Any guess on new itineraries?

I don't know why I'm so excited to see what any new trips will be. We are all set for next summer (DIY Alaska land trip) and the summer after that (DIY upper New England) and summer 2022 looks like the ADB Rhine River Cruise. Just like to consider options, I guess.
It's always nice to dream!! :cloud9:

Sayhello

Nat Geo is a Fox subsidiary and was acquired by Disney in the sale.

Rumors. Just rumors. Again...just rumors....Antartica and Egypt.

The announcement happens today at the press event.

Dates and rates supposedly weeks away.
Both of these trips would be great adds, but I hope they make the ABD trips compelling and different enough from the Nat Geo existing trips. Love Nat Geo so it would have to be pretty special to steer me away from them on trips like these.

Both of these trips would be great adds, but I hope they make the ABD trips compelling and different enough from the Nat Geo existing trips. Love Nat Geo so it would have to be pretty special to steer me away from them on trips like these.
That doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't they just basically re-brand the NatGeo trips?

They already *have* an Egypt itinerary they developed (was it back in 2013?) and just never got to use (well, except for one trip).

Sayhello

Last edited:

That doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't they just basically re-brand the NatGeo trips?

They already *have* an Egypt itinerary the developed and just never got to use (well, except for one trip).

Sayhello

Nat Geo has an Egypt itinerary, but it’s not one of their family trips. Not sure what Nat geo’s age cutoff is, but I assume it’s at least in the teenage years. With a 7 and 11 yo in tow, I’d be excited to see ABD go to Egypt. Right now we’re looking at A&K’s family trip, but I would possibly switch to ABD depending on price and itinerary of course.

They already *have* an Egypt itinerary they developed (was it back in 2013?) and just never got to use (well, except for one trip).

Sayhello

I was more referring to Antarctica as I assume they'd be using the Nat Geo ships??? From pervious discussions I recall one of the barriers to entry for ABD into the Antarctica market was because of the ships. I believe Nat Geo has those (or contracts for them). As for Egypt, I assume they'd also be taking advantage of Nat Geo's contacts in the market. It will be interesting to see if they add Egypt whether they just redo their previous trip or glom on to Nat Geos resources.

Did we ever hear follow up on the announcement? I assume it's over since it's 6 pm on East Coast.

Nat Geo has an Egypt itinerary, but it’s not one of their family trips. Not sure what Nat geo’s age cutoff is, but I assume it’s at least in the teenage years. With a 7 and 11 yo in tow, I’d be excited to see ABD go to Egypt. Right now we’re looking at A&K’s family trip, but I would possibly switch to ABD depending on price and itinerary of course.

Makes total sense. I think you are right about no family trips from Nat Geo but I haven't looked at Egypt in a while. I got distracted by this: https://archaeologicalpaths.com/tours,egypt-royal-tour (with famed archaeologist DR. ZAHI HAWASS).

I was more referring to Antarctica as I assume they'd be using the Nat Geo ships??? From pervious discussions I recall one of the barriers to entry for ABD into the Antarctica market was because of the ships. I believe Nat Geo has those (or contracts for them). As for Egypt, I assume they'd also be taking advantage of Nat Geo's contacts in the market. It will be interesting to see if they add Egypt whether they just redo their previous trip or glom on to Nat Geos resources.

Did we ever hear follow up on the announcement? I assume it's over since it's 6 pm on East Coast.

When we were on the Antarctica trip we were told the ships are Lindblad and they partner with NatGeo. Lindblad has the experience (over 50 years) and the ships, but NatGeo has a more global presence and recognizable name. Both companies share the same vision and passion for adventure, education and conservation. The partnership makes sense. I can see the Disney brand fitting together with NatGeo and Lindblad. With regards to Antarctica, our trip did have more kids than I expected to see but it was over Christmas and New Year's. The following group after us was much older and we didn't see any kids. The Disney name would reach that demographic.

We called National Geo last week and all their Egypt trips for 2020 are SOLD OUT. I am hoping ABD will come up with a similar itinerary to National Geographic's which includes a cruise on the Nile River.

I guess the announcement didn't happen today.

We called National Geo last week and all their Egypt trips for 2020 are SOLD OUT. I am hoping ABD will come up with a similar itinerary to National Geographic's which includes a cruise on the Nile River.

I guess the announcement didn't happen today.

Do Nat Geo trips often sell our this far in advance? Egypt isn't a brand new trip for them. A&K was actually giving heavy discounts on some of their 2019 trips. I think something is afoot....

Something odd is definitely going on. One of the facebook pages run by a travel agent posted this whole thing about a big announcement coming today. then the whole thing got deleted. it's very odd. I wonder if something fell through with new trips they were planning

Do Nat Geo trips often sell our this far in advance? Egypt isn't a brand new trip for them. A&K was actually giving heavy discounts on some of their 2019 trips. I think something is afoot....

I know that our Antarctica trip with NatGeo/Lindblad sold out soon after the booking opened up.

Something odd is definitely going on. One of the facebook pages run by a travel agent posted this whole thing about a big announcement coming today. then the whole thing got deleted. it's very odd. I wonder if something fell through with new trips they were planning

Or they were asked to not announce anything early. We'll soon see!

The ABD and the Nat Geo Egypt trips are similar. They are also at a similar price point. What is ABDs single supplement?

The ABD and the Nat Geo Egypt trips are similar. They are also at a similar price point. What is ABDs single supplement?
The single supplement is an extra 40% over the per person price. (Except for the River Cruises, which is a full 100% ss, unless your ship has a Single Cabin you can book).

Sayhello

I have never booked with Nat Geo before so I have no idea how quickly their trips usually sell out. The lady on the phone just said that they booked up instantly. I would expect the same for ABD's Egypt trips. Nat Geo was offering free economy air or $1000 off per person.

We were booked on the Egypt trip the first year it was offered and it was cancelled. We went to Peru instead which was amazing. We've been waiting for it to be offered again. I don't have a copy of the old itinerary but it looks like it is very close to what was offered back then, minus a camel trek I think.

I'm curious about group size. The M/S Tulip has about 40 cabins. I wonder if that means there will be other non ABD guests on the boat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter