• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Agree w/ Pete on Holiday Buffet Extortion

TheWho

DIS Veteran'
As a frequent traveler during the July 4th week (no choice, kids out of school, best time for me to take vacation), we hit our share of buffets. I also agree that hitting us with a "holiday tax" by adding a few bucks to the buffet price is shameless. I could care less if they add lobster to the menu. Going to a counter service is not an option. For example, we love going to the Crystal Palace at lunch to cool off, re-charge the batteries and eat casually. Now, the suits figured they can squeeze a few more bucks out of us. Give me break, I agree with Pete's rant on this one.

Dave in NJ

I agree with Pete also. It is really petty of Disney to try and squeeze a few bucks more out of us by jacking up the prices of the buffets. Disney already charges outrageously high prices for their food and the price shouldn't increase just because there will be more people available who will want to dine at these eateries. :sad2:

~Simon

As a frequent traveler during the July 4th week (no choice, kids out of school, best time for me to take vacation), we hit our share of buffets. I also agree that hitting us with a "holiday tax" by adding a few bucks to the buffet price is shameless. I could care less if they add lobster to the menu. Going to a counter service is not an option. For example, we love going to the Crystal Palace at lunch to cool off, re-charge the batteries and eat casually. Now, the suits figured they can squeeze a few more bucks out of us. Give me break, I agree with Pete's rant on this one.

Dave in NJ

Disney also started an extra charge on week-ends for thier hotels that they never used to, even if you book an entire week!

Ditto! But, what do we do about it? We can write in our protest, but I don't really see anything changing. It's just plain wrong and quite unfriendly to your guests.

I agree with Pete also. It is really petty of Disney to try and squeeze a few bucks more out of us by jacking up the prices of the buffets. Disney already charges outrageously high prices for their food and the price shouldn't increase just because there will be more people available who will want to dine at these eateries. :sad2:

~Simon

I've also been told that Coca Cola doesn't charge them for the soft drinks in exchange for free advertising all over the parks. So the $4 for a soda is pure profit for them if this is true!

Disney used to be our escape from reality, but it's becoming way too expesive even considering the deals they give to Fl reidents. There was an article in the paper down here that they want to start doing fast passes according to what hotel you are staying in, deluxe resorts 1st & on down the line! All they seem to care about is money, I know they need to make a profit to stay open, but come on!

I've also been told that Coca Cola doesn't charge them for the soft drinks in exchange for free advertising all over the parks. So the $4 for a soda is pure profit for them if this is true!

Wait, if they are charging $4 for a bottle of soda that they don't pay anything for, that is pretty much robbery! What an obscene and tasteless thing for Disney to do. They should be very ashamed of themselves... :guilty:

I've already decided that all the price increases for hotels and food have made it much more attractive to stay offsite. Combine that with the downfall in Orlando's occupancy rates, and there's going to be even MORE attractive deals to keep me eating/sleeping offsite. Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE Disney resort fan. I love the all-inclusive aspect of it, the 24/7 Disney-fication, but I have to honestly say....this last trip, when I stayed in a vacation home, I really didn't miss staying onsite. As a matter of fact, I found it very comfortable.

You can write all the letters you want, but until you speak to the wallet, I'm afraid Disney won't care how indignant you are. Just don't pay it. Try off-site, just for one trip. I guarantee that if enough people do that, prices will come RIGHT down.

I think screaming from the hilltops (or a podcat or a message board)is not a bad thing.
Will it reverse the policy?, most likely not.

Am I not going to stop visting WDW and their buffets, most likely not.

But at least, for example, when airlines add a fuel surcharge or an added charge because of new security concerns, you can make the arguement.

Adding an additional charge just because it's the crowded holiday time is just shallow, no value added for the customer. I can see the power point chart now at Disney Corporate charting the additional revenue.

Dave in NJ

This is like the DDP where a good tip is (or now, was) already included even if you want to pay it or not. If the server was horrible, he/she can do an awful job but still get a good tip on top of it... :(

But, what do we do about it? We can write in our protest, but I don't really see anything changing.

Not only write, but don't go to the buffets when the pricing is in effect. That will be a clear message. As long as they can fill those places during the "holidays" :rolleyes: I'm sure it will continue.

The worst part is that most of the guests that come to WDW are really clueless about these things and won't realize they are getting gouged at all. Heck, half of the people on the DIS are excited that they are having more Pirate and Princess parties. My hat goes off to whoever thought up this idea to get more money-it's genius- but mine is going to stay in my wallet.

Not only write, but don't go to the buffets when the pricing is in effect. That will be a clear message. As long as they can fill those places during the "holidays" :rolleyes: I'm sure it will continue.

The worst part is that most of the guests that come to WDW are really clueless about these things and won't realize they are getting gouged at all. Heck, half of the people on the DIS are excited that they are having more Pirate and Princess parties. My hat goes off to whoever thought up this idea to get more money-it's genius- but mine is going to stay in my wallet.

Exactly! As long as people are paying Disney doesn't care! Guest satisfaction is no longer thier #1 priority

Not that I disagree with the paying more thing but to play devil's advocate...during the peak days it does take more staff, more operational costs, overhead, ect. and thus cost more to operate the parks.
I don't like $4 soda but in the end Disney World is a Business and operates to make money.

And being a former employee, I know there are alot of myths out there about Disney, and trust me, almost all of them are false.
Heck, MythBusters could do a whole show on Disney Myths.
So I doubt they get soda for free. Think about it, the amount of Coke product people drink in 1 day in the parks? There's no way that Coke would lose that must just to get advertising.
Disney get's it cheap I'm sure, like any other major corperation buying and selling anything, but not free.

I agree w/Mindy (Ursula) -- protest with your wallet! Money (or lack of) is really the only thing that motivates Disney.

Heck, MythBusters could do a whole show on Disney Myths.
So I doubt they get soda for free. Think about it, the amount of Coke product people drink in 1 day in the parks? There's no way that Coke would lose that must just to get advertising.
Disney get's it cheap I'm sure, like any other major corperation buying and selling anything, but not free.

The Coca-Cola company pays enormous amounts of money to other businesses to exclusively carry its products. Also the cost of the syrup to make a fountain drink is very small in relation to the cost for the consumer. That is without any exclusive contracts. That is a fact.

I work in a restraunt, & know the cost of fountain sodas. Trust me, even if they aren't geting it for free, it' darn close. Especially when you factor in how much they charge for a soft drink!:scared1:

Disney used to be our escape from reality, but it's becoming way too expesive even considering the deals they give to Fl reidents. There was an article in the paper down here that they want to start doing fast passes according to what hotel you are staying in, deluxe resorts 1st & on down the line! All they seem to care about is money, I know they need to make a profit to stay open, but come on!

What?!?! If they give deluxe guest perks over other people visiting the parks I think I might have to protest. I am a local passholder who enjoys visiting the parks in the afternoons or weekends. We pay a huge amount for our passes and Disney continues to add more special ticketed parties that it has become difficult to go to the MK for a couple rides and fireworks.:mad: Now what about the less affluent locals? I know some family's that would have to make huge sacrifices to drop the $$$ to just visit one park for one day, let alone stay in a value. Could you imagine having to explain to your kids why you are waiting 90+ min to ride Peter Pan but those people get to jump right on because the are staying at a extra special hotel. Basically it would be like saying the more money you spend the better we treat you! It's obvious that Disney's focusing more and more on the big spenders and less and less on the little guys that live in the back yard. What a shame to forget those who have had passes for 15+ years and came when no one else would. Anyone run down here in the fall of 01? (sept 11th)

akastitch,
I'm sorry but I can't help but find it funny that your talking about prices being too high when you have comcast.net.
I find it kind of ironic. Maybe it's different where you live but here Comcast is sooo much more expensive compared to satilite. I can't justify the price difference.
I know it's apple to oranges with cable and Disney but it just shows it all goes to what people are willing to spend to have what makes them happy.
If comcast works for you..great. Doesn't for me, fine.
That's what will happen with these prices we're talking about. It it's too much people won't spend it and it'll change.

akastitch,
I'm sorry but I can't help but find it funny that your talking about prices being too high when you have comcast.net.
I find it kind of ironic. Maybe it's different where you live but here Comcast is sooo much more expensive compared to satilite. I can't justify the price difference.
I know it's apple to oranges with cable and Disney but it just shows it all goes to what people are willing to spend to have what makes them happy.
If comcast works for you..great. Doesn't for me, fine.
That's what will happen with these prices we're talking about. It it's too much people won't spend it and it'll change.

I'm going to take a guess that akastitch's Comcast is the $99 per month triple play offer which most people have. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter