Anyone have there 1st grader take CogAt test?

This is so weird!

I just found out DS is taking the CoGat on the day we are leaving for WDW. GRRR. I told the teacher several times that we would be going on those dates and TODAY it dawns on her that is when the testing is. I am going to give her the benefit of the doubt since she is one of the top teachers in the school.

Oh well, luckily he is going to be in class in the morning. Actually, I guess they test over three days, probably only in the morning. We are leaving on the last day.

Not sure how well he will test knowing he is going to be in Orlando in a few hours.

What can I do? It is too late to change everything.....

WOW, this thread was from a year ago and you all are responding! well, my daughter did take it. Did well, but sadly we pulled her from the private school last april. She is in a fab school that suppliments her work and gives her more challanging work. Sadly I found that in the state of AZ schools are not required to follow the cogat scoring or give gifted schooling until grade 3. She was tested the first week of school and was found to know 79% of 2nd grade material before work even started! so she did better then the state average testing done at the end of 2nd grade year! That is excellent, but yet again no school is required to give any special work till grade 3. There are a few magnet schools but since the economy is in the dumps they were pushed back for starting, now they are saying 2010! Anyways, she is getting work now that is challenging. She has a great school that understands her abilities and cares. She is in the top of her class for reading and math. Her writing is not good, she is a lefty and struggles to have "perfect" hand writing. But she is able to put her thoughts on paper well and make her point known.
I want to thank everyone for there thoughts on this. We did do a tiny bit of preperation, but in the end it is not what they know, it is how they think. She is extremly smart and I am proud of her and hope she will use her "smarts" for something succesful in life.
oh and yes she still does "extra" work at home. I keep her mind active and pushed
Lori

Lori,

I have to agree with you that AZ schools are seriously lacking in quality education. I gave up my career so I can homeschool my DD. She was reading at 18 months and doing math at 2 years. She just turned 6 and would be in K -- I've gone to so many schools to ask about her being bumped up to at least 1st and no one will do it. Private schools are reluctant to do so b/c they know that kids may end up in public school and the public school system came down hard on 'excelling' private schools several years ago. Seems that too many people were putting their kids in private schools for pre-k, K and 1 and then moving to public school and the kids were bored out of their minds b/c it was quite remedial.

With homeschooling I can teach her what she needs rather than waiting b/c it's not in the state curriculum standards. I looked at the Grade 1 standards for AZ and the only thing my DD couldn't do was count money -- b/c we haven't done that and she isn't that interested in it. For now that is.

I feel for you that you have to continuously swim against the tide with the AZ School system. AZ does have a few exceptional school for middle/high school (they are in Tucson). Although, BASIS is here in N. Scottsdale and they are middle/high school.

Best wishes to you!

thank you very much. that site is great!
I actually was able to find a site that offered the sample tests. so I may start there. that may at least make her feel at ease about how the questions look. That way when she gets there it is not a shock to see the type of questions and how they are put. It will be like " I remember these!" one less stress I think for the day for her.

Hi there, I was wondering where you found the sample test for the cats gifted program.

I stumbled on your thread because my DD just took the CogAT. I had some info you might appreciate and I tried to PM you but I couldn't because of the 10 post minimum. Any way around this?

I stumbled on your thread because my DD just took the CogAT. I had some info you might appreciate and I tried to PM you but I couldn't because of the 10 post minimum. Any way around this?

my ebay id is in my signature you can contact me through there..... or post 10 posts real quick.. like hello, and then another hello etc till you get to 10 posts

Just wanted to share...

I was Googling for info on the CogAT tests, and what to my wondering eyes should appear but a link to a post from the DIS Board!

:laughing:

Where I already spend most of my time on-line!

The first thing I thought was: Of course! Why didn't I think to post my question on the DIS?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter