Fl last week with her fiance. She begged him to take a break and go to Disney for 2 days just so she could go to Babycakes. I told her good thing you got to go because it turns out that will be your last visit there. She was so upset. She was already back in Ocala working when I told her. Had she known, she would have stocked up.

They would either have to build a new kitchen facility or completely retrofit an existing location. Either way, it would be VERY costly. I have designed commercial kitchens. I have priced what it takes to "build" a commercial kitchen. It is not cheap. That cost will them be passed on to the customer. Are you willing to pay those costs?

And I am not trying to be rude, but your child not "liking" a specific brand isn't really a reason for Disney to change. Plenty of people DO like those brands just fine. There is no way for Disney to carry every product just to make every customer happy. That is impossible.

People with special dietary needs should be able to have what others have, not just pre -packaged stuff. Disney is fully capable of affording to accomdate this need. People come to WDW from all over the world because they know they can eat safely here. Being able to get special bakery will only enhance that.

1) The MAIN REASON for closure is the Disney Springs demolition.
2) However, at this time they do not if they will remain at WDW.
3) At all.
4) There is just not that much call for upscale gluten-free items, etc.
5) Time will tell.
6) Film at Eleven . . . . . .

Babycakes was hidden in a building with another QS place. Their name isn't even on the outside of the building, at least not when we were there last. If you didn't know it was there, why would you go looking for it? It was set up to fail in that regard. If it had it's own stand alone place, more people would know it was there and buy what they have to offer.

People with special dietary needs should be able to have what others have, not just pre -packaged stuff. Disney is fully capable of affording to accomdate this need. People come to WDW from all over the world because they know they can eat safely here. Being able to get special bakery will only enhance that.

While it's certainly nice if that can happen, there is no kind of legal requirement, and therefore, market rules apply. What Disney can or can't afford is (or should be) irrelevant. It will be based on what makes financial sense, and if they don't believe that they will see an adequate ROI in an allergy bakery, they would be foolish to build and operate one.

Sure they can have what others have if they will pay for it. But the question is are they willing to pay what it will cost?

Disney is a business and they have to make money . If they could make the same amount of money they would be doing it. I just don't think the market would bear the cost. Look at the markup on a rice krispy treat, now apply that to specialty allergy items which cost a lot more to make.

My DD no longer has a lot of the food allergies she once had, but at one point we couldn't even order from Babycakes because she developed an allergy to potatoes and they use potato starch. So, should I have expected WDW to offer fresh baked items with even less of the common food allergens then Babycakes items? It's just unrealistic to expect them to cater to every single dietary restriction. Sure it would be great, but it won't happen. I miss some of the brands they used to carry, but we've resorted to bringing our own.

People come to WDW from all over the world because they know they can eat safely here.
I recall quite a few threads in the last few years started by people outraged that they ate at Babycakes and later developed allergy symptoms. I recall people on these thread calling for lawsuits. The business probably decided it wasn't worth it.

My son has a peanut allergy. It's not up to Disney to make products that he can eat. It's up to me to do my research and accommodate my child myself.

Did you also offer to pay the extra charge doing this would be?
Sure they can have what others have if they will pay for it. But the question is are they willing to pay what it will cost?

Disney is a business and they have to make money . If they could make the same amount of money they would be doing it. I just don't think the market would bear the cost. Look at the markup on a rice krispy treat, now apply that to specialty allergy items which cost a lot more to make.
Do you for some reason think people have not been buying more expensive allergy products?
Most of the allergy items do not cost more to make. Honestly, we often pay more for things made with less expensive ingredients. When the allergy meal is created by leaving things out, by your logic Disney should be paying me back for all the food they skipped out on serving. Specifically looking at your rice krispy treat example, there are many ways to make a same or lower cost option for people with allergies. With items of that nature we are looking at cost differences of pennies, a small percentage difference, so the argument that cost is the remaining factor is rather absurd.

Seeing as how I price stainless steel rooms for a living, I feel confident chiming in here to say that the cost of a kitchen for this sort of thing is not significant. Disney builds/relocates/retrofits this sort of equipment on a scale frequency that this truly would be a drop in the bucket. So the baking facility needs another room that is free from a set list of items. Making a room free of egg (or whatever you want to insert there) is no more complicated than making a room free of cyanide.

I agree with you that Disney can't be worried about personal choices of which brands somebody likes, when you build up a standard that the average guest is getting 5-6 options per place they go- nobody should have to be on property for a week at a time with ONE exact same item being the only thing they are ever offered. My DS gets offered the exact same cookie everywhere we go- and he is allergic to it! They have zero alternatives, it is "regular food? if no -> that one allergy cookie."

While it's certainly nice if that can happen, there is no kind of legal requirement, and therefore, market rules apply. What Disney can or can't afford is (or should be) irrelevant. It will be based on what makes financial sense, and if they don't believe that they will see an adequate ROI in an allergy bakery, they would be foolish to build and operate one.
Yes. I disagree that it wouldn't get a return though. You eat more desserts on vacation. People who can't get any dessert at home, buy even more. On our last trip we easily spent over $100 at Babycakes, plus the club lounge was giving DS 2-3 items/day. That would not happen at home and we are not the only ones. Every time we were there we had to wait in line and it was a slow season. The babycakes wait was as bad as many of our ride waits.

I recall quite a few threads in the last few years started by people outraged that they ate at Babycakes and later developed allergy symptoms. I recall people on these thread calling for lawsuits. The business probably decided it wasn't worth it.

My son has a peanut allergy. It's not up to Disney to make products that he can eat. It's up to me to do my research and accommodate my child myself.
I haven't seen any threads about Babycakes and reactions. I just searched for it and came up empty.

Nobody is saying they shouldn't research and accommodate their own needs. It always sucks to finally have something and have it taken away. Babycakes hasn't always been around, but before they were Disney used to do more. Once they got there, Disney chefs stopped making baked treats and instead had Babycakes items. If they don't go back to baking it will be really sad for my son. There are no stores that make cookies, cupcakes or doughnuts he can have besides babycakes. None. We will go on our yearly vacation and he will go around the parks watching other kids have baked goods and Mickey treats and he will have nothing. I can make him some before we leave home, but we don't have any recipes that keep well so he will run out around day 3. What then, hand him a box of mix and a spoon? It isn't Disney's "problem", but it's completely reasonable to be upset and sad that they may not be there in the future. It's reasonable to be annoyed that this place that sets you up to be in their little bubble, where outside items are a hassle to get, has nothing to offer him especially when they assure you before arrival not to worry because they have it covered.

Nobody is saying Disney needs to give them anything. People are upset because a store that gave them an amazing ability to walk into a shop and get something is going away. People who are willing to go and buy the product.

WOW!! We are a family with food allergies and 2 very dedicated Vegans and it has never even crossed my mind that a restaurant , theme park , hotel, school ect... is responsible for providing us with a FRESHLY made treat. You do realize that not being able to eat a cupcake in Disney isn't/shouldn't ruin you vacation and for most people those with special dietary issues this wouldn't even show up on their radar. Disney is a business solely based on making money not a non profit charitable organization.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter