Anyone have there 1st grader take CogAt test?

I feel obliged to respond here.

OP, I did not intend to be critical. When I re-read my post, I do not believe it was negatively written or judgmental (sp?). I just know from our experience that sometimes the 'best' school is not the 'best school for your child'. Don't lose sight of that fact.

There is a reason that the tests aren't readily available -- they don't want the children to have 'practiced'. It sounds like the OP's DD isn't stressed about the testing... that is great!

We just moved into a new school district and I originally wanted our DD tested for the gifted pull-out program. I then found out that it is in lieu of art and music... two things that she loves and two things I believe are important for social development and integrating into a new school.

Remember, if it doesn't happen this year, you can still try for next...

good luck

I feel obliged to respond here.

OP, I did not intend to be critical. When I re-read my post, I do not believe it was negatively written or judgmental (sp?). I just know from our experience that sometimes the 'best' school is not the 'best school for your child'. Don't lose sight of that fact.

There is a reason that the tests aren't readily available -- they don't want the children to have 'practiced'. It sounds like the OP's DD isn't stressed about the testing... that is great!

We just moved into a new school district and I originally wanted our DD tested for the gifted pull-out program. I then found out that it is in lieu of art and music... two things that she loves and two things I believe are important for social development and integrating into a new school. We didn't push for testing, but she has been recommended for testing. We are 'talking' about what makes sense. (btw, we are in a top 5 school district in our state)

Remember, if it doesn't happen this year, you can still try for next...

good luck

That is true, if she does not make it this year, there is always next.
(btw we are testing into the "BEST" school system in our state)

It is true that we have to do what is best for our child and we feel this is at the moment. you never know what the future will hold, so for now this works for us.

Lori

That is true, if she does not make it this year, there is always next.
(btw we are testing into the "BEST" school system in our state)

It is true that we have to do what is best for our child and we feel this is at the moment. you never know what the future will hold, so for now this works for us.

Lori

Something to consider is just because it is the "best" school in your state on paper, I assume you are basing this on test scores, does not always make it a proper fit for a child. My daugther once attended a private school considered one of the best in the area, and yet we found that she just didn't click with her teacher that year and that it was hard to forge new friendships with kids that had known each other for a while.

You may want to take a look at GreatSchools.NET even the "Best" Schools have issues.

These are the words I used with my son three years ago - "You are going to go take a test to see which school is best for you next year." He had no idea it was for a gifted program. He also had never taken a test in his life and did fine. I will be using these same words with my DD next month. It would be easier if my kids were in the same school (the gifted class is in a different school than we should go to), I want her where she is supposed to be. My son's class has had two drop out because they were too stressed. The tests that our school district uses are nonverbal so even an ESL or nonreader would test into the G/T class if they had the ability. They also test all kindergartners so no one is left behind. Too often g/t kids are not recognized and then do not work up to their potential. So obviously, you need to advocate for your child but remember the tests are designed to find the g/t kids so don't you stress too much about it either!! Relax, and keep doing what you are doing!!

Thank you for the advice.
yep I have gone to a ton of schools and toured etc. The school she goes to now is fabulous and is private. But putting 3 kids in next year will be over $20,000. and that is not an option anymore. and how do you choose which to go. so we are trying to get into the next best thing for us.
yep searched great schools. it is not just the scores, I have toured great scoring schools, but did not like them.I am looking for a well rounded gifted program.

Thank you for the advice.
yep I have gone to a ton of schools and toured etc. The school she goes to now is fabulous and is private. But putting 3 kids in next year will be over $20,000. and that is not an option anymore. and how do you choose which to go. so we are trying to get into the next best thing for us.
yep searched great schools. it is not just the scores, I have toured great scoring schools, but did not like them.I am looking for a well rounded gifted program.

Sounds like you are doing the best you can under the circumstances. I know when DD changed schools in the middle of 1st grade, she went from a rigorous private school to a great public school district. She was 2 years ahead in math and 1 year ahead in Language Arts. The smaller group instruction and the parental involvement were probably the biggest factors. So even the best public school are hard to compare to good private schools. I'm glad not to have to pay the tuition any more, but it is much more difficult to get the services DD needs (mostly acceleration).

Just in case your DD should get nervous and not meet the criteria, have you thought of plan B? That would be my worry. Does the school accept independent evaluations or testing? That might be another option to try. HTH

I have all those same thoughts you did about moving. Private education is excellent, but the tuition is killer! My brother complains he has to pay $2000 a kid a year ! HA I would love that price! mine is $9000 per kid a year.

I have plan B and a Plan C. Plan D is to keep her in the school and do what I have to to keep her there!
Lori

I have read this thread and while I completely understand that the the OP is concerned about what is "best" for her child. i'm also seeing (from the outside looking in) some elitism here. I may be totally off base here, and this conclusion is strictly on what i have read on this thread. but, i caution you to be prepared just in case your daughter doesn't get into the program you are seeking for her. just because a child is in a "regular" school program as opposed to "the gifted" program does not in any way reflect badly on the child. Many many people are "average" when it comes to test performance but are great contributors to society. I worry that if your child doesn't measure up to your expectations, she may feel that she has disappointed you. this could set her up for a lifetime of self-esteem issues. tread cautiously please.

WOW - Elitism.
well, the only thing I have to say is we live in a school district that is ranked and "good" ( not "Excelling" - or "High achieving in the AZ rankings) in the worst state for educating your children in the US. Many kids that are smart are left in the dust her to cater to the kids that only speak spanish or are struggling with english. which sadly here in AZ is a lot. and quite a bit in our district.
I sent her originally to the school for a great education - not to be elite. If that was the case I would have sent her to the other private schools in the city that have the wealthiest familiest going to them, and are the same price. When she started she was an only child. now we have 3! I am sorry if I come off that way to you. Only those in my situation would truly understand. And her being just average is not something I want for her. She is above - average now and I am trying to keep it that way.
Everyone is so offended by me trying to give my kids the "best" education possible. If you live in a great state that has great schools it is not something you have to worry about. but for AZ parents it is. Many other moms here struggle with the same thing. most just figure to let it be what it is! I do not, I am taking steps to ensure my kids the best education. what they do with it is there choice. I did my part! And honestly if you are here to critisize, go away. I am looking for positive help not negative.
lori

WOW - Elitism.
well, the only thing I have to say is we live in a school district that is ranked and "good" ( not "Excelling" - or "High achieving in the AZ rankings) in the worst state for educating your children in the US. Many kids that are smart are left in the dust her to cater to the kids that only speak spanish or are struggling with english. which sadly here in AZ is a lot. and quite a bit in our district.
I sent her originally to the school for a great education - not to be elite. If that was the case I would have sent her to the other private schools in the city that have the wealthiest familiest going to them, and are the same price. When she started she was an only child. now we have 3! I am sorry if I come off that way to you. Only those in my situation would truly understand. And her being just average is not something I want for her. She is above - average now and I am trying to keep it that way.
Everyone is so offended by me trying to give my kids the "best" education possible. If you live in a great state that has great schools it is not something you have to worry about. but for AZ parents it is. Many other moms here struggle with the same thing. most just figure to let it be what it is! I do not, I am taking steps to ensure my kids the best education. what they do with it is there choice. I did my part! And honestly if you are here to critisize, go away. I am looking for positive help not negative.
lori

Since your child is really smart, she's going to thrive wherever she is. She won't need just the right school to do well in life.

Since your child is really smart, she's going to thrive wherever she is. She won't need just the right school to do well in life.

That is the biggest myth and unfortunately untrue. If you research highly gifted and profoundly gifted children, you may find out how high drop out rates these children have. Many end up not finishing even high school because they are bored from day one and find very little emotional and intellectual stimulation in public schools. There are many brilliant children in this world that without right challenge will never have the opportunities that children who aren't maybe gifted but have been challenged in school and learned work ethic and concentration.

Your attitude is all too common and as a parent of a child who became bored and frustrated at school I can tell you how untrue it is. It's amazing that just by accelerating her education and skipping a grade, a child can turn from hating school to a well adjusted and eager learner. It is hard to imagine this without going through it myself. I look at it as a special need in learning just like any other special need. But unfortunately the funding in public schools is focused on the special needs that require catching up not on the special needs that require acceleration.

she will thrive anywhere that is true. but I want the school that will help her talents and help her to succeed at the level she is at and not bored.

That is the biggest myth and unfortunately untrue. If you research highly gifted and profoundly gifted children, you may find out how high drop out rates these children have. Many end up not finishing even high school because they are bored from day one and find very little emotional and intellectual stimulation in public schools. There are many brilliant children in this world that without right challenge will never have the opportunities that children who aren't maybe gifted but have been challenged in school and learned work ethic and concentration.

Your attitude is all too common and as a parent of a child who became bored and frustrated at school I can tell you how untrue it is. It's amazing that just by accelerating her education and skipping a grade, a child can turn from hating school to a well adjusted and eager learner. It is hard to imagine this without going through it myself. I look at it as a special need in learning just like any other special need. But unfortunately the funding in public schools is focused on the special needs that require catching up not on the special needs that require acceleration.

Thank you very much, you said everything that I wanted to! I agree with everything you said and you understand my need for the right program! Thank you for your support!
Lori

I agree with your post except for this, I don't believe skipping ahead a grade is necessarily the best solution...maybe this is where the bright child vs gifted child comes in. A bright child, one that is just a grade or so ahead of her peer group may find simply moving to the next grade enough to challenge her. Try that with a truly gifted child and you may find that she is once again bored, because the gifted child will absorb the material much quicker than the students in the higher grade leaving her once again bored. This coupled with and already late Bday (Aug) are the reasons we chose not to accelerate our DD(11). Instead we have found that supplementing at home (Stanford has some great online programs) and keeping her involved in a variety of extra curricular programs has served her well.

I agree with your post except for this, I don't believe skipping ahead a grade is necessarily the best solution...maybe this is where the bright child vs gifted child comes in. A bright child, one that is just a grade or so ahead of her peer group may find simply moving to the next grade enough to challenge her. Try that with a truly gifted child and you may find that she is once again bored, because the gifted child will absorb the material much quicker than the students in the higher grade leaving her once again bored. This coupled with and already late Bday (Aug) are the reasons we chose not to accelerate our DD(11). Instead we have found that supplementing at home (Stanford has some great online programs) and keeping her involved in a variety of extra curricular programs has served her well.

that is something that is always a rough topic. To advance a grade or not. There are always many factors and that is why there is always many school teachers, counselors and parents opinions in the decision. It is one that is never a yes or a no that it will end up being the best thing for the child. YOu can pass a grade for a kid but then still have to supliment. It has to be what is best for the child and family. Every parent does what they think are best and that decision is never an easy one. if there is truly a "gifted" program at a school they do not like to advance usually. It just depends on so many factors on the subject of skipping.
Lori

I have several family members who teach at a gifted school, and my DH went to one, so I do see what your are saying.

But we can't tell if this child is truly gifted or just really smart.

There are plenty of smart kids who do perfectly well in regular old schools.

And I agree with an earlier poster who said it's not necessarily about skipping grades. My DH is one of those out of the box thinkers who would have been miserable at a regular school.

But most kids are not truly gifted. Merely bright...or ins some situations just plain pushed...Reading a couple of grade levels higher, or doing division does not make a child gifted. My son is in 8th grade and doing college calc right now. He isn't gifted, however...just loves math...the freak.

This also ignores the whole issue of the family needing to participate in the educational process. If a child isn't being stimulated enough, there are many, many more interesting things a family can do rather than just increase the homework load, as many "gifted" programs do.

Stressing a reasonably bright child over this stuff is beyond cruel. And WILL ruin learning for her.

Good for you doing the best thing for your child! I have a DD5 who is in Kindergarten at a public school (and a good public school that both DH and I went to). No private school around with out a long drive. MY DD5 went to a great preschool and everything she is learing at Kindergarten she already was taught in Preschool. Before school started she was reading 150+ sight words. I find out that the Kindergarten they only teach 26. She knows 250+ currently. She loves school, which I am thankful for. I am trying to get my hands on any book I can to help challenge her. We do a different subject each night (math, History, Geography, science). If she remember it (which she does) that is great. I know many people that complain that they are "too busy" to teach their kids preschool. They say that is why we send them to Preschool. I feel as parents we need to do our part as well with the teachers. Which we have done since she was an infant and now will continue while she is in a public school

My questions: How can I see what reading level my DD5 is at? What are some other things I can read about or have DD5 do?

Good for you doing the best thing for your child! I have a DD5 who is in Kindergarten at a public school (and a good public school that both DH and I went to). No private school around with out a long drive. MY DD5 went to a great preschool and everything she is learing at Kindergarten she already was taught in Preschool. Before school started she was reading 150+ sight words. I find out that the Kindergarten they only teach 26. She knows 250+ currently. She loves school, which I am thankful for. I am trying to get my hands on any book I can to help challenge her. We do a different subject each night (math, History, Geography, science). If she remember it (which she does) that is great. I know many people that complain that they are "too busy" to teach their kids preschool. They say that is why we send them to Preschool. I feel as parents we need to do our part as well with the teachers. Which we have done since she was an infant and now will continue while she is in a public school

My questions: How can I see what reading level my DD5 is at? What are some other things I can read about or have DD5 do?

The best thing is to ask the teachers to do a reading test. some use computer programs and others use standard testing. ask the school, they should help you.
have you tried the Saxon Math program? Ask the teacher the math and reading programs they do in 1st grade at that school. and start there at home. that is what we did. We have been working nov and now with multiplication. she can do 1, 2, 3, without a blink. fours there is a thinking delay, but I am sure by new years she will be fine. We especially take the time on long trips (20min) in the car to do match or reading exercises. there are always signs all around that help!
lori

In this instance, a grade skip was needed, and it was the best our public school could do. It had nothing to do with gifted vs. bright child. Many great schools lack the funding to serve the gifted students, and a grade skip is one of those no cost options. Along with the grade skip, she also goes for accelerated math and Language Arts, so a grade skip wasn't the magic answer. I have always felt that gifted kids should not get more work just more appropriate work. Giftedness is not a punishment for doing the easy school stuff and then more worksheets for home. For public schools, this is hard to accomplish and our school does the best they can for us.

DD has a late Bday as well (Nov.) and I was worried about the social aspects of a grade skip but once again I was amazed that she got along with older classmates better than her old class. I also looked at Stanford, BTW, and it looks like a great program. We are also considering programs through Midwest Academic Talent Search, which are similar but less in cost. Have you looked into the Young Scholars program? I have heard great things about it and DD qualifies with her IQ scores, but I'm still gathering information what all is involved with it.

So while I agree with your thoughts on the grade skip in general, in our case it was a good move.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter