AP Pricing Concerns

Well, I'm feeling a whole lot better about opting not to renew my son's AP at all now, so there's that lol! Mine's still good until late March and I guess we'll think about what we want to do (and what I financially can do) then. The price increases are really, really painful at my end: my income just can't keep pace.

The cost of a platinum AP before the February increase was $779. Current cost with today's increase for the same AP is $894. That's an extra $115 and about a 15% total increase on the year. Even assuming no additional price hikes at the beginning of 2019, anyone renewing their AP purchased before the 2018 increases will get a renewal discount that allows them to pay about the same amount as their original AP.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the AP Platinum Pass cost at the beginning of 2016 - it was $649 before the February 2016 price increase. So in 2 1/2 years, the cost of the Platinum AP has increased by about 38%. Whenever next year's price increase occurs, I expect that the cost of the Platinum AP (with tax) will push past $1,000.

And to be honest, I don't think we are getting 38% more value from then to now, which is why we aren't renewing any longer.....Perhaps all the construction will change that, but until then......(even though your $1200 AP by the time it all opens wont even get you close to getting a FP for the new rides).

I just checked ours and the Platinum <non-resident> discount for renewal appears to be about 10% - not 15% - if I did the math correctly.

Renewal quote is $808.34 when I just logged on to MDE and checked this morning after seeing the news. Luckily we just got a place in FL so we'll be updating to resident pricing - and perhaps dropping down to GOLD since we don't go in April or December typically.
I just ran the numbers and it is still 15%

I just checked historical pricing. Annual pass prices increased twice this year and also in 2015, so it is possible and perhaps even likely they'll go up again in February. Again, I hope that is not the case, but seems like they go up every February and sometimes in October, too.

The other angle is February and October were when parking went up to $22 and $25, right? Park parking's included with AP. The $45 AP increase today works out to 15 days of the $3/day parking increase.

Of course, onsite-staying AP holders aren't getting any value out of that.

We have regular Platinum AP's, this year joined DVC so I am cautiously optimistic they will let me renew to the DVC Gold AP's. If they do any word if there will be additional black out dates? I am not worried about April 2019 or Christmas black outs but am worried about them adding black out dates for the rest of 2019. Are the black out dates already set for the Silver?

We have regular Platinum AP's, this year joined DVC so I am cautiously optimistic they will let me renew to the DVC Gold AP's. If they do any word if there will be additional black out dates? I am not worried about April 2019 or Christmas black outs but am worried about them adding black out dates for the rest of 2019. Are the black out dates already set for the Silver?
Black out dates on passes that have them are never set. They are always subject to change

If you are within the renewal window you can renew to any AP level that you are eligible for. I had the platinum plus last year and renewed to Gold last week, it has never been an issue.

I am a DVC Member with an AP. I have a 4-day family trip in January and a 3-day trip in August planned. As of today’s new pricing, it is cheaper to buy an annual pass for the 5 family members using my DVC discount than buying separate tickets for the 2 trips. As expected, August dates are much more expensive than January.

@rteetz I have not seen any information about AP (specifically DVC Gold AP) renewal? Is that price increasing as well and to what?
I need to upgrade my 4 year old’s Ticket to a Gold AP in 10 days. We had an UT ticket so I couldn’t upgrade ahead of time.

I will put any questions we currently don't have answers to on the bottom of the FAQ post.
As for adding new questions, I think because so many of us on Disboards do it, a question should be added about how previously purchased MYW UT tickets will be handled/valued when bridging to an AP.

I bought discounted 5 day hoppers from UT for my kids for our trip in January trip that they will want to bridge to AP's. Should be interesting to see how that original ticket is valued.

@rteetz I have not seen any information about AP (specifically DVC Gold AP) renewal? Is that price increasing as well and to what?

As for adding new questions, I think because so many of us on Disboards do it, a question should be added about how previously purchased MYW UT tickets will be handled/valued when bridging to an AP.

I bought discounted 5 day hoppers from UT for my kids for our trip in January trip that they will want to bridge to AP's. Should be interesting to see how that original ticket is valued.
There was a chart somewhere around here. All AP's except premiere went up.

As far as I know that ticket should be taken at its purchased value and you pay the difference in the upgrade.

Black out dates on passes that have them are never set. They are always subject to change

If you are within the renewal window you can renew to any AP level that you are eligible for. I had the platinum plus last year and renewed to Gold last week, it has never been an issue.

Okay guys one more question now I have contemplated all day. If I renew and get the DVC Gold instead of the Platinum if the block out dates are added when we want to go can I pay the difference and upgrade then? I.e. Renew to Gold now, then block out period added to our planned trip next October, I then pay difference for the Platinum pass so we can go and not be subject to a block out period?

I assume the answer is yes but with Disney sometimes you never know. Thanks.

Last edited:
Okay guys one more question now I have contemplated all day. If I renew and get the DVC Gold instead of the Platinum if the black out dates are added when we want to go can I pay the difference and upgrade then? I.e. Renew to Gold now, then blackout period added to our planned trip next October, I then pay difference for the Platinum pass so we can go and not be subject to a black out period?

I have done that twice when we later decided to travel on BLOCK OUT dates.

They charged us the full difference and expire date remains the same.

Has anyone seen the price to renew Platinum AP (non Fl Resident)?
As always a 15% discount, unless there is a new disclaimer that I don't see yet.

Here's what it says today;
Yes. As a courtesy, we offer a discount for renewing your Walt Disney World Annual Pass up to 30 days after your Anniversary Date.

but no mention of how much?

Last edited:
AP alert...So far no matter which AP level I'm checking for block out dates , nothing showing past September 30th 2019.
Not sure but I think it use to show all the way to end of 2019.
Maybe something to do with SWGE ?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/passes/#

The Theme Park Select Pass that is offered to Florida residents is showing a calendar that extends into October 2019.

Of the 4 parks, HS is the only park blocked out for all of September and October.

My renewal date is Dec 18th so my 60 day early renewal is in 2 days..So it makes it hard to decide which AP to renew or buy with no black out dates after September 2019. Originally I thought I would just renew my AP and would be good to go sometime after SWGE opens in the fall. but NO..they want to maximize their revenue :rolleyes:
Soooo... why would anyone buy or renew an AP now when we all know that they will be blocking out DHS for SWGE starting in October?
I'm just guessing that only the top AP's will not be blocked out..if any.
This is probably one reason for the date specific tickets..which will be a good way for them to control AP's and sell more full price tickets going forward..mainly for DHS, but then for Epcot and MK when their new rides open.
When they announce the opening date for SWGE ... that day and for awhile after that will sell out for sure.
For some the stress of FP's and ADR's will now include days for DHS :scared:

Okay guys one more question now I have contemplated all day. If I renew and get the DVC Gold instead of the Platinum if the block out dates are added when we want to go can I pay the difference and upgrade then? I.e. Renew to Gold now, then block out period added to our planned trip next October, I then pay difference for the Platinum pass so we can go and not be subject to a block out period?

I have done that twice when we later decided to travel on BLOCK OUT dates.

They charged us the full difference and expire date remains the same.

We’ve done that too and just paid the difference, no change to expiration date, same as HopperFan says.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter