Are Disney parks no longer for the Middle class?

Too each his own I guess. Its worth it to me to save throughout the year and have a fun vacation but if it isn't to other people then its no skin off my back.

This is how I feel. We save for all vacations not just Disney. We don't like debt. Some people have different priorities and that's whatever.

Stop buying clothes. Turn off the heat and use warm blankets. Shower once a week to save on water. Shave your head to save on haircuts. Drink water and fast two days a week. Are you seeing where this is going? It’s insane. It’s just too expensive right now for the median income family. And I’m expecting prices to go up again this year.
Yup, as someone not at the high end of middle class, I only buy clothes when my clothes get holes or stains and they move to work clothes. That amounts to about $100 every 2 or 3 years.

I already have the heat turned way down at night and during the day since I'm only home and awake about 4 hours.

Save on haircuts? I haven't gotten a haircut in 20 years. Wife did it when I was married, and now it's just a No. 1 with the shaver.

Drink water, I drink more water a day than most probably drink in 3. I don't drink much else than water except for my home brewed iced tea that is my morning coffee.

Shower once a week, I don't pay for water, it's included in the rent.

I do love all the rich people that tell me what I can cut out of my lower salary as if I don't already not do those things because I can't afford all this stuff anyways let alone how easy it is to make cuts and go on a $5000 vacation.

Yup, as someone not at the high end of middle class, I only buy clothes when my clothes get holes or stains and they move to work clothes. That amounts to about $100 every 2 or 3 years.

I already have the heat turned way down at night and during the day since I'm only home and awake about 4 hours.

Save on haircuts? I haven't gotten a haircut in 20 years. Wife did it when I was married, and now it's just a No. 1 with the shaver.

Drink water, I drink more water a day than most probably drink in 3. I don't drink much else than water except for my home brewed iced tea that is my morning coffee.

I do love all the rich people that tell me what I can cut out of my lower salary as if I don't already not do those things because I can't afford all this stuff anyways let alone how easy it is to make cuts and go on a $5000 vacation.

Im far from rich but my daughter and I went 2 weeks ago. We stayed at the All Star Sports for 3 nights at $85 a night My point was if you look for deals and read some blogs and look for tips there are ways to save a lot of money.

Im far from rich but my daughter and I went 2 weeks ago. We stayed at the All Star Sports for 3 nights at $85 a night My point was if you look for deals and read some blogs and look for tips there are ways to save a lot of money.
Not really worth the 2200 miles just for a 3 day trip. Your 3 day trip for $255 would be $500 plus a full day's travel to and from if I want to drive for 19 hours straight (it wasn't fun when we decided just to drive straight through home.) Plus on top of that, you have 3-5 days of eating which is almost as bad as the cost of the parks.

I also don't view 3 days as a vacation. Vacation is taking the week off and going somewhere for a week. 3 days is a weekend. I view that as a big difference.

Also there are limitations when you have kids. My kids are still in school, so it's summer vacations for me.

Speaking of eating, I went in the beginning of June in 2010. Our trip for 5 nights/6 days with last day as useless since that is travel day was under $2100. Same trip today, the dining plan alone would be almost $1900.

Wage struggles and WDW increases feel like 2 different conversations. Except for people who were already doing WDW at the lowest possible cost (off-site, 1 day ticket, pack your own food), there are still cost cutting options by down-grading a trip or going less often. Not pretty, but possible.

There's a lot of dysfunction happening in the US currently, dismal wages are definitely one cause. But the people who cannot afford WDW in 2020 likely couldn't afford it in 2010 or 2015 either, before WDW prices increased at an insane rate. Those who have been able to afford the time/money for WDW still can by making reductions in their trip. It's not exactly being priced out, more like priced into a lower experience.

It stings but personally we have found recourse. We've decided to go less often and tack on days. First, that cuts travel costs in half. Whatever a 5 day trip cost us, a similar 8 day trip costs us about 1.5x. If on average we took a 5 day trip every 10 months, now we can use the same budget to go 8 days every 18 months. Or we could go for 5 days every 10 months but trim out TS meals & hoppers, stay offsite, etc., which doesn't interest us. We're just 1 example but cuts on frequency, resort, food or tickets can be made from any previous trip style to remain within a budget.

But... how far does WDW expect they can continue? Nobody wants to keep paying more for less. The quality must be maintained, at the minimum. Cost definitely correlates to guest satisfaction. GR gets more complaints at increased rates. Think of a dessert party, was $50 now the same is $99. If something went wrong (depending how serious), a guest might let it go at $50pp (2016). At $100 (2020), they're much more likely to give GR an earful. And that goes for EVERYTHING, lol. I think we're nearing the point where further price increases could actually lose profits from increased compensations at Guest Relations &/or Guest Satisfaction plummeting. Who knows though?

Wage struggles and WDW increases feel like 2 different conversations. Except for people who were already doing WDW at the lowest possible cost (off-site, 1 day ticket, pack your own food), there are still cost cutting options by down-grading a trip or going less often. Not pretty, but possible.

There's a lot of dysfunction happening in the US currently, dismal wages are definitely one cause. But the people who cannot afford WDW in 2020 likely couldn't afford it in 2010 or 2015 either, before WDW prices increased at an insane rate. Those who have been able to afford the time/money for WDW still can by making reductions in their trip. It's not exactly being priced out, more like priced into a lower experience.

It stings but personally we have found recourse. We've decided to go less often and tack on days. First, that cuts travel costs in half. Whatever a 5 day trip cost us, a similar 8 day trip costs us about 1.5x. If on average we took a 5 day trip every 10 months, now we can use the same budget to go 8 days every 18 months. Or we could go for 5 days every 10 months but trim out TS meals & hoppers, stay offsite, etc., which doesn't interest us. We're just 1 example but cuts on frequency, resort, food or tickets can be made from any previous trip style to remain within a budget.

But... how far does WDW expect they can continue? Nobody wants to keep paying more for less. The quality must be maintained, at the minimum. Cost definitely correlates to guest satisfaction. GR gets more complaints at increased rates. Think of a dessert party, was $50 now the same is $99. If something went wrong (depending how serious), a guest might let it go at $50pp (2016). At $100 (2020), they're much more likely to give GR an earful. And that goes for EVERYTHING, lol. I think we're nearing the point where further price increases could actually lose profits from increased compensations at Guest Relations &/or Guest Satisfaction plummeting. Who knows though?

My theme park strategy is to go when new stuff opens. I’ve been waiting on GE to be finished in DL for a while now. I might go for a weekend this year. But I haven’t booked anything yet. I’m worried about the crowds.

The problem is that crowds are out of control. I went to Universal last year to ride Hagrid’s and failed. The line was just too long. Instead we rode Gringotts 5x. My SOs favorite ride.

I might just have to wait for the recession to go back. They’re less fun when super busy.

I am all about being frugal, but I prefer to shower once a DAY.

Too each his own I guess. Its worth it to me to save throughout the year and have a fun vacation but if it isn't to other people then its no skin off my back.

And that is fine. Has nothing to do with it actually being "affordable". You are willing to make big sacrifices to save. Great. I was just never willing to feed my family spam sandwiches because we didn't have time to cook and refused to pick up take out because, ya know, Disney. BUT, we do have a vacation savings and we are able to have some really wonderful vacations for less than what a few days cost at Disney.

For me, not having maid services and eating bologna sandwiches for lunch is not a nice or a fun vacation. I would much prefer to "live it up" somewhere else for less.

I am all about being frugal, but I prefer to shower once a DAY.
That harkens back to the Ultimate Cheapskate-style shows if you know what I mean.

If you're doing what the other poster is talking about or feeling like you're actually being nickel and dimed to death in your own daily life vacationing is probably the least of your concerns realistically speaking.

That harkens back to the Ultimate Cheapskate-style shows if you know what I mean.

If you're doing what the other poster is talking about or feeling like you're actually being nickel and dimed to death in your own daily life vacationing is probably the least of your concerns realistically speaking.

But it’s Disney. There is so much FOMO attached to Disney vacations. If I don’t go this year, my kids will miss out on being princesses. It’s mind blowing.

True story.
We thought the prices increases would've sunk attendance at least :( Nope, the parks are still mobbed.

Paying a lot of money to get herded like cattle always make me question going to theme parks. The after parties used to be a way to avoid crowds. Now they’re over sold.

The more I think about it. The more waiting makes more sense.

I wouldn’t even think about going to WDW until EPCOT is redone.

I will never forget the episode with the guy putting slivers of soap bars into a nylon stocking to keep them going.

I think there is an awful lot of hyperbole in this thread. You can be a saver, still enjoy daily life AND have a good vacation. Life is all about balance.

I will never forget the episode with the guy putting slivers of soap bars into a nylon stocking to keep them going.

I think there is an awful lot of hyperbole in this thread. You can be a saver, still enjoy daily life AND have a good vacation. Life is all about balance.
I believe we've already hashed out the "what do you do with the remaining slivers of soap" topic here a year or so ago, LOL. Majority consensus was, stick it to the new bar of soap.

The price increases just haven't reached the limits of credit yet.

Saw an article today about credit card companies increasing customer limits. We are a long way from massive defaulting. Credit is flowing as long as you’re not on the fringes.

True story.
We thought the prices increases would've sunk attendance at least :( Nope, the parks are still mobbed.
Disney created the overcrowding by reducing park hours & adding on countless extra paid events. Disney can claim that they raised prices to reduce crowds all they want but if they really wanted guests to have a better experience they would have cut at least half of the paid extra’s when they raised all the prices so dramatically and kept the parks open longer to spread out the crowds.

yes. We would all still be complaining on how expensive it has gotten but at least we would have a better experience while we were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter