Asked about child's age.

I am guessing it is just the height ...she is as tall as a 3 year old most definitely.......so if asked on November trip, do you think a picture of her birth certificate would work? Or do you think we would actually need a photocopy of the original. I don't want there to be a problem multiple days....DD is in MDE with her birthday on my account.... wouldn't they be able to look that up? Or no, not at park entrance? Thanks!
I don't think you should have to prove anything like a PP mentioned. But I'm just the error on the side of caution type person. I would hope these days just a screenshot of the birth certificate would work and that's probably all I would do :)

Wow im surprised to read this. We just got back from a trip with our son who turned 3 the week we were there. We didnt buy him any pass amd he is 38 inches ( tall enough for SdMT) and no one batted an eye ever. I was so nervous at first bc ppl have always commented how he looks older then he really is pretty much his whole life. I wonder if they were newer cast members just unsure of how to handle their suspicions

Other than asking her age because she is tall for a 1-yr-old, it doesn’t sound as though anyone challenged your response. So I think a BC is unnecessary, though a copy on your phone may make you feel better. But I would be prepared to be asked her age again next trip. Just answer “she’s 2” and i’m sure you’ll be fine.

Enjoy your vacation!

We just left WDW :( Had a great trip, but this trip we had CM's ask about my DD1 age four separate times when entering the park. No big deal, she did not have a ticket, I didn't mind at all telling them she is 1. It was really odd though going into MK on our second to last day.....the CM asked me if DD1 could get out of the stroller at magic bands scan. I told him she is 20 months.....just really odd. I got her out of the stroller and he called his supervisor over, asked her a question ( that I couldn't hear.) Then she said....they are fine.....and we were let into the park. DD1 is 36 inches, yes she is very tall, but I found this really odd. My question, should I bring her birth certificate along on our November trip, I do not have a ticket for her because she will just have turned 2. I don't want any problems there, but don't necessarily want to carry her bc around everywhere either.Any suggestions?Thank you!!
what on your child's birth certificate proves that it is the certificate for your child other than your word that a CM can see?

We just left WDW :( Had a great trip, but this trip we had CM's ask about my DD1 age four separate times when entering the park. No big deal, she did not have a ticket, I didn't mind at all telling them she is 1. It was really odd though going into MK on our second to last day.....the CM asked me if DD1 could get out of the stroller at magic bands scan. I told him she is 20 months.....just really odd. I got her out of the stroller and he called his supervisor over, asked her a question ( that I couldn't hear.) Then she said....they are fine.....and we were let into the park. DD1 is 36 inches, yes she is very tall, but I found this really odd. My question, should I bring her birth certificate along on our November trip, I do not have a ticket for her because she will just have turned 2. I don't want any problems there, but don't necessarily want to carry her bc around everywhere either.Any suggestions?Thank you!!
No, you don't need a birth certificate... you had a really weird CM. We were there today and my 4 year old was in the stroller when we entered MK...as I was scanning the CM goes oh and you can just wheel her through (assuming she didn't have a tix and I just said oh no she has a tix and scanned my other band that I wear on my other arm and scanned my finger - a different one than what I use for my own. I do that all the time with younger ones and never been asked to remove the kid from the stroller or asked them to scan their finger... so odd and honestly pretty rude in my opinion, sorry that happened to you guys.

what on your child's birth certificate proves that it is the certificate for your child other than your word that a CM can see?
Good question! I thought the same thing :) Although I suppose someone would have to go through a lot of hassle to get someone else's birth certificate ( or make a fake.) On top of that, make sure that child is on the resort reservation and in MDE etc. I am sure someone out there would go through all of that hassle! I guess staying off of Disney property you wouldn't have a reservation for them to check though . .......I don't know, I am still just really confused as to why they asked me to take DD out of stroller.

No, you don't need a birth certificate... you had a really weird CM. We were there today and my 4 year old was in the stroller when we entered MK...as I was scanning the CM goes oh and you can just wheel her through (assuming she didn't have a tix and I just said oh no she has a tix and scanned my other band that I wear on my other arm and scanned my finger - a different one than what I use for my own. I do that all the time with younger ones and never been asked to remove the kid from the stroller or asked them to scan their finger... so odd and honestly pretty rude in my opinion, sorry that happened to you guys.
Thank you! It was just really odd honestly. I'm not offended or upset( not that anyone would be) that they asked her age. Her needing to get out of the stroller though, just weird! Now I am wondering if previous poster's idea could have been going on. Maybe a missing child that matches my DD appearance? That would make more sense!

Thank you! It was just really odd honestly. I'm not offended or upset( not that anyone would be) that they asked her age. Her needing to get out of the stroller though, just weird! Now I am wondering if previous poster's idea could have been going on. Maybe a missing child that matches my DD appearance? That would make more sense!
I have had the odd looking family have me slowed down leaving the park one night. I am not black but one night adopted daughter's son, my grandson, who is as black as can be was walking out with me. that trip I had to use an ECV. we were slowed down so much, not stopped but mother came back and yelled as only she could do "any problem Mom" the whole thing changed as CM looked at her and it was like have a good night

Maybe you just had a really thorough CM? Or they've been emphasizing this point in recent trainings?

My daughter was 35 inches or so at 20 months, nobody batted an eye.

this is an interesting point. here, a birth certificate is adequate ID for a kid, but it’s still just a piece of paper.

i guess a photo of her passport would be “better” ID, but if you aren’t international you probably don’t bring a passport to disney? plus even though they have a picture, I think kids passports are sort of weird—we got one for our kiddo before his first disney trip and a year later he looks like a different kid. so a picture doesn’t really add “proof” over picture-free documents.

double plus...OP really shouldn’t have to carry any ID. photo ID or not, it’s all overkill (unless one way makes the OP feel less concerned about being questioned again)

this is an interesting point. here, a birth certificate is adequate ID for a kid, but it’s still just a piece of paper.

i guess a photo of her passport would be “better” ID, but if you aren’t international you probably don’t bring a passport to disney? plus even though they have a picture, I think kids passports are sort of weird—we got one for our kiddo before his first disney trip and a year later he looks like a different kid. so a picture doesn’t really add “proof” over picture-free documents.

double plus...OP really shouldn’t have to carry any ID. photo ID or not, it’s all overkill (unless one way makes the OP feel less concerned about being questioned again)

I guess I could take a pic of passport. DD has one, picture was from 10 months old though.....you can tell it's her......I agree....at this point I think I'm overthinking all of it lol. I'm sure any pic would work.....but as everyone has said (including you) I shouldn't need it. So if asked, I will tell them her age.....IF I run into similar situation though, at least I have the photo! Thanks:)

If you do get stopped unexpectedly or get asked questions unexpectedly, be careful and do not be hasty. You do not want to drop a fragile gift or a food container or a phone while fumbling to get out a copy of a birth certificate or whatever. I have found that setting down things I am carrying directly in front of me is the safest way to avoid forgetting them but you may find another position better. Also I would not just answer the question and not put anything down and volunteer more information.

We have a trip coming this Oct, my daughter just turned 2, and she is almost 36'', I'm hoping she will be tall enough to go on SDD and 7DMT when the trip arrives. I never read anything that WDW asks you bring proof of age for free tix toddlers. I'm also sure this policy is abused by many guest who fumble the kids age to save $500 on a ticket.

The getting out the stroller for the interrogation/inspection would have made me mad. It’s enough commotion to get through the security & ticket lines, etc without all that. But, I’m a little jaded at the moment b/c we just got back from a trip a couple weeks ago where there seemed to constantly be some kind of nonsense like that going on.

its been a while since ours were that young but we took them many many times and were never questioned about their age.. they were not super tall, probably average...

The getting out the stroller for the interrogation/inspection would have made me mad. It’s enough commotion to get through the security & ticket lines, etc without all that. But, I’m a little jaded at the moment b/c we just got back from a trip a couple weeks ago where there seemed to constantly be some kind of nonsense like that going on.
I think we left the week before you may have gotten there! I agree, it seemed to take forever to get into the parks this trip.....even a lot more problems with people's magic bands and finger scan etc. Holding lines up :( it made me remember why I dislike summer trips lol!! If my DH had come along this time he probably would have said something, but I am the most nonconfrontational person.....so I normally just keep my mouth shut.....I guess everything worked out....but I don't think summer trips are in our future again anytime soon! I hope things get a bit more calm before next trip.....but somehow I doubt it! Glad you all had a good trip :)

We were asked several times on our trip with our 2.5 year old. Except they would ask our little chatterbox how old she was. One time she decided to be funny and said "5". The guy looked at me and went "she needs a ticket" He was a kid himself and I just said "she's 2.5 and will be 3 in April." (This was in October) He rolled his eyes but let us go.

Almost certainly the height, that's how tall my DS1 was when he was 2 turning 3 on our first trip. I can see a lot of people fudging the age to get a free ticket at that point. We were never questioned about his age at the park entrances but I think we have have been erroneously charged at buffets (my husband paid and I don't think he paid attention to the bill).

We were asked several times on our trip with our 2.5 year old. Except they would ask our little chatterbox how old she was. One time she decided to be funny and said "5". The guy looked at me and went "she needs a ticket" He was a kid himself and I just said "she's 2.5 and will be 3 in April." (This was in October) He rolled his eyes but let us go.
Wow, I'm really shocked. We've taken many many trips with extended family and many times have had 2 year olds and have never been asked. I'm sorry you had such a rude CM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter