American Pledge?

Does that mean the school does do the pledge, but SHE doesn't say it. Or does it mean it's not done at all in her school? There are many schools that, even though the pledge is recited daily, don't require everyone to say it. As long as they remain respectful of those who do...

Public school?
It's not done in her current school but she knows what it is which tells me she probably learned it at a different school.
She does not attend public school.

The Facebook thing drives me nuts. It’s always in a “look how far this country has fallen” tone about how “they” have taken the pledge out of ALL public schools.

I just don’t understand why people blindly post things with no evidence.

Every school I have ever been to and the schools of the children of everyone I know across the country recite the pledge daily. (Even the places where the people who post this on FB live.)

It angers me to see the posts on FB that insinuate that schools don't have the kids say the Pledge of Allegiance anymore. I taught in the public schools for the past 10 years, have lots of friends who are teachers in different systems, have lots of friends with kids in schools all across the country. Anytime I've asked, they all say their kids say the pledge at the start of the day, or that it's read over the loud speaker system, or some sort of saying the pledge. I think that these things are generated on FB to stir up divisiveness, to make the divide between "US" and "THEM" even wider... and that's the last thing we need in the USA right now.

Here's an example of the FB quotes.IMG_4543.JPG

Our district still does it. A lot of schools do it over the intercom as part of the morning announcements. The kids do get into the routine of saying it. If there weren’t announcements for some reason and I didn’t have them say it right away I would get several reminders from my first graders!

So, how many of your kids go to a school where this a part of the school day? I was recently genuinely surprised that the kids' school teaches it to them (also in ASL!). Not that I mind, I just actually thought it wasn't done anymore. It was a "whoa, didn't know they still did that" moment. Is it more common than I thought?

ETA: toddlers trying to sign (I hadn't seen it before) is a riot to me. I think the little guy was just throwing gang signs or something. None of them looked the same.

Both elementary districts I sub in still do the pledge, though my high-schooler says many kids in his building refuse to participate.

The ASL part of your post really made me smile, though. - The best kids' concert I ever went to was when one of my little cousins was in primary school. They'd been doing a bunch of holiday songs, and then Silent Night starts playing, and these little kids perform it in sign language. It was the sweetest thing!

If you feel like sticking it to those morons...and I often do feel like it, remind them that "under God" is not part of the originally written pledge and that the writer himself would be offended by that part.

Or that until 1942 you didn’t put your hand over your heart but did the Bellamy Salute- which looked just like the Nazi Salute. Given it was ‘42 some folks said uhhhh that looks offensive we better change it. So you know “that generation” as the FB quote says was doing a modified version that had just changed to avoid offense.

The ASL part of your post really made me smile, though. - The best kids' concert I ever went to was when one of my little cousins was in primary school. They'd been doing a bunch of holiday songs, and then Silent Night starts playing, and these little kids perform it in sign language. It was the sweetest thing!

That would have melted even this Grinch's heart:)

As a non-Christian, the origins of the “under God” addition really bother me. So I do not recite it when at events where it happens.

For those who are glad children say it, think about how many may feel uncomfortable or reminded of their other-ness every day. I don’t understand why we can’t just remove the religious reference and go back to the original.

As a non-Christian, the origins of the “under God” addition really bother me. So I do not recite it when at events where it happens.

For those who are glad children say it, think about how many may feel uncomfortable or reminded of their other-ness every day. I don’t understand why we can’t just remove the religious reference and go back to the original.

As a Christian, the origins and addition of "under God" also really bother me and I also do not recite it, nor do my children in school. And yes, they also say the Pledge to the Texas Flag in their schools and they do not do that, either. The whole thing is rather cultish, in my opinion. I'm a very proud, multi-generation Texan and I don't need to declare that to have it be true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter