AP Holders: Should Disney "Stop the Clock" on passes until there is a Vaccine for COVID-19 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
True -- there is great incentive to get one created (compared to other coronaviruses) .. but doesn't mean it will be effective or safe anytime soon.
And there are going to be a fair number of people who will not be inclined to take a rush-job vaccine, that skipped certain phases of safety testing in the race to get to market. Safe vaccine production is measured in years, not months, because of the long-term safety testing that is typically mandated. A one year vaccine is going to have to cut corners on that, and that fact will reduce compliance.

The OP has stated that were they allowed to go to WDW they would not want to go until there is a vaccine. WDW has offered refunds for their unused time on their APs if they so choose. I have a feeling that is the only fair option they will be given. It's the OP's choice to make whether to get a partial refund or nothing. Expecting WDW to extend the AP to some unknown future date based on the availability of a vaccine is folly, as is expecting any vaccine to be 100% effective.

The OP has stated that were they allowed to go to WDW they would not want to go until there is a vaccine. WDW has offered refunds for their unused time on their APs if they so choose. I have a feeling that is the only fair option they will be given. It's the OP's choice to make whether to get a partial refund or nothing. Expecting WDW to extend the AP to some unknown future date based on the availability of a vaccine is folly, as is expecting any vaccine to be 100% effective.

How is it folly when other places are extending aps, programs, perks, points through all of 2021?

The only folly part about it is how blind disney execs generally are to the public sentiment. If Chapek had his way, they would be charging a discounted fee to extend those passes.

How is it folly when other places are extending aps, programs, perks, points through all of 2021?

The only folly part about it is how blind disney execs generally are to the public sentiment. If Chapek had his way, they would be charging a discounted fee to extend those passes.

OP didn't ask about extending, and the likelihood of a vaccine distributed to everyone that wants it in 12-18 months is best case. So I guess they could try for Oct-Dec 2021 - if there's anything available for then.

I would really like if there was another option for APs considering how unique of a situation this is, a pause button. Because there’s not we will probably have to opt for the refund of the remainder, which stinks because we paid for 5 ish months of AP for 6 park days and a TIW card that we now probably will not break even on.

Our situation was buying APs and TIW to cover two already planned trips. One, the longer one, is now indefinitely postponed and we can’t just up and go at any time of year once things are up and running again to go before our passes expire, even considering that an extension makes it go longer. A refund is better than nothing, but it would be nice if we could just put it all on hold until we can go back again.

I think yes....Lots of us will have to reschedule a trip in the first few months of Disney re-opening or loose the time left on our passes. I simply do not want to have to choose between Safety OR letting the remaining time on my pass elapse.

They won’t, but I think they should. We have Disneyland passes that expire June 27, so if they open June 1, I guess our extension will be mid September? Even though we are local, we have no intention of going in June or July due to safety, and may not even feel safe going when we’ve booked the Disneyland Hotel Labor Day weekend. Plus, if there are going to be no character meet and greets, no fireworks, no parades, and lots of other restrictions, I don’t feel like we are getting the product we paid $500 a pass for almost a year ago.

Before people jump down my throat, I completely understand we live in a different world now, and that possible changes and cutbacks are necessary, but for what they charge for these passes and how uncertain everything is right now, I feel like at least having the option to freeze your pass or something would be nice. We may end up just taking the refund depending on when they open.

Not to throw a wrench into the mix, but I do they that the extension to the end of the year is more than accommodating TBH, or a partial refund...It's not perfect for everyone, but it's something :confused3 .

My scenario is a little different though, for I bought 10 day PH's from UT, right when the prices changed. So not only was I able to get a lil bit of a UT break, I also got them at the old prices. (It was the biggest discount) Our trip in June was only supposed to be 6 days at WDW & 2 @ VB so What I was going to do was upgrade to AP's right on that 1st day, and subsequently use it for another 7 day trip in late Oct. Thus getting at least 13 days out of the AP. We were also going to purchase TiW and use that for 9 guests for at least 5 or 6 dinners 1st trip and like 6 on the 2nd.

With things the way they currently are, If they indeed have a soft opening, or Phased park opening lets say 7/1/20 then in my case it doesn't make sense for me to activate it it for 1 or possibly 2 days and have the ticker start at that point.. I might as well just forego the parks altogether and just activate it come Oct. and just make sure I get another trip possibly next summer to make the AP/TiW well worth it. I know this is strictly my scenario, but I'm sure everyones has some wiggle room...Maybe not...?? Either way I hope it works out the best case possible for anyone with an AP or such.

I agree but under certain conditions. If they reopen WDW but do it like China, where only main street and a few shops and restaurants are open, then I don't think that should restart the clock.

Just to clarify, Shanghai Disneyland park is NOT open at all. The resort and the area outside the park are open - there is no access to the theme park over there yet. The area outside the park is kind of like a really small Disney Springs with several shops and eating places. That's what is open with significant restrictions.

They won’t, but I think they should. We have Disneyland passes that expire June 27, so if they open June 1, I guess our extension will be mid September? Even though we are local, we have no intention of going in June or July due to safety, and may not even feel safe going when we’ve booked the Disneyland Hotel Labor Day weekend. Plus, if there are going to be no character meet and greets, no fireworks, no parades, and lots of other restrictions, I don’t feel like we are getting the product we paid $500 a pass for almost a year ago.

Before people jump down my throat, I completely understand we live in a different world now, and that possible changes and cutbacks are necessary, but for what they charge for these passes and how uncertain everything is right now, I feel like at least having the option to freeze your pass or something would be nice. We may end up just taking the refund depending on when they open.

I agree, it would be nice if they would allow freezing depending on people’s circumstances.

Asking for a lengthy extension because of this while still choosing to keep your pass active is probably a bit much. I don’t expect them to extend beyond when all 4 parks are open. Freezing seems fair. Let us keep the benefits we bought into with our passes without having to go under less than ideal circumstances (whether it’s virus related, vacation time, school conflicts, etc) to take advantage. Lots of people don’t buy APs because they go super often, but because they go just enough to make it worth it when taking into account the other benefits.

While I don’t think you’ll see them extend passes by a full year (unless the parks aren’t open for a full year, which I think we can all agree is extremely unlikely), I do think Disney is going to extend a lot of promotions, specials, and “perks” to passholders. Some of it might be goodwill, but more importantly, Disney often turns to passholders whenever there’s a significant slowdown in attendance (which we’re also likely to see at least through fall). I wouldn’t be surprised to see more “Bring a Friend” tickets, super cheap water park tickets (side note: I think it’s gonna be hard for the water parks, given the germ-ridden reputation water parks already have and that it can be difficult to wear masks and other protective equipment in the pool), deep hotel discounts, and other promotions and specials for passholders. They may even extend passes for an extra month like they did a few years ago. I’d look back to the 45th anniversary promotions and discounts for an idea of what’s likely to come. But again, they wouldn’t be doing that just to be nice, they’ll only do it if their attendance numbers aren’t what they want them to be (which they probably won’t be).

Is it just a wild coincidence that Disney resent the Options for Passholders email to me an hour ago...or did everyone else get it again too. Makes me wonder if they are monitoring this board.

Is it just a wild coincidence that Disney resent the Options for Passholders email to me an hour ago...or did everyone else get it again too. Makes me wonder if they are monitoring this board.
Wild coincidence, for sure. I have no doubt they have PR people monitoring social media and boards for analysis, but this board is not going to directly impact policy decisions. This board makes up a tiny fraction of their annual passholders and visitors.

I'd imagine they'll re-send the email a few times, or especially so for people that haven't called and made a decision.

our local theme park extended 2020 passes through 2021, but they close for the winter and arent a year round park. the passes are also for a season, not a rolling year based on when you buy the pass. if I buy a season pass 2 months into the parks season, they dont give me 2 months of park entry for the next season, its for that season only.

we have memberships to a local zoo as well, they're year round. They're doing a "stop the clock" offer on our membership. I see that as fair, i dont think its right to expect more than what you paid for something, and thats what it is if someone is expecting disney to offer you more days on your pass than what you paid for with your AP. you paid for a year's worth of a park time. they should give you the years worth, beyond that, thats too much.

Most of the ones extending through all of 2021 are the seasonal parks with annual passes that are based on calendar year and not "12 months from when you activate it". If they can't open until June/July then for most of them that is more then half the season gone i many cases so extending them into next year is really the only viable option at that point.

My AP renewed in March and I paid for that renewal in January, thinking that if there were an increase in price, I wanted to pay as soon as possible. With trips scheduled for early May and December, the pass would be put to good use. However, the early May trip is canceled and I have no idea if I will want to or be able to go in December, since I live in New York. It's possible there will still be travel restrictions here then.

So if, for example, I can't go to WDW until May 2021, I will have paid over $1,000 for my AP renewal for something I will never get a chance to use. I hope this doesn't happen, but it could.

ETA: If the parks are closed for several months, then I would possibly, through the extension, get at least one trip out of the AP. There's no way I can decide what I want to do at this point since everything is up in the air.

our local theme park extended 2020 passes through 2021, but they close for the winter and arent a year round park. the passes are also for a season, not a rolling year based on when you buy the pass. if I buy a season pass 2 months into the parks season, they dont give me 2 months of park entry for the next season, its for that season only.

we have memberships to a local zoo as well, they're year round. They're doing a "stop the clock" offer on our membership. I see that as fair, i dont think its right to expect more than what you paid for something, and thats what it is if someone is expecting disney to offer you more days on your pass than what you paid for with your AP. you paid for a year's worth of a park time. they should give you the years worth, beyond that, thats too much.
If we were only talking about inconvenience, I could agree with you. However, in this instance it is also a question of health and safety. (Disney will need to tread softly in their COVID-19 policies or risk losing the trust of the public.)

Here's my problem with just extending or refunding. We go every Thanksgiving and every spring break, and then add in several long weekend trips, especially in the spring and early summer. My pass expires mid August. We don't go often in the fall because of school just getting started and football season. I didn't expect to pay for 2 fall seasons and zero spring seasons. I wasn't going to get another annual pass until Thanksgiving this year because I don't plan to go mid-August to mid November, so extending it does no good.

I'd like to see other options, like getting passes for the same date range that they are closed for next year or a number of individual day passes based on some type of calculation.

Regarding zoo membership--I purposely renewed my Bronx Zoo membership last month since I know the zoo needs the income, since even without visitors, the animals still need to be taken care of. But the cost to me is less than 10% what my AP renewal was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter