• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aladdin on Hold?

While I don't care for any of the shows on the Fantasy, I do feel bad for those of you who haven't been on her before and will miss Aladdin. I really wish they would just get rid of it, they will have to REALLY do a major re-do of it for me to enjoy it, and I really like the animated version of it. How long has it been on the ship? I hope those of you who are going to miss it, will enjoy the other performers even though they aren't what you were expecting.

How long has it been on the ship? I hope those of you who are going to miss it, will enjoy the other performers even though they aren't what you were expecting.
Aladdin was the launch show, running since March 2012 (along with Wishes and Believe, and now retired An Unforgettable Journey and A Fantasy Come True). Too bad we won't get a chance to see it in two weeks, and I'm not sure if Fantasy is going to be in our future plans. I just hope the replacement act is reasonably entertaining for the kids.

We just got off the Fantasy yesterday and we were chatting with the new Genie and he said they are reworking the show partly due to the new live action movie and introducing some new effects and technology. He claimed to know nothing about contract problems and the previous genie leaving to audition on Broadeay but he may have just being professional.

I was disappointed that they didn't mention the missing show at any point on the cruise and just acted as if it had never existed. I'm sure if we'd bothered to complain we'd have just had the standard response as everyone else that all entertainment is subject to change. We were chatting with the cruise director at one point but I couldn't bring myself to lower the tone and bring it up as my 7 year old was chatting with her.

Incidentally we chatted to the genie because we recognised him from the Aladdin segment of the Dreams show. We couldn't talk long because he was running a character meet queue. We asked him if he was the new genie and commented on how it was strange there was an Aladdin, Genie and Jasmine in the Dreams show but they weren't doing the full show. That's when he told us they were working on it but didn't give a date.

It didn't unduly affect the cruise for us because the other 2 big shows (Dreams + Wishes) are so good (god awful magician on last night though). Also we've recently seen the version in the West End so it couldn't quite live up to that. I think the Tangled sequel on the Magic is still my favourite.

The reworked Aladdin is supposed to begin on the May 18th sailing of the Fantasy. Luckily we will be onboard. I hope they didn't change it too much as I really liked the original production of it. I don't want any of the "live action" movie stuff in the show.

May 18th cruise is also supposed to premEAR the new Aladdin live action movie.

MJ

The reworked Aladdin is supposed to begin on the May 18th sailing of the Fantasy. Luckily we will be onboard. I hope they didn't change it too much as I really liked the original production of it. I don't want any of the "live action" movie stuff in the show.

MJ
I posted in another thread. I talked to several people and the new show will be based on the live action movie. This comes from one of the directors from Toronto where rehearsals and training occur for the ships as well as onboard theater people.

Well, if they are replacing all of them with Disney on Broadway at Sea like they have this week with Josh Strickland, you are getting a legitimate Broadway performer who has originated (in Josh's case and a few others) or at least starred in Disney on Broadway productions. A concert that outside of Disney you would be paying a pretty penny for. I wish I could sail on the Fantasy while this is going on - not only have I always loved the people Disney chooses for these series, but Aladdin is the one show I avoid. Never liked the movie other than the Genie, and when your "11 o'clock number" is well before intermission (for the Broadway show...well before halfway for the ship-based), there's a problem.

Unfortunately, they did not do Josh any favors on stage. He is an incredible singer, we had the chance to see him do an impromptu version of shallow with Sister, Sister.

However, in the WD theater, with just a piano, it was pretty empty, and the crowd grew less dense quickly.

It was not a good setup for him. As someone who has been on stage, I felt for him, but had to leave.

DCL’s handling of this was weak. They set up passengers to be disappointed and crew to have to field many complaints.

MJ
I hope they stick with the May 18th date for bringing back the Aladdin show -- we will be onboard that sailing as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter