AP - Room Booking via Package (reference other thread)

it is no problem, i will say though just know your info as it took a while to book my mam in the santa fe. not that there was a problem they were confused as to what to charge me. i was told that it was 99cent per person per night for the local taxes and breakfast was 4.20 per breakfast.

We tried the advice of this thread and it did not work out well for us this week.

We booked a room online (from the US) for 1 adult at Hotel New York, intending to get annual passes for the other 2 adults when we arrived. We also needed a crib for the baby. When we arrived, we were told that the room could only accomodate 1 person - that they did not have any rooms available that could hold 3 adults. The front desk staff was rude and gave us a very hard time - saying we should have called several days in advance to let them know we had more people in our group than we had booked. After about an hour arguing with the manager, they gave us a room. The room they gave us had not been cleaned from the previous guests. Not a great start to our trip.

I was surprised about this because I thought all rooms were designed to accomodate atleast 4 adults/2 beds.

Advice: Call before you go and make sure they know how many people will actually be in your room.

--Heather

That's a worry...

Like you say, I thought that all rooms catered for a minimum two double bed.

Anyone else with negative experience....?

It will be okay :hug:.

Thank you! :rotfl: I hope so, like I said on another thread, the worst case scenario is that we would have to pay for me as a package when we get there and I wouldn't be able to get an AP, hope that doesn't happen though. I'll be booking over the phone with DLP, should I tell them I'll be in the room when I book?

There are a few rooms that do only have 1 bed rather than 2. I suppose the difference here is that the poster was adding 2 extra people to the room whereas I think (may be wrong though) that everyone else who has added people to the room on arrival (including me) have only added one person.

There are a few rooms that do only have 1 bed rather than 2. I suppose the difference here is that the poster was adding 2 extra people to the room whereas I think (may be wrong though) that everyone else who has added people to the room on arrival (including me) have only added one person.

I will only be adding one person so hopefully you are right about this, this does make sense *phew*

This is turning into a bit of a worry in my head.

I've also got 1 person booked into NYH for 4 nights in mid-December. It was my intention to then at reception add 1 further Adult and 2 Children to the room on a Bed+Breakfast basis (they have APs already).

Wondering now how to proceed. Thinking maybe now is the time to contact Hotel and advise them that of my new requirement??.

Best method to contact them?

Thanks

Iain

I've also got 1 person booked into NYH for 4 nights in mid-December. It was my intention to then at reception add 1 further Adult and 2 Children to the room on a Bed+Breakfast basis (they have APs already).

Wondering now how to proceed. Thinking maybe now is the time to contact Hotel and advise them that of my new requirement??.

Best method to contact them?

Thanks

Iain

you know this issue never even occurred to me, but it does make sense, as there are some rooms in the onsite hotels with just one king sized bed as opposed to the standard 2 doubles or double and bunks.

Iain I'd call the hotel direct and ask them to put on your booking that you will require a standard room with 2 double beds, as you'll be adding 3 guests with no need for park tickets when you arrive. Then if I were you, I'd call them again about a week before you go, to re-iterate this (this is around the time they would normally be looking at your room allocation).

I might pop into First Choice and ask them to give Disney a ring and let them know that i will be staying in the room also in June.

I wonder why they have started to be funny about it? i can't see it being a problem as we did it ok in Septmeber just gone and they didn't bat an eyelid.

It's got me worried now though as we are staying at the Cheyenne and they will not allow adults in the bunk beds.
I hope they don't say that 2 women can't share the double bed :rotfl2:

I don't think they've started being funny about it - from the hotel's allocation point of view, they have one person booked into a room prior to them checking in. They allocate the rooms generally before you get there, so they could well have allocated a one-bed room to that booking. Then it could have taken some time once the party checked in to find them a suitable room with 2 double beds and change the allocation.

When you look at it that way, it seems only sensible to call the hotel before you check in to let them know what you need. Like I say, it would never have occurred to me before, but it does make sense.

I wonder why they have started to be funny about it

I suspect they aren't being 'funny' about it really. I just suspect until now we (the forum group) have been luckly that DLP has allocated a 'regular' room to everyone's booking.

The issue has come to light now that they had felt it necessary to allocated a one person booking with a max two person room (perhaps due to capacity issues).

I suspect they aren't being 'funny' about it really. I just suspect until now we (the forum group) have been luckly that DLP has allocated a 'regular' room to everyone's booking.

The issue has come to light now that they had felt it necessary to allocated a one person booking with a max two person room (perhaps due to capacity issues).

I don't think they've started being funny about it - from the hotel's allocation point of view, they have one person booked into a room prior to them checking in. They allocate the rooms generally before you get there, so they could well have allocated a one-bed room to that booking. Then it could have taken some time once the party checked in to find them a suitable room with 2 double beds and change the allocation.

When you look at it that way, it seems only sensible to call the hotel before you check in to let them know what you need. Like I say, it would never have occurred to me before, but it does make sense.

Yes that would make sense. I think i may still pop into First Choice and get them to ring Disney just to make them aware that i will be staying.

Mind you saying that we did exactly that last time and it confused the SL reception person even more as there was no recored of me anywhere.

Decisions, decisions.

Well hopefully that is it all done, i am now officially a note on the booking to say i will also be staying in the room in June.

The girl from First Choice was brilliant (she dealt with us last time) and when Disney tried to say that it would alter the 30% off discount she explained again that i would not need park tickets and only needed to be added to the room.

I think Disney understood what she meant as they said that i would have to pay at check in ( i presume the couple of Euros, well i hope anyway)

First Choice said that if the invoice did come through with the price altered she would be straight on the phone to them again.

I might pop into First Choice and ask them to give Disney a ring and let them know that i will be staying in the room also in June.

I wonder why they have started to be funny about it? i can't see it being a problem as we did it ok in Septmeber just gone and they didn't bat an eyelid.

It's got me worried now though as we are staying at the Cheyenne and they will not allow adults in the bunk beds. I hope they don't say that 2 women can't share the double bed :rotfl2:

We had 3 adults and a child in the room at Cheyenne (our adult son was with us) and there was no problem with them allowing it. This was a time when we did a normal booking when you could get good AP discounts on the room. He even slept in the top bunk although it isnt recomended for people over a certain weight

All sorted. I faxed NYH late last night with a cover letter letter, detailing my current booking, and that I'd been advised by the UK Reservation team :-)rolleyes1 - in reality I'm sure that it did come up on an earlier conversation with them) that on arrival I could add the extra people to the room.

Outlined how many people I wanted to add, along with their ages. Explained that these extra people only need to be added on a 'Bed and Breakfast' basis as they had valid APs.

Also was clear that it was my expectation/understanding that this could be done for a nomimal fee.

Anyhow, had an email this morning (very prompt) from the DLP UK Admin team. They'd been passed the fax (apparently NYH don't deal with reservations). They've confirmed that the three extra people will be able to share my room, and that this will cost my (payable at reception) an extra €1.65 per person per night.

Result!....although I will be taking a copy of the email with me...just in case...

Regards

Iain.

All sorted. I faxed NYH late last night with a cover letter letter, detailing my current booking, and that I'd been advised by the UK Reservation team :-)rolleyes1 - in reality I'm sure that it did come up on an earlier conversation with them) that on arrival I could add the extra people to the room.

Outlined how many people I wanted to add, along with their ages. Explained that these extra people only need to be added on a 'Bed and Breakfast' basis as they had valid APs.

Also was clear that it was my expectation/understanding that this could be done for a nomimal fee.

Anyhow, had an email this morning (very prompt) from the DLP UK Admin team. They'd been passed the fax (apparently NYH don't deal with reservations). They've confirmed that the three extra people will be able to share my room, and that this will cost my (payable at reception) an extra €1.65 per person per night.

Result!....although I will be taking a copy of the email with me...just in case...

Regards

Iain.

I just phoned Disney to book our stay but got cold feet just before booking for one person, and asked about adding me on as an extra person on arrival.
First she said that I should book a package then the cost of my 3 day hopper would come off the AP - I know this is impossible and told her so.
Then she put me on hold, and came back and said I would need to pay a Room Only fee on check in of £170.
I asked about the room tax, she put me through to Sequoia Lodge, who after I explained what I wanted to do, put me straight back through to bookings!
So, needless to say this phone call has not filled me with confidence. I'm beginning to wonder whether I should bother getting an AP at all, as the value of it depends on using this method another twice and I'm really worried about its going to work.
Your post reassures me a bit Iain, maybe I should just book for the one person and email close to the time as well.

I really think you have nothing to worry about. I think poor Heather was really unfortunate in that she was allocated one of the few rooms at Hotel New York with a king bed rather than two doubles and it only became a problem as she wanted to add another 2 adults (or it could be a problem if there are 2 friends unwilling to share a bed). This probably doesn't arise very often as the majority of the rooms are two doubles and it was always my impression that the rooms with one king were highly sought after ~ when allocating the rooms the hotel probably thought it was a nice treat to offer (to what they thought was) a solo traveller.

Whenever we've stayed at Explorers the hotel has never known in advance how many people are going to be staying in our room as we've always booked a room for 6 ~ when we get there they've just added on the city taxes for the adults in our party to the total.

I've booked two rooms for our May trip, one for me and DH, and one for our DDs. We did consider booking only 4 packages (2 rooms for 2 and adding our 5th person on when we got there but the price of one AP (even with shareholder discount) was more than the 3rd person supplement and as we definitely aren't going back within the year it didn't work out for us. If we had been then we would have been doing this.

Honestly, I really can't see any problems for you. :goodvibes The CMs on the booking line will have to book as many packages as possible so are naturally going to push you in this direction.

Thanks Ware Bears for your reassurance :goodvibes It was the thought of an extra £170 on check in that really scared me!
As theres only 2 of us I guess theres never going to be a danger of too small a room! So hopefully you're right and it will be fine.

Then she put me on hold, and came back and said I would need to pay a Room Only fee on check in of £170.

Do you mean you wanted to book a room for one person on a room only basis and they wanted to charge you £170
or that they wanted to charge you £170 for an extra person in the room (without park tickets) payable at check in? :scared1:

I agree with Elaine I dont think theres anything to worry about.

When we did this last summer to add DS at the last minute we were told by the booking line that we could add him on before hand and pay the additional adult supplement (£90) or add him when we arrived and pay the local tax (1E per night). They obviously knew which we would choose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter