American Pledge?

amberpi

DIS Veteran
So, how many of your kids go to a school where this a part of the school day? I was recently genuinely surprised that the kids' school teaches it to them (also in ASL!). Not that I mind, I just actually thought it wasn't done anymore. It was a "whoa, didn't know they still did that" moment. Is it more common than I thought?

ETA: toddlers trying to sign (I hadn't seen it before) is a riot to me. I think the little guy was just throwing gang signs or something. None of them looked the same.

I have no idea. I mean, I assume so. I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe because it's a public institution?

Edit: As of 2014 (that's when my daughter graduated), yes. I assume it's still true. I know they do it at board meetings.

Not a clue - never thought to ask my kids if they say it at all.

I had never thought about it until I saw it happening, and was just like "huh, I wonder if this is common or is just this school?" I haven't spent much time in schools for a long time though, so I'm learning.

Another clueless person. Can't recall if it happened when my children attended lower school in this country and no idea if it currently happens for my DGD.

I think they only do it during special assemblies at my kids' schools, not every day. They didn't do it at my high school 30-ish years ago, but it was private.

Because there's nothing better than teaching children to soullessly repeat an oath they most times don't even understand? One that was created to sell flags?
You made me think of a line from a song written by Paul Simon that goes:
"...God keeps his eye on us all
And he used to lean upon me
As I pledged allegiance to the wall..."

Civics is more than words.

Because there's nothing better than teaching children to soullessly repeat an oath they most times don't even understand? One that was created to sell flags?
When I was in school we were taught history, all of it, the good and the bad, and we knew what the flag was about. I guess there's nothing better than teaching children these days to just soulessly go about their school days learning only what gets the schools more money. In my days, school and education was about preparing for adult life not preparing for a test that will decide how much money the school is going to receive.

When I was in school we were taught history, all of it, the good and the bad, and we knew what the flag was about. I guess there's nothing better than teaching children these days to just soulessly go about their school days learning only what gets the schools more money. In my days, school and education was about preparing for adult life not preparing for a test that will decide how much money the school is going to receive.

Hence one of the reasons my youngest is now in private school - where they teach all subjects, not just the ones that are on the test.

Kids did the pledge everyday in elementary. Haven't asked about high school. The Star Spangled Banner is played at all sporting events and the flag is raised or very visible to all.

We are in a military area, lots of patriotism all around here.

The private school where our older 2 kids attended used to say the pledge every day in the elementary grades & would say the pledge once a week w/ the middle & high school students in their weekly assembly. I would imagine the school still does something like this, but I don't know for sure.

This past May, we attended 3 different high school graduations, & the pledge was was said at each.

The pledge is always said around here.
Its a shame though that children aren't made to be respectful of it even if they choose not to say it.
My sister said in the high school she is a teacher at the kids just talk through it instead of shutting their mouths for 10 seconds.
I'm guessing its like that in many middle/high schools.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter