Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

I share your concern. We have a WDW trip booked for 2/25-3/6. Seems inevitable that this will hit WDW by then.

I rented DVC, purchased tickets through Undercover Tourist, and didn't purchase flight insurance, so I'm totally screwed. Going to look into purchasing third-party travel insurance if it isn't too late.
Even if you got the cancellation insurance, would you be covered under these circumstances? Unless there is an outright travel ban or and advisory, I think not. We are booked for travel Feb 20-25. I’m thinking our dvc points go into holding, we lose our flight. We have cancellation insurance but I don’t think we are covered for this.

At the risk of sounding crass... I do wonder how the closure of the two Asia parks will affect mainland parks when it comes time for the (typical) annual price increase next month. I've seen some articles already talking about the impact to Disney stock/income.
All travel company stocks are down, oil companies, etc. etc. This will have wide-reaching effects that aren't necessarily predictable. Who knows, maybe people will stay home and buy Disney+? I don't think you're being crass, either. Although we don't have plans to go to WDW, I am planning to buy stocks. I'm not dancing on anyone's grave, either. We are all right in assessing what this means for our own families.
What I don't understand is how they even had a question about the possibility of human transmission... They "claim" the source was a meat market (see Washington Post article above). If true, then how were they proposing to explain the cases in people who didn't have any contact with that market, didn't eat the meat etc... ?? It's been obvious this spreads person to person from pretty much day one, and anyone should have been able to see that this was going to happen. 5 million residents left the city before travel bans were put in place...
There's often a lot of confusion at the start of an epidemic, and the Chinese public health system is not nearly as sophisticated as ours. There is also huge pressure to maintain face for the government. These two things must lead global authorities (and us) to take absolutely everything they say with a grain of salt. For instance, they say they've isolated Wuhan. Well, there are flights in and out of there to other cities in China. The only cancelled flights are to/from other countries. Greater minds than mine have spent decades trying to figure out what's really going on over there. But the data in OTHER countries is starting to come in and that will help a lot.

I think @DisneynBison has the right approach. We don't know what's going to happen. The thing is to be sensible. I've lived through other panics before (with travel plans) such as 9/11, SARS, hurricanes, volcanic eruptions (yes- the Icelandic one I can't pronounce) and the economic crash in 2008. I've learned some expensive lessons- canceled trips I shouldn't have. Playing a guessing game is fruitless. This is what I have learned to do- take precautions, know my options, and stick to my plans- if the real situation changes, I try to be ready to accommodate it. Other people might want to be more conservative about it so they can sleep at night, and that's okay, too.

Last edited:

Now, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I normally laugh at them quite honestly. And heaven knows they have been having a hayday since this started, especially the vaccine folk, starting almost from day one claiming this is all just a media blow up so they can push a new vaccine, that vaccine stocks were ballooning etc... I rolled my eyes. And yet...look what has now shown up in mainstream news:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jan/26/coronavirus-link-china-biowarfare-program-possible/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/6466954/coronavirus-outbreak-vaccine-research/amp/
They expect to be doing animal trials within 8 weeks, human trials within 16 weeks.

So, basically more conspiracy theories.

First of all, it is well known that China has a bioweapons program. Almost all developed, militarily powerful countries do. We have one too.

Second, the guy interviewed is a FORMER intelligence analyst. Former. As in, he has no idea what's happening now, because the people who CURRENTLY hold clearances to know that type of information are not allowed to share it with anyone who also doesn't have the proper clearance. His information is as outdated as the last year he had access to intelligence.

Is it possible this is a lab developed virus that escaped somehow? Sure. Is it likely that China would purposely release it on it's own people? No. Is it likely that it's all being done to "sell more vaccines." Absolutely not.

However, it is in no way suspicious that China may be developing propaganda to blame the US in some way for this. That's par for the course for them.

The current best guess is that the virus originated in snakes sold at a Wet Market in Wuhan. Wet markets are a crazy thing, and really should not exist at all. They are unsanitary, filthy, and the root of much illness.

So, basically more conspiracy theories.

First of all, it is well known that China has a bioweapons program. Almost all developed, militarily powerful countries do. We have one too.

Second, the guy interviewed is a FORMER intelligence analyst. Former. As in, he has no idea what's happening now, because the people who CURRENTLY hold clearances to know that type of information are not allowed to share it with anyone who also doesn't have the proper clearance. His information is as outdated as the last year he had access to intelligence.

Is it possible this is a lab developed virus that escaped somehow? Sure. Is it likely that China would purposely release it on it's own people? No. Is it likely that it's all being done to "sell more vaccines." Absolutely not.

However, it is in no way suspicious that China may be developing propaganda to blame the US in some way for this. That's par for the course for them.

The current best guess is that the virus originated in snakes sold at a Wet Market in Wuhan. Wet markets are a crazy thing, and really should not exist at all. They are unsanitary, filthy, and the root of much illness.

I don't think either article reads as a conspiracy theory, more just putting it out there that it's possible this was the result of a lab screw up (even without current clearance, he still has far more inside knowledge than you or I ever will) and that they're pushing to get this vaccine out.

My point in my post was that these articles, which are from very legitimate, main stream sites, are touching on what the conspiracy theorists have been saying from day one. Now, obviously, they're taking things even farther (that this whole thing was fabricated to push the vaccines)... but, with these there's now just enough truth mixed in, to fuel their fire. Add in that there are some unanswered questions about the presumed (but not proven) link to the wet markets, some other coincidentals, and it's easy to see where it could give one pause - and of course, for the theorists, more fuel.

One piece of evidence against such theories is that Chinese scientists put online the genetic sequence of the virus as soon as they had it. If they wanted to corner the market on vaccines, this would not have been done. Now everyone can start working on a vaccine. Press reports there indicate they can have one in three months- well, that's exactly what Dr. Fauci of the NIH said today about our capacities. Then there is testing and production taking about three months more.

So six months to a publicly-available vaccine- if it's even necessary. Fauci pointed out that we had one ready to go for SARS but did not manufacture it because the epidemic ended. A vaccine in 6 months will help the rest of the world greatly- China, not so much.

The chair of the department. Holy cow. That's sad.

A similar thing just happened in Canada, too, in a Level 4 Pathogen lab. What a Chinese national is even doing in a Level 4 lab is beyond me......
The first article has nothing to do with what is going on.

The Canada incident is not similar to the Harvard incident. Totally two different disciplines.

I will defer to anyone here with more knowledge about how foreign nationals are vetted and granted access to a Level 4 Pathogen lab. Just a guess, each country has their own vetting process.

The first article has nothing to do with what is going on.

The Canada incident is not similar to the Harvard incident. Totally two different disciplines.

I will defer to anyone here with more knowledge about how foreign nationals are vetted and granted access to a Level 4 Pathogen lab. Just a guess, each country has their own vetting process.
We didn't say that it had anything to do with the corovavirus, in fact @Brianstl pointed out that it probably didn't. And the cases are similar in that there is a major ongoing international concern about undue influence and IP theft from Chinese nationals, of which the concerns surrounding Huawei are perhaps the highest-profile example.

Either way, the vetting process evidently failed. It's reasonable to question it, even by the unwashed masses like us.

Last edited:
Question: Is Disney still having everyone TOUCH the Finger Scanner to enter the parks at Disneyworld and Disneyland !!!
How else would they tie the band to the person? Manual entry by checking IDs takes too long for those prime time queues. Until there is reason for it to change, not just fear, it won't.

How else would they tie the band to the person? Manual entry by checking IDs takes too long for those prime time queues. Until there is reason for it to change, not just fear, it won't.
First of all, is is a Fact that the U.S. now has confirmed cases within our borders... and I cannot think of a faster way to spread it widely in a single day than having thousands of people touch the same scanner after an infected person. (It is the exact reason Disney had to close the two parks in China). Some people would take advantage of not having to match their finger to the bands, but seriously, Disney cannot put collecting every last dime ahead of Public Safety.

First of all, is is a Fact that the U.S. now has confirmed cases within our borders... and I cannot think of a faster way to spread it widely in a single day than having thousands of people touch the same scanner after an infected person. (It is the exact reason Disney had to close the two parks in China). Some people would take advantage of not having to match their finger to the bands, but seriously, Disney cannot put collecting every last dime ahead of Public Safety.
You touch hundreds of seats, buckles, handrails etc in a daily trip to WDW. A finger scan is not going to make much difference. Wash your hands, don’t touch your face, or don’t go to WDW.

In the U.S., the flu is still a much bigger Public Safety Risk. Has been for years. Disney hasn't stopped the fingerprint scan for the flu, they aren't stopping it for this. Not at this stage. Besides, what about the hundreds of thousands of other things you will touch in the park? Eliminating the fingerprint would not be particularly effective given chairs, benches, buckles, ride seats, railings, gift shops, door handles, sinks and hundreds if not thousands of other things.

Last edited:
You touch hundreds of seats, buckles, handrails etc in a daily trip to WDW. A finger scan is not going to make much difference. Wash your hands, don’t touch your face, or don’t go to WDW.

A few trips ago I saw this a very small child sucking on the handrails outside Spaceship Earth! :crazy2: It's just one of those moments when you realize that nothing is really that clean. Certainly that's gross, but honestly that's what our immune systems are for. One should just be careful, wash your hands, etc. and use extra caution for those more susceptible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter