Availability - Nothing

As a landlord I would want the most dollars, or in this case points. If I charged a bit less for the 1 bedrooms and could shift 20% of the studios to one bedrooms, I would pull down more points. It’s also likely I could cash rent out studios the easiest, so if I move the open availability for dates shorter out to studios, I may have the ability to cash pay more rooms and thus maximize my filled villas and thus my revenue.

I say raise studios and lower 1 bedrooms. At least until I can’t get 1 bedroom availability and then we’ll start a thread complaining that 1 bedrooms are too few points. LOL

For me, it's all about space. Sleeping space AND common area space. Space that stays space all the time, and doesn't get consumed by more beds, regardless of whether they are conventional or fold out of the wall. We won't stay in anything less than a 2BR if it's more than just me and the DW.

I am always amazed at how many people seem literally offended that many 1BR's actually sleep one less person than a studio in the same resort, even though they have a true living room, and a full kitchen and laundry. Just because you CAN fit another sleeping surface in a room doesn't mean you SHOULD. I mean, we have a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house. I COULD ostensibly fit two queen beds in every bedroom and voila, sleeping capacity for 16! Plus, that's "only" 5.3 people per bathroom, just like a 5 person studio! I can't even imagine having more than the 5 of us who lived here before the kids all grew up and moved out.

Hey, now that I think of it, I have three empty bedrooms, less than 20 minutes from Disneyland... Hmmmmmm.

For me, it's all about space. Sleeping space AND common area space. Space that stays space all the time, and doesn't get consumed by more beds, regardless of whether they are conventional or fold out of the wall. We won't stay in anything less than a 2BR if it's more than just me and the DW.
We tried a 1BR at OKW with all four of us once. It was our first DVC stay, when the kids were little. From then on, it was 2BRs or bust when four of us were traveling.

I've said this before, but I did not get into timesharing to stay in a glorified hotel room. I've only booked a studio once, and even then it was a "studio" with a king bed in a loft apart from the living space, and it included an apartment-appliance full kitchen. This was a really interesting place, as I wrote a while back:

I once booked a stay (via RCI) to what is a very sketchy resort in Granby, CO. To say it was long in the tooth would be an understatement. There were several folks living full time in some of the units as whole-ownership condos. There was at least one group of folks spending a few nights in a camper van in the parking lot during the week.

But, it was also an easy 25 minute drive to the Grand Lake entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park, in mid-August, just at the end of peak summer season. I hiked all over the park, including a hike that started straddling the Continental Divide and wound above the tree-line in the alpine tundra, where you can see literally for miles in every direction. I did some kayaking on Grand Lake, ate a bunch of lake trout and elk sausage, and generally had a lovely time in the mountains. I think I paid about $325-$350 for the full week, taxes included. I had read the reviews and knew what I was getting myself into. It was a fantastic vacation, but one that a lot of DVC Members would have been apoplectic about if they'd wandered in thinking they were staying at the Wilderness Lodge.

My favorite part of the resort: they have a resident barber and tattoo artist on site. Unfortunately, he was not working that week due to a death in the family.

Last edited:

I am always amazed at how many people seem literally offended that many 1BR's actually sleep one less person than a studio in the same resort, even though they have a true living room, and a full kitchen and laundry. Just because you CAN fit another sleeping surface in a room doesn't mean you SHOULD. I mean, we have a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house. I COULD ostensibly fit two queen beds in every bedroom and voila, sleeping capacity for 16! Plus, that's "only" 5.3 people per bathroom, just like a 5 person studio! I can't even imagine having more than the 5 of us who lived here before the kids all grew up and moved out.

Hey, now that I think of it, I have three empty bedrooms, less than 20 minutes from Disneyland... Hmmmmmm.

My husband and I are currenting in a two bedroom at HHI, and using all the space. He's working during the day at the kitchen table, I'm at the little desk in the second bedroom, we sleep in the master. We booked it because we thought maybe we'd take someone along (and HHI has a LOT of two bedrooms and not a lot of one bedrooms, particularly at the moment mid-renovation), but my mother got ill and we weren't sure the trip would happen at all. By the time we knew surgery was successful and I wouldn't be sitting next to a deathbed, it was late enough that our own plane tickets were really expensive, and no one could make short notice plans.

Companies and individuals walking is also a huge issue, much more than the walking fans want to admit.

I've been trying to book a Studio to use up my remaining points for a month now and I cannot get the room in my home resort at 11 months that matches the limited amount of points I have left.

There is 0 reason this should happen for a month straight.

Companies and individuals walking is also a huge issue, much more than the walking fans want to admit.

I've been trying to book a Studio to use up my remaining points for a month now and I cannot get the room in my home resort at 11 months that matches the limited amount of points I have left.

In order to walk points you had to book a room first. So if you are right than nobody would have ever booked a room. Plus if they walk the points there should be availability open once that time passes. If they remain booked that means there was actual demand. I believe most of your heartache is truly due to demand, holding reservations in case, and rentals. Not the initial group that wants to walk to ensure they get a trip.

I've said this before, but I did not get into timesharing to stay in a glorified hotel room.
Absolutely. If my husband and I are going, we get a 1 BR: we do not want to spent 8 nights climbing over each other and all our stuff in a studio. If my MIL goes with us, we get a 2Br LO - then she has her own space and everyone gets a real bed. I have no issues with how the 1BRs are valued in terms of points: a 1BR has more space and way more amenities than a studio. It should be significantly pricier.
If they remain booked that means there was actual demand. I believe most of your heartache is truly due to demand, holding reservations in case, and rentals. Not the initial group that wants to walk to ensure they get a trip.
Agreed. This is the thing I struggle with on several walking threads. Lack of availability frequently is chalked up to walking and nothing else. If the days do not open up, then it’s cannot be attributed entirely to walking: its demand for “high value” rooms (AKL value or concierge, BW standard, etc).

Absolutely. If my husband and I are going, we get a 1 BR: we do not want to spent 8 nights climbing over each other and all our stuff in a studio................... I have no issues with how the 1BRs are valued in terms of points: a 1BR has more space and way more amenities than a studio. It should be significantly pricier.
Couldn't agree more! We only do studios at the beginning of a split trip (usually 2-3 nights). I appreciate the ease of booking my BWV SV 1 Bedroom at 11 months and would not like to see a re-allocation that makes it more difficult!

Lack of availability frequently is chalked up to walking and nothing else. If the days do not open up, then it’s cannot be attributed entirely to walking: its demand for “high value” rooms (AKL value or concierge, BW standard, etc).
I agree! That said, I do think DVCMC should do something about what I suspect are 'bots' and the websites that list multiple 'high value' confirmed reservations booked as soon as the 11 month window opened.

Well, except you're competing for a very popular DVC time, early January. I wait and try for early February, when points bump up a tad. I'll need a two bedroom at OKW in early February, but I don't think I'll have any issues booking it. January ALWAYS books up quickly.

In order to walk points you had to book a room first. So if you are right than nobody would have ever booked a room. Plus if they walk the points there should be availability open once that time passes. If they remain booked that means there was actual demand. I believe most of your heartache is truly due to demand, holding reservations in case, and rentals. Not the initial group that wants to walk to ensure they get a trip.

Except demand in the case of a company now means trying to get ALL of the cheapest studio rentals and trying to resell them. Trying to maximize reselling dvc rentals was never supposed to be part of the original point and rule structure.

There is 0 reason I shouldn't be able to get a single random day in a Studio in January out of 22 potential dates at 11 months out.

Except demand in the case of a company now means trying to get ALL of the cheapest studio rentals and trying to resell them. Trying to maximize reselling dvc rentals was never supposed to be part of the original point and rule structure.

There is 0 reason I shouldn't be able to get a single random day in a Studio in January out of 22 potential dates at 11 months out.

As a single random day of Jan 21, 2024, there are studios available at SSR, OKW, VGF, AKV, BWV, BLT, RIV, POLY, CCR, BRV and BCV.

But if it is true walking then the rooms would come back for your dates and you would be able to get it shortly after the 11 month window.

If you are locked out and have been for a month, then that is not walking alone but heavy duty demand.

And, to be fair, if what you need is the lower point room at your resort, then it’s even more of a reason why demand is probably high…others want the same thing.

I mean I see availability and have got some myself. Also there is very little evidence to just blame other owners or a specific company. DVC may know better. I do agree companies add pressure holding reservations themselves 11 months in advance.

Agreed. This is the thing I struggle with on several walking threads. Lack of availability frequently is chalked up to walking and nothing else. If the days do not open up, then it’s cannot be attributed entirely to walking: its demand for “high value” rooms (AKL value or concierge, BW standard, etc).
I don't mind the walkers. My problem with it is that you don't know when they're going to drop the days they're walking past. So I end up picking up most of the stay, but miss out on a night or two, which then makes the other nights useless to me.

• Studios are under-pointed relative to everything else in the system.
I've done the math relative to rack rate and under that framework, 1BR are more over-pointed than Studios are under-pointed.

Points-per-dollar-of-rack-rate goes:
  1. 1-bedroom
  2. Specialties (treehouse, cabin, bungalow, 3-BRGV)
  3. 2-bedroom
  4. Studios
Studios are slightly "too cheap" relative to the average, but 1 bedrooms are much more above the average than studios are below it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter