• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another Bus wreck...

WebmasterMike

When Yuba plays the Rumba on his Tuba...
Disney bus involved in 3-car accident; bus driver cited
By Anika Myers Palm, Orlando Sentinel
2:13 p.m. EDT, April 3, 2010

A Disney bus driver has been charged with careless driving after two passenger vehicles were struck by the bus shortly before noon on Saturday.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, bus driver Fredrick Cassens, 81, of Auburndale struck the back of a 2009 Chevy sport utility vehicle after failing to see that the car was stopped at a stoplight. That impact caused the Chevy to hit the back of a 1999 GMC van, also a Disney vehicle.

The accident occurred at East Buena Vista Drive and World Drive.

There are no reports of injuries, and WESH.com is reporting that 19 people were on board the Disney bus.

The crash is the third such event on the theme park's property in the past two weeks, the most recent involving 9-year-old Chase Brubaker of Pinellas County, who was killed Thursday after his bicycle drifted into the side of a Disney bus at Fort Wilderness Resort.

Check back for updates.

It's like Disney transportation is cursed. Glad to hear no one was injured.

Oh my. Maybe some manditory drivers safety courses are needed

I just saw that too.....so glad no one was seriously hurt in this one

Just a quick reply to the post about Driving safety courses: "Maybe some manditory drivers safety courses are needed." Mandatory bus driver training courses are given to all prospective Disney drivers. They go through rigorous training before they are allowed to go out on routes by themselves.

wow!!! though now I think about it, Paul from WTTM had a podcast of his and Tairy's ride on one of the WDW buses. He said it was one of the scariest rides he ever was on. It was interesting to listen to. I remember at one pointe the bus went right over the curb.

Here's hoping there are no more bus accidents at disney this year.

I'm starting to think the WDW transportation system is stressed right now with the peak crowds for Spring Break. Maybe too much rushing around to meet guest demands.

Wow! No wonder they are looking for a new VP of Transportation! I should tell DH to apply. He has no experience in this field, but he does have a clean driving record!

To bring this all into perspective, it was not until this year that we have really had all the reports of accidents. I remember being at WDW and seeing bus wrecks and never hearing anything about them on the news. Thanks to Twitter, FB and an always connected world, we see these all the time now. I bet if you go back the number of wrecks falls within the normal operations of transportation at WDW (minus the Monorail incident). FB, 3G, Twitter, and other technologies have really wired the public into the instant media world.

The obvious question to me is ....Why is an 81 year old driving a bus?

They say things happen in 3's, so hopefully this is the last incident for a while.

There's a simple answer, though the explanation is complex. The age discrimination laws prohibit WDW from saying an 81 year old can't drive a bus. Governments can impose some age limits on firefighters and law enforcement employees but a private employer must be prepared to prove that age is a "bona fide occupational qualification" (BFOQ) which is legalese for the job essentially requires an age cutoff. The EEOC begrudgingly tolerates the age cutoff for airline pilots (and that is imposed by the FAA), but has taken no position on whether schools can limit the age of bus drivers and there is binding federal precedent governing Florida that at least one school discriminated against a bus driver by firing him when he reached age 65.

In simple terms, WDW risks a costly legal battle if it takes the position that there is any age cut off for bus drivers.

Of course, we all know, well those of us who are Kevin's age, we slow down with age. With few exceptions, the age laws don't permit employers to make decisions based upon the assumption that older workers can't do the job. But, and I want to emphasize this, the age laws do permit employers to make decisions based upon the fact that a particular employee cannot safely perform job tasks.

There's a simple answer, though the explanation is complex. The age discrimination laws prohibit WDW from saying an 81 year old can't drive a bus. Governments can impose some age limits on firefighters and law enforcement employees but a private employer must be prepared to prove that age is a "bona fide occupational qualification" (BFOQ) which is legalese for the job essentially requires an age cutoff. The EEOC begrudgingly tolerates the age cutoff for airline pilots (and that is imposed by the FAA), but has taken no position on whether schools can limit the age of bus drivers and there is binding federal precedent governing Florida that at least one school discriminated against a bus driver by firing him when he reached age 65.

In simple terms, WDW risks a costly legal battle if it takes the position that there is any age cut off for bus drivers.

Of course, we all know, well those of us who are Kevin's age, we slow down with age. With few exceptions, the age laws don't permit employers to make decisions based upon the assumption that older workers can't do the job. But, and I want to emphasize this, the age laws do permit employers to make decisions based upon the fact that a particular employee cannot safely perform job tasks.

That's a good law. I think older folks should retain every right to hold a job. It's just a shame that on rare occasions it takes an accident like this to remind us that we do indeed slow down a bit with age. I'm not sure the drivers age had anything to do with the accident, but the number "81" jumped off the page at me. Maybe that's just my prejudice showing. Either way, I'm glad no one got hurt. :thumbsup2

Its a shame that Common sense doesn't come into play. However unpopular it is to say "someone is too old for a certain job" I think it HAS to be done for safety reasons.

Its a shame that Common sense doesn't come into play. However unpopular it is to say "someone is too old for a certain job" I think it HAS to be done for safety reasons.

Maybe so, but how do you know there is a problem until something actually happens? This man could have had a perfect driving record for 65 years. It's a tough issue for an employer to handle.

Maybe so, but how do you know there is a problem until something actually happens? This man could have had a perfect driving record for 65 years. It's a tough issue for an employer to handle.

But we all know that as we get older our responses slow and we become less alert! Of course there are exceptions!!! but why take the risk, especially when it comes to someone being in control of so many lives? :confused3

Like you said its a tough issue! :sad2:

But we all know that as we get older our responses slow and we become less alert! Of course there are exceptions!!! but why take the risk, especially when it comes to someone being in control of so many lives? :confused3

Like you said its a tough issue! :sad2:

I agree, but on the flip side think of the older person who is in complete control of all of their faculties being told to stand down. If I were 81 and good to go I'd be pretty pissed! Maybe the answer is to accommodate the individual with employment that has less risk involved for the public? I don't know. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter