Are Disney parks no longer for the Middle class?

Well, how are you defining middle class? The income for middle class varies quite a bit across the country. Even for people with similar incomes in the same area, families can have very different priorities for how they spend their money. One may opt for a small home and older cars so they can have money for a family trip like Disney. Others may want a bigger house and new cars and struggle to pay their bills and therefore Disney is out of reach. Even for those that decide to go, some will splurge for an onsite stay with all of the bells and whistles while others stay offsite and use creative ways to save and still enjoy the experience. I don't think it's accurate to say that Disney parks are not for the middle class. I just think they are for families that make it a priority in their budget to do that kind of travel.

Last edited:
Previous poster sums it up. Some middle class families can afford it because they don’t over spend. While others who try to keep up with the Jones are always too far behind to save up 4K for a week long Disney trip. Plus those who have to fly obviously have a much greater overall cost than those who can drive.

Last edited:

I think people spend their money on what is important to them and I think just about anyone can go to Disney if they plan it. No, not everyone can afford to stay at the Grand Californian or the Polynesian for 10 days every year, but there are many other nice alternatives that can save people money. I think if you plan it, you can make it happen on some level.

i consider us pretty solidly middle class. Usually in a year we do a couple 7-8 day holidays and like a long weekend (4 days). So far (we went to Disney for the first time the December before last and we already have two trips in the bag and another planned for this November) they fit pretty well in as one of the week long holidays. We can't go all out. I feel like we're sort of midlevel vacationers, but I feel that way in New York or Paris. There's always going to be lavish stuff you can't afford, but we're sort of blessed that there's also a lot of scrimpy stuff we did when we were younger that we don't do any more.

Depends on where you live. I know people who live in a campground (and not in a fancy RV and not by choice) and have annual passes. All Florida residents can afford Disney. I personally wouldn't make APs a priority if I lived in a campground because I was homeless, but not my business. Just saying that's how affordable it is here.

i consider us pretty solidly middle class. Usually in a year we do a couple 7-8 day holidays and like a long weekend (4 days). So far (we went to Disney for the first time the December before last and we already have two trips in the bag and another planned for this November) they fit pretty well in as one of the week long holidays. We can't go all out. I feel like we're sort of midlevel vacationers, but I feel that way in New York or Paris. There's always going to be lavish stuff you can't afford, but we're sort of blessed that there's also a lot of scrimpy stuff we did when we were younger that we don't do any more.

I think just the phrase "middle class" is probably too vague. That is because my definition of middle class is people whose family income is between 40K and 75K a year. Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't see someone making 75K being able to afford multiple long vacations plus a few short ones every year, but people's experiences are always different I suppose.

As for Disney, I think that someone making between 40K and 75K a year can still afford Disney - maybe not in the same way that a lot of people on these boards do Disney, but they could still go and have a great trip.

I think just the phrase "middle class" is probably too vague. That is because my definition of middle class is people whose family income is between 40K and 75K a year. Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't see someone making 75K being able to afford multiple long vacations plus a few short ones every year, but people's experiences are always different I suppose.

As for Disney, I think that someone making between 40K and 75K a year can still afford Disney - maybe not in the same way that a lot of people on these boards do Disney, but they could still go and have a great trip.
Pew puts the middle class as 45k-140k (plus you have to make 150k for Pew to consider you high income). We're well within their range but do make more than 75k as a household. On the other hand we do not have children and would doubtless have very different lives (and disposable income) if we did. I often wonder how people with families manage it all...

Pew puts the middle class as 45k-140k (plus you have to make 150k for Pew to consider you high income). We're well within their range but do make more than 75k as a household. On the other hand we do not have children and would doubtless have very different lives (and disposable income) if we did. I often wonder how people with families manage it all...

It’s so situational. $150k wouldn’t allow people anywhere near the life in San Fran it would in Nashville or certainly the life in rural communities.

It’s so situational. $150k wouldn’t allow people anywhere near the life in San Fran it would in Nashville or certainly the life in rural communities.

Sanfran is the most extreme example in the country but your point is correct. Its definitely about where you live. A 20 minute move for us and we could buy a house for 500k that is 900k-1million in our current area(and no we dont have one that costs that much : ) ).

https://www.businessinsider.com/middle-class-income-us-city-san-francisco-2018-2

Last edited:
Sanfran is the most extreme example in the country but your point is correct. Its definitely about where you live. A 20 minute move for is and we could buy a house for 500k that is 900k-1million in our current area(and no we dont have one that costs that much : ) ).

https://www.businessinsider.com/middle-class-income-us-city-san-francisco-2018-2

I always think that those hard numbers like $150k makes you upper class are weird and not too useful (although better than nothing?). There’s no context at all. I think income by county and who has the best cost of living vs. average salary would be a better guide.

Honestly, I just wish the parks were less crowded, I might be able to convince dh that the value was still there.

And I totally hear you on the moving and cost of living. We don’t live in the highest col place but I have no idea how families do it in even more expensive places.

In my area, 75K is the break-even level for a family of 2 working adults and 2 children. These are people living pay check to pay check. There is probably no Disney for them unless one of the adults is working a second job for vacation dollars.

Absolutely...too much so IMHO. It's making the formerly unique WDW experience into a much more generic one. Every hotel has white linens and every restaurant serves chicken nuggets and the lines...
:confused: I'm not sure I understand your comments. It sounds like you're saying the experience has been dumbed-down to appeal to the masses, making it more middle-class pedestrian, not that I think colored linens are the exclusive domain of the elite...

:confused: I'm not sure I understand your comments. It sounds like you're saying the experience has been dumbed-down to appeal to the masses, making it more middle-class pedestrian, not that I think colored linens are the exclusive domain of the elite...

I'm just salty today and adjusting to a new med which causes dizziness, inability to operate machinery/drive, etc. which may have meant "don't Dis." The post wasn't a clear thought. I was really thinking of how WDW seems to only be catering to the middle class and making decisions that will offend no one like making all the hotels and restaurants so much more homogenous. I wasn't trying to be snotty; just annoyed because I feel like WDW went from having a really varied offering to less and less unique offerings. It's not even really dumbed down, it's just all the SAME. I think it was great when WDW had true budget (have you seen their rates at values?) options and luxury-ish options. Now it seems like WDW just wants to give you the same option at the same price; takes away some of the specialness of the resort overall for me:( But, their decision must be correct in the market as they have larger and larger crowds.

FTR, I'm very firmly in the white linen party, so I'm part of the problem for sure. If I was running for government office though I'd run on a pro white linen/anti-zombie ticket that would be unbeatable.

ETA: I basically feel like WDW has gone after that one middle class market and it's lead to overcrowding (some of the pics I see just seem so unsafe) and making the resort more generic. Sorry, I think I'm explaining this poorly.

I think people spend their money on what is important to them and I think just about anyone can go to Disney if they plan it. No, not everyone can afford to stay at the Grand Californian or the Polynesian for 10 days every year, but there are many other nice alternatives that can save people money. I think if you plan it, you can make it happen on some level.
I agree. It takes me about two years to save up, sometimes three. When other expenses take priority, we put off our trip. I would love to go every year or even more often, but we like to stay at deluxe resorts, so we go less often. But when we go, we make the most of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter