• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Availability - Nothing

CSpork

Earning My Ears
Was trying to plan a "Last Minute" trip! Well last minute for my family is under 7 months. Was looking at May 10-15, 2024, and there is not a single studio available for that period of time, not even SSR (BLT Home Resort but love SSR). Anybody know why availability is 0 even SSR?

Was trying to plan a "Last Minute" trip! Well last minute for my family is under 7 months. Was looking at May 10-15, 2024, and there is not a single studio available for that period of time, not even SSR (BLT Home Resort but love SSR). Anybody know why availability is 0 even SSR?
Timeshares are designed to be filled year-round, with rooms booked on a first-come, first-served basis. You're less than 4 months out from the second cheapest time of the year, trying to book the cheapest room type (studio). Unfortunately this is not surprising.

Go on the waiting list. SSR, OKW or AKV would have the greatest odds for success. You can have 2 active searches at once. You could also keep checking the website regularly for other options. Depending upon how heavily you travel, a split stay is something to consider. If nothing else, it allows you to enjoy the theming and amenities of two different locations during a single visit. Plus you have a lot better odds of getting 2-3 nights grouped together at different resorts than 5 nights at one.

Depending upon how heavily you travel, a split stay is something to consider. If nothing else, it allows you to enjoy the theming and amenities of two different locations during a single visit. Plus you have a lot better odds of getting 2-3 nights grouped together at different resorts than 5 nights at one.
Plus, once you have a split stay in place, you can start waitlisting one side or the other to extend it and hopefully converge on just one place.

Most likely that this is a lower points tier now made it more in demand. Also that you are looking for a studio - often the studios are the first to go, when 1-beds are still available at the same time period. If you're trying to book across a weekend - with weekdays before and after, it can get difficult to get consecutive days as the weekdays will be booked but some weekend days may still be available - again due to the budget hunting where people try to book the cheapest category room during the cheapest point seasons and on the lowest point days.

I had no problem this past week getting 4 to 6 consecutive days for upcoming trips in June, September, and December all at my home resort of Boardwalk - but all were 4 and 5 day weekend stays, and all 1-bedroom garden/pool view. I've had more difficulty in the past with trips within 3-4 months when looking for studios that included weekdays.

Point charts although we've frequently gone in May for years and years and Mother's Day weekend has long been one you wanted to book early.

That and the increased popularity of studios instead of bigger units - both because people have "just enough points for a studio" and because people who rent tend to book studios.

Just keep trying.

I had holding points and pulled together 3 nights at BLT for Feb. Could have pieced together 5. Had a couple at Poly at one point. One day, a ton of BWV opened up but I was not in 'modify" I was in "plan a trip" and by the time I got out and to my dashboard (my dashboard NEVER wants to load) they were gone. Could have grabbed AKV at some point.... But none of this was just go in and grab. This was heavy duty stalking and using waitlists. I will say, my first choice was SSR preferred and I never pulled that together.

I'm guessing you've got a good chance for May since it's further out than I was dealing with.

Timeshares are designed to be filled year-round, with rooms booked on a first-come, first-served basis. You're less than 4 months out from the second cheapest time of the year, trying to book the cheapest room type (studio). Unfortunately this is not surprising.

Go on the waiting list. SSR, OKW or AKV would have the greatest odds for success. You can have 2 active searches at once. You could also keep checking the website regularly for other options. Depending upon how heavily you travel, a split stay is something to consider. If nothing else, it allows you to enjoy the theming and amenities of two different locations during a single visit. Plus you have a lot better odds of getting 2-3 nights grouped together at different resorts than 5 nights at one.
I'm a little surprised that DVC hasn't adjusted the cost of studios slightly up and the cost of 1 bedrooms slightly down to offset this demand issue. Or maybe that is not something they can do? 1 bdrm being nearly double the cost of a studio is very shocking and irrational to me.

I'm a little surprised that DVC hasn't adjusted the cost of studios slightly up and the cost of 1 bedrooms slightly down to offset this demand issue. Or maybe that is not something they can do? 1 bdrm being nearly double the cost of a studio is very shocking and irrational to me.
As a landlord I don't think it is irrational. The larger the square footage, the higher the rent required. OKW Studios are about 390 sq ft, 1 bedrooms are 942 and include a full kitchen and laundry facilities, plus the jacuzzi tub.

As a landlord I don't think it is irrational. The larger the square footage, the higher the rent required. OKW Studios are about 390 sq ft, 1 bedrooms are 942 and include a full kitchen and laundry facilities, plus the jacuzzi tub.
Perhaps if they always included more sleeping space as well. The lack of demand by comparison shows that the pricing is off. But maybe that is intentional to reward higher points contract members with more availability options when in need of something on short notice.

Perhaps if they always included more sleeping space as well. The lack of demand by comparison shows that the pricing is off. But maybe that is intentional to reward higher points contract members with more availability options when in need of something on short notice.
The original point structure was based on square footage sp why you see the difference, along with total points for a resort is based on those pieces being booked as a 2 bedroom and not individually.

So, that also plays a role because they have to do that and make sure lock off premium stays neutral.

It is possible that both of the following can be true at the same time:
  • The point charts are (roughly) based on unit size, justifying the roughly 2:1 1BR:studio ratio.
  • Studios are under-pointed relative to everything else in the system.

• The point charts are (roughly) based on unit size, justifying the roughly 2:1 1BR:studio ratio.
People who want to book studios (for the lowest points possible) see it as "yeah charge twice as much, the square footage is double".
People who want to book 1BR for the extra space and features (for lower points) see it as "the occupancy is +/- 1 guests, why should I pay double? Availability clearly shows studios are too few points while 1BR are too many points based on demand, why are the 1BR subsidizing the low point cost of studios? Disney should rebalance".

Both are true. Even a bad lawyer could argue both sides.

I personally am fortunate to have enough points that I could always stay in a 1 BR, but always struggle to pay the extra points. We have done several split stays with 3-4 days in both sizes. If they rebalanced, I would do 1BR most of the time.

I would argue that with most resorts, the 1BR vs studio point premium is literally the price you pay with a family of 5 instead of a family of 4. (Yes, in some resorts, the studios sleep 5 but the 1br's sleep 4.) Ultimately, I wish that the studios and 1BRs all slept 5 so that the difference would really feel like paying for more space, a kitchen, laundry, etc.

The dates that fill up the quickest are usually the below average point seasons. Sept, Dec, Jan and May fill quicker than the gorgeous weather months of Oct, Nov, March, April. DVC people like to stretch their points!

It’s quite possible the increase in commercial/profit renters is changing availability patterns too.

Or, perhaps, DVC sold too many smaller contracts, and it is creating an overdemand for studios.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter