Another Shooting, Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually Detroit has had a problem with streetlamps being stolen and vandalized for scrap metal -- I'm not sure specifically copper.
Yeah theirs is copper because of what the wires are made out of. I mean country-wide copper gets stolen out of homes, etc but the fact that on the side of the highway--the street lamp illuminating the highway goes off because someone stole copper out of it is not a pervasive problem here and at least according to the docu-series it was enough of an issue and a pain there since it was usually done at night so trying to catch the perps was made harder.

My main point was each country has crime, murder, etc despite the laws that are there.

Yeah theirs is copper because of what the wires are made out of. I mean country-wide copper gets stolen out of homes, etc but the fact that on the side of the highway--the street lamp illuminating the highway goes off because someone stole copper out of it is not a pervasive problem here and at least according to the docu-series it was enough of an issue and a pain there since it was usually done at night so trying to catch the perps was made harder.

My main point was each country has crime, murder, etc despite the laws that are there.

I understood the point you were making, and I agree. I'm fairly certain that if eliminating crime and murder were purely a matter of law humanity might have worked out the solution by now.

Actually a large part of the problem in Detroit was exactly lights out on the side of the highway because thieves had vandalized the streetlamps for scrap. It also resulted in many more of the lights going out because of the way the system was integrated.

I would assume his lack of an IL firearms owners permit carries zero weight in TN. And frankly, it shouldn’t unless the feds were to step in & ban him nationwide.
Exactly, I don't have a firearms owners permit for IL. But I do have a carry permit in another state.

Some states have put extra barriers to gun ownership, but they only effect that state.

I understood the point you were making, and I agree. I'm fairly certain that if eliminating crime and murder were purely a matter of law humanity might have worked out the solution by now.

Actually a large part of the problem in Detroit was exactly lights out on the side of the highway because thieves had vandalized the streetlamps for scrap. It also resulted in many more of the lights going out because of the way the system was integrated.
Ugh well that sounds like an annoying problem like they were having there. I wouldn't say this in a bad way but I'm glad it's not a wide-spread issue here then.

ETA: Forgot to say I do agree on your first comment.

Ya know.......
There are already numerous laws against murder but since criminals tend to ignore the laws they don't care for we have murders and all manner of other crimes every day.
The objects used by those criminals are no more to blame than forks are for making people fat, matches and lighters are for arson, or cars are for making drunk drivers.
People are the problem.
The suspect in this case had numerous run ins with Law Enforcement and the Courts after exhibiting behavior that can only be described as insane and yet he was allowed to roam freely in Public.
That type of situation needs to be addressed first and foremost.

Cannot go with this analogy, guns are made for killing, AR 15s are made for killing humans, that's what they are designed for. They were originally made to be a weapon of war and that's according to the original designer. It is made to be able to load quickly and fire many shots. Even with the times and our country and civilization being completely different, guns were always to be "well regulated". Trying to be careful about going into politics. Anything that is a danger to me or others needs to have laws attached to it and be regulated, just like we do with many things in our society. To put that in with forks and fat is just crazy. Do you allow a drunk person to drive a car, do you allow a child to drive a car. If you have issues you get your license taken away. Not anyone should have a gun, there needs to better laws, and well regulated, better than what we're doing now that's for sure. And that may mean holding the father accountable also for giving the guns back to him if this violated any laws, and if it did not in that state or whatever, then laws need to be enacted. We need common sense and in this day and age that seems to be out the window.

Last edited:
Cannot go with this analogy, guns are made for killing, AR 15s are made for killing humans, that's what they are designed for. They were originally made to be a weapon of war and that's according to the original designer. It is made to be able to load quickly and fire many shots. Even with the times and our country and civilization being completely different, guns were always to be "well regulated". Trying to be careful about going into politics. Anything that is a danger to me or others needs to have laws attached to it and be regulated, just like we do with many things in our society. To put that in with forks and fat is just crazy. Do you allow a drunk person to drive a car, do you allow a child to drive a car. If you have issues you get your license taken away. Not anyone should have a gun, there needs to better laws, and well regulated, better than what we're doing now that's for sure. We need common sense and in this day and age that seems to be out the window.
OK....
How about we simply get rid of those ultra dangerous cars, vans, and trucks that are instruments of death and that were responsible for the loss of more than 40,000 lives in the U.S. in 2016.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/15/business/highway-traffic-safety.html
And just today in Toronto there were many injured by a human driving a van.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4161785/pedestrians-hit-white-van-toronto/
It makes no difference what items are regulated, taxed, outlawed, demonized, or blamed for death.
It's a cruel fact that there has ALWAYS been intentional and unintentional deaths and murders caused by the stupidity of Human Beings.
The objects used by those idiots are irrelevant and nothing more than a distraction and diversion from the true cause of those deaths.
That would be humans........

Every country has crime, murder, etc. People commit these crimes and murder, etc despite being against varying laws. That's what the other person was talking about.

I was watching a British docu-series on netflix. It was talking about how people go and steal copper out of the street lamps that illuminate the highways. We don't really have that as an issue here in terms of street lamps going out because copper is stolen out of it but it's a problem there.

Britain is suffering a knife problem, mostly in London. The reason is quite focussed - most carry a knife because EVERYONE ELSE carries a knife. It makes them feel safe. Sad really :(

The local news here in Nashville is just now reporting that this killer’s father is going to be arrested tonight, possibly on both Illinois and federal charges. Still reporting that there is no likelyhood of Tennessee violation. Our reporter says that news crews in Illinois are rushing to the father’s home.

OK....
How about we simply get rid of those ultra dangerous cars, vans, and trucks that are instruments of death and that were responsible for the loss of more than 40,000 lives in the U.S. in 2016.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/15/business/highway-traffic-safety.html
And just today in Toronto there were many injured by a human driving a van.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4161785/pedestrians-hit-white-van-toronto/
It makes no difference what items are regulated, taxed, outlawed, demonized, or blamed for death.
It's a cruel fact that there has ALWAYS been intentional and unintentional deaths and murders caused by the stupidity of Human Beings.
The objects used by those idiots are irrelevant and nothing more than a distraction and diversion from the true cause of those deaths.
That would be humans........

Again your analogy is way off, you are not comparing apples to apples here. Cars are not made for killing, that is not their purpose, they are for transportation and bc they CAN be dangerous, there are regulations on them and you need licenses, etc., you have to be a certain age, you have to show you can drive, etc., etc. So something that is MADE for killing, would need to be even better regulated. Well regulated that was how it was to be designed in this country. And AR 15s were designed to be weapons of war, to kill even more efficiently, quickly etc. So you cannot in any way compare cars to guns. Yes cars can be used as weapons, can be dangerous and kill and in this crazy world we live in now, they even are putting up barriers on pathways etc., where many people walk so that cars cannot access, like right in front of where my husband happens to work along the West Side Highway etc. AR 15s in particular are designed to kill, kill quickly and efficiently and not have to reload etc. so we need better gun laws and maybe some like those need to go. And if this guys father gave him those guns back he needs to be held accountable also. And with your analogy that it's just humans and everything else is a distraction, there would be no laws on driving either, or anything.

Last edited:
Again your analogy is way off, you are not comparing apples to apples here. Cars are not made for killing, that is not their purpose, they are for transportation and bc they CAN be dangerous, there are regulations on them and you need licenses, etc., you have to be a certain age, you have to show you can drive, etc., etc. So something that is MADE for killing, would need to be even better regulated. Well regulated that was how it was to be designed in this country. And AR 15s were designed to be weapons of war, to kill even more efficiently, quickly etc. So you cannot in any way compare cars to guns. Yes cars can be used as weapons, can be dangerous and kill and in this crazy world we live in now, they even are putting up barriers on pathways etc., where many people walk so that cars cannot access, like right in front of where my husband happens to work along the West Side Highway etc. AR 15s in particular are designed to kill, kill quickly and efficiently and not have to reload etc. so we need better gun laws and maybe some like those need to go. Why does anyone need an AR 15, just to feel like a big tough guy. And if this guys father gave him those guns back he needs to be held accountable also. And with your analogy that it's just humans and everything else is a distraction, there would be no laws on driving either, or anything.

Which makes it perfect for self defense for certain law abiding citizens.
If you want people to take your words seriously maybe you should ask people who own them why they have them instead of just assuming something and insulting them.

Again your analogy is way off, you are not comparing apples to apples here. Cars are not made for killing, that is not their purpose, they are for transportation and bc they CAN be dangerous, there are regulations on them and you need licenses, etc., you have to be a certain age, you have to show you can drive, etc., etc. So something that is MADE for killing, would need to be even better regulated. Well regulated that was how it was to be designed in this country. And AR 15s were designed to be weapons of war, to kill even more efficiently, quickly etc. So you cannot in any way compare cars to guns. Yes cars can be used as weapons, can be dangerous and kill and in this crazy world we live in now, they even are putting up barriers on pathways etc., where many people walk so that cars cannot access, like right in front of where my husband happens to work along the West Side Highway etc. AR 15s in particular are designed to kill, kill quickly and efficiently and not have to reload etc. so we need better gun laws and maybe some like those need to go. Why does anyone need an AR 15, just to feel like a big tough guy. And if this guys father gave him those guns back he needs to be held accountable also. And with your analogy that it's just humans and everything else is a distraction, there would be no laws on driving either, or anything.
OK..........:D

Which makes it perfect for self defense for certain law abiding citizens.
If you want people to take your words seriously maybe you should ask people who own them why they have them instead of just assuming something and insulting them.

If we actually listened to what is actually being said instead of the propaganda channels, you would see that no one is talking about taking anyone's guns away, and neither are the kids that are protesting right now, just possibly the AR 15 type weapons. I know many many many many people that are intelligent, respectful gun owners like my 91 year old dad who keeps his guns locked in a secure place, who was also an instructor in the army who taught people how to shoot, and even he thinks there should be regulations and no one needs an AR 15. So that is the discussion. I said they need to be well regulated, like they were originally intended (keeping away from politics here). And yes, I know many who want the AR 15s that are doing it for macho type tough guy reasons or worse, they think that they are going to have to go to war here and I could say more but not talking politics here forbids me and yes I know these people personally, we all do unfortunately. I'm not against having guns for protection, never said otherwise. I didn't mean to insult anyone, I know people that talk like that and have talked with them and it is really disturbing.

Last edited:
If people actually listened to what is actually being said instead of the propaganda channels, you would see that no one is talking about taking anyone's guns away, and neither are the kids that are protesting right now, just possibly the AR 15 type weapons. I know many many many many people that are intelligent, respectful gun owners like my 91 year old dad who keeps his guns locked in a secure place, who was also an instructor in the army who taught people how to shoot, and even he thinks there should be regulations and no one needs an AR 15. So that is the discussion. I said they need to be well regulated, like they were originally intended (keeping away from politics here). And yes, I know many who want the AR 15s that are doing it for macho type tough guy reasons or worse, they think that they are going to have to go to war here and I could say more but not talking politics here forbids me and yes I know these people personally, we all do unfortunately. I'm not against having guns for protection, never said otherwise. I didn't mean to insult anyone, I know people that talk like that and have talked with them and it is really disturbing.

(this snippet is from your pp) "so we need better gun laws and maybe some like those need to go"
I'm not really sure how in one post you can say that and then in another say no one is talking about taking anyone's guns away. :confused: I'm not going to get in to a debate but you are contradicting yourself here.

Besides, my post was not about whether or not there is a push to take away guns, I was pointing out that there is a very valid reason gun owners would want an AR-15 and it has nothing to do with being a "tough guy".
You may not have meant to insult anyone, but your words are insulting to many gun owners.
I understand there are extremes in that group, but how you know many that are doing for the macho thing, I know many who are not. Food for thought.

(this snippet is from your pp) "so we need better gun laws and maybe some like those need to go"
I'm not really sure how in one post you can say that and then in another say no one is talking about taking anyone's guns away. :confused: I'm not going to get in to a debate but you are contradicting yourself here.

Besides, my post was not about whether or not there is a push to take away guns, I was pointing out that there is a very valid reason gun owners would want an AR-15 and it has nothing to do with being a "tough guy".
You may not have meant to insult anyone, but your words are insulting to many gun owners.
I understand there are extremes in that group, but how you know many that are doing for the macho thing, I know many who are not. Food for thought.

Holy moley Hiker girl, you really twisted that sentence there by only pulling a few words out of it instead of the whole thing, I was referring to the AR 15s. And yes I know people that own or want the AR 15s for macho reasons. Or worse, like I said above, they are preparing for a civil war of some type which I have to be careful about politics. Yes I'm sure there are some that just want one to go blast away at what, targets? or game to watch it explode into millions of pieces for the fun of it. Or play army man. And I've seen a lot of your posts on here and they aren't all that nice either. I think it's a trying time for many of us and I'm taking off tough guy comment said out of frustration.

Last edited:
Holy moley Hiker girl, you really twisted that sentence there by only pulling a few words out of it instead of the whole thing, I was referring to the AR 15s. And yes I know people that own or want the AR 15s for macho reasons. Or worse, like I said above, they are preparing for a civil war of some type which I have to be careful about politics. Yes I'm sure there are some that just want one to go blast away at what, targets? or game to watch it explode into millions of pieces for the fun of it. Or play army man. And I've seen a lot of your posts on here and they aren't all that nice either. I think it's a trying time for many of us.
Can I just say though you've got a very extreme viewpoint of gun ownership in general.

You're using the words propaganda, macho type tough guy reasons or worse, preparing for a civil war of some type, etc.

The only people I know that talk like that are people who are on the extreme and I don't personally know them-it's usually some comment made on FB. I know so many more people who are just average, everyday people. And it's not an AR-15 thing. In general your comments are aimed at gun ownership. It's getting frustrating when people focus on the type of gun ignoring that incidents happen that don't include it. But I guess it doesn't get the attention the same way unless an AR-15 is involved.

Can I just say though you've got a very extreme viewpoint of gun ownership in general.

You're using the words propaganda, macho type tough guy reasons or worse, preparing for a civil war of some type, etc.

The only people I know that talk like that are people who are on the extreme and I don't personally know them-it's usually some comment made on FB. I know so many more people who are just average, everyday people. And it's not an AR-15 thing. In general your comments are aimed at gun ownership. It's getting frustrating when people focus on the type of gun ignoring that incidents happen that don't include it. But I guess it doesn't get the attention the same way unless an AR-15 is involved.

Actually my comments are not aimed at gun ownership at all. The AR 15 is the only thing that I have seen out there that has been talked about getting rid of. My comments are about gun laws and regulations. Unfortunately the other things that are put out every single day on Fox News and all those radio talk shows are now a days what ordinary average people are talking like. That is what is so scary. So you tell me honestly that you don't know anyone that believes that gun regulations means they are going to take away all your guns? Do average people own AR 15s now is that the norm in your world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter