American Pledge?

So, how many of your kids go to a school where this a part of the school day? I was recently genuinely surprised that the kids' school teaches it to them (also in ASL!). Not that I mind, I just actually thought it wasn't done anymore. It was a "whoa, didn't know they still did that" moment. Is it more common than I thought?
In my state of Texas, all public schools are required to say a pledge to the USA, and a pledge to Texas. :rolleyes2

I do Planning Board/Board of Adjustment meetings for land development throughout NJ. We always start the meeting with the pledge.

I just asked my ds who graduated HS last year and he said yes they always said it.
I went to a Catholic school, we didn't say the pledge every morning, they played the anthem instead.

Both kids in college now but they always said it in public school. I went to Catholic school and said it everyday also.

Doesn't this seem weird to anybody else? I mean, people are much more likely to move states than countries. I really like the area I live in, but come on. I don't hold any more allegiance to Pennsylvania than I do Florida...

Not really...

If push came to shove, I would feel more allegiance to my home state than I would others, & then, after my home state, I would feel more allegiance to the states in my area of the country than I would to others.

But I think a lot of it has to do w/ the "climate" in which you're raised & educated &, of course, too the current climate of wherever you are. I grew up, was educated, & live in an area that, in a way, promotes "state independence" & still has a "state's rights" kind of attitude.

In this area of the country, you grow up being proud to be from whatever state you're from.

If we had an anthem as pretty as O Canada I would WANT to hear it sung every day. Almost the best national anthem, in my opinion--second only to Waltzing Matilda (although I guess that one's not really official).

Our anthem is impossible to sing well by the average person, so it usually sounds awful.

But I think a lot of it has to do w/ the "climate" in which you're raised & educated &, of course, too the current climate of wherever you are.

I find that I am more closely affected by the specific area I live in than the state. Philadelphia has a different culture than Amish country, yet both are in Pennsylvania. Ditto Los Angeles versus San Francisco. I wonder how much somebody from Wimberley, TX feels like they have in in common with somebody from Houston, TX, for example.

It's said in my kids' schools. I don't know why people think it isn't. Last year at my daughter's spring concert, they did the Armed Forces medley and this older man next to me was saying "that is so wonderful, I thought they didn't do these songs anymore". I was about to say "WHO told you they weren't?"

Not really...

If push came to shove, I would feel more allegiance to my home state than I would others, & then, after my home state, I would feel more allegiance to the states in my area of the country than I would to others.

But I think a lot of it has to do w/ the "climate" in which you're raised & educated &, of course, too the current climate of wherever you are. I grew up, was educated, & live in an area that, in a way, promotes "state independence" & still has a "state's rights" kind of attitude.

In this area of the country, you grow up being proud to be from whatever state you're from.

I never understood this. How can you be proud of something you had no say in? It was random that you were born in a specific state. It’s like saying you’re proud to have blue eyes..you had no say in it

I just asked my ds who graduated HS last year and he said yes they always said it.
I went to a Catholic school, we didn't say the pledge every morning, they played the anthem instead.

I went to a Catholic school. We were required to line up on the main grounds every morning where we would see the flag raising, followed by a song from a rotation - The Star Spangled Banner, God Bless American, or (I suppose for contrast) This Land is Your Land. The Pledge of Allegiance was said en masse.

I think we did it in a a public high school at the beginning of the day, but I don't know at this point. I've brought my kid to class a bit late and I don't think they did it.

I never understood this. How can you be proud of something you had no say in? It was random that you were born in a specific state. It’s like saying you’re proud to have blue eyes..you had no say in it
IDK. I'd say the same thing about O Canada. If you were born in Canada you had no choice and yet you say the pledge/said the pledge growing up.

I'll admit it seems on the surface odd for specific states to have their own pledges but I already know my mindset on this topic (based on other threads) is different than yours :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter