• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aladdin on Hold?

There is a major difference between a full musical with acting, sets, special effects, etc., and a musical medly of Disney songs

This!! Yes I was planning on seeing the broadway musical PLAY not a concert. My husband absolutely hates concerts and at least a broadway show with acting and sets would've at least kept him entertained. I guess I will try to sit in an isle seat thats in an upopular area to avoid disrupting anyone else so if my daughter (who is 7) gets too terribly bored we can leave quietly I hope.

This!! Yes I was planning on seeing the broadway musical PLAY not a concert. My husband absolutely hates concerts and at least a broadway show with acting and sets would've at least kept him entertained. I guess I will try to sit in an isle seat thats in an upopular area to avoid disrupting anyone else so if my daughter (who is 7) gets too terribly bored we can leave quietly I hope.

Well, you were seeing a small version. The legit Broadway play is 2.5 hours (though really you can leave after “Friend Like Me” and miss nothing).

I asked Disney's chat line to confirm the cancelation of Aladdin, with the plan to find out what the replacement would be for the March 30 cruise. The first representative was able to confirm the canceling, said they were making it more magical or something like that, and said it would be replaced with alternative entertainment. I lost my connection and started over with a second rep, who said he is still showing Aladdin, could not confirm the cancelation, and therefore, he couldn't say what the alternative entertainment will be. In other words, not even all the customer service folks have received the message regarding the change, but it is for sure canceled for some time period.

Yes, disappointing how Disney managed this. There have been rumors for a while that Aladdin would go away or change, but you said it well: "How do they remove the one Broadway level show without planning ahead with a replacement?"

You have the right attitude for anyone who already booked the cruise: just roll with it and don't let this spoil a great vacation. The same thing you should do if it were to rain the entire cruise (except that removing Aladdin without a replacement was an unforced error!).

Sad to see some people without a show, but it is due time for a replacement. It'd be nice to see something new since the Dream just got Beauty and the Beast. Maybe a musical version of Moana or bring back Hercules.

I asked Disney's chat line to confirm the cancelation of Aladdin, with the plan to find out what the replacement would be for the March 30 cruise. The first representative was able to confirm the canceling, said they were making it more magical or something like that, and said it would be replaced with alternative entertainment. I lost my connection and started over with a second rep, who said he is still showing Aladdin, could not confirm the cancelation, and therefore, he couldn't say what the alternative entertainment will be. In other words, not even all the customer service folks have received the message regarding the change, but it is for sure canceled for some time period.
I got the exact same cookie cutter response to my email as you got to your first chat. They said Aladdin will be back May 18th and they hope I enjoy the replacement entertainment that is typically only offered on longer cruises. Even though in my original email I stated that I was disappointed with the alternate offering. I’ve heard that DCL customer service is top notch, but if they can’t even bother a personalized response, it definitely leaves me questioning.

Sad to see some people without a show, but it is due time for a replacement. It'd be nice to see something new since the Dream just got Beauty and the Beast. Maybe a musical version of Moana or bring back Hercules.

Moana would be incredible if done right. It could be an amazing show with the water as a character, the beautiful scenery, and Te Fiti.

I also love the music of Hercules and it would be ripe for comedy, and a chance to incorporate amazing gospel singers.

I got the exact same cookie cutter response to my email as you got to your first chat. They said Aladdin will be back May 18th and they hope I enjoy the replacement entertainment that is typically only offered on longer cruises. Even though in my original email I stated that I was disappointed with the alternate offering. I’ve heard that DCL customer service is top notch, but if they can’t even bother a personalized response, it definitely leaves me questioning.
Thank you for reporting the May 18th return.

I feel bad for those missing it, but relieved for myself with our June 22 cruise.

I also love the music of Hercules and it would be ripe for comedy, and a chance to incorporate amazing gospel singers.

The Hercules show was hysterical. There were 5 muses, but unfortunately one of them was out sick, so “the union” sent a male replacement who performed the role in drag!

Now, if only they'd destroy Believe and Wishes instead...

Seriously...why haven't they replaced Believe already? Everyone already knows what makes the garden grow by now. Let's move on.

And when you get down to it, is there really any difference between Believe, Wishes...or Dreams?

I know I'm in the minority (by far), but I still think the best show of them all was Villains Tonight.

Just trying to clarify, is Aladdin being updated or replaced? Or is it all speculation at this point?

It is unfortunate when large corporations are more concerned with staying on point than actually addressing the concerns of the customer. It is so typical these days that I am not surprised, but still disappoint that Disney can't do better for customers who are paying the cost of a used car for a week's vacation. I am not hard to please. I never complain to staff on vacations, as I know they are usually doing their best. But, all Disney needed to do here was either plan ahead with a comparable replacement, or in the event of a last minute emergency, communicate to customers as soon as possible and apologize. Had they done either of those, I would have been happy enough. It isn't too much to ask. But instead, they insult customers by hiding the change until they are on the ship or hear rumors, and then claim they are doing us a favor by providing better entertainment, which 99% of travelers wouldn't agree with. Like I said above, almost nobody would be happy to show up to a theatrical production to be told they were getting a concert featuring a variety of songs instead.

I keep coming back to this canceled show issue, because frankly, it interests me. I am still looking forward to cruising in a little over a week!!!

Last edited:
It is being updated according to the brief chat I had with the Disney Cruise rep. He said they were "adding more magic" or something like that.
Didn’t someone here say that contracts were up for some of the stars and they are going to NYC to audition for other things. I wonder how much “magic” they’re adding verses how much is just a recast that wasn’t planned well.

Didn’t someone here say that contracts were up for some of the stars and they are going to NYC to audition for other things. I wonder how much “magic” they’re adding verses how much is just a recast that wasn’t planned well.
I don't know how accurate this info is, but apparently there was a casting call hinting at an Aladdin refresh. If that's the case, it could be a matter of bad timing. My guess is that DCL doesn't want to (or can't) launch the new Aladdin show before the movie premiere and if the prior contracts were up, DCL may not have been able to extend them all for a shorter period. Hopefully, the refresh will be a big improvement over the prior version, but it's a bummer for those looking forward to the show, for sure.

Scott from DCL Blog is on the current western Fantasy sailing. No Aladdin, they have 'Stars set sail: Disney on Broadway star Josh Strickland' this week. Usually they have the 'Stars set sail' programs on long cruises. I assume it'll be a different Disney singer each week.

Day 1 Lynn Trefzger
day 2 Wishes
day 3 Nick Paul
day 4 Josh Strickland
day 5 Captain Marvel
day 6 Marcus Monroe
day 7 Believe

If I was on this cruise, I'd have a lot of free time in the evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter