Babycakes Closing

I wonder if the current location closing wasn't there choice. It could be that the other places they share the building decided to pull out, and since they only have a small area of it they couldn't justify staying there.

I was at The Mara at Animal Kingdom Lodge yesterday and can confirm that they were still offering a Babycakes product. They had the 4 mini chocolate brownie/cupcake things. I don't recall the price.

Gluten Free Orlando posted that they have two types of donuts at the AK allergy kiosk. Unfortunately it looks like they may no longer have the blondies and it's unclear if they'll be keeping the donuts so who knows what will be there but it's at least recent info.

I wonder if the current location closing wasn't there choice. It could be that the other places they share the building decided to pull out, and since they only have a small area of it they couldn't justify staying there.

I signed up for a Twitter account to follow what is going on with them. :rotfl2: This is how they worded it on there: "Our last day of operations at the Pollo Campero Restaurant will be 3/19, we plan to continue to provide items to locations in WDW"

They also posted this to show where their products would be available on property:
http://www.babycakesnyc.com/downtown-disney-orlando-fl.html

I "tweeted" them asking if they are going to add to that list of resorts. They haven't responded yet but I may not have done it correctly since it was my first "tweet" :)

I signed up for a Twitter account to follow what is going on with them. :rotfl2: This is how they worded it on there: "Our last day of operations at the Pollo Campero Restaurant will be 3/19, we plan to continue to provide items to locations in WDW" They also posted this to show where their products would be available on property: http://www.babycakesnyc.com/downtown-disney-orlando-fl.html I "tweeted" them asking if they are going to add to that list of resorts. They haven't responded yet but I may not have done it correctly since it was my first "tweet" :)

Thanks for the link! I wonder if you special order something small (cupcake, donut, etc.) and have it delivered to a table service restaurant, if you have to pay extra or if it would be included in the DDP. Anyone know?

Thanks for the link! I wonder if you special order something small (cupcake, donut, etc.) and have it delivered to a table service restaurant, if you have to pay extra or if it would be included in the DDP. Anyone know?

Special orders are for cakes. If you want cupcakes or donuts (if you still find then) you need to go to a location(resort) that sell the Babycakes items.

I really hope they add some retail locations in the MK area. Seems odd they have not added any kiosks in MK or any products in the monorail resorts.:scratchin

I signed up for a Twitter account to follow what is going on with them. :rotfl2: This is how they worded it on there: "Our last day of operations at the Pollo Campero Restaurant will be 3/19, we plan to continue to provide items to locations in WDW"

They also posted this to show where their products would be available on property:
http://www.babycakesnyc.com/downtown-disney-orlando-fl.html

I "tweeted" them asking if they are going to add to that list of resorts. They haven't responded yet but I may not have done it correctly since it was my first "tweet" :)

They answered my "tweet" but they just said they would keep me posted about future resorts being added.

Babycakes uses Bob's Red Mill flours which are NOT safe if you have to worry about nut cross contamination. (I suppose some people feel comfortable with Bob's Red Mill's product handling, but I have heard from many with reactions, so we steer clear)

They include that info on their site: http://www.babycakesnyc.com/allergies.html

I do think that a resort such as Disney, that is so good at accommodating allergens, and has really become a 'go-to' getaway for those of us with kids with allergies BECAUSE it offers so many safe options--they could certainly set up a bakery that meets many allergy needs. Of course you can never meet every need, but they could serve a LOT of people if they baked without gluten and the top 8 food allergens.

And yes, when I'm paying upwards of $5-10k to take my family on vacation--I have no problem shelling out $5-$7 bucks so my child can experience the excitement of walking into a bakery, smelling that intoxicating aroma, and picking whatever her little heart desires out of a bakery case!

They 'had' no choice at that location - Disney is razing that building.

They would either have to build a new kitchen facility or completely retrofit an existing location. Either way, it would be VERY costly. I have designed commercial kitchens. I have priced what it takes to "build" a commercial kitchen. It is not cheap. That cost will them be passed on to the customer. Are you willing to pay those costs?

And I am not trying to be rude, but your child not "liking" a specific brand isn't really a reason for Disney to change. Plenty of people DO like those brands just fine. There is no way for Disney to carry every product just to make every customer happy. That is impossible.

The problem is not one of whether the child likes a particular brand or not. It is about Disney. My DD (4) has a wheat allergy and we were sooo looking forward to taking her to Babycakes where she could choose a fresh made bakery item out of a case, like everyone else and enjoy it. She gets all those other brands at home. They are NOT special or unique. Disney is supposed to be about new experiences and a "special" time for everyone.

You don't realize how much a wheat or gluten allergy changes a person's life. EVERYTHING has wheat in it and hardly anyplace serves gluten or wheat free items. Disney bends over backwards to make sure other allergies and health limitations are taken care of...

Besides....a major flaw to your argument about that is that it is a one time cost that will be recouped by the sale of their products. They have to purchase all those "brand name" gluten and wheat free products, so they would cut out the middle man and make a greater profit selling their own product versus buying someone else's packaged product. So it is a better situation for them anyway.

I have a feeling it is because they can avoid liability if there is contamination in a packaged product versus a product that they produce themselves. Makes more sense than any other argument against it.

The problem is not one of whether the child likes a particular brand or not. It is about Disney. My DD (4) has a wheat allergy and we were sooo looking forward to taking her to Babycakes where she could choose a fresh made bakery item out of a case, like everyone else and enjoy it. She gets all those other brands at home. They are NOT special or unique. Disney is supposed to be about new experiences and a "special" time for everyone.

You don't realize how much a wheat or gluten allergy changes a person's life. EVERYTHING has wheat in it and hardly anyplace serves gluten or wheat free items. Disney bends over backwards to make sure other allergies and health limitations are taken care of...

Besides....a major flaw to your argument about that is that it is a one time cost that will be recouped by the sale of their products. They have to purchase all those "brand name" gluten and wheat free products, so they would cut out the middle man and make a greater profit selling their own product versus buying someone else's packaged product. So it is a better situation for them anyway.

I have a feeling it is because they can avoid liability if there is contamination in a packaged product versus a product that they produce themselves. Makes more sense than any other argument against it.

Okay... what is the ROI? Considering I have figured out an ROI for similar projects (though mine were based on a vegan based restaurant and a regular bakery as opposed to an allergy free bakery), I can tell you that it is not as simple as many think. Also, what allergies do you cover? How dedicated are you? How worried are you about cross contamination?

And I do have an understanding of not being able to eat many "normal" products. While I don't have any food allergies, I have had an anaphylactic reaction to medications and I have a loooong list of foods I can't eat due to a medical condition where these foods can cause be extreme pain. Soy is a pain in the butt btw. Especially Soy Lecithin. I would say, based off of what I have seen, it can be as bad as gluten.

If it could make money Disney would be doing it. Which allergies do you cater to? How to you transport? Remember Disney world is roughly the size of Manhattan. It's not just start up costs (but a commercial bakery can cost tens of thousands if not hundreds depending on size and if you dealing with allergies you probably will have duplicates of many appliances to avoid cross contamination) but ingredients, personnel, transportation, energy etc etc. Disney has determined the demand simply isn't there or maybe they just don't want to wade in that legal quagmire because the benefit doesn't compensate for the potential risk. There is an allergy free bakery near me. They charge 7-8 a cupcake and are not nut free and have few gluten free items.

If it could make money Disney would be doing it. Which allergies do you cater to? How to you transport? Remember Disney world is roughly the size of Manhattan. It's not just start up costs (but a commercial bakery can cost tens of thousands if not hundreds depending on size and if you dealing with allergies you probably will have duplicates of many appliances to avoid cross contamination) but ingredients, personnel, transportation, energy etc etc. Disney has determined the demand simply isn't there or maybe they just don't want to wade in that legal quagmire because the benefit doesn't compensate for the potential risk. There is an allergy free bakery near me. They charge 7-8 a cupcake and are not nut free and have few gluten free items.

This, exactly. There has to be a large enough demand or Disney isn't going to bother. "new experiences and a "special" time for everyone" is only going to happen if it is cost effective.

I'm allergic to wheat, dairy, egg, peanut, soy, dates, flax and numerous other things. Bottom line for me is that I'm just disappointed for those who COULD eat babycakes. It is the only place I've ever been to that had treats I could eat aside from my own kitchen. Yes, it was expensive compared to some other places that those without allergies can eat at, but it was worth it to me. I'm sad for anyone who can't find food of any kind that's safe when they travel or vacation. I know no bakery can comply with every allergy but for those who once enjoyed a food they loved, it's just sad when it's no longer available. Hopefully, WDW will continue the trend of trying to accommodate as many special diet needs as possible. I know no one owes me help with my dietary needs but it sure is great when they do! :)

And yes, when I'm paying upwards of $5-10k to take my family on vacation--I have no problem shelling out $5-$7 bucks so my child can experience the excitement of walking into a bakery, smelling that intoxicating aroma, and picking whatever her little heart desires out of a bakery case!

^^^This. We eat a very specific diet when not at WDW. Gluten free, dairy free, no artificial food dyes, flavors, sweeteners, and on and on. We (obviously) relax those standards while on vacation, but eating gluten/dairy free isn't an option for my son, it's a necessity.

Also, we don't do processed foods, so no sugar. We use local raw honey as our sweetener. As a general rule, we don't really eat cookies, cakes, doughnuts, etc at home.

So….when we visit WDW every year, my son absolutely LOVES being able to walk into Babycakes and pick out whatever.he.wants. I'll shell out whatever I have to to finally--FINALLY--not have to tell him no baby, I'm sorry but you can't have that.

I do so hope they continue to offer their products, or open at another location. We survived Disney before Babycakes, and we'll survive it again without. But, for us, Disney is better with :).

I just thought I would add my recent email exchange info for those that are interested.

I emailed babycakes to ask if they have expanded the locations where they are selling their bakery items as currently there is nothing available in the MK area. I also asked if I could have a delivery to our resort, NOT a dining venue.

They currently do not have any items for sale in the MK area. They do sell items at AOA, BW Bakery, POP, AKL, BC, and AK allergy kiosk. They will deliver cakes to most WDW dining reservations. They also said they will deliver to WDW hotels too! I specifically asked if they could deliver not only cakes but also cupcakes, brownies and cookies to resorts as well and the response was YES :cool1:

I am very excited about this as we are going to place 2 orders. I am ordering a birthday cake and brownies for delivery to the GF on our arrival day. I am then placing a second order of brownies, cupcakes and cookies for delivery on our departure day so that we can take them with us to PBH for the second half of our vacation at Uni.

I really do hope they get another storefront when DTD is finished but at least they are still providing their allergy friendly sweets to those of us who cannot take our families to the "normal" bakeries. ;)

I just thought I would add my recent email exchange info for those that are interested. I emailed babycakes to ask if they have expanded the locations where they are selling their bakery items as currently there is nothing available in the MK area. I also asked if I could have a delivery to our resort, NOT a dining venue. They currently do not have any items for sale in the MK area. They do sell items at AOA, BW Bakery, POP, AKL, BC, and AK allergy kiosk. They will deliver cakes to most WDW dining reservations. They also said they will deliver to WDW hotels too! I specifically asked if they could deliver not only cakes but also cupcakes, brownies and cookies to resorts as well and the response was YES :cool1: I am very excited about this as we are going to place 2 orders. I am ordering a birthday cake and brownies for delivery to the GF on our arrival day. I am then placing a second order of brownies, cupcakes and cookies for delivery on our departure day so that we can take them with us to PBH for the second half of our vacation at Uni. I really do hope they get another storefront when DTD is finished but at least they are still providing their allergy friendly sweets to those of us who cannot take our families to the "normal" bakeries. ;)

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing! I usually have no other safe dessert options at WDW other than Babycakes. I will be sure to place an order to have delivered to Kidani when we arrive so I'll have treats all week. Vacation is the only time I really allow myself to enjoy desserts so I was heartbroken when I thought babycakes was no longer an option.

Did you just email the main Babycakes location?

Thanks again! :)

Great news!! Those that have the desire and the means to order should definitely do so! If the demand keeps up hopefully they will come up with other ways to ensure their treats are available!

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing! I usually have no other safe dessert options at WDW other than Babycakes. I will be sure to place an order to have delivered to Kidani when we arrive so I'll have treats all week. Vacation is the only time I really allow myself to enjoy desserts so I was heartbroken when I thought babycakes was no longer an option.

Did you just email the main Babycakes location?

Thanks again! :)

You're welcome :goodvibes I was so happy that they are willing to deliver to the hotel that I wanted to share with others that would appreciate the service as well.

I emailed them at dtd@babycakesnyc.com The first response I got seemed sort of canned or typical response type email that is most likely just a cut and paste. It did not answer all of my questions. I then responded to that email and the response from that exchange was more personal and exactly the info I needed. She also offers a phone number to call and ask questions as well that will be included with the response.

Good luck and happy ordering :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter