• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another Bus wreck...

I don't know what the rules are in the US, but in the UK you have to reapply for a driving licence (you don't have to do the test, but you have to reapply) at the age of 70, and have to do a medical delaration form saying you are fit to drive. If a GP sees you for a condition where you are no longer safe to drive, you have to inform the DVLA. After 70 your licence will only be renewed for 3 years at a time, and each time you will have to promise you are in complete health.

Although they cannot fire them due to their age, they could do for not being competent. If they regularly test all their bus drivers, then they could weed out those who ether need re-training or those who need to be removed from driving buses. This would mean that the competent 81 year olds are fine, but those who are having issues are moved at least onto smaller vehicles.

Wonder what their minimum age is required of bus drivers?

21 for most places due to insurance.Disney I know for a fact Disney is 21.Legally you can get a CDL in Fl at 18, though not Disney.Disney (thru the DOT) requires that you pass a yearly physical,and random drug tests to name a few.For a bus on Dsney property, you have to have a class "B" with passenger and air brake endorsements.(minumum)

This off the FL DMV site:

Commercial Driver Licenses
Class A: Commercial motor vehicles - trucks or truck combinations weighing with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26,001 lbs. or more, provided towed vehicle is more than 10,000 lbs.
Class A Exam Requirements - Minimum age 18.
General Knowledge test
Combinations vehicle test
Air Brakes
Applicable Endorsement Exams
Vision - 20/40 in each eye
Hearing - must hear a whisper
Pre-Trip
Basic Skills
Driving
Note: Drivers under 21 years of age will be restricted to Intrastate operation only.
Class B: Commercial motor vehicles - straight trucks weighing 26,001 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating or more.

Class B Exam Requirements
General Knowledge test
Air Brakes if applicable
Pre-Trip (not required for Class C)
Basic Skills (not required for Class C)
Driving
Note: Drivers under 21 years of age will be restricted to Intrastate operation only.
Class C: Vehicles transporting placardable amounts of hazardous materials, or vehicles designed to transport more than 15 persons including the driver with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of less than 26,001 lbs.

Class C Exam Requirements
General Knowledge test
Air Brakes if applicable
Pre-Trip (not required for Class C)
Basic Skills (not required for Class C)
Driving

I don't know what the rules are in the US, but in the UK you have to reapply for a driving licence (you don't have to do the test, but you have to reapply) at the age of 70, and have to do a medical delaration form saying you are fit to drive. If a GP sees you for a condition where you are no longer safe to drive, you have to inform the DVLA. After 70 your licence will only be renewed for 3 years at a time, and each time you will have to promise you are in complete health.

Although they cannot fire them due to their age, they could do for not being competent. If they regularly test all their bus drivers, then they could weed out those who ether need re-training or those who need to be removed from driving buses. This would mean that the competent 81 year olds are fine, but those who are having issues are moved at least onto smaller vehicles.

Here in Pennsylvania physicians are required to report any medical condition that would prevent someone from being able to drive safely. 6 other states currently have this same law in place. Some states also require eye testing after a certain age. The laws vary from state to state: http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/elderly-license-renewal.html

Florida
Renewal applicants 80 and older must pass a vision test administered at any driver's license office or if applying for an extension by mail must pass a vision test administered by a licensed physician or optometrist.

The obvious question to me is ....Why is an 81 year old driving a bus?

Hate to say it but I thought it as well.. I didn't like driving with my dad in his 70's, I know I wouldn't want a driver in his 80's...

Another question, doesn't Meers handle the drivers/buses for WDW. For some reason I thought I had heard a few years back that WDW had subleased this to Meers Busing or am I imagining this?

I about fell out of my chair when I read the name of the driver. We were at Saratoga last summer and he was RAMPING curbs and speeding through the resort, so badly in fact that he took off when passengers were standing and they fell so my husband started yelling at him to slow down, he walked to the back of the bus and was arguing with my huband and others about how he has been driving a bus longer than we'd been alive, it got really ugly. THEN he ramped ANOTHER curb causing a little boy (this was a FULL bus) who was on his mom's lap to go careening into the window with his head, he was BAWLING. Several of us reported him. I am so sad to hear he has not only been involved in an accident but that Disney is still allowing this guy to drive.
WOW!
Lesley

Ok so bus drivers go thru much training before they start. How often do they have to do refresher courses? I know we have to do defensive driving every 3 years to keep the discount on our insurance. I would think a bus driver would have to be reviewed at least yearly

I about fell out of my chair when I read the name of the driver. We were at Saratoga last summer and he was RAMPING curbs and speeding through the resort, so badly in fact that he took off when passengers were standing and they fell so my husband started yelling at him to slow down, he walked to the back of the bus and was arguing with my huband and others about how he has been driving a bus longer than we'd been alive, it got really ugly. THEN he ramped ANOTHER curb causing a little boy (this was a FULL bus) who was on his mom's lap to go careening into the window with his head, he was BAWLING. Several of us reported him. I am so sad to hear he has not only been involved in an accident but that Disney is still allowing this guy to drive.
WOW!
Lesley

I remember reading that story in your TR! I can't believe it's the same guy!

As someone previously mentioned though, I do wonder how often accidents occur on Disney property that we just don't hear about. I remember a few years ago when it seemed like there was an extraordinarily high number of shark attacks, when in reality, it was a perfectly average number. It was just that they weren't all reported by the media in prior years.

The driver was 81 ?

pfft.

I live in Sarasota. We drive with his parents on the roads.... :lmao:

Seriously, though. It may sound funny but 81 is a tricky age in terms of how much the individual has "slowed down". Indeed, at that age many folks really have no business behind the wheel, and certainly not driving a bus load of passengers.

But, I know my fair share of 80-year olds that could pass for late 60's/early 70's, and whom I'd trust to drive me anywhere....

People have to be judged on an individual basis, not on some specific age.

However, reading the above and how this driver "ramped curves" and such, it's troublesome that Disney did not heed the warning signs.

The results could have been far worse.

Ok so bus drivers go thru much training before they start. How often do they have to do refresher courses? I know we have to do defensive driving every 3 years to keep the discount on our insurance. I would think a bus driver would have to be reviewed at least yearly

Unless Im mistaken, they dont, and never have. The only time that I know of( I was a bus trainer at 1 point for Disney) that someone actually got refresher training was if the trainer felt that that particular driver needed more time behind the wheel without guests before being turned loose.Today, I honestly dont know since I have been out of the company for 7 years now.

I don't know if I'd agree there should be an age limit on being a bus driver. But I think after a certain age there should be annual tests to renew their drivers license as well as to do drive public transportation.

I don't care if the guy is 81 or 18. The problem is this guy has been reported before for reckless driving and Disney either did nothing or if there was some sort of reprimand it apparently wasn't enough, this isn't a job where you can give lee way for less then stellar employees. If a bus driver is unsafe, even once, then he/she should be fired! There are plenty of lousy drivers out there of all ages.

WOW!
Lesley

Did you ever get a response to your complaint (or does disney never do responses?)

If I were in your position i'd be getting in touch with whoever will be investigation and telling them of your experience - i'd feel it was my responsibility. This guy (regardless of age) should not be in charge of other people lives - end of!

Thankfully no1 was hurt this time, but he appears to be getting worse!!

Disney hasnt and probably never will discuss the outcome of a complaint with an employee.Unfortunately, the best you can hope for is that a manager took the issue (whatever it may have been or is) seriously.
The other thing is something called progressive discipline. In certain (not all)cases, you have to start with a verbal warning, written verbal, reprimand, and whatever else may be in between.After a certain length of time, they will fall off your record, and you bascally start again.In sme cases, depending on the severity of the issue (this is with busses, I cant speak for other areas) they can transfer the affected cm to another area, in a similar pay grade.

BTW Racey, they already have or soon will see any complaints regarding the drivers past history. Disney Transport will pull his record during there internal investigation.

:scared1:

How did I get dragged into this?:laughing:

1) you are a good sport about it
2) Monday
3) 31 days later I do the same thing you do Monday
4) You immediately got my stump the roundtable question so I claim taunting privileges (wait until the next attempt) and
5) you are a good sport about it

Did I mention you are a good sport about it?

1) you are a good sport about it
2) Monday
3) 31 days later I do the same thing you do Monday
4) You immediately got my stump the roundtable question so I claim taunting privileges (wait until the next attempt) and
5) you are a good sport about it

Did I mention you are a good sport about it?

:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter