• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Agree w/ Pete on Holiday Buffet Extortion

I think the holiday period price increase at certain restaurants is price gouging indeed and told them so in my last survey (they sometimes send surveys when you stay in their resorts).

They charge more for the resort rooms at holiday/peak times already, now more for the meals. Some restaurants are very hard to get into anyway so there is a finite amount of space/time/meals they can serve. Just like there are a finite number of rooms. The argument that more staff/food/electricity(?) is needed to service holiday/peak times doesn't hold up for me.
Does it cost more to obtain the food/prep/cook and serve during certain times of the year? I didn't notice anything different at the buffets we went to recently, but we paid about $5 each more per meal. Certainly the food supplied doesn't cost more for only a couple weeks here and there during peak times, then go back to "normal". If it is because they require more CMs to handle the increased work load of a holiday/peak period then the extra revenue from the added rooms/meals bought would cover it.
Apparently we are having to pay higher room rates and now higher meal rates during these busiest times, to offset those discounted prices we get during the "slow" times. :rolleyes:
I say this as someone who loves going to WDW, owns DVC and is also a Disney stockholder - so Disney folks if you are reading this thread -- room rate differences at certain times of year is something that is more familiar and usual in the entire hotel industry but this restaurant policy leaves a bad taste in my mouth and really spoils much of the "magic" of being there.
Unfortunatly it's called supply & demand. The more ppl demand, the more the charge to supply(lol).:laughing: Sorry, but seriously though, price gouging is against the law in FL, it passed after hurricane Andrew hit & everyon jacked up prices for everything from batteries & plywood to milk & water.

mandymommy,

I don't want to pay any more than I have to either.
All I'm doing is pointing out that as long as there's a market for it and people willing to pay it...they'll do it.
But I don't think we should demonize Disney for doing the same thing.
The fact that prices vary depending on the season is no secret or nothing new.

Point: What's the cost of a Dozen Roses now?
What's the cost of a Dozen Roses in 3 weeks?

It all goes back to Pete's original comment, that Disney is gauging guests during the Holiday and it's extortion. I'm just saying they are no different than anyone else.
It's true that other businesses do it(logical fallacy of Tu Quoque). Doesn't make it right, especially for a business that supposedly prides itself on family values, etc.
And to compare it to the roses analogy, I'd say that's rather a non-sequitur. You do not need roses to exist, not even on Valentine's Day (okay, maybe some do!). But you do need to eat. If you're staying onsite, you've already paid a premium for being there at a holiday time. To make you pay much more for no clear benefit for food that you have to eat anyway whilst you are there...that's akin to extortion. Maybe I exaggerate a little...one can still eat CS, I suppose...but it certainly seems like an unfair business practice.
Oh, and the Ad Hominem attack on the poster for using Comcast? Another logical fallacy, to discredit said poster's point of view. Not very nice.

I heard that too

I don't know for sure, but I believe it because several other business owners I've spoken with told me that is how the contracts work with Coca-Cola; and Pepsi for that matter.

It all depends on volume and since Disney pumps out the soft drinks it wouldn't surprise me if Coke pays Disney to supply soft drinks to guests.

What?!?! If they give deluxe guest perks over other people visiting the parks I think I might have to protest. I am a local passholder who enjoys visiting the parks in the afternoons or weekends. We pay a huge amount for our passes and Disney continues to add more special ticketed parties that it has become difficult to go to the MK for a couple rides and fireworks.:mad: Now what about the less affluent locals? I know some family's that would have to make huge sacrifices to drop the $$$ to just visit one park for one day, let alone stay in a value. Could you imagine having to explain to your kids why you are waiting 90+ min to ride Peter Pan but those people get to jump right on because the are staying at a extra special hotel. Basically it would be like saying the more money you spend the better we treat you! It's obvious that Disney's focusing more and more on the big spenders and less and less on the little guys that live in the back yard. What a shame to forget those who have had passes for 15+ years and came when no one else would. Anyone run down here in the fall of 01? (sept 11th)
Yeah, it kinda ticked me off too! If you live in FL then you've heard of the Sun Senntinel, that's the paper down here it was in. The fast passes will supposedly start w/ deluxe & DVC guests, then moderate, then value, then if there are any time slots left, off property guests. The article, however, didn't give a time frame for when this was supposed to start happening. Oh, & about your question about fall '01- yeah, I was there the difference in how they treated guests(especially passholders) is like night & day. They don't seem to care as much for thier passholders any more. I'm not saying I want them to kiss my tush, just alittle respect as a person & not cattle is all I'm looking for.

This will be even more fun...having everyone wonder what was edited out. ;) BTW, I can be bribed -- so I'll tell all (if the price is right!). :teeth:

Can I join in too. I know what was edited out. I read it and then typed my response but when I posted I saw the comment gone. I then went back and edited my reply too...causing me to mess up and double posted.

I want to see Will too...please...I can be easily bought

Going on a cruise with you all would be fun....I will have to send in to get a quote.

I completely agree with the outrage regarding the increased buffet prices at "holiday" time. The reason I put holiday in quotes, is because when I made my ADR's for June, I was told that holiday pricing was in effect for the entire summer! This is ridiculous! A Disney trip is always expensive, but the holiday pricing + the diminished DDP, really pisses me off.

I understand that Disney is a business and businesses want to turn a profit, but they are going to hurt themselves in the long run as more and more people are not able to afford a Disney vacation.

I completely agree with the outrage regarding the increased buffet prices at "holiday" time. The reason I put holiday in quotes, is because when I made my ADR's for June, I was told that holiday pricing was in effect for the entire summer! This is ridiculous! A Disney trip is always expensive, but the holiday pricing + the diminished DDP, really pisses me off.

I understand that Disney is a business and businesses want to turn a profit, but they are going to hurt themselves in the long run as more and more people are not able to afford a Disney vacation.

I agree. A time of economic downturn is NOT a time to be perceived as price-gouging and greedy. I think they're shooting themselves in the foot on this one.

It's insanity! Pure and simple ! Sticking it to families that have to travel when the kids are out of school. And I totally agree with Pete about most of it being mediocre food at exorbitant prices. :sad2: The way they cheaped out on the DDP this year was bad enough but now this.

I feel a letter/email writing campaign coming on ;)

Probably the next step is to have a holiday surcharge for the DDP or tiered pricing depending on the season.

Did you guys see MousePlanet today? http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=wd080204mg

The story on seasonal dining surcharges
We've been receiving some e-mail asking about dining surcharges during peak seasons, but we didn't want to report on them until we had a response from Walt Disney World. We've finally received that response, so here's the story.

"During certain times of the year, many of our Walt Disney World food and beverage locations experience increased Guest demand," said Disney spokewoman Zoraya Suarez. "As a result, new seasonal pricing has been implemented for select fixed-price dining locations during these periods, specifically during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, spring break, and summer vacation months. In other words, seasonal pricing is not a surcharge, it is the price of the dining experience during certain times of the year."

The dining locations effected by the seasonal price increases are:

1900 Park Fare
Akershus
Biergarten
Boma
Cape May Café
Chef Mickey’s
Cinderella’s Royal Table
Crystal Palace
Garden Grill
Hollywood and Vine
Liberty Tree Tavern (dinner only)
‘Ohana
Trails End
Tusker House

These price increases were and are in effect for:

November 18 through November 24, 2007
December 16, 2007 through January 5, 2008
March 16, 2008 through March 29, 2008
May 25, 2008 through July 5, 2008

Projecting forward, it's likely that we'll see them again for:

November 23 through November 29, 2008
December 14, 2008 through January 4, 2009

Again, the seasonal increase is "a result of high demand at select fixed-price dining locations," according to Suarez. So apparently, it's a supply-and-demand thing. Rather than keeping prices steady year-round and just dealing with people who can't get reservations, Disney has elected to see what price the market will bear and take the risk of pricing some people out in order to pull in a little extra cash from food & beverage operations.

The net effect will still have the same number of people mobbing the restaurants to keep them full, but the mix will be shifted from those with the foresight to get their reservations early enough to those either with larger budgets or the Disney Dining Plan who might take a little longer to reserve their table. So be aware, if you're planning to be at the parks during these affected times, you may need to either budget a bit more for food during your trip if you're planning to eat at one of the affected restaurants or plan to sign up for a Disney Dining Plan, which will keep your cost steady regardless of meal cost.

THIS TOTALLY BLOWS!

I am going to have to squish in all of the already hugely overpriced dining experiences into the first 3 days of our trip to avoid the freakin outrageous upcharges.....DURING VALUE SEASON! :headache:

This is soooooooo not cool.

I just dont understand the thinking at Disney sometimes. There normal prices are already outrageous. I can completely understand a 'Holiday' surcharge but not a seasonal surcharge. Selling repeat Disney vacations to the spouse keeps getting harder and harder!

If you think last weeks rant was bad - wait until you hear this weeks. I blew a gasket when I heard their FORCING you to take a photo package with the Princess buffet at Norway now. Really, I'm going to have a stroke on the air one of these days. It also doesn't help that my back is acting up, and the pain is making me - shall we say - grumpy :)

Pete

If you think last weeks rant was bad - wait until you hear this weeks. I blew a gasket when I heard their FORCING you to take a photo package with the Princess buffet at Norway now. Really, I'm going to have a stroke on the air one of these days. It also doesn't help that my back is acting up, and the pain is making me - shall we say - grumpy :)

Pete

:scared1: :eek: That is just insane!! Can't wait to hear about it.

Sorry your back is acting up :guilty:

I agree with Pete on the dining and picture prices. Forcing someone to buy a small photo package is stupid. Practically everyone owns a digital camera, so it's not even as though you are getting a photo with superb quality.

Not all kids/adults like having their pictures taken, I know my kids don't. I have threaten them on every trip that if they give me a hard time about taking pictures I'm making then ride It's A Small World over and over again...so far it's worked! They especially hate waiting in line to have their picture taken. (I'll need a new threat.)

Well, the situation is not going to change until people stop falling all over themselves trying to book these overpriced meals. :sad2:

Pete
this made me glad I dont have daughters
sad

I am going to have to squish in all of the already hugely overpriced dining experiences into the first 3 days of our trip to avoid the freakin outrageous upcharges.....DURING VALUE SEASON! :headache:

This is soooooooo not cool.

Time to get a car and dine off property. :drive: I would rather pack a lunch than pay extra just because they have me over a barrel. It really isn't a fair price- if it was you know they would increase the prices altogether. But the truth is no one would put up with it. That just means they are trying to take advantage of customers during the busy season- when there are more folks that come to WDW totally unaware, and will not notice until they get their bill. :mad:

UrsulasShadow
Another logical fallacy, to discredit said poster's point of view. Not very nice.

I'm not going to get into a name calling war with you, that seems childish, You have your opinion and I have mine.
I simply pointing out the Cable is Notorious for Price hikes. And if someone chooses to use the product it's their choice. Some like the product and think it's worth the money. Other think it's too much and choose not to use it anymore.
That's all. Same with these prices changes that are being mentioned here.
And all remember, Disney is 100% optional and find it odd that people get so upset if of a special meal goes up $10, then spend the night in a room that costs $200-$300 a night. Where's the perspective?
But I give up trying to point out examples how prices change everwhere.
Just don't demonize me for not thinking they are "extorting" tourists who Choose to spend their vacation money there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter