Are you a Patreon of any content creator?

GentleWhispering is the only one who still makes videos that I consistently watch. She's my all time favorite. I also really like ASMR Nova Star but she hasn't made videos in a while, but I still go back to them. I'm also very picky.

I will have to try Nova Star. Thanks!

Give Latte a try. She doesn’t post often (typically once a month) but when you watch her more recent videos you’ll know why it takes that long. (Piercing Cafe is highly detailed!)

I will have to try Nova Star. Thanks!

Give Latte a try. She doesn’t post often (typically once a month) but when you watch her more recent videos you’ll know why it takes that long. (Piercing Cafe is highly detailed!)

I actually usually like the older/lo-fi stuff rather than the new high tech, super edited ones personally. I'll definitely check her out though!

I thought about some, like Lindsay Ellis, i appreciate her content, I would like for her to keep making content, so it is an option.

Oh! Is she still doing videos? I used to watch her Nostalgia Chick videos all the time years ago.

I support another Disney content creator and for their lowest level tier you have access to all kinds of disney-related audio. I really enjoyed hearing the queue music for The Jungle Cruise. So much I missed because of all the people talking in line!

Oh! Is she still doing videos? I used to watch her Nostalgia Chick videos all the time years ago.

I support another Disney content creator and for their lowest level tier you have access to all kinds of disney-related audio. I really enjoyed hearing the queue music for The Jungle Cruise. So much I missed because of all the people talking in line!
Yes, she does, and I really like it. She does very indepth and long videos. She doesn't publish a lot on her own channel anymore as she works for PBS now, but recently she did a video on Titanic. She is very good at explaining her opinion and how some things work in movie (or musical).
Her own channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/chezapoctube
PBS: https://www.youtube.com/c/pbsstoried/featured

Until recently she had re-uploaded all her old Nostalgia Chick videos here, but I guess something happened as all the videos have been put to private:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLdcgni1mCq1OxUE3HIL8QQ

Last edited:
You pay money to watch YouTube videos? What exactly are you learning from these videos?
Actually I have a YouTube Premium subscription so I can watch advertisement free.

I am not paying the creator for free videos on YouTube, I am paying so more videos can be made. I get extra content through Patreon and I get to ask questions and have them answered by the creator and others through the ******* server.

I watch them and that’s enough. I also have a puppy Almost 1. she behaves when the tv is on when it’s only the dogs at home. So I put it on you tube. Let them make a little money. 1000 views is like 7 dollars depending on the ads of course and how long people watch the ad. . Every bit helps.

I was a patron for The Neverland Family. We used to get a live Patron only chat once a month, and a weekly update. Then no live shows, then no weekly updates. Then no content what so ever for months, but still kept their patreon page open. So I left after 3 months of no updates. I didnt feel like I was owed anything, but a "Hey we arent going to do this anymore" would have been nice. I hope everything is ok with them. I hope nothing bad happened and maybe thats why they stopped.

I have occasionally been tempted to become a patreon member for podcasts that I really enjoy. I listen to a ton of them. The only one that I have supported in that way was to become a "Fan Cult Member" of My Favorite Murder. I listened to those two ladies from the very, very beginning...and right from the jump knew it was something special. Not the first episode...but the second one. I don't even know how I found them, bu they really took off from there. I've followed them ever since and was planning on going to a show with my sister (who is also a fan)....but they never released their 2020 fall dates due to the pandemic. I've always been fascinated by True Crime like I'm sure many of us have....but their podcast is so much more than that. I'm thrilled for their success...and have found so many other comedians and content creators by listening to their show. They're two Bad-A** women for sure. The only other way I've contributed it to give to PBS...to support This American Life...which is really the best of the best. And I suppose I support The Daily, the Post podcast and the Wall Street Journal podcast as a subscriber to those papers.

I just find podcasts to be so amazing when they're well done. I loved West Cork on Audible....but then we tried to watch a Netflix show about the same story and I told my husband after one episode that it's not worth our time. It was just not well done at all.

Never heard of the term 'patreon', as I was reading the above posts, I thought maybe it was a typo of 'patron' from the OP..........but guess not. Do I pay anyone online to watch their content.............ummmm no.

Yes, in the past for Amanda Palmer for a couple months to get early release tickets to a Dresden Dolls concert. Now I'm wanting to sign up--just for a couple months, for Pailin Chongchitnant's channel since I've learned so much about Thai cooking from her.

Never heard of the term 'patreon', as I was reading the above posts, I thought maybe it was a typo of 'patron' from the OP..........but guess not. Do I pay anyone online to watch their content.............ummmm no.

It's not a term, exactly; it's a trademarked website name; thus the deliberate mis-spelling.

Patreon is a hosting platform for video content that allows members of the public to become paid patrons of member content creators. Essentially, crowdsourcing an income for them so they can do it full-time, or better afford the expenses involved in doing it. The platform isn't based on making money off page views, it's a direct donation income source (and the website takes a percentage for managing the payments. As of last month it was 2.9% + $0.30 for donations over $3. 5% + $0.10 for donations of $3 or less.) Most of these folks also post content to YouTube & Instagram, but restrict some of it only to those who donate -- because that drives donations.

I know a lot of people who support one particular creator because he films unusually compelling videos of an obscure sport that our children participate in. Without the donations he would not be able to afford to spend so much time & money travelling around the world to film these athletes. However, he has recently been discovered by the big cable and broadcast sports divisions, so he probably won't need to support himself via donations for much longer.

Last edited:
I don't follow social media but apparently that is a trendy thing now to purposely mis-spell certain words. Guess I don't spend as much time glued to my PC as others................LOL. Have used some free youtube videos that were helpful on home repair items.

Nope. The only person that I really follow/watch on youtube doesn’t do patreon or other forms of donation. He has pretty much said he is anti taking money directly from his viewers and makes enough simply from views.

I've been tempted but so far I haven't contributed. There's some great YouTube channels out there that seem to bring in many Patreon subscribers. Not sure if they also make a decent amount of money simply based on monetized content as well.

I have occasionally been tempted to become a patreon member for podcasts that I really enjoy. I listen to a ton of them. The only one that I have supported in that way was to become a "Fan Cult Member" of My Favorite Murder.
Love that one! I learned about it through Dana Gould's podcast. It's been awhile since I've listened to podcasts, I want to say Karen Kilgariff guests on Gould's podcast, and vice versa.

I've been tempted but so far I haven't contributed. There's some great YouTube channels out there that seem to bring in many Patreon subscribers. Not sure if they also make a decent amount of money simply based on monetized content as well.

Love that one! I learned about it through Dana Gould's podcast. It's been awhile since I've listened to podcasts, I want to say Karen Kilgariff guests on Gould's podcast, and vice versa.

I'm not sure if she guests on Dana's podcast, but her other "regular" podcast is "Do you need a ride?" with Chris Fairbanks.....who is also hysterical. That show has now been added to the network that Kilgariff and Hardstark created...."Exactly Right Podcast Network".

It's been a lot of fun listening to those two women who were both at a crossroads professionally when they started My Favorite Murder. It was so genuine...and so good that it just took off. It's been cool to see how successful it's become and how much their lives have changed as a result. They took this summer off....first time in five years, and so I look forward to when they're back in the fall with new episodes.

I don't follow social media but apparently that is a trendy thing now to purposely mis-spell certain words. Guess I don't spend as much time glued to my PC as others................LOL. Have used some free youtube videos that were helpful on home repair items.

It's not a trendy thing, it's a legal thing. On it's own, without artwork, you cannot trademark a common word in any language, but you can trademark a unique name.

You can also sell your digital products on Patreon , not only buy it. Lots of people make their living these days by selling their digital products online on the different platforms https://www.macgasm.net/news/reviews/best-platforms-to-sell-digital-products/. If you have your book, you can sell electronic version of it. If you are a graphics designer you can sell your products too. Many young people work as a freelancer these days and don't want to be stuck in the office whole day long.

Last edited:
It is like a sponsorship, in exchange for it you get access to content that is not on the public channel.
It differs per creator what extras they offer.

The bolded exactly. I'm not a patreon but I know of three professional painting instructors who each have a massive following on YouTube, with their own corresponding private Facebook groups and their own more advanced and expert Patreon level teaching videos.

Several years ago, YouTube/Google invited these instructors to a week-long seminar to teach them how to monetize their YouTube content more successfully. They each had about 15-20 videos put out on their channel, sporatically over a few years, no corresponding Facebook groups yet. After the seminar, their YouTube channels, Facebook groups they started and advanced Patreon content has grown considerably as they invested in and upgraded their equipment and added weekly paint-along sessions. (Sometimes two a week.) They started near the beginning of the "paint parties" trend with people going to art studios to attend an evening "paint and wine" workshop and going home with a completed painting in a matter of hours.

After the YouTube seminar, their channels really took off and helped popularize at-home paint parties with much more sophisticated subjects to paint, top-notch instruction, better close-up videos and lighting, and companion Facebook groups which help with questions, problem-solving, and community support and sharing of paintings. (It was also much needed when people were stuck home isolating during the pandemic.) I think they each have now over 200+ videos now on their free YouTube channels. And their Patreon paintings are probably another 100 paintings(?) They do show what's available at the Patreon level.

These three instructors (there are others since,) have helped make MANY fledgling level painters into expert level painters who now paint and sell their own paintings, even though they've never met these painting instructors in person.

These three instructors put in extensive time and work making their videos great and showing up to problem-solve on their FB groups. Each of their spouses also put in a lot of time and work to assist them, often manning the cameras & tech equipment for their LIVE paint-alongs and each have become famous themselves on the YouTube videos as the "Ed McMahon" to their painting spouses.

I watch the free content to see what new materials and equipment they use (along with corresponding monetized Amazon links to buy - which they do disclose is monetized and helps support them,) and new techniques, along with what painting subjects are trending. And I like to see how they teach a tricky technique or concept. I definitely get inspiration from them. I can see how their Patreon content is of incredible value.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter