ABD Backstage Magic 2/20 - 2/25/11 *** Close to Selling Out***

1pm? Really.

Lindsay,

Keep in mind that I am just going by the information on the ABD site. I'm sure Kevin will clear this up if I am wrong. But the ABD site says arrive at LAX no later than 1pm. Then it says on departure day that there are shuttles going to LAX or SNA at 11am, 1pm and 4pm.

I am just basing my flight arrangements on those times. As I said I'm sure Kevin will clear it up if we don't actually need to be at LAX by 1pm. I'm thinking about taking an American Airlines flight that will get me there about 11:30.

Hope this helps!

See ya!

1pm? Really. :scared1: That means I will be taking a 5:30am flight out of the airport that is 1.5 hours away from my house. To say I will be tired, is a bit of an understatement :rotfl:

Ah, the joys of living in the pseudo-rural south!

Pure-excitement will see me through, I'm sure! :banana:

ABD asks that everyone be "on the ground" by 1:00pm.

This allows the transportation folks to make sure everyone is at the hotel, checked in and has a chance to freshen up (or nap) before the Welcome Dinner.

The good news is that the first day doesnt have a lot planned activities, so that if you need to make it an early night....you can.

That being said...the next morning starts early with a fullmorning and part of the afternoon.

Hope that helps.

I have been on the 9am Minneapolis to LAX flight more times than I can count. It arrives at 11am, so that will be great. It's nice when my work travel knowledge comes in handy. :cool1:

Jen - We met on the Backstage tour last year. It will be great to meet your husband and spend time with you again. You won't be able to say you haven't been to Disneyland anymore. :-) Michael and I will also be driving down. We are planning on staying two days on both ends of the trip.

Where do you like to stay? We will also come down before and try to stay after.

Still getting the hang of the boards. I thought I subscribed by email and then only got one post.

It is great to be part of a group of planners who don't think I'm crazy when I talk plans for FEB11. I have 3 trips to WDW before this one in Feb to Disneyland but never having been to Disneyland - it is a bit more stressful.

Hello!

It's great to see that this trip is almost sold out! I was sure it would be the last one to sell out since it's the first one after the winter holidays and vacation.

Carol and I haven't totally decided on where we're staying before the trip. We keep going round and round about it. We'll keep you posted.

And you're right - planning is half the fun!!

Michael

Where do you like to stay? We will also come down before and try to stay after.

Still getting the hang of the boards. I thought I subscribed by email and then only got one post.

It is great to be part of a group of planners who don't think I'm crazy when I talk plans for FEB11. I have 3 trips to WDW before this one in Feb to Disneyland but never having been to Disneyland - it is a bit more stressful.

One of the nice things about this trip is that it gives you the primo first tour of DLR. I'd never planned less, since so many things are set and taken care of, but always felt like I was getting the best of the best in terms of touring.

With extra days you can try different dining options and will have time to return to your favorites and see things not emphasized during the tour.

I have always stayed on property since getting an annual pass because the AP room discounts bring the DLR hotels into my price range. The discount has often been 40% off rack. They unfortunately sometimes don't announce the discounts until the month or a few weeks before, and since this is a holiday week the prices will be at a higher rate even with the discount. The Disneyland Hotel's central courtyard will be undergoing heavy renovation and construction this year, so I would stick with the Paradise Pier or Grand Californian for this trip. The PP has large, lovely rooms and nice theming. Their theme park view rooms look down into California Adventure and are very fun. It is also across the street from the Grand, and therefore only a slightly longer walk.

Many of the local hotels (HoJos, Candy Cane Inn, Fairview Inn and the Annabella to name a few) have devoted fans. I like the immersion factor of being on property so I haven't ventured out to Harbor Boulevard. There is lots of good information on the Disneyland threads about the different options.

We are adding two days after the ABD trip, that Friday and Saturday night. Still trying to decide whether or not to fly in a day early. Anyone who is coming in a day or two early, what do you plan to do those extra days? The Friday and Saturday after the ABD trip, we are planning on touring more of Disneyand and California Adventure, but not sure what we would do if we came in the one day early? Any suggestions?

Bannermouse

Wanted to add to the post that if we would arrive Saturday, Feb. 19th, we would arrive at LAX at 1:10 pm. Coming in on Sunday, the 20th, we would arrive at LAX at 12:30 pm which is the earliest flight on Southwest from New Orleans.

Bannermouse

Still trying to decide whether or not to fly in a day early. Anyone who is coming in a day or two early, what do you plan to do those extra days? The Friday and Saturday after the ABD trip, we are planning on touring more of Disneyand and California Adventure, but not sure what we would do if we came in the one day early? Any suggestions?

I'm in the same situation at the moment before booking airfare. Originally, I was thinking of going to Las Vegas after the tour, but that didn't work out.

I've always wanted to visit the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library (about an hour north of LA), so I might do that either before or after. Decisions, decisions!

Hi everyone. I just received confirmation that our reservation for this trip has been booked, so as Kevin said in the confirmation email, WE'RE GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!

It will just be my wife, Marci, and I. We're going to leave the kids with my parents who live in San Diego, although my wife is very nervous about this since the kids will be 22 months and 4 years old. We live in Walden, NY and will be traveling out a few days early to visit my parents before the adventure.

We're looking forward to meeting everyone.

We're staying a couple of nights both pre- and post- ABD. We'll be flying in on Friday night, the 18th, and I booked a room at Hojo's, based on stuff I read on the Disneyland board, plus a reasonable rate. (I think it was $98/night with the AAA discount). Our two post-nights (2/25 & 2/26), we used our DVC points at GCV.

We contemplated spending all of our extra time in the parks, but I've never been to California, so I kinda want to do the cheesy, touristy thing! ;) I researched a few bus companies that run all-day trips to see the sights, and the prices weren't bad at all. Jimmy also has a friend who lives in San Diego, so we might try to work something out with him and his family, as well! Our post nights will definitely be spent exclusively at Disney, though!

Also, I think I goofed with our airfare. I didn't do enough of my homework, and never realized there were set times for the return shuttles. I booked us on the first flight out to Newark, departing at 7 am. With the time difference, it should get us back into NJ around 3:30 p.m. I figured that was our best bet, since we'll both be returning to work the following morning. (ICK! :headache:) So, I guess now I'll be researching shuttle companies, too! My bad...

Also, I think I goofed with our airfare. I didn't do enough of my homework, and never realized there were set times for the return shuttles. I booked us on the first flight out to Newark, departing at 7 am. With the time difference, it should get us back into NJ around 3:30 p.m. I figured that was our best bet, since we'll both be returning to work the following morning. (ICK! :headache:) So, I guess now I'll be researching shuttle companies, too! My bad...

If you booked this within 24 hours, you may still be able to get a refund or change it without penalty. If not, just wait until your airline inevitably makes a schedule change, then you can call them and ask to change the flight, and they will most likely allow you to change it without penalty, as long as there's space on the flight.

Concerning return transportation to LAX from the Grand California, (and I am sure Kevin will correct this if I am wrong), but on the First Dis/ADB trip, the return transfer to the airport was only valid during the last day of the ABD itinerary.

If you were staying past the last ABD day, you had to get yourself to the airport.

We are staying two extra days post trip at the GC, and figure on getting a town car or shuttle for our mid Sunday morning trip to LAX on 2/27/11.

Anyone interested in sharing a town car or van?

Hi everyone. I just received confirmation that our reservation for this trip has been booked, so as Kevin said in the confirmation email, WE'RE GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!

It will just be my wife, Marci, and I. We're going to leave the kids with my parents who live in San Diego, although my wife is very nervous about this since the kids will be 22 months and 4 years old. We live in Walden, NY and will be traveling out a few days early to visit my parents before the adventure.

We're looking forward to meeting everyone.

Welcome to what I am confident will be the most fun of all the ABD trips! And remember, San Diego is a short drive from where we'll be! Our son is in the Navy and when he and his family were stationed in San Diego they'd drive up to meet us at Disneyland.

Concerning return transportation to LAX from the Grand California, (and I am sure Kevin will correct this if I am wrong), but on the First Dis/ADB trip, the return transfer to the airport was only valid during the last day of the ABD itinerary.

If you were staying past the last ABD day, you had to get yourself to the airport.

We are staying two extra days post trip at the GC, and figure on getting a town car or shuttle for our mid Sunday morning trip to LAX on 2/27/11.

Anyone interested in sharing a town car or van?

You know, I sent so many emails with questions to poor Kevin, that I could very possibly be confused/wrong, but...

I could've sworn that he said they would still handle the transfers if you decided to stay a few extra days, provided you were leaving from the GC. So, definitely wait on confirmation from him before you book your car/van!

I wish we could share with you, but we'll be leaving when it's still dark outside...UGH! I'm already dreading that part! ;)

And, Mike, I think we're just going to stick it out with the airfare that we booked. I would rather have to pay for a shuttle or car service to the airport and still get home at a decent hour. We're going to be wiped out as it is. Getting home Sunday NIGHT would be even worse! But, thanks for the tip! :thumbsup2

Ignore what I just said in that previous post! :lmao:

I went back and checked my emails with Kevin, and he said that ABD will still provide transportation if you book the extra nights through them.

Okay...keeping my mouth shut now! Sorry! :guilty:

You know, I sent so many emails with questions to poor Kevin, that I could very possibly be confused/wrong, but...

I could've sworn that he said they would still handle the transfers if you decided to stay a few extra days, provided you were leaving from the GC. So, definitely wait on confirmation from him before you book your car/van!

I wish we could share with you, but we'll be leaving when it's still dark outside...UGH! I'm already dreading that part! ;)

And, Mike, I think we're just going to stick it out with the airfare that we booked. I would rather have to pay for a shuttle or car service to the airport and still get home at a decent hour. We're going to be wiped out as it is. Getting home Sunday NIGHT would be even worse! But, thanks for the tip! :thumbsup2

I am sure Kevin will chime in on the return to airport transfer issue, as I said before I may be wrong on what I remember - it was a very busy trip but tons of fun!

Frank

You know, I sent so many emails with questions to poor Kevin, that I could very possibly be confused/wrong,

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has sent the poor man a bunch of emails! I can't imagine what it's like trying to schedule all 3 of these trips and all of us! :scared1:

I'm back.

ABD will provide transportation as long as you remain under the ABD reservation.

If you are returning to the airport on the last day of the Adventure, ABD will provide transportation well into the evening hours on that last day.

If you book additional night through ABD, they will provide transportation.

If you book additional nights through any other outlet (such as directly through Disney, DVC, on your own etc) then you are responsible for your own transportation.

This is also true on the front end of trip.

ABD will provide transportation to the Hollywood Renaissance from LAX or the Grand Californian on the day the adventure begins. They will also provide transportation if you book additional nights at the HR through ABD.

If you book additional nights through any other outlet (such as directly throughthe hotel or any other outlet) then you are responsible for your own transportation.

Hope that helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter