Anyone have there 1st grader take CogAt test?

In this instance, a grade skip was needed, and it was the best our public school could do. It had nothing to do with gifted vs. bright child. Many great schools lack the funding to serve the gifted students, and a grade skip is one of those no cost options. Along with the grade skip, she also goes for accelerated math and Language Arts, so a grade skip wasn't the magic answer. I have always felt that gifted kids should not get more work just more appropriate work. Giftedness is not a punishment for doing the easy school stuff and then more worksheets for home. For public schools, this is hard to accomplish and our school does the best they can for us.

DD has a late Bday as well (Nov.) and I was worried about the social aspects of a grade skip but once again I was amazed that she got along with older classmates better than her old class. I also looked at Stanford, BTW, and it looks like a great program. We are also considering programs through Midwest Academic Talent Search, which are similar but less in cost. Have you looked into the Young Scholars program? I have heard great things about it and DD qualifies with her IQ scores, but I'm still gathering information what all is involved with it.

So while I agree with your thoughts on the grade skip in general, in our case it was a good move.

It definitely sounds like grade skipping worked best for your DD, in our case we thought it might make the situation more Difficult. I was concerned about DD graduating at 16.

I wish DD could participate in a Talent Search but unfortunately we are limited because we live overseas.

It definitely sounds like grade skipping worked best for your DD, in our case we thought it might make the situation more Difficult. I was concerned about DD graduating at 16.

I wish DD could participate in a Talent Search but unfortunately we are limited because we live overseas.

Oh sorry, I didn't look at your location. I have also thought about early graduation, but it is "the lesser of two evils" type of situation for us.

This has been such an interesting thread for me to read! It makes me thankful my district has such a good gifted program. I do think it could be better (foreign language offered in the elementary program), but at least they test all kids and have a program in place. The teachers in the classroom also have to have a gifted/talented endorsement.

About grade skipping - Again thankful my child doesn't have to do this - 3rd grader, and as of Oct. testing, reading at 12th grade level and doing 5th grade math- I just don't think maturity wise he would do well with this. BUT, my cousin skipped a grade and then graduated with a lot of college credits. He will be graduating next week after 3 1/2 years of college. He is only 20! He will be going to med school in the fall. My aunt always said he would be doing some sort of graduate school because she didn't want her 20 year old out in the real world yet!:rotfl: I don't see him a lot, but he seems very well adjusted - easy to talk to, has lots of friends, was in a fraternity, and likes to watch football!

This has been such an interesting thread for me to read! It makes me thankful my district has such a good gifted program. I do think it could be better (foreign language offered in the elementary program), but at least they test all kids and have a program in place. The teachers in the classroom also have to have a gifted/talented endorsement.

About grade skipping - Again thankful my child doesn't have to do this - 3rd grader, and as of Oct. testing, reading at 12th grade level and doing 5th grade math- I just don't think maturity wise he would do well with this. BUT, my cousin skipped a grade and then graduated with a lot of college credits. He will be graduating next week after 3 1/2 years of college. He is only 20! He will be going to med school in the fall. My aunt always said he would be doing some sort of graduate school because she didn't want her 20 year old out in the real world yet!:rotfl: I don't see him a lot, but he seems very well adjusted - easy to talk to, has lots of friends, was in a fraternity, and likes to watch football!

I think the decision is always what is best for the chil that is skipping the grade. Some do well and others do not have the maturity forit. YOu have to what is best.
Good for him to go to med school at 20! he will get a jump on that career! Med school than internship, he is lucky he will be done by the time he is 30! His mom must be supe proud
Lori

OP, you're lucky that you have some school choice. We have none, not even within our district (although we have several elementary schools). NJ has schools by township, many states have county schools, which offer more choices.

I'm sure our kids would do fine in public school, but we chose private for the wide range of experiences and small class size. DH & I were the typical high achieving kids early on, well-behaved, good grades, no trouble. Our DS and now DD are different. We don't know if DS is gifted, certainly he isn't in the traditional subject - math - but he is artistic and has a different way of thinking. His school offers variety and it suits him well. We hope it will work for DD also. Just don't ask me how much it costs. :)

OP, you're lucky that you have some school choice. We have none, not even within our district (although we have several elementary schools). NJ has schools by township, many states have county schools, which offer more choices.

I'm sure our kids would do fine in public school, but we chose private for the wide range of experiences and small class size. DH & I were the typical high achieving kids early on, well-behaved, good grades, no trouble. Our DS and now DD are different. We don't know if DS is gifted, certainly he isn't in the traditional subject - math - but he is artistic and has a different way of thinking. His school offers variety and it suits him well. We hope it will work for DD also. Just don't ask me how much it costs. :)

It is that cost that kills me. There is only so long the stress of that payment every month can I keep. I feel for you on the costs believe me.

Did anyone see that US News and World Report has done an issue on the top High Schools?

Did anyone see that US News and World Report has done an issue on the top High Schools?

Yes, our school was listed among the top schools. I don't like all of their criteria used, and the data used for our school was from 2004-2005 school year, so it isn't most up to date. It does give some indication on the school's performance though. What did you think of it?

Hi Lori,

I was looking for information about the COGAT test preparation and I feel very frustrated for the lack of information. I read your discussion with other people and I feel like is nothing wrong about wanting to prepare the child for the test. Can you please let me know what did you do with your daughter? did she pass the test? My daughter will take it next month and I have no idea what to do. I really appreciate any feedback

Regards,

Osmirelly

Something to consider is just because it is the "best" school in your state on paper, I assume you are basing this on test scores, does not always make it a proper fit for a child. My daugther once attended a private school considered one of the best in the area, and yet we found that she just didn't click with her teacher that year and that it was hard to forge new friendships with kids that had known each other for a while.

You may want to take a look at GreatSchools.NET even the "Best" Schools have issues.

I have used Greatschool.net and while it is definitely helpful there are things it lacks. When we chose to move out of one Illinois district into another I used GS.net as a guide. While the school district I moved into had great test scores at the time that all went down the tubes and I failed to look at the overall picture of the school (extra curriculars, college prep) which aren't all mentioned on that site. It's definitely a good guide to start with though but I'd encourage anyone looking into school districts to be thorough and look at EVERYTHING the school has to offer before making a final decision.

I have all those same thoughts you did about moving. Private education is excellent, but the tuition is killer! My brother complains he has to pay $2000 a kid a year ! HA I would love that price! mine is $9000 per kid a year.

I have plan B and a Plan C. Plan D is to keep her in the school and do what I have to to keep her there!
Lori

YIKES...that's alot of money! We were in Illinois which also ranks at the bottom (it's 49th out of 50th last I checked) in academics and funding from the state. We lived right on the border of Indiana so I was constantly comparing what my friends' kids in Indiana were doing to what my neighbors' kids were doing in the Illinois public schools. Not even a comparison in my opinion. Illinois kindergarten was doing what my dd was already learning in preschool. We made the decision to move if we could get out and if not I'd drive 30 minutes (on a good traffic day) to Indiana for private catholic school. Luckily tuition was only going to be 2400 for each child. But in the end we were able to move so we are in a good public district. We still have the decision to make this year whether we do private or public but at least I know my options are good on both counts.

Good for you doing the best thing for your child! I have a DD5 who is in Kindergarten at a public school (and a good public school that both DH and I went to). No private school around with out a long drive. MY DD5 went to a great preschool and everything she is learing at Kindergarten she already was taught in Preschool. Before school started she was reading 150+ sight words. I find out that the Kindergarten they only teach 26. She knows 250+ currently. She loves school, which I am thankful for. I am trying to get my hands on any book I can to help challenge her. We do a different subject each night (math, History, Geography, science). If she remember it (which she does) that is great. I know many people that complain that they are "too busy" to teach their kids preschool. They say that is why we send them to Preschool. I feel as parents we need to do our part as well with the teachers. Which we have done since she was an infant and now will continue while she is in a public school

My questions: How can I see what reading level my DD5 is at? What are some other things I can read about or have DD5 do?

I did alot of research into home school curriculum so right now we supplement dd's preschool curriculum with kindergarten workbooks which she is easily breezing through. We have saxon books which I have yet to start (1st grade). I do site words (like you) and will be starting computer programs for reading and math after our disney trip. My dd is a spounge...she is all about learning. If I was you I'd take a look at home school websites and/or forums and just start reading about what other people do at home with their kids. What curriculum is used and then take a look at the books. I ordered mine from Amazon and Barnes & Nobles. My dd only knows about 10 site words (she struggles more with reading) but is breezing right through kindergarten math right on her way to starting saxon's 1st grade math. My dd loves to be challenged and has a passion for learning so no matter what school we choose for her we'll also be supplementing at home to keep her challenged. I find my dd is way ahead of my friends' kids just because we work with her at home (alot of parents I talk with are kind of taken aback that I've started site words with her already...they think I'm pushing too hard). I don't think she's gifted by any means...she is bright and likes to learn so because of that we feel it is our duty to teach her all she wants to know. Now if only my 3 yo boy would be that interested :rotfl2:

I did alot of research into home school curriculum so right now we supplement dd's preschool curriculum with kindergarten workbooks which she is easily breezing through. We have saxon books which I have yet to start (1st grade). I do site words (like you) and will be starting computer programs for reading and math after our disney trip. My dd is a spounge...she is all about learning. If I was you I'd take a look at home school websites and/or forums and just start reading about what other people do at home with their kids. What curriculum is used and then take a look at the books. I ordered mine from Amazon and Barnes & Nobles. My dd only knows about 10 site words (she struggles more with reading) but is breezing right through kindergarten math right on her way to starting saxon's 1st grade math. My dd loves to be challenged and has a passion for learning so no matter what school we choose for her we'll also be supplementing at home to keep her challenged. I find my dd is way ahead of my friends' kids just because we work with her at home (alot of parents I talk with are kind of taken aback that I've started site words with her already...they think I'm pushing too hard). I don't think she's gifted by any means...she is bright and likes to learn so because of that we feel it is our duty to teach her all she wants to know. Now if only my 3 yo boy would be that interested

(bolds added are mine)
I hate to do it, but it is driving me insane. sight words, not site. I'll give you a pass on the 'spounge' because I'll assume that is a typo, but 3 times wrong on site, I can't let pass.

site => position, location
sight => the instance of seeing

Its terrific that you are helping your daughter learn sight words. I know I'm being a bit AR, but I can't help it.

---------------

btw, remember this thread was started over a year ago.

I was looking for information about the COGAT test preparation and I feel very frustrated for the lack of information. I read your discussion with other people and I feel like is nothing wrong about wanting to prepare the child for the test. Can you please let me know what did you do with your daughter? did she pass the test? My daughter will take it next month and I have no idea what to do. I really appreciate any feedback

Regards,

Osmirelly

FYI: this thread is from a year ago and the OP may not read it anymore.

As far as Cogat, the test prep info is hard to find on purpose. It is not something you study for, as the test it designed to see what level your child is at. Test prep can artificially raise scores. What you can do, is discuss test taking in general, have your child get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast. Encourage your child to do their best and reduce any test taking anxiety. And remember, one test isn't the end all to all assessments. If your child has a hard time for any reason, you can retest later. HTH!

That was fun - reading what I wrote a year ago! My DD did take the tests (and now I know what they are - NNAT, TONI, and SAGES), and she did get into the gifted program. Her scores were definitely higher than I expected!:lmao: Like my older child, I did nothing to prepare her. In fact, I forgot to even tell her what day the first one was! She thought they were fun.

I would just have your child get a good night sleep and relax!

Oh sorry, I didn't look at your location. I have also thought about early graduation, but it is "the lesser of two evils" type of situation for us.

Sorry to go briefly OT...My dd will graduate at 16 in 2010. She's a junior now. So if you want to get a little insight, PM me! (If it helps, we don't regret grade-skipping, even though it was just a temporary solution.)

As for the CoGAT, this same child did really quite average on it. She does not do written tests well at all. Afterward, we took her to a psychologist for independent testing. THe results shocked us, but explained a LOT. Since there was such a discrepancy between that and the CoGAT results, though, we then drove far, to a reknowned psychologist. The CoGAT was quite inaccurate.

(bolds added are mine)
I hate to do it, but it is driving me insane. sight words, not site. I'll give you a pass on the 'spounge' because I'll assume that is a typo, but 3 times wrong on site, I can't let pass.

site => position, location
sight => the instance of seeing

Its terrific that you are helping your daughter learn sight words. I know I'm being a bit AR, but I can't help it.

---------------

btw, remember this thread was started over a year ago.

Thanks for the spell check lesson :rolleyes1 and yes 'spounge' was a typo :rolleyes1

This also ignores the whole issue of the family needing to participate in the educational process. If a child isn't being stimulated enough, there are many, many more interesting things a family can do rather than just increase the homework load, as many "gifted" programs do.

I need more info here - can help me or give me a web site? Do you mean things like museums and zoos or something more?

Great thread.

Here's an interesting web site on grade skipping (I know a parent who read this info and then had her child tested successfully for skipping a grade)...

nationdeceived.org

(I don't know how to multi-quote!)

I forgot to add - DD8 has taken the Cogat twice (once in K, when she qualified for the GT program, and again this is past September in 3rd), and I still have no idea what it is. Sorry that I can't help!

I do remember one thing - after she took the Cogat (and some other test) in K, she was retested verbally. I think that the testers understand (or should) that these little ones aren't practiced at test taking.

And I'm trying to keep testing low key in her eyes. I don't want her stressed about tests for which she can't study. Just food for thought.

I need more info here - can help me or give me a web site? Do you mean things like museums and zoos or something more?

Great thread.

I'll try to give examples from my kids' school. In science and social studies they study the same topics as the other classes, but their teachers go deeper. For example, first grade just got done doing a community unit. My DD's class compared communities past and present, went to a living history museum, researched the Pilgrim community, and did projects on their own family traditions. They did lots of writing!

My son is in fourth. Indiana history is taught in fourth. The textbook is way too easy for their class so the teacher supplements with a lot of higher level reading/activities. In science they do a lot of independent research, sharing, and hands-on activities on the topic they are studying.

Both teachers do a lot of individualizing in reading so the kids are reading at their correct level. The first grade teacher is using no textbooks. The fourth grade teacher does do some things with the fifth grade textbook, but the kids also have a lot of other reading materials.

Great thread.

We follow our kid's interests. DD loves to go to the National History Museum, Science center, library etc. If she wants to learn about a topic, I find websites, we do science experiments or however she wants to pursue it. This can all be done without the schools, but some schools are willing to accelerate learning in many ways.

You can also find mentors/experts once you get to a point where you might need one.

I think the point is that school isn't the only place to learn. Also, more challenge for a gifted child doesn't mean more homework just work at the appropriate level.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter