• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could provide links, graphs and more but the purpose was purely to make a point. I will only say Lake Michigan peaks at about 70 degrees where I live. I don't call that warm.

Back to the subject at hand please.

LOL!!! Cold is relative! I am a New England Girl and as s kid our vacations to the beach were at the New Hampshire beaches. Hampton Beach is COLD< But if you asked me today what is cold, I would say an unseated pool. LOL!

I could provide links, graphs and more but the purpose was purely to make a point. I will only say Lake Michigan peaks at about 70 degrees where I live. I don't call that warm.

Don't mention something if you don't want it brought into the conversation.

Btw, the temp of Lake Michigan typically hits the high 70s in summer, and is known to go into the low 80s. And actually it makes a great comparison---what you find cold I find warm and refreshing. What you find intrusive (the room checks) I have no problem with. And you have no way of knowing the lake is cold until you set foot in it. Just like you don't know what your experience will be with the room checks until you are staying on property. Like every service at WDW there are good experiences and bad. While you may not like the idea of the room check you have no idea if it will be intrusive until you are having your stay and find out for yourself.

I want to add that I believe that the only reason you are getting pushback here is that you continue to make comments to prove your point that are either opinion or are parts of documents that are either taken out of context or that simply do not apply to your argument.

No one disputes your right to abhor the new policy. You have a lot of folks who are right there with you, who do not want any chance of intrusion, and who have made decisions in terms of how they will or will not vacation in WDW resorts due to the policy.

I respect your concerns and I have shared what I would do in your circumstances, or if I shared the concerns. I know that there have been some unsettling stories of CM's who made critical errors in how they conducted room checks, however I have not read of any recently. WHat I continue to have a problem with in terms of your discussion is how you use a comment and then ask folks to move along. That kind of "end of discussion" comment negates any of your points. As s friend of mine would say whenever someone would make a proclamation that he did not agree with, and that he could refute "Just because you say it, does not make it so."

If you want a courteous and respectful discourse on the pros and cons of this policy, you need to be able to at least accept that we all have our own benchline for intrusive policies, which may or may not mirror yours. I will refuse to ever pay a parking fee at a WDW resort, and others may take that policy in stride. I love daily housekeeping and whenever possible, I request turndown service, so obviously my concerns with intrusions are much different that folks who refuse housekeeping at all.

I think it's awesome that you felt passionately about something so you acted on it. I do believe that there are levels of intrusiveness, some being necessary, some not, but I think when you are staying on someone else's property, regardless of whether or not you paid to be there, they reserve the right to do what they are doing. I can understand your frustration, and maybe Disney can compromise and find a better way to cover their own bootys while also making guests feel comfortable, but unfortunately we live in a world where lunatics with guns and bombs and acid think it's okay to terrorize innocent people. Large crowds attract this type of behavior, and Disney has crowds, tons of them.

The issue I have with this complaint is that when something awful happens, an outcry is heard from the public; "someone needs to do SOMETHING!"....here Disney is, trying to do something, and it is displeasing some people. I followed the Vegas shooting extensively, watched the video of collective surveillance of the shooter and the obnoxiou amounts of bags he took into his room, and I think the total count of guns found in his room was 30 something, I believe 39. Disney doesn't want this happening on their watch, and since their property is private, I think they reserve the right to monitor the stuff going on in their rooms. If it is for the better of everyone, I think they're doing the right thing. I also have nothing to hide or be ashamed of, so whatever someone found in my room would not criminalize me or make me look bad, so come on in, check away. I welcome it because it makes me feel safer.

It's like when TSA cracked down on things you can bring onto planes. I understand that some people may have an issue with this, I genuinely get it, but honestly, don't stay there then. It's pretty simple. I'd rather stay on a property where they care about the safety of their guests versus not. If that's not a need that you and your family have, then maybe find a new theme park that doesn't implement those policies...I mean that with zero rudeness or harshness.

The only reason I said “back to the subject at hand please” was I didn’t want a moderator to have reason to shut down this thread. Nothing more. One moderator has already threatened to do that after discussions went off topic. No other reason. Why is it many get in a tizzy here and read more into it.

Do I really have to write a paragraph to explain a sentence when a sentence is all that it should take? Give me a break people.

The only reason I said “back to the subject at hand please” was I didn’t want a moderator to have reason to shut down this thread. Nothing more. One moderator has already threatened to do that after discussions went off topic. No other reason. Why is it many get in a tizzy here and read more into it.

Do I really have to write a paragraph to explain a sentence when a sentence is all that it should take? Give me a break people.

Maybe let the moderators do the moderating? Otherwise it comes off as you trying to control the discussion so it is only what you want it to be.

I agree, some people are coming hard for you. I myself have made innocent comments before and then a s*** storm ensued. Some people enjoy confrontation versus conversation.

I recognize that your intentions were good, I think people are just torn because on one hand we want privacy, on the other hand we want protection. I think we can have both, so I'm not saying your post was totally out of place or inappropriate, I think people are hung up on the examples you used to back up your thoughts. At the very least, try to look at the situation from a hotel general manager's perspective, or a CEO of a multi-billion dollar company. What happened in Vegas cannot happen again. Disney does not want this happening on their turf, so they're doing what they can to prevent that by any means necessary. If these mass shootings were one-off experiences, there would be less of a need for intrusiveness, but these mass shootings happen all too frequently to just turn a blind eye. Now do I think Disney is approaching this matter in the best way possible? I'm not sure, maybe, maybe not. But I give them credit for at least trying. I give them credit for at least attempting to make their parks safer. There are metal detectors at the entrance of parks, to my knowledge, there are none in the hotels. They're just trying to make their property as safe as humanly possible. I agree maybe they need to go back to the drawing board to tweak a few things, but I appreciate the effort. The fact alone that they care enough to try is comforting to me.

I agree, some people are coming hard for you. I myself have made innocent comments before and then a s*** storm ensued. Some people enjoy confrontation versus conversation.

I recognize that your intentions were good, I think people are just torn because on one hand we want privacy, on the other hand we want protection. I think we can have both, so I'm not saying your post was totally out of place or inappropriate, I think people are hung up on the examples you used to back up your thoughts. At the very least, try to look at the situation from a hotel general manager's perspective, or a CEO of a multi-billion dollar company. What happened in Vegas cannot happen again. Disney does not want this happening on their turf, so they're doing what they can to prevent that by any means necessary. If these mass shootings were one-off experiences, there would be less of a need for intrusiveness, but these mass shootings happen all too frequently to just turn a blind eye. Now do I think Disney is approaching this matter in the best way possible? I'm not sure, maybe, maybe not. But I give them credit for at least trying. I give them credit for at least attempting to make their parks safer. There are metal detectors at the entrance of parks, to my knowledge, there are none in the hotels. They're just trying to make their property as safe as humanly possible. I agree maybe they need to go back to the drawing board to tweak a few things, but I appreciate the effort. The fact alone that they care enough to try is comforting to me.

KellyHonos:

I would like to have a conversation here about your post. I believe it was a good one. I do have some feedback about it that I would like to share.

I would agree that people are torn between privacy and safety. I guess that is why I was drawn in about my failed example of using the 4th amendment. I hadn't vetted out it's use enough to realize it was crafted to protect the people from it's own government. I was drawn into the prospect that we needed to be protected from businesses and I thought the 4th amendment did that too. It does not. But never the less, large businesses with the resources to implement at the same or even similar degree as government might justify just as much fear as what our founding fathers had about privacy invasion by government. That is why I used the 4th amendment as an argument.

My God, I hope we don't have to live through what happened in Las Vegas again. I totally get why Disney would want to know what is going on inside the rooms their guests are using. I as well, give them credit for trying. BUT, it doesn't remove them from the responsibility of telling their guests about the policy OUT IN THE OPEN. That means not hiding it in the fine print. They don't have to tell people their trade secrets. Just inform guests that their room will be observed from Disney Cast Members every day in one way or the other. At least it won't be a total surprise when it occurs. At the same time Disney should provide guests some understanding on what options they have to improve privacy. If you are a late niter, for example, then guests should have options which would allow people to sleep in and not be awaken in the morning, by insistent door knocks, before they normally would.

Finally, thank you for responding in a civil manner. It was appreciated. (and others, please take no offense, I was merely saying just a simple thank you.)

KellyHonos:

I would like to have a conversation here about your post. I believe it was a good one. I do have some feedback about it that I would like to share.

I would agree that people are torn between privacy and safety. I guess that is why I was drawn in about my failed example of using the 4th amendment. I hadn't vetted out it's use enough to realize it was crafted to protect the people from it's own government. I was drawn into the prospect that we needed to be protected from businesses and I thought the 4th amendment did that too. It does not. But never the less, large businesses with the resources to implement at the same or even similar degree as government might justify just as much fear as what our founding fathers had about privacy invasion by government. That is why I used the 4th amendment as an argument.

My God, I hope we don't have to live through what happened in Las Vegas again. I totally get why Disney would want to know what is going on inside the rooms their guests are using. I as well, give them credit for trying. BUT, it doesn't remove them from the responsibility of telling their guests about the policy OUT IN THE OPEN. That means not hiding it in the fine print. They don't have to tell people their trade secrets. Just inform guests that their room will be observed from Disney Cast Members every day in one way or the other. At least it won't be a total surprise when it occurs. At the same time Disney should provide guests some understanding on what options they have to improve privacy. If you are a late niter, for example, then guests should have options which would allow people to sleep in and not be awaken in the morning, by insistent door knocks, before they normally would.

Finally, thank you for responding in a civil manner. It was appreciated. (and others, please take no offense, I was merely saying just a simple thank you.)

No problem. We adults are allowed to see things differently and discuss those differences with maturity and respect. I think your point about hiding the policy in fine print is true. I didn't know they were doing that. If it was mentioned in this thread, I apologize that I missed that aspect. I'll do you one better yet- It should be stated at the time of booking. That way, if that's something you're not okay with, you can decline to stay on Disney property.

One on hand, I understand that there needs to be limits. At what point do we say, enough is enough. They're going through our stuff to get on planes, then they're going through our stuff to get into the parks, I can understand why people would feel like they're privacy is being invaded by now being forced to have an open door policy. I understand that frustration. Where do we draw the line? But on the other hand, those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing. I firmly believe that. Those who are not hiding guns and ammunition and bomb supplies and drugs and whatever else could be deemed as inappropriate or illegal would not have an issue with the intrusiveness because they know they have nothing to lose by being transparent. That's the side of the argument I happen to be on. I'm not offended by the intrusiveness because it actually makes me feel safer. If going through people's belongings eliminates the chances of danger, sign me up. I'll gladly participate.

All in all, we need to get better at listening to one another without automatically being on the defense. We all love Disney, we all want to feel safe in Disney, we all want to come back to Disney. If we can keep those common ideas in mind, despite different back grounds, up bringings and beliefs, we would find that we are not all so different after all.

No problem. We adults are allowed to see things differently and discuss those differences with maturity and respect. I think your point about hiding the policy in fine print is true. I didn't know they were doing that. If it was mentioned in this thread, I apologize that I missed that aspect. I'll do you one better yet- It should be stated at the time of booking. That way, if that's something you're not okay with, you can decline to stay on Disney property.

One on hand, I understand that there needs to be limits. At what point do we say, enough is enough. They're going through our stuff to get on planes, then they're going through our stuff to get into the parks, I can understand why people would feel like they're privacy is being invaded by now being forced to have an open door policy. I understand that frustration. Where do we draw the line? But on the other hand, those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing. I firmly believe that. Those who are not hiding guns and ammunition and bomb supplies and drugs and whatever else could be deemed as inappropriate or illegal would not have an issue with the intrusiveness because they know they have nothing to lose by being transparent. That's the side of the argument I happen to be on. I'm not offended by the intrusiveness because it actually makes me feel safer. If going through people's belongings eliminates the chances of danger, sign me up. I'll gladly participate.

All in all, we need to get better at listening to one another without automatically being on the defense. We all love Disney, we all want to feel safe in Disney, we all want to come back to Disney. If we can keep those common ideas in mind, despite different back grounds, up bringings and beliefs, we would find that we are not all so different after all.

All good points. Thank you.

I would actually prefer that they just scan my suitcase or look in it rather then come into my room every day. Especially the way it is now with them knocking whenever they want. It takes me a long time to fall asleep most days when I am on vacation and I usually sleep in. I would hate if housekeeping knocked on my door early and woke me up because if I have to get up and answer the door, there is no way that I am falling asleep again. In the past I just had the DND sign on and there were no issues. I would hope that they would honor any request made by me to not knock on my door before a certain time, but I know sometimes they have different housekeepers of just lack of communication. My next trip is this fall so I will wait and see how it goes.

I would actually prefer that they just scan my suitcase or look in it rather then come into my room every day. Especially the way it is now with them knocking whenever they want. It takes me a long time to fall asleep most days when I am on vacation and I usually sleep in. I would hate if housekeeping knocked on my door early and woke me up because if I have to get up and answer the door, there is no way that I am falling asleep again. In the past I just had the DND sign on and there were no issues. I would hope that they would honor any request made by me to not knock on my door before a certain time, but I know sometimes they have different housekeepers of just lack of communication. My next trip is this fall so I will wait and see how it goes.
It does seem to be that this “policy” is being performed differently at different resorts. A couple of weeks ago we were at POFQ had housekeeping, used the room occupied sign and never were bothered. Hopefully you have this type of experience.

Others have reported different results at different resorts, some have had housekeeping knocking several times starting early regardless of signs, others having several visits a day giving various reasons from flipping light switches to emptying garbage, and some just being walked in on.

It does seem to be that this “policy” is being performed differently at different resorts. A couple of weeks ago we were at POFQ had housekeeping, used the room occupied sign and never were bothered. Hopefully you have this type of experience.

Others have reported different results at different resorts, some have had housekeeping knocking several times starting early regardless of signs, others having several visits a day giving various reasons from flipping light switches to emptying garbage, and some just being walked in on.

A clarification: the Occupied sign is not a Do Not Disturb sign. It's not meant to stop staff from knocking on the door. It's just a heads-up to the staff that the guest is in the room.

As for early knocks, multiple staff visits a day, etc. I've seen this mentioned multiple times since the room check policy started as if it's something new. That kind of thing has gone on at hotels since there have been hotels - it's not new, and it's not unique to Disney resorts.

I've been visiting these boards daily for over 10 years, and I can't remember a time when there haven't been complaints about early housekeeping visits on check-out day, and yes, even if the do not disturb sign was up. It's come up regularly on the DVC boards for as long as I can remember. It's happened to me at Disney resorts and other hotels a number of times. Same goes for other visits by staff. I remember one GF stay with my mother many years ago that was just a comedy of multiple staff visits. The housekeeper stopping by to drop off more towels. Ten minutes later, a supervisor checking to see if we were satisfied with the way our room was cleaned. Twenty minutes after that, another manager asking to inspect the cleaning job.

At other hotels, I've had early wakeups by housekeeping. I've had maintenance wake me out of a sound sleep asking to check the a/c, because someone had put the wrong room number on a work order. I've had multiple housekeeping visits...first to clean, then for towels, later in the day, then to replace the glasses. Room service coming by to pick up the tray...when someone had already done that an hour before.

The only reason I can think that some people are believing this is all a result of the room check policy is that they keep the do not disturb sign up on previous stays, and are just now seeing what it's like when you *don't* have a DND sign up at a hotel. Don't get me wrong, some of the visits nowadays are specifically for room checks. But not every visit by staff is a security check.

The only reason I can think that some people are believing this is all a result of the room check policy is that they keep the do not disturb sign up on previous stays, and are just now seeing what it's like when you *don't* have a DND sign up at a hotel. Don't get me wrong, some of the visits nowadays are specifically for room checks. But not every visit by staff is a security check.
On a different (I *think* can't exactly remember now) thread I mentioned I've never been disturbed by a knock when I had my DND sign up. We've stayed at a variety of places too (Hilton, Hampton, Best Western, Motel 8, Embassy Suites, Marriott, Clarion Inn, Holiday Inn, etc just to name some and then there are non-branded hotels we've stayed at too). We did have a knock on our door 5 years ago when we were at a Sandals in St. Lucia but that was because they were asking if we wanted a restock of our mini fridge (that came included with the room) but we didn't have our sign up. That particular place also came with turn down service every night and we were not disturbed at all if that particular night we kept the sign up.

I could certaintly understand a mix up in room numbers written down causing a knock and I wouldn't think much of it. I think I probably would be a bit annoyed though probably laugh about it too if I had what you described and it was multiple people stopping by. I'm all for great customer service but a phone call/message would be fine by me rather than a visit supervisor and a manager coming in. Disney was great with those messages on the phone while we were there during Irma.

You're right it's not unique to Disney but of all the stays I've had, all the stays my husband has had for business, etc we've not been disturbed once by a knock with a DND sign up. So for someone like me I suppose I may be more sensitive than someone like you who has experienced this elsewhere and multiple times. I'm going to count myself lucky I suppose and go knock on wood now lol.

I've not stayed onsite before last September so I don't have any previous Disney-owned hotel experience to go off of but I do know from reading the Boards every now and then people have had issues with someone coming to their room for xyz.

A clarification: the Occupied sign is not a Do Not Disturb sign. It's not meant to stop staff from knocking on the door. It's just a heads-up to the staff that the guest is in the room.

As for early knocks, multiple staff visits a day, etc. I've seen this mentioned multiple times since the room check policy started as if it's something new. That kind of thing has gone on at hotels since there have been hotels - it's not new, and it's not unique to Disney resorts.

I've been visiting these boards daily for over 10 years, and I can't remember a time when there haven't been complaints about early housekeeping visits on check-out day, and yes, even if the do not disturb sign was up. It's come up regularly on the DVC boards for as long as I can remember. It's happened to me at Disney resorts and other hotels a number of times. Same goes for other visits by staff. I remember one GF stay with my mother many years ago that was just a comedy of multiple staff visits. The housekeeper stopping by to drop off more towels. Ten minutes later, a supervisor checking to see if we were satisfied with the way our room was cleaned. Twenty minutes after that, another manager asking to inspect the cleaning job.

At other hotels, I've had early wakeups by housekeeping. I've had maintenance wake me out of a sound sleep asking to check the a/c, because someone had put the wrong room number on a work order. I've had multiple housekeeping visits...first to clean, then for towels, later in the day, then to replace the glasses. Room service coming by to pick up the tray...when someone had already done that an hour before.

These are all valid points. Although there have been reports of overzealous housekeeping knocking early and often on checkout day, there has also been reports of it happening when it wasn’t checkout day. I also feel lucky, in all my travels both for leisure or business I have never experienced any of these issues.

These are all valid points. Although there have been reports of overzealous housekeeping knocking early and often on checkout day, there has also been reports of it happening when it wasn’t checkout day. I also feel lucky, in all my travels both for leisure or business I have never experienced any of these issues.

I have and it can be a pill. In Aruba last year a maid not not only entered our room while were there resting, she went into the open bathtub area and started to clean. I guess schedule trumps letting guests pull pants and shorts on before starting to clean. WE also have gotten that early mornign knock, with teh housekeeper clearly on a mission to clean the room. This never has happened in a WDW resort, ( I generally request a late checkout) but I have certainly experienced it elsewhere.

Anecdotal only, but I have traveled a lot for work and fun, San Francisco, Calgary, Dallas, Denver, and more recently, multiple stays at 6-7 in manhattan hotels alone, DC, New Orleans, San Antonio, Houston, throughout the Florida panhandle and in Orlando. Kimpton, IHG, staybridge, Waldorf, Hampton, Hilton, Marriott and many upscale non-branded. Many stays in Orlando offsite, through CRO, and as a long term DVC owner. Too many to count. I use DND signs. Had some polite knocks that were welcome to have treats delivered at a stay at an upscale hotel in Fifth Avenue in 2012. If we didn’t answer door, they tried later. First enter and surprise visit was February 2018 at BWV. I nearly jumped out of my skin. Had my RFID bracelet on so technically Disney tech knew where I was. The housekeeper apologized, and it took me a while to relax. She was pretty shook up too. It didn’t happen again that stay.

YRMV.

Regardless, it’s a departure for DVC owners. I have a BIG milestone wedding anniversary trip coming this fall. I will ask to meet both the housekeeping manager and a hotel manager in person to specify a window when we plan to be out of room, as was suggested to me during a call from Joy with DVC member satisfaction after I wrote a letter to them. She suggested to obtain the names of the manager for accountability (her words). I will call them and Joy (she provided her direct line) if we are disturbed. I guess if we change our plans and the window changes during our long stay, I will have to have another conversation with the managers. It’s worth it me to me to not be disturbed and yet be able to be spontaneous with what we choose to do during the food and wine festival.

Anecdotal only, but I have traveled a lot for work and fun, San Francisco, Calgary, Dallas, Denver, and more recently, multiple stays at 6-7 in manhattan hotels alone, DC, New Orleans, San Antonio, Houston, throughout the Florida panhandle and in Orlando. Kimpton, IHG, staybridge, Waldorf, Hampton, Hilton, Marriott and many upscale non-branded. Many stays in Orlando offsite, through CRO, and as a long term DVC owner. Too many to count. I use DND signs. Had some polite knocks that were welcome to have treats delivered at a stay at an upscale hotel in Fifth Avenue in 2012. If we didn’t answer door, they tried later. First enter and surprise visit was February 2018 at BWV. I nearly jumped out of my skin. Had my RFID bracelet on so technically Disney tech knew where I was. The housekeeper apologized, and it took me a while to relax. She was pretty shook up too. It didn’t happen again that stay.

YRMV.

Regardless, it’s a departure for DVC owners. I have a BIG milestone wedding anniversary trip coming this fall. I will ask to meet both the housekeeping manager and a hotel manager in person to specify a window when we plan to be out of room, as was suggested to me during a call from Joy with DVC member satisfaction after I wrote a letter to them. She suggested to obtain the names of the manager for accountability (her words). I will call them and Joy (she provided her direct line) if we are disturbed. I guess if we change our plans and the window changes during our long stay, I will have to have another conversation with the managers. It’s worth it me to me to not be disturbed and yet be able to be spontaneous with what we choose to do during the food and wine festival.

I get it. I always feel a conversation with managements the best place to begin if anyone has a specific concern that needs to be discussed. I refuse to get my bloomers in a bunch over something that has not happened to me, however given that there are stories of intrusions that are iMO over the top rude and unnecessary, I understand that some folks need to be assured their needs are respected.

I'll tell you that visit by housekeeping while we were resting was kind of nerve wracking, WE were just resting, but dang, it was an anniversary trip, and while the entire family was with us, our suite was separate from the rest of my crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter