Asked about child's age.

stephk1981

DIS Veteran
We just left WDW :( Had a great trip, but this trip we had CM's ask about my DD1 age four separate times when entering the park. No big deal, she did not have a ticket, I didn't mind at all telling them she is 1. It was really odd though going into MK on our second to last day.....the CM asked me if DD1 could get out of the stroller at magic bands scan. I told him she is 20 months.....just really odd. I got her out of the stroller and he called his supervisor over, asked her a question ( that I couldn't hear.) Then she said....they are fine.....and we were let into the park. DD1 is 36 inches, yes she is very tall, but I found this really odd. My question, should I bring her birth certificate along on our November trip, I do not have a ticket for her because she will just have turned 2. I don't want any problems there, but don't necessarily want to carry her bc around everywhere either.Any suggestions?Thank you!!

Last edited:
All three of my children are tall, and we stressed about this issue, but we were never asked about their age. For my oldest(he's 16 now), the first time we went he we did take his birth certificate because he was so tall, and we were afraid Disney might question it, but they never did.

So we didn't take the certificates for the other two when we went.

Honestly we were more concerned as they got older that Disney would ask if they really qualified for a kids ticket instead of getting the adult ticket. But it has never come up.

I'm curious to see if other families have had your experience.

My advice is if it makes you feel more comfortable bring the certificate, but I would bet you never pull it out.

I wouldn't bring her birth certificate. Just tell them your child's age if you get asked again. If it makes you feel better, take a photo of your child's birth certificate and keep it in your phone just in case. Don't worry too much. Have fun at your next trip to WDW!

I wouldn't bring her birth certificate. Just tell them your child's age if you get asked again. If it makes you feel better, take a photo of your child's birth certificate and keep it in your phone just in case. Don't worry too much. Have fun at your next trip to WDW!
This is a GREAT idea! I was most concerned with losing it on the trip. I think I'm going to do this to have a ' just in case' back up. Thank you!

We have always carried a photocopy of the birth certificate for just this reason. Haven’t been asked yet in 5 visits. but he’s not even 36 inches and he’s almost 3 now. This September and November we may get asked he’ll be very close to 3 then, December birth day.

36 inches is very tall for 20 months!

this is my suggestion too :) i’m canadian and for ID (to order drinks) I have to carry my drivers license plus a picture of my passport. i am sure that a picture of the birth certificate is plenty.

We have always carried a photocopy of the birth certificate for just this reason. Haven’t been asked yet in 5 visits. but he’s not even 36 inches and he’s almost 3 now. This September and November we may get asked he’ll be very close to 3 then, December birth day.

36 inches is very tall for 20 months!
Technically she'll be 21 months in two days lol ! I think the picture of her bc will make me feel better just in case definitely.... don't Know why I didn't think of it :) She is very tall. I'm barely 5'2.... but DH is tall..... My DS10 is already 5'3.... He has passed me up :(

Last edited:

this is my suggestion too :) i’m canadian and for ID (to order drinks) I have to carry my drivers license plus a picture of my passport. i am sure that a picture of the birth certificate is plenty.
I think this will work too, if I need anything at all. I've not carried my i.d. around the parks for so long......( I'm too old to be carded anymore.) That I didn't even consider bringing an i.d. for either of my kids this trip!

Last edited:
I think this will work too, if I need anything at all. I've not carried my i.d. around the parks for so long......( I'm too old to be carded anymore.) That I didn't even consider bringing an i.d. for either of my kids this trip!

yeah, it’s very weird to me that you were asked so many times, and I don’t think you *should* have to bring proof. I would be bringing the picture for my own peace of mind.

We just left WDW :( Had a great trip, but this trip we had CM's ask about my DD1 age four separate times when entering the park. No big deal, she did not have a ticket, I didn't mind at all telling them she is 1. It was really odd though going into MK on our second to last day.....the CM asked me if DD1 could get out of the stroller at magic bands scan. I told him she is 20 months.....just really odd. I got her out of the stroller and he called his supervisor over, asked her a question ( that I couldn't hear.) Then she said....they are fine.....and we were let into the park. DD1 is 36 inches, yes she is very tall, but I found this really odd. My question, should I bring her birth certificate along on our November trip, I do not have a ticket for her because she will just have turned 2. I don't want any problems there, but don't necessarily want to carry her bc around everywhere either.Any suggestions?Thank you!!
Maybe there was an Amber Alert for a similar looking child?

That’s crazy you were asked so many times! We went the week before my son’s 3rd birthday. He was over 38 inches (not sure of his exact height, but was tall enough for SDD and 7DMT). No one ever batted an eye! But yeah, I wouldn’t worry about bringing anything. Just say “She’s 2” and move along.

That’s crazy you were asked so many times! We went the week before my son’s 3rd birthday. He was over 38 inches (not sure of his exact height, but was tall enough for SDD and 7DMT). No one ever batted an eye! But yeah, I wouldn’t worry about bringing anything. Just say “She’s 2” and move along.
Maybe we look suspicious ! Lol:P

It could have been she looked older. When we took our granddaughter she was dressed in a,princess dress and they stopped us and questioned her age. My husband then had to go to Guest relations. No problems, but she did look. "All grown up" and she was not quite 3 years old.

Last edited:
It could have been she looked older. When we took our granddaughter she was dressed in a,princess dress and they stopped us and questioned her age. My husband then had to go to Guest relations. No problems, but she did look. "All grown up" and she was not quite 3 years old.
I'm guessing this was probably the case especially if just guesstimating the height if the child appeared to be on the taller end. Obviously annoying to even have to deal with it much less repeated times but I can understand it. It's likely one of those only so often type situations because I've heard enough people say they've never been asked. I would just error on the side of caution if it were me and bring a birth certificate even if you never had to pull it out the next trip. The OPs daughter is running closer to the average 3 year old (incidentially the age at which you need a ticket).

Hmmm, my DGD is turning 3 during our trip, but she is little. I hope they don't change the rules of your age stops when you check in.

My firiends took their daughter when she was 2 turning 3 whilst there. On her 3rd birthday they decided to buy a ticket as the rest of the party (3 adults and one child) had APs with 5 days left. When they explained why they just needed the one ticket, the cast member gave them a 5 day ticket free of charge

I'm guessing this was probably the case especially if just guesstimating the height if the child appeared to be on the taller end. Obviously annoying to even have to deal with it much less repeated times but I can understand it. It's likely one of those only so often type situations because I've heard enough people say they've never been asked. I would just error on the side of caution if it were me and bring a birth certificate even if you never had to pull it out the next trip. The OPs daughter is running closer to the average 3 year old (incidentially the age at which you need a ticket).
I am guessing it is just the height ...she is as tall as a 3 year old most definitely.......so if asked on November trip, do you think a picture of her birth certificate would work? Or do you think we would actually need a photocopy of the original. I don't want there to be a problem multiple days....DD is in MDE with her birthday on my account.... wouldn't they be able to look that up? Or no, not at park entrance? Thanks!

Last edited:
A photo of her BC is the way to go but you shouldn’t have to prove anything.

They didn’t want to let DD1 in the park once at 2yo (there for her birthday and also very tall) because they questioned her needing a ticket and she was questioned several other times that trip. Just took our 2yo DD2who turned three on the trip and zero questions. It’s really hit or miss.

That's crazy you were asked so many times. We took my almost 3 year old son last year and were never asked. I'm not sure his exact height then but it was over 40'' because he could ride Soarin'

Oh and I wouldn't bring anything to prove it. We did make sure our son knew his age before we went so if they asked he could say he was 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!