• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Are you a Patreon of any content creator?

It is like a sponsorship, in exchange for it you get access to content that is not on the public channel.
It differs per creator what extras they offer.

The bolded exactly. I'm not a patreon but I know of three professional painting instructors who each have a massive following on YouTube, with their own corresponding private Facebook groups and their own more advanced and expert Patreon level teaching videos.

Several years ago, YouTube/Google invited these instructors to a week-long seminar to teach them how to monetize their YouTube content more successfully. They each had about 15-20 videos put out on their channel, sporatically over a few years, no corresponding Facebook groups yet. After the seminar, their YouTube channels, Facebook groups they started and advanced Patreon content has grown considerably as they invested in and upgraded their equipment and added weekly paint-along sessions. (Sometimes two a week.) They started near the beginning of the "paint parties" trend with people going to art studios to attend an evening "paint and wine" workshop and going home with a completed painting in a matter of hours.

After the YouTube seminar, their channels really took off and helped popularize at-home paint parties with much more sophisticated subjects to paint, top-notch instruction, better close-up videos and lighting, and companion Facebook groups which help with questions, problem-solving, and community support and sharing of paintings. (It was also much needed when people were stuck home isolating during the pandemic.) I think they each have now over 200+ videos now on their free YouTube channels. And their Patreon paintings are probably another 100 paintings(?) They do show what's available at the Patreon level.

These three instructors (there are others since,) have helped make MANY fledgling level painters into expert level painters who now paint and sell their own paintings, even though they've never met these painting instructors in person.

These three instructors put in extensive time and work making their videos great and showing up to problem-solve on their FB groups. Each of their spouses also put in a lot of time and work to assist them, often manning the cameras & tech equipment for their LIVE paint-alongs and each have become famous themselves on the YouTube videos as the "Ed McMahon" to their painting spouses.

I watch the free content to see what new materials and equipment they use (along with corresponding monetized Amazon links to buy - which they do disclose is monetized and helps support them,) and new techniques, along with what painting subjects are trending. And I like to see how they teach a tricky technique or concept. I definitely get inspiration from them. I can see how their Patreon content is of incredible value.

I don't think you have to learn from YouTube videos to want to help the creator by being a Patreon. I enjoy a few ASMR artists -- I absolutely need background noise to fall asleep. There is one artist in particular who puts enormous dedication into her videos. They are so detailed, way beyond someone just sitting in front of a microphone whispering. Viewers realize the added props, backgrounds, and camera angles is an added expense, so they help contribute to something that in turns helps them.

Of course many videos are total nonsense (if you have a tween/teen in your house you know all too well) that personally I wouldn't give one dime to. However, who am I to judge someone for spending their money on what they want?

I just see no reason to laugh at the OP's question.

There are a few travel related youtubers I have considered contributing to. Haven't taken the plunge yet though.

Also, yes, I have a 5 year old and 2 teens. So. Much. Junk. Why are we watching adults playing with toys reenacting scenes from the Cars movies. JUST WATCH CARS!!!!!

I support two -- Humans of New York and my favorite musician, Will Kimbrough. Will is prolific on Patreon - new songs, blogs, etc. multiple times a week. I started using Patreon during the pandemic when artists, in particular, were struggling. It's a small way to support people creating content that makes my life richer.

I follow the WellRed podcast and Zach Cohen on Patreon and also a few writers on Substack. It's cheap and I enjoy their content.

My DD started a parteon for her YouTube (booktube) channel this summer. It's going great and she's paying her way through engineering grad school with it. So nice to see people supporting creative content.

Patreon no. I'm a Disney Dish subscriber at bandcamp but that is the only optional payment I make to anyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter