Anyone know why it's so busy right now?

I had this fear, too, but luckily stayed healthy. :) One thing I did that I've never done before is once I sat down on the plane, I wiped my tray all over using clorox wipes I had in my carryon. I also carried an empty plastic ziploc to put the dirty wipes in so I didn't have to hold them or find somewhere to throw them away while everyone was boarding. Easy peasy and took less than 30 seconds. I wiped our remote, doorknob, toilet handle and light switches once we got in the room and was conscious of not touching everything and washing my hands often.
I put wipes on my packing list, just for this reason. I've seriously considered wearing face masks too, to keep us from touching our faces with dirty hands. Probably won't, but I've certainly considered it (especially for a particular 7 year old...)

I put wipes on my packing list, just for this reason. I've seriously considered wearing face masks too, to keep us from touching our faces with dirty hands. Probably won't, but I've certainly considered it (especially for a particular 7 year old...)
how long until people start decorating surgical face masks with Disney themes? Whiskers and nose to match Minnie ears...

Darn it, I just gave away a million dollar idea.

how long until people start decorating surgical face masks with Disney themes? Whiskers and nose to match Minnie ears...

Darn it, I just gave away a million dollar idea.
Don't worry, this is already done all over Asia!

We are set to arrive Sunday and BOTH of my kids have the flu this week! My 11 year old is over it, still coughing but not running a fever anymore but my 4 year old is in the thick of it. I bet he'll be better by Friday. So now I'm praying and shoving vitamins down all of our throats in the hopes that DH and I don't catch it. I've been fighting so hard to keep everyone well! FAIL!

I've worried about this too. Hoping that you're all feeling well by your arrival!

I don’t think anyone believes that, but historically, they have been much more accurate than they have been this month. January seems to have varied from predictions much more than is typical.

DUDE!!!! My first AK day went from a predicted 2 to an 8!!!! I too had tracked historical days and they are usually so much closer, this month was SO WRONG and I don't get it!

Just returned from an 8-day trip (Sat, 1/13 - Sun, 1/21) and this was by far the most crowded we've ever seen the parks. Granted, the last time we visited was almost 5 years ago (late April 2013) and we've heard that the crowds have really ramped up since then, but we still couldn't believe how much busier they actually were. I've always used touringplans as my main crowd calendar guide but have also always checked other sites to make sure I'm getting a consensus crowd estimate. I've only scheduled trips on weeks where crowds are projected to be a 6 or lower (with most days 3's, 4's or 5's). The last few trips I booked had similar projected numbers at the time (late April 2013, late February 2012, early December 2010 & late April 2009). All days were projected 3's, 4's, 5's or 6's. Based on what we saw this past week, projections were either way off or a "5" doesn't mean what it used to mean.

Arriving on Saturday, we knew to expect huge crowds for MLK weekend. So we avoided the parks on Sat. Visited Disney Springs instead, which was a madhouse as both the lime & orange garages were marked "full" (we managed to find a spot). Ate at The Polite Pig - which was about a 25 min wait to place an order at the counter - HIGHLY RECOMMEND this restaurant. Great food, excellent service.

We knew Sunday and Monday would still be very crowded with MLK holiday crowds, so we decided to do Universal these days as our daughter (10) is a huge Harry Potter fan who read all 7 books over the past year. We were absolutely blown away by Diagon Alley (the last time we were there, only Hogsmeade existed). The theming/detail is simply amazing. It was very crowded, but again, we expected it.

Tuesday, 1/16 is when all the websites were projecting the crowds to start thinning out from the holiday weekend. Well, we visited MK this day, arriving about 20 minutes before park opening with the naive intention of riding 7DMR first thing. Castle show, follow the mob to 7DMR, wait is 100 min at park opening. No biggie - I've read enough here to know that was a possibility. What did surprise me was that EVERY ride had a long wait (not just the headliners). I realize this is due to the newer FP+ model (as well as Splash being down), but it was still a bit of a shock for someone who hasn't been in several years. 45 min for Pirates? We've never waited more than 10-15 min for Pirates! 75 min for Jungle Cruise, 70 min for Haunted Mansion, 30 min for the People Mover?!? But it wasn't so much the waits as it was the crowds - MK just FELT packed to the gills. If the Hub/Main Street for the 8PM Fireworks show was a "6", I shudder at the thought of a "10". The only way the crowds could've been more congested is if people stood on each other's heads. So after the Fireworks show (which is AMAZING), we decided to hang back an hour to avoid the mass exodus out of the park. Got to see them open up the "backstage" area for a crowd-control exit. An hour after park closing the wait for the Ferry/monorail was still 45 min+ and once we got back to the parking trams we had to wait 10-12 trams (another 30-45 min) to finally get on a tram. I know this sounds like child's play to people who have visited during the "busy" season, but like I said, it was a reality check to this family who expected "lighter" mid-January crowds.

We hit Epcot on Wed, HS on Thu, Epcot again on Fri and MK on Sat to close out. Every park other than HS far exceeded the crowds we were expecting, and it was freezing the day we went to HS (it got down to 26 degrees early Thu morning), so that's probably why it wasn't packed. We didn't do AK because we didn't feel like dealing with the Pandora crowds. Talked to several CM's who simply confirmed "there is no longer a 'slow' season" - maybe September, but that's about it. One other thing we noticed - it seemed like at least 50% of the people in the parks were foreigners. Not sure if January is a big month for foreign visitors or if foreigners are simply a larger percentage of WDW visitors now, but it was MUCH more noticeable than during our past visits.

We still enjoyed our trip, but this is the first time we don't have that "we can't wait to go back!" feeling. We simply felt like we couldn't breathe in the parks the way we could on our previous trips.

One last note - with as much money as Disney is raking in, there is simply no excuse for the monorails to be in the condition they are in. I'm talking dirty, grimy, smelly, stains, dustballs(?!) - it looks like they haven't been cleaned in years. Not the first impression I'd want my "guests" to have if they were shelling out thousands of dollars to come to my fantasyland.

Our last day in park was Thursday, spent the day at MK. It was pretty empty because of the cold, but space was down ALL DAY, which made it feel more packed since it wasn't eating up people. There were tons of South American tourists, my Chilean friend says because it's their summer and school is out. Lot's of families and tour groups.

We are set to arrive Sunday and BOTH of my kids have the flu this week! My 11 year old is over it, still coughing but not running a fever anymore but my 4 year old is in the thick of it. I bet he'll be better by Friday. So now I'm praying and shoving vitamins down all of our throats in the hopes that DH and I don't catch it. I've been fighting so hard to keep everyone well! FAIL!

Still praying that we are in the clear, but of course watch we get home and catch it from school. I didn't see anyone acting sick the entire time we were there, maybe a few coughs that seemed more like a smokers cough. We barely sanitized the entire time, but we did wash hands at least 20 times a day because of all the potty breaks. The kids all caught a little cold towards the end, cough, no fever, and my 2 year old had the poops. still not sure if it was viral or something he ate. I hope your kids get better before you go! Try elderberry juice!!!

So all in all, we had a wonderful time, but the crowds just totally threw me when I was expecting so much less! Now I am planning our next trip for hurricane season, in fact the anniversary week of Irma. Predicted numbers are all 2's and 3's, guess we will see!!!! My mom was able to get that week on DVC no problem at her home resort. And hey, we are from California, and it wouldn't be the worst thing to be stuck in a hurricane at Disney World!

26907402_10212851000283980_6716693915651039040_n.jpg

I would like to know, *** is up with the park being so empty at night???? I took this at 12:01 Saturday lol. Because by the time I got my camera out and turned the flash off, it moved a minute, darnit! But we were flabberghasted at the emptiness each late night. Disneyland is just not like that! These walkways that you could barely maneuver during the day were deserted. It was almost creepy! Is this how summer nights are? Sign me UP!

DUDE!!!! My first AK day went from a predicted 2 to an 8!!!! I too had tracked historical days and they are usually so much closer, this month was SO WRONG and I don't get it!

Our last day in park was Thursday, spent the day at MK. It was pretty empty because of the cold, but space was down ALL DAY, which made it feel more packed since it wasn't eating up people. There were tons of South American tourists, my Chilean friend says because it's their summer and school is out. Lot's of families and tour groups.

Still praying that we are in the clear, but of course watch we get home and catch it from school. I didn't see anyone acting sick the entire time we were there, maybe a few coughs that seemed more like a smokers cough. We barely sanitized the entire time, but we did wash hands at least 20 times a day because of all the potty breaks. The kids all caught a little cold towards the end, cough, no fever, and my 2 year old had the poops. still not sure if it was viral or something he ate. I hope your kids get better before you go! Try elderberry juice!!!

So all in all, we had a wonderful time, but the crowds just totally threw me when I was expecting so much less! Now I am planning our next trip for hurricane season, in fact the anniversary week of Irma. Predicted numbers are all 2's and 3's, guess we will see!!!! My mom was able to get that week on DVC no problem at her home resort. And hey, we are from California, and it wouldn't be the worst thing to be stuck in a hurricane at Disney World!

I was there the week of Labor Day last year and I have to say, the crowds were awesome. I'm not sure if people canceling due to Irma had anything to do with it, but I certainly would go again during that time, hurricane or not.

We were gonna do 8th to 15th. My girls birthdays are the 5th and 19th, and our anniversary is the 14th, so we figured we would save on their big party and go to Disney instead! Also food and wine! Win/win!

Fingers crossed for you. The silver lining is that now that they have had the flu, they’re not going to get it at WDW.

26907402_10212851000283980_6716693915651039040_n.jpg

I would like to know, *** is up with the park being so empty at night???? I took this at 12:01 Saturday lol. Because by the time I got my camera out and turned the flash off, it moved a minute, darnit! But we were flabberghasted at the emptiness each late night. Disneyland is just not like that! These walkways that you could barely maneuver during the day were deserted. It was almost creepy! Is this how summer nights are? Sign me UP!

That pic is awesome. Everyone with kids is in bed. LOL! Summer nights are busy due to the extreme heat of the day. Many will head to the parks in the late afternoon and stay into the night to get the sweet sweet relief from the sun.

We are chugging the elderberry syrup!

Fingers crossed for you. The silver lining is that now that they have had the flu, they’re not going to get it at WDW.

Except my kids found a way to have Flu B! The doctor said 95% of cases he's seeing are Flu A so unfortunately my kids are still able to get Flu A. I'm hoping for the best though!

Don't worry, this is already done all over Asia!
So, the wait times are back to looking pretty crazy today. I'm guessing the actual CL will be way above predicted again. Yesterday gave me hope. Today, not so much! LOL

So, the wait times are back to looking pretty crazy today. I'm guessing the actual CL will be way above predicted again. Yesterday gave me hope. Today, not so much! LOL

Say it isn’t so! I thought we were in the clear after yesterday. And today is even a mid week day....

The Pro Bowl game is going on this Sunday in Orlando, that might be impacting crowd levels for this weekend, there are several special events happening at WWoS because of the game

The Pro Bowl game is going on this Sunday in Orlando, that might be impacting crowd levels for this weekend, there are several special events happening at WWoS because of the game
Think that'll impact the parks on the day of the game too? On Sunday? What about next week?

For those going to WDW soon, just remember to keep washing your hands. My son and wife just returned from a week at PORS, and they brought back the "flu" as a souvenir! And, they also commented that it was much busier then they anticipated, and those large tour groups can get pretty unruly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter