Anyone else completely priced out of the buffets at Disney now?

Last year I went on a magical solo vacation. I booked 7 meals including 3 buffets and a all you care to eat family style meal. When I got the checks I was shocked at the price of the meals. They averaged $50-$60. I had the quick service free dinning with table service upgrade. Even if I had the dinning plan I would still use it on buffets or whatever other meal that looks interesting to me. I would not pay out of pocket with these prices. I feel better using the dinning plan and paying these prices it helps me relax. I enjoyed all my meals and the dining plan took the stress out of it. I do understand these prices are crazy high and Disney shouldnt price so many people out of enjoying a buffet.

Last year I went on a magical solo vacation. I booked 7 meals including 3 buffets and a all you care to eat family style meal. When I got the checks I was shocked at the price of the meals. They averaged $50-$60. I had the quick service free dinning with table service upgrade. Even if I had the dinning plan I would still use it on buffets or whatever other meal that looks interesting to me. I would not pay out of pocket with these prices. I feel better using the dinning plan and paying these prices it helps me relax. I enjoyed all my meals and the dining plan took the stress out of it. I do understand these prices are crazy high and Disney shouldnt price so many people out of enjoying a buffet.

It is supply and demand. WHile I am appalled at the prices, I am not surprised or shocked. I take my DGD to NYC for long weekends, however they are spaced becuase of the cost. It is wicked expensive to eat, meals are pricey, and snacks in the shows could make you faint.

I also use the Dining plan to keep my mouth from falling open when I get the bill for dinner. WE have 7 this trip and I woudl be in a continuous state of shock if I had to pay OOP. Thankfully we got the dining plan for free, or I woudl be fainting with that as well.

It is supply and demand. WHile I am appalled at the prices, I am not surprised or shocked. I take my DGD to NYC for long weekends, however they are spaced becuase of the cost. It is wicked expensive to eat, meals are pricey, and snacks in the shows could make you faint.

I also use the Dining plan to keep my mouth from falling open when I get the bill for dinner. WE have 7 this trip and I woudl be in a continuous state of shock if I had to pay OOP. Thankfully we got the dining plan for free, or I woudl be fainting with that as well.

I find the food in NYC so much better than WDW. I don't mind paying a lot of money for a very good meal. It's paying outrageous prices for mediocre food that bugs me.

I am the same way with the restaurants we go to when we go to New Orleans to eat which is more often, and to New York once or twice a year. It’s more of a dining experience where you linger for several hours.

At Disney it seems like you rush through meals to get to the next thing, fast pass etc.

Last edited:

Not completely priced out, but we already limited our buffet meals to specific "cheaper" restaurants and ones, like Biergarten, where we can get a discount. But my oldest just turned 10 and has a fairly limited diet so I just can't justify $50 or more for a meal for him.

When Be Our Guest announced it was changing to a pre-fixe menu we got one last trip in before having to say goodbye. I can barely stomach to pay those prices for myself much less a kid who eats like a bird.

Our family loves the buffets, we love the variety and in my mind I can eat my way to value :) Decades ago, we would go to the buffets often. Over time my income could not keep pace with the prices. Today we will do a buffet only once in a while.

Disney will continue to pack them in at buffets in any event. Folks will just keep coming.

Current price (with tax included) is Breakfast: Adult: $40.47, Child: $24.50 (the dinner price is the higher price)...of course, at the current price, when you add a 18-20% tip, you will be paying $48/adult and $29, all in. You won't pay less than this price for your trip.

How do you know this. Is there somewhere where this may be looked up. I hate not knowing what the price is and many times I just don't make reservations at places that suggest something like $35-$60. There is just too much not to know.

How do you know this. Is there somewhere where this may be looked up. I hate not knowing what the price is and many times I just don't make reservations at places that suggest something like $35-$60. There is just too much not to know.
There is a thread on here that keeps up with the prices, but the poster who does it has been in Europe I think for two weeks, so its not up to date at the moment. But it usually is very accurate on the pricing.

As a parent with a young family I am appalled. Yes, WDW is a business but there is not enough competition to keep them honest. Universal and WDW basically are a cartel since they tend to keep pricing pretty comparable on many things like parking, food and tickets.

We enjoy WDW but even with having 2 "free before 3 kids" we cannot justify these latest increases on food. We cut out 3 TS meals on our upcoming trip that we have been planning and saving for the last 16months.

My wife and I both work full time at good middle class, middle income jobs. We have always and will always drive to WDW as we live in SC. The "cost of WDW" just doesn't line up with the cost of living in the deep south. Lots of middle class people in the South visit WDW annually or are even pass holders. If you drive, it can be an economical getaway several times of year w/ an AP.

Those days are nearing and end. I read articles about how people in big cities struggling to pay rent with close to 6 figure salaries due to ridiculous housing costs and those salaries and expenses are in another Universe compared to most places in the south. Disney, with ludicrous parking fees and meal prices yet free airport shuttles for flyers clearly doesn't think they need to cater to regional guests.

I think Disney no longer cares about regular or semi-regular guests that drive and that people flying in from big cities with high living costs are their primary target now.

Most people in the south are very price sensitive and most WDW guests drive. I think Disney is just now hitting the breaking point with the food increases. If southerners stop coming, WDW will have killed the golden goose.

We chose not to do any character meals on our last trip. When I weighed the cost vs. the benefit, I just didn't feel like it was worth spending the money. I have limited funds and we are picky eaters--$30 per plate is too much.

Disney of the 90's had concerns about brand and value. Today its just not in the equation and I guess from a business standpoint why not charge the price if people are willing to pay. My problem is I don't think they really are making more money from it. There is so much "spin" with the accounting that I reallly don't think the know what the TRUE numbers are.

I am dreading that day. Which is why I will still do like 5 character meals on my next trip. The kiddo will only be 10 once and if it's an integral part of his childhood at Disney... I'm going to do it. of course I am only paying for 2, not 4 or more.
My daughter is 15 and still loves CP, H & V, 1900 PF & GG. She loves the character meets at meals and she loves breakfast food. We hit breakfast at 10:30-10:45 after we rope drop our favorite rides. Then don't eat again until dinner. I'm glad she hasn't outgrown the characters.

Disney of the 90's had concerns about brand and value. Today its just not in the equation and I guess from a business standpoint why not charge the price if people are willing to pay. My problem is I don't think they really are making more money from it. There is so much "spin" with the accounting that I reallly don't think the know what the TRUE numbers are.

Oh I imagine that "they" do know exactly what their profit from every single restaurant is. How the statements get translated after all is said and done is something else again, but someone there knows the bottom line.

As a parent with a young family I am appalled. Yes, WDW is a business but there is not enough competition to keep them honest. Universal and WDW basically are a cartel since they tend to keep pricing pretty comparable on many things like parking, food and tickets.

We enjoy WDW but even with having 2 "free before 3 kids" we cannot justify these latest increases on food. We cut out 3 TS meals on our upcoming trip that we have been planning and saving for the last 16months.

My wife and I both work full time at good middle class, middle income jobs. We have always and will always drive to WDW as we live in SC. The "cost of WDW" just doesn't line up with the cost of living in the deep south. Lots of middle class people in the South visit WDW annually or are even pass holders. If you drive, it can be an economical getaway several times of year w/ an AP.

Those days are nearing and end. I read articles about how people in big cities struggling to pay rent with close to 6 figure salaries due to ridiculous housing costs and those salaries and expenses are in another Universe compared to most places in the south. Disney, with ludicrous parking fees and meal prices yet free airport shuttles for flyers clearly doesn't think they need to cater to regional guests.

I think Disney no longer cares about regular or semi-regular guests that drive and that people flying in from big cities with high living costs are their primary target now.

Most people in the south are very price sensitive and most WDW guests drive. I think Disney is just now hitting the breaking point with the food increases. If southerners stop coming, WDW will have killed the golden goose.
I think you nailed it. Years ago Disney considered everyone and anything that the consumer could spend their "discretionary income" on as their competition. Today Disney is capitalizing on the sentiment that a Disney trip is more of a necessity and not a choice. Folks keep coming ane coming despite the huge price increases and the reduction in quality over time. Disney wants the "once in a lifetime" guests who will pay anything and who have no past history to compare to. the

Anyone been to Boma in the last few days for dinner? Curious what the dinner price is now.

Apparently not everyone, because I can't find a single breakfast buffet for Dec 16th :rolleyes: We usually will do a big breakfast around 10ish before parties to keep us full until party time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter