An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
tex1989:

Point taken. But this world has changed much since those times. I doubt Franklin would argue, given the circumstances of today, that his words would fit perfectly. Given what is quoted of him, I really believe our country is currently slipping into a combination of indifference and ignorance regarding our citizens privacy. The terrorists on 9/11 have succeeded in changing our country in many ways unimaginable prior to then. Safety is being used beyond reason to take privacy and other rights inch by inch over time. Taken one step at a time it’s no big deal in many peoples mind. But, over time, a picture is emerging which is irrevocably changing our nation, dividing us as a people and creating the exact scenario the terrorists wanted. It is sad to see it happen. This is what I think about when I dwell on the words of Benjamin Franklin when he said:

“Those who sacrifice essential liberty, to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety”

We all have different levels of comfort when it comes to safety and personal liberties. We can choose how to react to the changes that are have been taking place for decades. At 61 I have seen a multitude of changes tha tI never thought that I would see in muy lifetime, and I have my own opinion why some are in place, not the least of which is the litigious society we now live in.

I believe that you are at a point that you need to decide what you are willing to tolerate when you travel: and if the in room intrusion is your breaking point, you should probably find lodging that does not regularly enter a room.

I have my own reason for not railing against this policy, and I really do not care if my reason is behind Disney's or not. My sister was in Vegas during that masssacre, and while not in the middle of the fray, was just on the outskirts. She and my DBIL could see right to the hotel he was staying in. My heart hurts at how close she was and if one person had peeked in that hat room, maybe that slaughter would not have occurred. I am not debating that the policy will or will not help, but I am saying that I am not at all opposed. You can recite any amendment you want, educate me on what Ben would say in regards to this, and try to convince me you are right in your attempt to use social media to make Disney backtrack their policy, but I am still okay with it.

You see, we all have our reasons to accept the policy or to stay elsewhere, and I respect yours, but want you to respect mine. Theymay or make sene to you but as is dining preferences, they are personal. As someone who really likes Chef Mickeys in spite of all the negative reviews, I am used to being on teh outside of the norm

Did you read the post immediately prior to yours (post #439) where I used that phrase?

I just went back and read it. Sorry, but I really don't get the point you are trying to make using my first quote. You seem intent on trying to convince those who don't care that they are wrong. I'm not looking for an argument, so I will bow out.

Did you read the post immediately prior to yours (post #439) where I used that phrase?

I read it. I think that you are reaching if you are using that phrase in the context of "some care and some Don't."

We are discussing room checks, not divisions of peoples in terms of ethnicity, race, or religion. I woudl discuss these subjects, but not here, as politics are forbidden. SO in the context of this discussion, your comment is once again reaching, IMO.

tex1989:

Point taken. But this world has changed much since those times. I doubt Franklin would argue, given the circumstances of today, that his words would fit perfectly. Given what is quoted of him, I really believe our country is currently slipping into a combination of indifference and ignorance regarding our citizens privacy. The terrorists on 9/11 have succeeded in changing our country in many ways unimaginable prior to then. Safety is being used beyond reason to take privacy and other rights inch by inch over time. Taken one step at a time it’s no big deal in many peoples mind. But, over time, a picture is emerging which is irrevocably changing our nation, dividing us as a people and creating the exact scenario the terrorists wanted. It is sad to see it happen. This is what I think about when I dwell on the words of Benjamin Franklin when he said:

“Those who sacrifice essential liberty, to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety”

I don't find having letting a maid in my room takes away my essential liberty.

I also think our founding fathers couldn't fathom guns that fire 90 rounds in a minute. Who knows what their take on it would be.

Disney is trading potential liability for your inconvinience. An incident would cost them greatly and they are trying their best to avoid that liability.

I agree an incident would be tragic and cost Disney greatly. I also agree that Disney is trying their best to limit their liability. What I question is whether they are using the best means to actually reduce the risk of the incident happening, at least at the resorts. At the parks I know a lot of security is unseen. Does anyone know if the same level of behind the scenes security is in place at the resorts? As in cameras, monitored by security folks. I think it might be more effective to monitor the hallways and stairwells etc. by people trained to do so rather than expect housekeepers to take a cursory look in rooms. Let the housekeepers clean.

I would prefer if Disney could let people know about this when they check in. Maybe they will get it sorted out at some point but right now it just sounds too haphazard and they could stand to be a little more upfront. I just wonder how people would feel it it was another business. I hope that it's not ok just because Disney is doing it. (I'm not saying that everyone feels that way but maybe some do.)

Also, what about home and apartment rental? A few mentioned ownership rights so how does that apply to living quarters?

I think that the advice to stay elsewhere is smart. I have no issue with that.

Yep. This too shall pass. Just like prior uproars... dogs at resorts, handle-less mugs, shampoo dispensers, the list goes on...

I find it quite funny that every single thread about any changes at WDW go exactly the same way.

They're discussions only. How else can they go? They are bound to end at some point, but that doesn't mean the issues themselves go away and aren't addressed elsewhere.

I'd like to point out that Disney put the handles back on the mugs and the hot cheese back in Casey's after people complained. I think that when you have an objection to something that Disney is or is not doing it is valid to converse about it, both directly and through various forms of social media. Many businesses monitor varied forms of social media and I'd bet good money there are people that work for Disney whose job it is to monitor these boards.

That being said what I don't understand is when people express an opinion and then others feel compelled to jump all over a PERSON because they don't agree with that person's viewpoint or they way that they chose to express it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'd like for people to be mindful to avoid personal attacks. Three60Guy deserves better respect than is being shown here.

~NM

DVC replaced the real glasses and mugs in the studio units with plastic and paper substitutes a while back. There was a lot of pushback from the members, and what do you know, the real glasses and mugs magically reappeared. Who would have thunk it?

For what it’s worth, I talked by phone to a DVC customer rep after I returned from my trip. I was walked in on by HK in February. If there was a knock I didn’t hear it, I was on a BWV balcony with the perfect view, and the boat horns were loud. I think I may have mentioned it in a post on a long thread about the room checks that was closed. The DVC rep suggested I talk in person opinion arrival during future trips to both the head of housekeeping and a resort manager, (and get their names) to request a daily cleaning time window. I thought that was useful info to share on the Dis. She also gave me her direct phone number if I have future issues.

She also said the room checker would leave if he/she came in and heard the water running when I was taking a shower. That bothered me a lot. But I will use the door latch and take quick showers I guess. Not my idea of a relaxing vacation.

snappy, while you shouldn't have to change your habits, maybe do the long showers early or late? I know there has been at least one report of either housekeeping or security coming early, but that's relative. I can't see anybody showing up before 8, or after dinner. Opinion only, of course.

Me too. That parking charge has my bloomers in a bunch. WE use DME and never rent a car, so it has no effect on my family, but I am really mad about it just the same.
Ditto. Parking fees would/will never apply to me - I don't drive - but it's the principle. Everything together has changed my view of Disney's attitude toward the people staying in the rooms. We can't be considered guests any longer. Now we're just visitors.
I just went back and read it. Sorry, but I really don't get the point you are trying to make using my first quote. You seem intent on trying to convince those who don't care that they are wrong. I'm not looking for an argument, so I will bow out.
Just to be clear, I 'liked' this post because of the content, not because the poster dropped out of the conversation.

I sometimes use afternoon rest time to take a long soak in the tub. That's particularly nice when my feet and legs start to bother me. It also gives me a chance to freshen up for dinner.

If I go back and someone comes in, I guess that I'll just wave from the tub. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter