AP Pricing Concerns

Just to add ..this is the legal disclaimer on the FL select that would allow them to control when and where you can go.
When Is the Disney Theme Park Select Pass Good for Admission at Each Park?
Admission dates for this pass vary by theme park. Select a park to see admission and blockout dates.
All information, including without limitation, blockout dates and times of operation, are subject to change without notice.

No such disclaimer on Gold, Silver, Or weekday YET.

But how does that change anything? The date you do the renewal doesn't change the expiration date of the pass. The pass maintains it's original expiration date.

No, it begins with the new date. I essentially get a new pass not a renewal. If my pass expired in August, and I get a new one on my next visit in November it is good until November of the following year. That's 2 more months than if I renewed in August, wasting at least 2 months of the pass. The small discount Disney offers for renewing isn't worth losing the 2 months or more.

I’m not in my 60 day renewal window yet, and I didn’t see the price listed anywhere yet. Can someone please look up the renewal price for a regular (non-FL, non-DVC) Platinum Plus pass? Thanks!

Huff-agree. We do the same thing. We only go to Disney once a year right now due to college expenses for DD. We do however stagger our trips so we can get two 11 day trips out of one annual pass each. Then we let those expire and get new vouchers and activate on the next trip. We just got our vouchers for 2019 and 2020 trips two weeks ago before the changes. We love Tables in Wonderland too!

No, it begins with the new date. I essentially get a new pass not a renewal. If my pass expired in August, and I get a new one on my next visit in November it is good until November of the following year. That's 2 more months than if I renewed in August, wasting at least 2 months of the pass. The small discount Disney offers for renewing isn't worth losing the 2 months or more.
Oh, than you aren't renewing at all. Renewing means you keep the same pass going continually and get the discount. You are le the pass expire and buying a new one. Your other post said you renewed so that's why I was confused.

I’m not in my 60 day renewal window yet, and I didn’t see the price listed anywhere yet. Can someone please look up the renewal price for a regular (non-FL, non-DVC) Platinum Plus pass? Thanks!
This was posted earlier in the thread
I just checked ours and the Platinum <non-resident> discount for renewal
Renewal quote is $808.34 when I just logged on to MDE and checked this morning after seeing the news. Luckily we just got a place in FL so we'll be updating to resident pricing - and perhaps dropping down to GOLD since we don't go in April or December typically.
I looked this morning because I’m still within renewal period and for my regular platinum and it was $808.34. I think it was $757ish yesterday.

Last edited:
Oh, than you aren't renewing at all. Renewing means you keep the same pass going continually and get the discount. You are le the pass expire and buying a new one. Your other post said you renewed so that's why I was confused.

It makes no sense to renew if you are not planning on going within the month of your renewal. Discount is so low it just isn't worth much to me.

It makes no sense to renew if you are not planning on going within the month of your renewal. Discount is so low it just isn't worth much to me.
I agree completely. We've always checked to decide which is better. We tend to go ahead and renew just to be able to get the FP, since you need to purchase at least 2 months out for that

If you renew early "especially this month " you will ensure your entitled to the current black out dates.
If you wait and plan on saving a month or 2 in payments to either stretch things out or save a few bucks, you might find your pass may no longer exist or have a new set of black out dates because of "SWGE"...probably most weekends for the first month or 3. Or you can just buy new passes now and activate when needed..
Earlier in this thread I speculated that they might increase the AP prices at the same time as the regular tickets..now I'm going to speculate that the AP's will change a year and at least a day or 2 if not more.. from when they think SWGE will open....tick, tick..but I've been wrong before.

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

The AP price increases were steep! I am glad that our party bought vouchers before the new pricing structure went into effect.

The FL Resident Weekday Select has increased $50 this year! It went from $269 to $289 in Feb. and up to $319 last week. That is close to a 19% increase.

I was not able to upgrade a disney purchased ticket to an AP. I'm guessing it's because ticket is part of a package. I wanted to upgrade DS ticket that I purchased as part of a free dining package (package is paid off) and called multiple times and was told every time I could only upgrade once on site. Sigh. I did pay for my AP renewal before the increase, though!

I was not able to upgrade a disney purchased ticket to an AP. I'm guessing it's because ticket is part of a package. I wanted to upgrade DS ticket that I purchased as part of a free dining package (package is paid off) and called multiple times and was told every time I could only upgrade once on site. Sigh. I did pay for my AP renewal before the increase, though!
If the ticket is part of a package for a future date, you do have to wait until you get there to upgrade. That's because that ticket is not yet active. It will become active on your check-in date.

If the ticket is part of a package for a future date, you do have to wait until you get there to upgrade. That's because that ticket is not yet active. It will become active on your check-in date.

Can you activate a ticket prior to your check-in date? We'll be arriving a few days before our package starts and would like to use them right away. Also, would like to apply them to our AP renewal.

Can you activate a ticket prior to your check-in date? We'll be arriving a few days before our package starts and would like to use them right away. Also, would like to apply them to our AP renewal.
The latest word I saw is with the new ticketing rules, you can no longer do this. Check over on the Ticket Sticky to be sure that's still correct.

You used to be able to go to Guest Services and activate your package tickets up to 10 days early, *BUT* as @AngiTN mentioned, the information that has come in regarding the new ticket rules is that guests will NOT be able to activate package tickets prior to their package start date. The information came from a TA that attended a Disney training and posted a summary of the changes in the ticket changes thread. Not being able to activate package tickets early was one of the things that the TAs were told in this training about the new ticket rules.

I would suggest to change your package to room-only and purchase tickets separately. That way, they will be valid anytime. You will also be able to make FastPasses. Even if by some chance you are able to activate your tickets early onsite, you would not be able to make FPs for the dates prior to your package start date until the tickets are activated.

The latest word I saw is with the new ticketing rules, you can no longer do this. Check over on the Ticket Sticky to be sure that's still correct.

You used to be able to go to Guest Services and activate your package tickets up to 10 days early, *BUT* as @AngiTN mentioned, the information that has come in regarding the new ticket rules is that guests will NOT be able to activate package tickets prior to their package start date. The information came from a TA that attended a Disney training and posted a summary of the changes in the ticket changes thread. Not being able to activate package tickets early was one of the things that the TAs were told in this training about the new ticket rules.

I would suggest to change your package to room-only and purchase tickets separately. That way, they will be valid anytime. You will also be able to make FastPasses. Even if by some chance you are able to activate your tickets early onsite, you would not be able to make FPs for the dates prior to your package start date until the tickets are activated.

Thank you! I called Disney, and they confirmed the tickets are not available prior to your check-in date so had to cancel as we're arriving a few days before. I had a BB FD booked and hoped to use the tickets towards our AP renewal. So glad I caught this before it was too late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter