At a buffet, do you ever think to yourself "PIG"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all really fat and thin people have "obvious eating disorders". I am "normal" sized (anywhere from a 6-10), and I eat a lot more than many of the "fat" people I know. I also know very skinny people that can practically eat their weight (and no, they aren't going and throwing it up again).
Welllll then you wouldn't have been obvious then would you?

It's been my experience that persons with eating disorders are characterized as having such due to their obsession and compulsions re food period. Their lives are consumed and overtaken by food. They can also have feelings of hatred, jealousy, and disgust to many or all aspects pertaining to food. Their self worth is tied to food. Suicide is a major cause of death among those with eating disorders. Some people with eating disorders try to disguise it with dogmatic "healthy" eating.

Last edited:
I do, but only about myself ;) I might go up 5 - 6 times, but to be fair, I get a little of this, a little of that, each time. Probably a tablespoon, max, of each thing I like.

Always a salad first. Boma has all the delicious ones - watermelon rind, fruit salad, green salad, carrot, etc.

Next plate is veggies, appetizer-y stuff, soup or cheese board stuff.

Next is anything hot that caught my eye.

Next is favorites from the first 3 rounds.

Next is dessert. And maybe a little more from a favorite (goat cheese eggs, I am coming for you!)..

As far as other people, unless there is another reason I noticed them (love their outfit, they took the last of the goat cheese eggs, or sneezed all over the sneezeguard), I don't pay one bit of attention to how many times someone has been at the buffet.

1. I'm not really paying attention to how many times someone else goes up to the buffet, or how much they put on their plate. They paid for it, it's their business how much they take.
2. Nobody else knows what you are thinking, even if you are feeling guilty for thinking it.
3. It's fun to see 13 year old threads come back.

Would I think of myself as a pig in a buffet line? Well no I am Jewish so thinking if myself as treyf would be a little strange. I don't think or judge anyone in line. I once had a Samoan Marine in one of my platoons who usually ate 6 to 8 thousand calories (usually at dinner) just to keep hit weight on. Now I have seen the other side the girls had a maternal great aunt whose family would go to a local Chinese buffet and eat for 4 hours. While I never said anything to her I did think 4 hours YIKES.

Yes I would! But that’s why I paid for it lol I want to over eat and enjoy my vacation. Not at all worried about what other people think of me.

Plus I live in an area where buffet restaurants are pretty scarce so I enjoy a buffet from time to time.

In reference to another diner that you've seen go up once or twice before? How many times to they have to go up before you think it? Does it make a difference if they are male or female?

Odd questions but I'm intrigued... :wave:

**Edit to add in 2019 As I missed the complete craziness this became in 2006**

9/21/19 - So I’m back on here and looking into DVC and I looked into my history and found this gem.

I thought it was necessary to clarify and dig it up, not because I want to argue, but I had 0 clue how much this post would offend and I wanted to clarify and maybe open a discussion for others who have similar food struggles/issues.

I’ve always struggled with my weight. When I originally posted this I was at my thinnest, dieting like a fiend, and planning my wedding. We were going to Disney and to be honest I just wanted to eat it all on our honeymoon 😂😂. I have always had a hang up about my body and at that time I had lost 50 lbs and still felt fat in a size 8. I was and still am VERY uncomfortable and self conscious at buffets. I felt/feel like people are looking at what I’m eating and thinking I’m a pig each time I go up.

I shared that thought with my fiancée at the time, now husband, and he sayid people don’t give a fudge what you are doing on vacation at a buffet, they are focused on themselves.

I came here to see what people thought. I tried to make it light and keep my personal issues out if it but I see it hit a chord. For that I apologize.

Another reason why I felt the need to comment again- I still feel this way (self conscious at a buffet) and love that my husband was right!

Also, thanks to those who gave me the benefit of the doubt :)

Are you self conscious in the buffet line, too?
I like to try everything. For instance, with tip The Wave was over $50 for 2 ppl for breakfast! I wish I had an Xtra stomach or two to justify the expense. But at those prices, who wouldn't want to experience everything they could? The only thing I would "judge" about others is if I saw them cough or sneeze into the buffet, or let their kids lick the cookies then put them back ( something I actually witnessed at Whole Foods!) Other than that, I'm only looking at people enough not to be run into, have no time or inclination to notice how many times they visit the buffet.

I don't really judge peoples eating at buffets or wherever, especially on vacation.
1) I dislike when people take a lot of things an eat almost none of it. I was at my cousins wedding which was a buffet and I see a few family members take huge plates or multiple plates and eat like 1/4 on the plate. So wasteful
2) I hate when people hold up the line at buffets and act appalled if someone considers going around them when they spend 5 minutes buttering their bread.
3) otherwise pig out if you want to pig out, I know I will be.

to quote Louis CK " I don't stop eating when I'm full, the meal isn't over when I'm full. Its over when I hate myself"

I tend to not like buffets because I hate to be behind a slowpoke, Im antsy...but we do like doing Tusker House on our MK day. In 2016, I asked for ham and the carver gave me a giant portion! Im about average weight, a big butt but everything else average. He smiled and said "you will love it!" Lol, I DID! But I did feel like a pig! I dont judge other people, though, who cares? None of my business. I just actually lost 20 pounds so this will be my thinnest of the trips Ive taken...but I do love that ham!

I’m not a huge guy, 5’ 8” 170, but when I go to a buffet, I hit it hard. I’ll go up 5 or 6 times and load up my plate. I’m sure the people sitting in tables around me make comments, but I really don’t care.

I like this thread because it just shows how many of us are self conscious about being judged, while almost no one is actually paying attention to others.

I'll admit to being judgey once though. The family next to us at Cape May had MANY untouched cups of creme brulee. The dad was like 'what's with all the creme brulee' and the wife said the son only wanted the berry on top so she kept getting more 🤪 I am crazy about waste so that really bugged me.

I like this thread because it just shows how many of us are self conscious about being judged, while almost no one is actually paying attention to others.

This. I could not possibly tell you what anyone else is doing at a restaurant unless they are making a nuisance of themselves. But I feel a whole lot more comfortable eating in public since losing 140 lbs.

I hate clutter on my dinner plate so I go up multiple times but usually visit different portions of the buffet. If you can't pig out at a buffet, where can you?! :earboy2: I'm too busy figuring out what I want to eat next that I never notice what people around me are eating or grabbing.

Well, I mean, it's a buffet, so I basically expect most who choose to eat there will likely eat more than normal and indulge since it is so tempting and that is usually what happens when one goes to a buffet or like a wedding that has a lavish cocktail hour in the same way. So, sure, I usually eat alot when I go, but then I just assume everyone is. It's fun to enjoy life that way every so often and it's not like one is likely to be hitting these buffets hard very often, is it?

If it's a concern to you, this idea of either being judged for eating too much at a buffet or just the temptation of eating too much at buffets bothers you, you can limit your buffet outings at Disney and just do normal sit-down meals where you are less likely to eat as much.

Generally, I always eat more at Disney than in my real life, and I do put on a few pounds but it's a vacation, so I know that will happen. I used to be very heavy and lost the weight almost 3 years ago and I have had 2 Disney trips in that time frame, so of course, it's a concern for me, but I still had a blast each time and ate like a well, certain barn-yard animal, each time, and then I went back to my normal routine of watching what I eat and so forth when I returned from my vacation.

I will admit to worrying in my life if people thought I was making a spectacle of myself all the years when I was very heavy, sure, I did, I think many of us who were 'Pooh-sized' or are 'Pooh-sized- now might have some body issues. It's something I am still working on, not worrying what others think of my body or if I am eating too much, even now when I am a healthy weight. These issues and the issue of 'body dysmorphic disorder' are very real and a life-long struggle for many of us.

The most important thing is to try to be healthy, learn to love and accept yourself and not worry what others think. It is not easy to do that, it's something we must continuously strive for.

I wish I could eat more at one time. I just can't. I LOVE buffets, but I can never eat enough to justify the price and I get upset that I get full too quickly and can't try so many things that look good.

I don't really pay attention to other diners at a buffet. I generally don't pay attention to other people unless they are bringing attention to themselves in some way.

I find it hard to believe anyone would actually care or pay attention to how many times a complete stranger goes through the buffet line.

We don't go to buffets often- usually only Tusker House but I go up tons of times and it's not because I'm eating a lot or being a pig- I have 2 kids and a mother with knee problems so my husband and myself go through the line with the kids to help them then I'll get a plate for my mom THEN I go back to get my own plate. I don't like my food to touch so I get very little at a time. If I want more or the kids want more or my mom wants more then I'm back up there in line.

OP- don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Enjoy yourself and your vacation. Eat as much as you want at the buffet- you are definitely paying for it and no one will care or judge you!

Just wanted to chime in here cause I had a weird comment from a waiter at Boma that affected his tip. I do go up about 4 times at a buffet and I am chunky. Never got any looks from other diners, but towards the end of the meal the waiter made a comment (and I dont remember the exact words so I'll summarize) to the effect that he won over the other waiters cause I made him proud how much I ate...over their patrons I guess, or something like that. Maybe he thought it was funny but Boma is not Whispering Canyon Cafe and I found the joke inappropriate and nasty. I don't think 4 or even 5 plates, with two of them being soup, to be excessive. We had the same waiter this year, which soured my experience but I gave him the customary tip cause he didn't say anything similar this time. Thanks for letting me vent. Maybe I overreacted?

I eat what I want & don't care what others do. It's not my place to judge (unless you're walking reeeaaallly sloooow with your double wide stroller blocking the walkways at park opening then I may get a teeny bit judgey ). If someone wants to spend time on their Disney vacation thinking about my food consumption well hey that's their choice. I'm not that cool. lol

Just wanted to chime in here cause I had a weird comment from a waiter at Boma that affected his tip. I do go up about 4 times at a buffet and I am chunky. Never got any looks from other diners, but towards the end of the meal the waiter made a comment (and I dont remember the exact words so I'll summarize) to the effect that he won over the other waiters cause I made him proud how much I ate...over their patrons I guess, or something like that. Maybe he thought it was funny but Boma is not Whispering Canyon Cafe and I found the joke inappropriate and nasty. I don't think 4 or even 5 plates, with two of them being soup, to be excessive. We had the same waiter this year, which soured my experience but I gave him the customary tip cause he didn't say anything similar this time. Thanks for letting me vent. Maybe I overreacted?

I think I’d feel pretty much the same in that situation.
Unnecessary and rude.

I hope you shared your grievances at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter