• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone getting an iPad?

Sphyrna

DIS Veteran
We have the iPhone Collective already. With today being the release of Apple's iPad, I was curious if anyone was going to get one? Personally, I was really disappointed when I finally heard what the iPad will be. To me it seems like a jumbo iPhone without the phone. I think its biggest limitation is lack of multitasking. Rumor is that will be coming to the iPad and iPhone with the iPhone 4.0 OS release this summer. But in its current form I don't see it being that useful without it. What does everyone here think of it? Will you be rushing out to get one today? Will you get one when they add multitasking?

Not getting one. At least not very soon. I see the use of the iPad, but at this point it's not worth the extra expense for me.

My mother pre-ordered one for my DS15 and he's pacing by the door waiting for UPS. We are an apple family and I'm excited to see it and use it!

Not today.

I've gone back and forth over it. At this point, I've decided against it because it kind of bothers me that they want me to pay for their data plan for the iPhone AND for the iPad. I'm not paying for the same data plan twice.

That's where I stand today. Ask me tomorrow or next week and there may be a different answer.

Not today.

I've gone back and forth over it. At this point, I've decided against it because it kind of bothers me that they want me to pay for their data plan for the iPhone AND for the iPad. I'm not paying for the same data plan twice.

That's where I stand today. Ask me tomorrow or next week and there may be a different answer.

I was thinking the same thing about the data plan. Granted, I haven't checked into the pricing. I can understand why you would need a separate data plan. You could be using your iPhone and iPad at the same time. I think if you have an iPhone you should get a discount on the data plan.

I love technology and gadgets. I love reading the gadget blogs and keeping up on what's new. But it can be a catch-22. There were so many rumors about what the iPad would be. When you compare what it is to what rumors were it could be disappointing. I recall the days when I had a TabletPC. I really enjoyed it but the platform was still in its infancy. I'm hoping with the iPad and also Windows7's touch support the Tablet will finally mature to something more. I'll hold full judgement until more reviews are posted and more importantly OS 4.0 and multitasking. But I think I'd be more tempted to get a netvertible (a netbook with a rotating screen that can be used as a tablet) than the iPad.

I did see a story that a local college here will be giving iPads to their students this fall.

I really want one but I think I am waiting until all the glitches are done. I figure in about a year they will be cheaper and expanded widely... I am looking forward to it. : ) The new technology seems to be awesome.

I'm not getting one. They seem too expensive for what they are. My Macbook was $1000, but it has SOOOOO much more functionality (not to mention, hard drive space) than the iPad.

Hmmm, podcast computer dies the same week the new apple product is launched :thumbsup2

I really want one but I think I am waiting until all the glitches are done. I figure in about a year they will be cheaper and expanded widely... I am looking forward to it. : ) The new technology seems to be awesome.

Agreed. Just like the iPhone. I waited until the iPhone 3G to get mine. I just finished going through Engadget's review. It seems to be in line with my impressions. I like the concept and Apple has done some great things. But they've also done things that make me scratch my head! :confused3 Now I'm not an Apple fanboy. I have an iPhone and iPod, that's it. One thing I don't like about Apple is their "my way or the highway" attitude. How long did we have to wait for copy/paste on the iPhone? We see the same with the iPad and its lack of Flash support. Jobs says surfing the internet on the iPad will be the best browsing experience you've ever had. Only if you don't visit sites that use Flash or don't mind a broken page.

I remember at the iPad announcement Jobs sid they were looking for a product that fit the niche between smartphone and laptop. He stated the netbook tried doing that but it can't do anything really well. Perhaps. But they can do many things well, and at the same time. Add multitasking, a USB port or two, memory card slots, Flash support, and a webcam and then we'll have something.

I'm curious to see what HP's Slate will be and how it will stack up to the iPad.

I personally do not understand all of the hype over the iPad. The product just does not seem worth the money to me. I have a feeling it is just a big deal because it's another Apple product and people have come to trust that their products are cool.

My husband's arrived this morning. However we are currently at the World so it is sitting at the neighbor's for the next week collecting dust! I think if he would have realized the release date before we booked he would have vetoed the trip! :rotfl2:

I have an iPhone. I have an iMac. I don't need a hybrid of the two that doesn't do enough to replace either or even replace a netbook or laptop. The iPad is too much of one thing and not enough of another to be overly useful in its current form. Too big to be portable, not powerful enough to replace a laptop.

I got mine today. I wasn't going to get one, but after using it in the store I was blown away by the speed and convenience of it. It is the ultimate computer lounging device. It as fast on the web as my laptop, but easier to hold and doesn't get as hot. The screen is outstanding and I believe this is the ultimate way to show photos. For my purposes as a creative visual artist/photographer it makes the ultimate portfolio. As you can tell, I'm smitten.

I had my hands on an IPad today at the Apple store. All I can say is it is amazing. In my mind it is a netbook replacement. I will be getting mine as soon as the tax refund shows up.

Nah. I already have a MacBook and an iPhone. I really don't see the need to get an iPad.

Best Buy got it today and I was thinking about. It's too much money for what I would use it for.

Make sure you see the episode of "Modern Family" that was on this week. It explains the "madness" to have it and it's a very funny show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter