• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone getting an iPad?

When I went to pickup my iPad I wanted to use a $500 APPLE gift card that DW had gotten me. When I got to the APPLE store I was told I could use cash and credit only. They were not accepting gift cards for the iPad. Anything else in the store was fine, but I couldn't use my APPLE gift card on an APPLE iPad. :sad2:

I had to return the gift card and have Apple cut me a check and send it out in the mail. Then I payed full price for the iPad. It made no sense!

Yes you can download podcast on it. Just go to the Itunes store on the I pad and then podcasts and download them.

How do we get music and podcasts from the iPad to the iPod?

The iPad is to big to put in a pocket to take on a walk!

How do we get music and podcasts from the iPad to the iPod?

The iPad is to big to put in a pocket to take on a walk!

Unless you jailbreak the iPad, you can't transfer from the iPad to the iPod.

Unless you jailbreak the iPad, you can't transfer from the iPad to the iPod.

That's not really accurate. You do it through iTunes. Anything you buy through the itunes store on the ipad can be offloaded to iTunes and synced to your iPods. As far as I know, podcasts have to be downloaded in iTunes first.

The only way to get your own created mp3s on the iPad in the first place is through iTunes or a third party software like winamp. So personal music would be in the iTunes library.

My iPhone and iPad are synced with the same music and podcasts and many of the same apps and video.

Now if the iPod is synced to a different computer iTunes would first have to erase it, however there are a ton of 3rd party software allowing you to copy your iPod items to the local computer. You can transfer them all off and import into iTunes.

So yes direct transfer over wireless isn't possible, but there are many ways to put the same info on both iPod and iPad.

That's not really accurate. You do it through iTunes. Anything you buy through the itunes store on the ipad can be offloaded to iTunes and synced to your iPods. As far as I know, podcasts have to be downloaded in iTunes first.

The only way to get your own created mp3s on the iPad in the first place is through iTunes or a third party software like winamp. So personal music would be in the iTunes library.

My iPhone and iPad are synced with the same music and podcasts and many of the same apps and video.

Now if the iPod is synced to a different computer iTunes would first have to erase it, however there are a ton of 3rd party software allowing you to copy your iPod items to the local computer. You can transfer them all off and import into iTunes.

So yes direct transfer over wireless isn't possible, but there are many ways to put the same info on both iPod and iPad.

But to answer Lyn's question....you can not move a podcast (or music) from an iPad to an iPod without a third device.

But to answer Lyn's question....you can not move a podcast (or music) from an iPad to an iPod without a third device.

True... I actually did not realize you can download podcasts directly now. I interpreted her question differently as a question from someone who hasn't used iTunes all that much and may not realize how it works (ie someone else loads her iPod). I guess the natural assumption would be she had a computer with iTunes. Different interpretations, different answers.

I do wish they had wireless syncing though. I hope the rumors of cloud storage turn out to be true. Even better if you can store your own music up there. It would be awesome to have media access anywhere. Even if it is tied to mobile me, I think it would be worth the fee for that feature.

Thanks for working through my question.

We do have a laptop computer at home. We both have our iTunes on it. I do believe the laptop is "sick". It takes half hour to turn on. Then, it mostly works okay. Partner got tired of it not working well, so he got the iPad. (There may be other reasons why he got the iPad. Is is cool! :cool2:)

He thinks the laptop computer is dead. I still think I can fix it somehow. If the laptop truly can't be fixed, then we are out of iTunes - and podcasts! :scared1:

That is what was behind my question. Can't have iTunes without a "regular" computer, right?

I think the plan is we will do our iTunes on our work computers (we are both librarians). I don't really like using work computers for personal use. Then I will work on reformatting the "sick" computer that I am typing on now. Wish me luck!

Thanks for working throught my question.

We do have a laptop computer at home. We both have our iTunes on it. I do believe the laptop is "sick". It takes half hour to turn on. Then, it mostly works okay. Partner got tired of it not working well, so he got the iPad. (There may be other reasons why he got the iPad. Is is cool! :cool2:)

He thinks the laptop computer is dead. I still think I can fix it somehow. If the laptop truly can't be fixed, then we are out of iTunes - and podcasts! :scared1:

That is what was behind my question. Can't have iTunes without a "regular" computer, right?

I think the plan is we will do our iTunes on our work computers (we are both librarians). I don't really like using work computers for personal use. Then I will work on reformatting the "sick" computer that I am typing on now. Wish me luck!

You can have iTunes on an iPad. You can listen to Podcasts on the iPad.

You can not move things from an iPad to an iPod.

Think of it this way........you can download iTunes and all that goes with it on an iPod Touch. You cant move your iTunes from your iPod Touch to you iPod.

Hope that helps.

There is third party software that will allow you to back up your iPod/iPad to your computer. Then transfer everything from your computer to your iPad/iPod.

You can have iTunes on an iPad. You can listen to Podcasts on the iPad.

You can not move things from an iPad to an iPod.

Think of it this way........you can download iTunes and all that goes with it on an iPod Touch. You cant move your iTunes from your iPod Touch to you iPod.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Kevin. You said it best when you said I needed a third device.

I was thinking about switching my bank account so I could get a "free" iTouch to go with my iPod. I understand that will not be a solution.

My solution is to fix the laptop or get a new regular computer.

I am typing this on the iPad and it is kinda cool. But it is (I think) an in-between device. I am afraid we will still need a regular computer.

Loving the way this iPad knows what word I am going to type and puts it in blue for me!

Wondering if I will be able to do dis chat with the iPad tonight...

When I bought my iPad I noticed that they were requiring the purchases to be on a credit or debit card. I thought our money said "This is legal tender for all debts public and private" maybe Apple didn't get that memo.

Anyway, that aside. This thing is the best thing since sliced bread. I answer almost all my emails on it rather than using my laptop. I can't wait for OS 4 so it can run some applications in the background.

I think you and I saw the question in a different way. I interpreted it as moving items directly from theiPad to the iPod. You are correct, however, that you can sync it to a main iTunes and then back to the iPod.

Try these steps with your laptop.
Download the following:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner - CCleaner tool
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx -
Autoruns.

Run Defrag overnight.
Install and run CCleaner - Make sure the "Install Yahoo toolbar" is
unchecked. Leave all the checked ones checked, and check everything
under the Advanced tool. This will take a while. It will erase all
cookies, temp files and caches.

Run the registry fix tool on CCleaner. Say yes when it prompts you to save
a registry copy.

Reboot.

If it is still slow then do the following

Go to Run --> MSCONFIG.
Go to General Tab and click diagnostic startup
Go to Startup tab and disable all.

Reboot and report back if the reboot was fast or slow.

Also, please let me know how much Memory your laptop has and how much free harddrive space and what Antivirus you are currently running. If you have more than one Antivirus, let me know as well. Also let me know if you see a bunch of popups about a virus and clicking a link to buy a new Antivirus program.

We can go from there. Maybe we can save you the rebuild hassle and to save some cash. You may want to buy an external harddrive so you can copy your itunes library and other files off the PC in case you need to rebuild.

Thanks, Kevin. You said it best when you said I needed a third device.

I was thinking about switching my bank account so I could get a "free" iTouch to go with my iPod. I understand that will not be a solution.

My solution is to fix the laptop or get a new regular computer.

I am typing this on the iPad and it is kinda cool. But it is (I think) an in-between device. I am afraid we will still need a regular computer.

Loving the way this iPad knows what word I am going to type and puts it in blue for me!

Wondering if I will be able to do dis chat with the iPad tonight...

I have a I pod touch and when I bought my wife a I POD and I just hooked her IPOD up and it downloaded all my apps and music that I have on my I pod touch. It even did the apps that I had purchased.

Have one (64gb wifi) and love it..use it all the time. My poor Macbook has been neglected lately.

Looks like we're going to be ordering my wife's iPad tomorrow. I guess I just need to pick out a case for her. What does everyone else use?

--DB

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter