AP Holders: Should Disney "Stop the Clock" on passes until there is a Vaccine for COVID-19 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My AP renewed in March and I paid for that renewal in January, thinking that if there were an increase in price, I wanted to pay as soon as possible. With trips scheduled for early May and December, the pass would be put to good use. However, the early May trip is canceled and I have no idea if I will want to or be able to go in December, since I live in New York. It's possible there will still be travel restrictions here then.

So if, for example, I can't go to WDW until May 2021, I will have paid over $1,000 for my AP renewal for something I will never get a chance to use. I hope this doesn't happen, but it could.

ETA: If the parks are closed for several months, then I would possibly, through the extension, get at least one trip out of the AP. There's no way I can decide what I want to do at this point since everything is up in the air.

I agree. Especially if you haven't used it yet. Either a full refund or allow it to start the date of your next trip and expire a year later. Just adding on months that you hadn't planned for when you purchased isn't good enough.

I’m interested to see what “when we reopen” really means. If they start with just one park, is that “reopening”?

We have the monthly payments. They are obviously on hold now, but will resume when the parks “open”. It’s a small deal, but I’d be a tad miffed if they open just one park in June and I have to pay June and July for no reason. Our passes expire July 15th. If nothing opens by then, does that mean we have made our last payment already?

My AP renewed in March and I paid for that renewal in January, thinking that if there were an increase in price, I wanted to pay as soon as possible. With trips scheduled for early May and December, the pass would be put to good use. However, the early May trip is canceled and I have no idea if I will want to or be able to go in December, since I live in New York. It's possible there will still be travel restrictions here then.

So if, for example, I can't go to WDW until May 2021, I will have paid over $1,000 for my AP renewal for something I will never get a chance to use. I hope this doesn't happen, but it could.

ETA: If the parks are closed for several months, then I would possibly, through the extension, get at least one trip out of the AP. There's no way I can decide what I want to do at this point since everything is up in the air.
If that's the case, take the refund. It's the best option for you. If you can't go, get your money back and save it to buy another AP when you're able to go next.

Is the refund only for the time period closed or for the remainder of your annual pass?
AFAIK, it's essentially the full amount minus the time before the closures. It's essentially cancelling it and receiving a refund of all days from the closure onward.

Really. Thanks for that info. I might take the refund and just bailed on Disney until Thanksgiving. and get a new pass then.

If that's the case, take the refund. It's the best option for you. If you can't go, get your money back and save it to buy another AP when you're able to go next.
That won't work if the refund is just for, say, four months, since I'd still be out over $800 for something I never used. I realize this might happen and am stealing myself for it.

If we were only talking about inconvenience, I could agree with you. However, in this instance it is also a question of health and safety. (Disney will need to tread softly in their COVID-19 policies or risk losing the trust of the public.)
if they're open, you have the choice to go or not. I'm the first one to call disney greedy with all their price hikes, however they're hurting enough as it is right now. I dont think its right to expect them to give anything beyond a full year of access to an AP.

if they're open, you have the choice to go or not. I'm the first one to call disney greedy with all their price hikes, however they're hurting enough as it is right now. I dont think its right to expect them to give anything beyond a full year of access to an AP.
Well, all that would be fine except that I bought an AP to use, not to donate a thousand bucks to Disney.

There’s the question of what open really means here, if you paid $1000+ for a year of access to the old normal in WDW and then weeks (months?) of it now is access to 1-3 parks instead of all 4, parks without the entertainment as we knew it, parks with with more than normal going “seasonal” aka not operating, and any other rumoured changes, did you get what you paid for access to? I think it’s fair to expect the extension period to cover at least the point where all 4 parks are up and running, but it would be nice to see it also go up to the point where major entertainment is back (if it ends up being cut) and the experience resembles old normal as much as they realistically can.

And then there’s also the issue of all the AP holders who are not local or close, and do not benefit from extensions if for whatever reason they cannot travel again fast enough to see benefit from having an AP. The refund is better than nothing, but not a great solution for some.

I fall into that second category. My AP was for two trips, one last fall one in March. With March gone, a 3-4 month extension on my AP doesn’t really help me and a refund of 3-4 months means I still paid an obscene amount for a 6 day ticket. It was unusual circumstances for us that led to the purchase in the first place, we are very unlikely to go that often again. I would like to see that full year of access being able to be paused and restarted at a time that works for the individual. I don’t think Disney owes any of us extra access but that’s not what I think they should do either.

If we were only talking about inconvenience, I could agree with you. However, in this instance it is also a question of health and safety. (Disney will need to tread softly in their COVID-19 policies or risk losing the trust of the public.)

As I mentioned before, it is your choice for you not to go - not Disney's choice. Either take the refund or choose to go. And you already said your weren't planning to renew, so no need to tread softly (and if they do monitor this board, they know that too.)

I received a thank you email on Monday, but no email regarding a choice of refund or extending the pass. Was there a date that people needed to make a decision by?

If they are closed 90 days, I think you should be able to pick the 90 day period you want to use that time. Not fair to just at it on to the end because it could be time that isn't usable for you.

If they are closed 90 days, I think you should be able to pick the 90 day period you want to use that time. Not fair to just at it on to the end because it could be time that isn't usable for you.
You got 365 days to use the pass, that’s what you agreed to when you bought it. I really don’t understand why some of y’all are upset by the approach of adding on the days to the end of the term or getting a partial refund. That really seems fair.

Hurting how? Billions in profits in recent years. They are not hurting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter