• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Agree w/ Pete on Holiday Buffet Extortion

All I know is that I've given a heck of a lot more money to Disney over the last year than I have Comcast!!!

Personally, we've already started cutting back...I had the DDP on a package for a quick trip in Feb., called before final payment was due and cancelled it because I felt like it just wasn't worth the time and trouble to plan our vacation around meal times for food that has steadily been going down in quality, but up in price.

Also, instead of planning a long trip back to WDW later in the year with the whole family, we've decided to go a spend a few days @ Disneyland instead (staying in an off-site hotel and eating most of our meals at non-Disney restaurants).

Now, we do have the cruise to look forward to in '09, but have decided not to go back to WDW until that time. We will do a 3-day post cruise stay and that's it.

As much as I love Disney, I've been really disappointed lately with some of the things I've encountered...the CM I spoke with when cancelling the DDP couldn't find my ADR for Le Cellier and was very rude when I insisted that she keep looking as I wanted to make sure it was cancelled to free up the space for others. She indicated it was taken care of, but I really think she never found it (yes, I had the conf. #). Just little things like that are really starting to bug me.

And yes, I know we can't expect every CM to be happy everytime we call about something because they're people just like us that have good days and bad days...but in the past they usually were!

Did you all see the new information that Arkershus is now going to be priced the same as CRT with the photo package being included in the price.

Here are the prices:
Breakfast: $28.99 ages 10 and older; $12.99 ages 3-9
Lunch: $30.99 ages 10 and older; $13.99 ages 3-9
Dinner: $35.99 ages 10 and older; $14.99 ages 3-9

Holiday Pricing will be:

Breakfast: $32.99 ages 10 and older; $14.99 ages 3-9
Lunch: $34.99 ages 10 and older; $15.99 ages 3-9
Dinner: $39.99 ages 10 and older; $16.99 ages 3-9

People use to have the option of paying the premium for CRT but now they don't have that choice with the Norway Princess meal being the same price.

I have been having a similar discussion on another thread.

If I was to return next year and do the exact same vacation I just experienced in December it would cost me an additonal $1000 with no added value. That is a huge increase for one year...really this would be the increase for a trip only four month away.

You are right UrsulasShadow we will have to speak with our wallets.

Nicely put:thumbsup2

And if kmk1180 some how wants to compare cable companys to how Disney is upping the prices of certain restaurants, you could. What if you were charged more to watch the Super Bowl or the Emmy's? It is a special event and a lot of people will want to watch them so hey it's only 3 or 4 bucks more and people won't mind since it's a "special program".....

It's sleazy business no matter how you look at!

On a side note, when pricing our trip to DLR I was shocked to see that our price had gone up approx. $1000 over what we paid to go the same week for the same amount of time a couple of years ago. Surprisingly, our flights were about the same cost...I thought for sure they'd be a lot higher!

Arrrrggghhh, someone quoted me before I deleted...and I'm trying sooo hard not to be a sea-witch!

I think there were some valid points made and the post shouldn't have been deleted. My sea-witch meter did not go off when reading it. :teeth:

Never mind.... i figured it out all by my self like a big girl.... Ha Ha:rotfl:

I don't think it was very "sea witch" like but only the two of us will know what you wrote! I'll keep your secret if you promise to let me keep my voice!:worship: Ha Ha

Congrats on winning the Podcast cruise!:thumbsup2 I was in the running for the one in December but didn't win, but I think I may have my sister talked into going to the podcast cruise! I couldn't imagine a better way to experience my first cruise than with the crew from the Dis!

Do it, do it, do it!!! How fun would that be to go with your sister and meet all of us crazies!

Does this change in the Norway pricing effect the Dining plan? I mean, I was counting on the Norway breakfast being 1 TS for my November trip, will it be increased to 2TS like CRT? I certainly hope not!!!

This will be even more fun...having everyone wonder what was edited out. ;) BTW, I can be bribed -- so I'll tell all (if the price is right!). :teeth:

Do it, do it, do it!!! How fun would that be to go with your sister and meet all of us crazies!

I want to! I almost went to the meet in Dec. but chickened out.... I was a new listener then. I will be at the next one for sure! I live so close I may go to them both!

I think the holiday period price increase at certain restaurants is price gouging indeed and told them so in my last survey (they sometimes send surveys when you stay in their resorts).

They charge more for the resort rooms at holiday/peak times already, now more for the meals. Some restaurants are very hard to get into anyway so there is a finite amount of space/time/meals they can serve. Just like there are a finite number of rooms. The argument that more staff/food/electricity(?) is needed to service holiday/peak times doesn't hold up for me.
Does it cost more to obtain the food/prep/cook and serve during certain times of the year? I didn't notice anything different at the buffets we went to recently, but we paid about $5 each more per meal. Certainly the food supplied doesn't cost more for only a couple weeks here and there during peak times, then go back to "normal". If it is because they require more CMs to handle the increased work load of a holiday/peak period then the extra revenue from the added rooms/meals bought would cover it.
Apparently we are having to pay higher room rates and now higher meal rates during these busiest times, to offset those discounted prices we get during the "slow" times. :rolleyes:
I say this as someone who loves going to WDW, owns DVC and is also a Disney stockholder - so Disney folks if you are reading this thread -- room rate differences at certain times of year is something that is more familiar and usual in the entire hotel industry but this restaurant policy leaves a bad taste in my mouth and really spoils much of the "magic" of being there.

This will be even more fun...having everyone wonder what was edited out. ;) BTW, I can be bribed -- so I'll tell all (if the price is right!). :teeth:

I'll let you come in and look at Will in the cistern with the night-vision goggles, if you don't...

mandymommy,

I don't want to pay any more than I have to either.
All I'm doing is pointing out that as long as there's a market for it and people willing to pay it...they'll do it.
But I don't think we should demonize Disney for doing the same thing.
The fact that prices vary depending on the season is no secret or nothing new.

Point: What's the cost of a Dozen Roses now?
What's the cost of a Dozen Roses in 3 weeks?

It all goes back to Pete's original comment, that Disney is gauging guests during the Holiday and it's extortion. I'm just saying they are no different than anyone else.

akastitch,
I'm sorry but I can't help but find it funny that your talking about prices being too high when you have comcast.net.
I find it kind of ironic. Maybe it's different where you live but here Comcast is sooo much more expensive compared to satilite. I can't justify the price difference.
I know it's apple to oranges with cable and Disney but it just shows it all goes to what people are willing to spend to have what makes them happy.
If comcast works for you..great. Doesn't for me, fine.
That's what will happen with these prices we're talking about. It it's too much people won't spend it and it'll change.
???????:confused3 You don't have many other options when you don't have a landline phone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter