• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Availability - Nothing

Except demand in the case of a company now means trying to get ALL of the cheapest studio rentals and trying to resell them. Trying to maximize reselling dvc rentals was never supposed to be part of the original point and rule structure.

There is 0 reason I shouldn't be able to get a single random day in a Studio in January out of 22 potential dates at 11 months out.
Remember, though, DVC is supposed to be policing commercial renters, with the policy of no more than 20 rental in a period of time (a year I think). Given that, one single company can't be monopolizing all the availability, the deeds would have to be registered under many different owners/memberships (Mother, Mother and Son, Mother and Daughter, Dad and son, Dad and Daughter, Dad, Dad and Mom, and so forth) If a family owns a lot of memberships in that way, and the individual memberships are not hitting DVCs yearly limit, what do you think could be legally done that wouldn't have a very negative impact on the DVC members that rarely rents their points? DVC could set the threshold lower, say 10 rentals, but even myself, who rented out just 100 point last year, had 4 or 5 seperate renters wher they were just 1 or 2 night rentals. If I had 200 or so points to rent, and they were short stays, I'd probably be close to hitting th threshold.

Last edited:
For me, it's all about space. Sleeping space AND common area space. Space that stays space all the time, and doesn't get consumed by more beds, regardless of whether they are conventional or fold out of the wall. We won't stay in anything less than a 2BR if it's more than just me and the DW.

I am always amazed at how many people seem literally offended that many 1BR's actually sleep one less person than a studio in the same resort, even though they have a true living room, and a full kitchen and laundry. Just because you CAN fit another sleeping surface in a room doesn't mean you SHOULD. I mean, we have a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house. I COULD ostensibly fit two queen beds in every bedroom and voila, sleeping capacity for 16! Plus, that's "only" 5.3 people per bathroom, just like a 5 person studio! I can't even imagine having more than the 5 of us who lived here before the kids all grew up and moved out.

Hey, now that I think of it, I have three empty bedrooms, less than 20 minutes from Disneyland... Hmmmmmm.

I understand that, but here's the counter point to that:

A deluxe studio is often (not always) sleeping 5 by having a Queen Bed, a Queen Murphy bed and then the twin pull out bed.

Many, not all, of the 1 BRs have the King bedroom, a Queen Murphy or sleeper sofa and then they have either a twin pull down or the twin chair. Since Disney has already made the living room a "sleeping area" by placing the sleeper sofa or the Murphy bed, then I would think they'd add the twin in some fashion.

What always confuses me is when Disney does NOT place the twin pull down or the twin sleep chair in one of the 1 BRs.

I'm not offended, I've just always found it interesting.

Boardwalk and Beach Club come to mind.

For us, in the past, we would choose a 1 BR where there was the availability to sleep 5. In truth, not because we needed 5 as we were only 4 in the family but because we had boy and girl who are enough of an age apart that it was SOOOO much easier to put the girl in the pull down murphy and the son in the pull down twin. That way they have their "own" bed. Of course, we would just do one of the 1 BRs that provided this setup.

Anyway, just an alternative point of view.

A deluxe studio is often (not always) sleeping 5 by having a Queen Bed, a Queen Murphy bed and then the twin pull out bed.

Many, not all, of the 1 BRs have the King bedroom, a Queen Murphy or sleeper sofa and then they have either a twin pull down or the twin chair. Since Disney has already made the living room a "sleeping area" by placing the sleeper sofa or the Murphy bed, then I would think they'd add the twin in some fashion.

What always confuses me is when Disney does NOT place the twin pull down or the twin sleep chair in one of the 1 BRs.

For us, in the past, we would choose a 1 BR where there was the availability to sleep 5. In truth, not because we needed 5 as we were only 4 in the family but because we had boy and girl who are enough of an age apart that it was SOOOO much easier to put the girl in the pull down murphy and the son in the pull down twin. That way they have their "own" bed. Of course, we would just do one of the 1 BRs that provided this setup.

I totally understand what you're saying. I just don't want beds folding out from every which where, and I honestly think 5 people in a studio is bordering on too many to begin with, unless one is an infant (and this is someone who had to do just that growing up with my mom, dad, and 2 sisters in regular hotel rooms, no "studios" back then). More beds, more people, more luggage to stuff somewhere.

And I do absolutely understand and respect budgetary constraints (when my kids were young we did the same thing) and personal choices. I guess I just feel that Disney has made accommodations available for families of 5 in some studios, in an effort to make vacations accessible to more people, but I just don't think they need to make every room at every hotel maxed out, occupancy-wise.

As to the sleeper chairs, you just know if they added a sleeper chair and made 5 permanent sleeping surfaces, someone would argue that you should be able to add a 6th person, provided you bring your own bedding.

The 1 bedrooms that do not have sleeping surfaces for 5 is because of the place of the lock off door

It is in the living room…not near the entry door..and so there was not enough room to add additionally sleeping space given the distance between that and the counter.

I totally understand what you're saying. I just don't want beds folding out from every which where, and I honestly think 5 people in a studio is bordering on too many to begin with, unless one is an infant (and this is someone who had to do just that growing up with my mom, dad, and 2 sisters in regular hotel rooms, no "studios" back then). More beds, more people, more luggage to stuff somewhere.

And I do absolutely understand and respect budgetary constraints (when my kids were young we did the same thing) and personal choices. I guess I just feel that Disney has made accommodations available for families of 5 in some studios, in an effort to make vacations accessible to more people, but I just don't think they need to make every room at every hotel maxed out, occupancy-wise.

As to the sleeper chairs, you just know if they added a sleeper chair and made 5 permanent sleeping surfaces, someone would argue that you should be able to add a 6th person, provided you bring your own bedding.

I very much agree on the studios, personally that's way too close to comfort to me if it was 5 people in a studio.

It's honestly more the 1 Bedrooms that always intrigued me and again for us the 5 sleeping 1 BR was with two kids that absolutely would not share a bed, so we had 4 in a 1 BR, just using 3 sleeping areas.

what @Sandisw says though makes a lot of sense as to why some 1 BRs do not have sleeping for 5.

The 1 bedrooms that do not have sleeping surfaces for 5 is because of the place of the lock off door

It is in the living room…not near the entry door..and so there was not enough room to add additionally sleeping space given the distance between that and the counter.
When they got rid of the little bar area I really had hoped the would have added the twin under the tv. They did it at SSR but that door to the bedroom is near the entryway as opposed to being in the living room.

This just means the air mattress in the owners locker is actually being used…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter