At what age is it no longer appropriate for kids to be pantless when company is over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who decided that it’s proper etiquette to wear pants at the dinner table cause I looked up Emily Post and it’s not even in her top 10 :rotfl2:

The DIS decides the social rules for all the land.

1. Pants must be worn by all family members outside of the bedroom, toddlers included to ensure that society doesn't start sporting their tighty whities in the streets. It's a slippery slope.

2. Church attire for weekly backyard suppers with mom and sis whether you actually attend church or not.

3. Whatever rules you decide in your own home, be sure to enforce the same everywhere.

1. Pants must be worn by all family members outside of the bedroom, toddlers included to ensure that society doesn't start sporting their tighty whities in the streets. It's a slippery slope.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: That’s true because you know how adults are. If they see a kid have or do something they’re gonna want to do it or have it too. Oh wait... that’s not right.

2. Church attire for weekly backyard suppers with mom and sis whether you actually attend church or not.

3. Whatever rules you decide in your own home, be sure to enforce the same everywhere.

And if the house is half yours or you used to live there, you have a say in what everyone does

I'm mostly curious how a dinner in someone's yard is so formal that it matters that much. Like, yeah, the kid is 5, he should have pants on. If it's hot, and everyone is in sundresses and shorts, I don't know if it's worth a battle for it. Is the kid an chronic pantless dude? Are they working on getting him to wear pants most of the time, and thus not always fighting battles when he doesn't actually NEED to? Was the mood so much better after a thing was made of the kid wearing/not wearing pants?

I'm mostly curious how a dinner in someone's yard is so formal that it matters that much. Like, yeah, the kid is 5, he should have pants on. If it's hot, and everyone is in sundresses and shorts, I don't know if it's worth a battle for it. Is the kid an chronic pantless dude? Are they working on getting him to wear pants most of the time, and thus not always fighting battles when he doesn't actually NEED to? Was the mood so much better after a thing was made of the kid wearing/not wearing pants?

I assume, for some, it's like getting dressed up to go to California Grill and some casually dressed family saunters by your table. Ruins your whole trip.:snooty:

I know it’s been asked more than once but OP hasn’t, or won’t, answer.

What EXACTLY is so wrong about a kid not wearing pants? I get that you don’t like it, but lots of people don’t like lots of things. A kid wearing his underoos to supper wouldn’t even be a blip for me. It would be a different stories if everyone else was in suits and dresses.

It comes down to their house, their rules. At my house if we had company, my child would be wearing pants. If per chance he wasn't wearing pants and my mother or my sister said, "Hey, go put some pants on." I would have him put pants on because obviously it was bothersome to my guests (yes, even if it was family).

I want to know the rule on how does one butter bread during a fancy, schmancy backyard, pants required, picnic? If you only have underoos on, can you butter the whole piece of bread at the same time? What about boxer briefs or bikini bottoms?

I want to know the rule on how does one butter bread during a fancy, schmancy backyard, pants required, picnic? If you only have underoos on, can you butter the whole piece of bread at the same time? What about boxer briefs or bikini bottoms?

You got me. I'm still working on teaching my husband that it's not acceptable to take out the trash in his boxers.

Okay, this is hilarious. Ooh la la, all you fancy, schmancy people who wear pants to dinner.

I'm starting to really wonder about life. It never occured to me that there were people who just wore their underwear to family dinner, regardless of the degree of formality!
I've heard of "black tie optional," but I've never heard of "pants optional!"

Pffft. Everyone knows pants on you butter the whole roll. Only low brow no pants wearing people butter as they go

Okay, this is hilarious. Ooh la la, all you fancy, schmancy people who wear pants to dinner.

I'm starting to really wonder about life. It never occured to me that there were people who just wore their underwear to family dinner, regardless of the degree of formality!
But, but, the child put on jeans and that still wasn't dressed to the OP's standard.

You must not have been around for the infamous buttering bread debate. :rotfl2:

Last edited:

I caution you to not walk down my street early in the morning on garbage day.

Well, duh, it is her sister, and most of us with sisters can say most anything to each other.

And to a pp, 5 years old is not exactly a toddler.

She wasn't talking to her, she was talking about her.

And I know the toddler comment wasn't directed at me, and I agree a 5 year old isnt a toddler. But 5 is an age where there is a huge difference between just turned 5 and almost 6. I suspect Mr No Pants will no longer desire stripping off within a couple of years.
The same kid that a 3 jogged the Stankey Park Seawall from English Bay in nothing but her undies is now an almost 9 year old that doesnt even want to get changed into her togs in front of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter