Anyone else rethinking riding the Gondolas?

We rode them a bunch on our trip last week. We did jokingly comment that it looked like our car might crash into another when coming into the "station", but thankfully didn't happen while we were on our trip (well to us - it happened the night we left).

I'm so glad it appeared that everyone is ok. As far as the crushed/crash "debate", it's semantics. It would have been scary for sure to be in that car. To me it wasn't crushed, and I'm so thankful, because to me if it was crushed - people wouldn't be tweeting about their experience in that particular car.

I'd ride again but gosh it must have been incredibly unearving to those who were stuck! I'm fairly certain if I was one of the ones stuck for hours, particularly over water - I might not be in a hurry to get on them again.

Yes, "crushed" to me implies something far more serious that people most likely wouldn't be walking away from. This would not meet my definition of crushed.

I'm not rethinking riding them. I would be more apprehensive about riding the monorail than Skyliner. The monorail cars are all well past their intended lifespan.

Stuff happens. The monorail has broken before and people have had to be evacuated. This is just a much bigger system with the 6 miles of cable, so obviously evacuations become more complex. I suppose it comes down to personal preference......if it bothers you or concerns you, do not ride. For those who are willing, they ride regardless of other's decisions. Disney still has its buses, so no one is being forced to ride the skyliner.

If it was really going to be a major failure or hazard, I doubt Disney would have gotten this far along and spent so much money on it. They have far too many brains working on the projects to go into something that presents more risk than reward.

Again, stuff happens.....

You say "Lovingly Bumped" 😗, I say "TOTAL CARNAGE!!!" 😡
Oh, the humanity!!!!

Wow, just goes to show how easily bent out of shape (just like the Skyliner gondolas) people can become about certain points of view, especially if they feel slighted. For heaven sakes, there was damage, regardless of the severity; let's agree about that.

Can't we all just get along?

LOL, no one's going to argue that there was damage. And I highly doubt anyone, including myself is getting "bent out of shape". :banana: But when people use the word "crushed" it might make others assume it was "total carnage!!!"
As far as I've read, there weren't any severe injuries in the cars that had any sort of impact. THANKFULLY!
And as the other person said, she was just quoting someone else. It's all good.
I would just prefer to use words other than "crushed" so people don't assume the worst.
Of course, the whole situation sucks. And anyone involved has my sympathies as I'd never wish that experience on anyone.

Yes, "crushed" to me implies something far more serious that people most likely wouldn't be walking away from. This would not meet my definition of crushed.

Yep!

My fingers (and toes) are crossed they have it figured out and running before our upcoming trip. However, I'm not counting on it. Even if they have it fixed I'm guessing they'll be running tests for a long time before it reopens.

Last edited:
Nope. I was thinking of adding a day to our trip at CBR since the difference in flight fares for 3 for our return would make up the cost of the room. But now I'm just going to stick to our original dates.

Why not still add a day and not ride the gondolas? I don’t understand what one has to do with the other. Yes, I know CBR has a station but the have busses too. Plus you said yourself you would make up the difference in airfare.

I was on the fence about riding them before. I probably won't get on them for a few years. If it runs smoothly after that then I might go on them. I'm claustrophobic and being trapped for 3 hours I would have had a full blown panic attack.

This is my thoughts exactly! I am very claustrophobic and was super nervous about going on them. We travel in the middle of June. I thought as long as they keep moving, I can handle a shady/breezy environment.

I can not handle 3 hours trapped in mid-June!! I always have a little personal fan on me, but even that little fan on high would not last three hours.

It's a nope for me.

Going in January and we are still looking forward to riding it from POP.

Just like I do before riding any Disney transportation will use restroom and have water bottles.

That is my plan too. I hadn’t planned to ride in hot weather, as I am more sensitive to heat than the average person. But I have two trips planned to Pop, one in December and one in January, and I am hoping to be able to ride the gondolas then, especially in January when I will be spending a lot of time at the arts festival at Epcot.

I am not claustrophobic, so just hanging out in a stopped gondola wouldn’t bother me so long as it wasn’t hot. If it happened at night I would probably fall asleep if I was in one alone. 😴

Ok, I’ll bite. Crushed includes a wide range of being squished. I have been “crushed” in the crowd at MK by people pushing their strollers into me on a crowded walkway. The person who was in the car with metal screeching and windows breaking said they felt crushed too, and that is a perfectly valid description. I think people are confusing crushed—which can include both mild and sever crushing—with a more extreme descriptor like smashed

I’m still riding. I mean if it was a slew of incidents, I’d reconsider. But one issue? That doesn’t make it a write off for me.

That said, I always think the airlines that have had one accident are probably the safest right after because they are doing safety checks like mad! :rotfl:

I’m sure Disney with be triple checking everything. Besides, I know that the three hours was definitely a pain, but I’ve been stuck in an elevator for two hours and well... at least there is a view on the gondolas.

As for the ‘what is the definition of crushed’ debate... that I’m not touching with a ten foot pole. :thumbsup2

The person who was IN the gondola disagrees.
OP here to clarify the crushed/squished/lightly damaged debate :mic:. I have trouble quoting on my iPad, but I'm trying to quote post #20. The article Jennasis linked is the one I read before posting which was written by the person IN the actual "squished" gondola who used the word "crushed" multiple times. So I was taking it from his first hand account, but use whichever word you prefer.:)

Last edited:
For me it’s not about the incident really, I don’t worry about the cars slamming together, it’s the thought of being trapped for a length of time for any reason. Until Disney releases a plan to better handle evacs it’s best for my sanity to just skip it. To be fair I skip the monorail whenever possible too. Being stuck on there, packed in like sardines with the awful AC, hasn’t been fun either.

Why not still add a day and not ride the gondolas? I don’t understand what one has to do with the other. Yes, I know CBR has a station but the have busses too. Plus you said yourself you would make up the difference in airfare.

Yeah, it was just an idea I had because of the gushing on T. Bricker's blog. The novelty of the gondolas was what was motivating me to consider it. Without that, not sure if I want to hassle with resort hopping. I'm sure they will figure out a way to make it safe eventually but I'm not counting on it being fully operational anytime soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter